HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I'm going camping and I'm looking for some quick, inexpensive ideas for something to serve for lunch.
Posted by: Camp chef ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:36AM

I might only have 8 or up to 12 adults to feed. The obvious is cold cut sandwiches, but I want to try something different that I don't have to cook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm going camping and I'm looking for some quick, inexpensive ideas for something to serve for lunch.
Posted by: Right Here ON FXU Pal ()
Date: May 23, 2017 12:14PM

FXU has always the Best Advice..!

I'll take the Italian cold cut..Crisp Bread..Capicola Ham , Genoa Salami, Mortadella,Provalone,Lettuce tomato,Oil and Vinegar Italian seasoning..Ya.!

You CAN take this..LOL .... V Eat It Cold..! DAJAX..Natch!
Attachments:
OnTheCheap.jpg

Re: I'm going camping and I'm looking for some quick, inexpensive ideas for something to serve for lunch.
Posted by: Bear.Ghrills ()
Date: May 23, 2017 12:40PM

Do what I do...get an Iridium phone and order food for delivery. A drone may also be of use.

Posted by: Camping and no cooking... ()
Date: May 23, 2017 01:40PM

If you don't want to cook... I have no clue. The fun of camping is the cooking over an open fire. So I have no idea. 70% of the fun I camping is cooking over a fire, hotdogs, hamburgers, beans, smores... Why camp if you aren't gonna use the fire?

Posted by: Hiking and packing our lunch ()
Date: May 23, 2017 01:54PM

I'll be cooking the other meals. I agree, it wouldn't be camping without food cook on, around and in the fire!

Posted by: So side dishes ()
Date: May 23, 2017 02:02PM

A good summer salad with corn (over fire or prepared at home prior), wash all in advance so just have to toss with a lemon/line Vinaigrette. Cucumber, tomato, onion salad (basalmic dressing, basalmic vinegar, small amount of honey salt and pepper), for non meat lovers, slightly toasted bread (over fire) tomato,sharp cheese, mayo, s&p.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: May 23, 2017 04:02PM

So, the man's handle is "Camp Chef" but he doesn't want to cook. Bruh...I wouldn't take one step into the woods with you. I certainly hope you're not also the organizer/host, too. I can't imagine the fun and hikes you'd put together...

Date: May 24, 2017 08:00AM

I responded under the handle: "Hiking and packing our lunch" above

If you read the title of this post you will see that I am looking for
some quick, inexpensive ideas for something to serve for LUNCH. I have the other meals covered, but we will be HIKING AND PACKING OUR LUNCH!

I'll be cooking the other meals. I agree, it wouldn't be camping without food cooked on, around and in the fire!

It is interesting how internet brings out the best in the knee-jerk reaction crowd.

Posted by: ghetto gourmet ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:49AM

I have cooked a marie calendars tv dinner over a fire- of course i took the frozen sections out of the plastic and put them on a metal pan to heat up- but hey it worked! It was one of those one-dish meals, linguini and shrimp/clams i believe. I also had the stouffers mac and cheese for the kids.

Hey it worked!!!! by the end of the 6 hour hike it was defrosted enough, just kinda stir fried it over the fire, a little garlic pepper and some caprisuns i was good to go! Carbs and protein LOL.

One of those "i just wanted to see if it would work" things. The kids loved it!

I also had freeze dried food, powerbars, etc with me just in case- but for a one-day trip it worked out fine.

Posted by: camper22 ()
Date: May 24, 2017 09:41AM

Camp chef Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I responded under the handle: "Hiking and packing
> our lunch" above
>
> If you read the title of this post you will see
> that I am looking for
> some quick, inexpensive ideas for something to
> serve for LUNCH. I have the other meals covered,
> but we will be HIKING AND PACKING OUR LUNCH!
>
> I'll be cooking the other meals. I agree, it
> wouldn't be camping without food cooked on, around
> and in the fire!
>
> It is interesting how internet brings out the best
> in the knee-jerk reaction crowd.

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I have taken chicken or crab salad with tortilla wraps and a ziploc bag full of fresh veggies. The trick is to freeze the chicken or crab salad before the trip, it will take about 20 hours or so to thaw out in your pack and freezing it will not effect the quality. It makes for a nice fresh meal with little prep. I bring lettuce, shredded carrorts and bannana peppers and a can of sliced olives along with a small plastic bottle of mustard or salad dressing and some salt n pepper.
Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip

Posted by: Eagle Scotus ()
Date: May 24, 2017 10:05AM

You have to cook meat over a fire.

Bacon cheeseburgers and dessert of S'Mores

You're welcome.

Posted by: I cooked my neighbor's cat ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:19PM

in my fire pit. Since we cook in it all of the time, food particles seem to get left behind in the pit. I have it half covered with a piece of sheet steel, which helps to guide the smoke out of the chimney. Anyways I loaded it with wood, doused it with white gas, and lit it up. the next thing I hear is a bunch of screams from a cat. It was tucked under the sheet steel and must have gotten some of the white gas on it and went up in flames. It didn't take long, but the cat didn't survive! I felt awful after it happened, but I really didn't know that the cat was in the pit!

Posted by: camper ()
Date: May 24, 2017 01:26PM

Wooden sticks (you can buy them), hand to camper, stick a hotdog on it, let person hold it in the fire themselves. Hand them a bun. They will love it. No prep, No dishes. Just bring a cooler with bulk hotdogs in it and some buns.

For dessert: more sticks, this time, marshmallows.

Apparently OP has never been camping..

