HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Beggars of Burke
Posted by: Evil Whitey ()
Date: July 15, 2014 09:52AM

Did anybody see the man begging for money in front of the Chipotle on Burke Center Pkwy yesterday? He was hopping around with a giant poster board asking for money or a job. He had his wife and child with him. Very strange.

Could not tell whether he was an out of work Latino or one of those Gypsy professional beggars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beggars of Burke
Posted by: begging yer pardon ()
Date: July 15, 2014 09:54AM

"Professional beggars".

I would guess that most are?

Or, are you thinking there are some doing it as a hobby, and others are just amatuers, waiting for a call-up to the pros?

Posted by: 7VFFj ()
Date: July 15, 2014 09:54AM

Evil Whitey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anybody see the man begging for money in front
> of the Chipotle on Burke Center Pkwy yesterday? He
> was hopping around with a giant poster board
> asking for money or a job. He had his wife and
> child with him. Very strange.
>
> Could not tell whether he was an out of work
> Latino or one of those Gypsy professional beggars.

They're starting to show up more and more in the county. I was in DC yesterday and was surprised that I didn't see very many homeless people or people begging as in previous years. I guess they figured all the money's in Faifax.

Posted by: Burke resident ()
Date: May 24, 2017 04:56PM

The Job posting is BS btw. I offered him a job and he said "I need to stay with my family." They are all over Burke now and they know people in this town have money to give so they don't even bother working.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:33PM

Posted by: Illegalize begging ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:12PM

They are in West Springfield too. I almost rear-ended a minivan that suddenly stopped to hand money to a beggar instead of proceeding through a green light.

According to the police, begging in the medians is legal as long as they don't go into the road.

Has Fairfax County ever tried to ban beggars? They truly are a traffic hazard if nothing else.

Posted by: Sampson. ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:46PM

Never give them money. Studies have proven that it does them a disservice in the long run and I'm a social worker. And yeah, why the hell Burke and how are they getting there? If they can walk and beg, they can do something else. If they can't walk and beg, they (currently) should be eligible for enough benefits to suit their needs. When we have beggars following trump's budget, I might then understand.

Posted by: Burke resident ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:49PM

18 years in Burke and never saw a one until about 3 years ago. Now, it's like there is a schedule for who gets what intersection. And they don't live in Burke so who the hell ships them in?

Posted by: Don't give them money!!! ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:54PM

I feel like the only ones who give them money are the people in Clifton so that they stay where they are and don't expand into their hoods.

I exit out of the opposite side of the beggars intersections. They tend to be long lights...more than 3 minutes. During which I count on average 3 people giving something and usually paper money....so $60 an hour they are making? No wonder they do it instead of working hard like the rest of us.

Posted by: I Miss My Country ()
Date: May 24, 2017 09:14PM

I have seen vans dropping them off and picking them up. There are a lot of places with help wanted signs in the windows around Fairfax and Burke;why don't the able bodied beggars apply for them? People really should stop giving money; it only encourages more of the same to come to the area. It's really sad how this area has changed.

Posted by: stop encouraging them ()
Date: May 24, 2017 09:53PM

memo to stupid white people. Stop giving these bums money! They will not look for a job as long as you fools hand out cash to them all day.

Posted by: shee-it ()
Date: May 25, 2017 12:09AM

Man, I thought everyone that lives in Burke begs... Burke's not all that, right?

Posted by: JDJVH ()
Date: May 25, 2017 10:34PM

Burke resident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 18 years in Burke and never saw a one until about
> 3 years ago. Now, it's like there is a schedule
> for who gets what intersection. And they don't
> live in Burke so who the hell ships them in?

Agree. It's been getting progressively worse. A new one popped up at the intersection by Wendy's the other day...his sign says he's 75, the IRS "stole" his money, and he has a broken back. His hair was died jet black and he wandered up and down the median looking for a handout. I didn't see anyone give him anything.

I actually saw a tent up the other day on that grassy area between the BCP and the Wendy's parking lot. Guess some of them are camping there now...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.