Posted by: Paella.. Cold Paella Pal ()
Date: May 24, 2017 02:07PM

Make it with Takeout Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice..LOL..Just Like FXU.Folk Told Me To do..they know how to cook here..!

Cold steamed spiced shrimp, poached or smoked salmon or other fish,or chicken breast, cut up veggies, macaroni salad .. for carbs..and a baguette and goat or other cheese..some cold fruit .trail mix...Ice Cold Hobo Junction Beer..Bottled water.. All packed into back packs with the frozen Blue Plastic Ice "Thingys" LOL..Now Your Talking..Bout a Good Hike Pic A Nic ..

AND..Pack all the trash out..including the HOBO Junction Beer Cans..

DAJAX

Posted by: Dont Forget The Brown Paper Bags ()
Date: May 24, 2017 02:09PM

To Hide The Hobo Junction Beer..LOL

DAJAX

Posted by: ghetto gourmet ()
Date: May 24, 2017 03:39PM

I wonder if hobo junction beer will keep it "crispness" if i poured it into a camelbak- one of these suckers here-

...or should I just put "jungle juice" in it - "trashcan punch"- they don't make Bacardi 151 anymore either :(

Hit the deli too, they have cold cuts and all types of cold salad- love a good crab salad or macaroni salad too!

That linguini was the bomb- but probably easier to do pasta salad next time LOL.

Posted by: easy peasy ()
Date: May 24, 2017 03:55PM

Burritos.

Tortillas, precooked rice, canned beans, canned Mexican corn, guacamole singles, cheese, tomato, peppers. anything else you like in a burrito.

Wrap em in foil and you're good to go.

mission-tortilla-e1425661772807.jpg;
spanish-style.png?sfvrsn=0;
51iwF-sfCaL.jpg;
Cans.JPG;
f6de352d-2a55-4773-8f2b-c2bf280a0427_1.9

Posted by: Smegma ()
Date: May 24, 2017 04:29PM

How about u eat my dirty cock for lunch! Who the fuck cares what u eat. Take that shit to off topic.

Posted by: car engine cooking ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:04PM

Dont Forget The Brown Paper Bags Wrote:
> To Hide The Hobo Junction Beer..LOL
>
> DAJAX

did you ever make a hobo steak?

Posted by: Hobo Packets ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:21PM

Like These ? http://thesimpleparent.com/grilled-hobo-dinners-recipe/ Ya Many Times..Great With Hobo Junction Beer..!

Or True West Va Round Steak..Hobo Steak..a thick slice of Bologna Heated on the exhaust manifold of the rusted beat pick up..?? Only when in Dire need..!

DAJAX
Attachments:
GrilledHoboDinnersRecipe-768x548.jpg

Posted by: WSH LAX FTRA ()
Date: May 24, 2017 05:52PM

Hobo Packets Wrote:
> Like These ?
> http://thesimpleparent.com/grilled-hobo-dinners-re
> cipe/ Ya Many Times..Great With Hobo Junction
> Beer..!
>
> Or True West Va Round Steak..Hobo Steak..a thick
> slice of Bologna Heated on the exhaust manifold of
> the rusted beat pick up..?? Only when in Dire
> need..!
>
> DAJAX

Yeah broners that's what Duncan Rail, Mouth, Switchbox and I ate all the time when we were catching grainers and lots of each others loads!

Posted by: Pbandj ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:16PM

PB & J

Posted by: huh.? ()
Date: May 24, 2017 07:45PM

Hobo Packets Wrote:
> Like These ?
> http://thesimpleparent.com/grilled-hobo-dinners-re
> cipe/ Ya Many Times..Great With Hobo Junction
> Beer..!
>
> Or True West Va Round Steak..Hobo Steak..a thick
> slice of Bologna Heated on the exhaust manifold of
> the rusted beat pick up..?? Only when in Dire
> need..!
>
> DAJAX

tinfoil stew?

Posted by: ER man ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:17PM

Camp chef Wrote:
> I might only have 8 or up to 12 adults to feed.
> The obvious is cold cut sandwiches, but I want to
> try something different that I don't have to cook.

ER bars rock!
Attachments:
erC_UL320_SR266,320_.jpg

Date: May 25, 2017 08:00AM

camper Wrote:
> Wooden sticks (you can buy them), hand to camper,
> stick a hotdog on it, let person hold it in the
> fire themselves. Hand them a bun. They will love
> it. No prep, No dishes. Just bring a cooler with
> bulk hotdogs in it and some buns.
>
> For dessert: more sticks, this time,
> marshmallows.
>
> Apparently OP has never been camping..

I've probably been camping more years than you've been alive.

I'll sum it up for you, since you didn't bother to read;
ADULTS 8-10 OF THEM
EASY FOOD TO BRING ON A HIKE
NOT STARTING A FIRE ON A HIKE
INEXPENSIVE AND EASY

When we are at camp I will be making 5-star meals. I was just looking for ideas for LUNCH on the TRAIL while hiking. Something besides SANDWICHES!

Posted by: johndoll ()
Date: May 12, 2020 10:31AM

When I was going camping for the first time in my life I've read many articles that are linked to camping. Really, it's necessary to read because camping is not so easy as it seems to be. A very interesting once was https://www.brightcamping.com where I've read which equipment should I take with me and what type of food. Also, there was written all subtleties about every popular camping location. Important for you to know, that it is really dangerous to take cheap food with you, because you can have an intoxication and in the forest/mountains there is no help.

Posted by: Tin Foil Stew Hobo Dinners ()
Date: May 12, 2020 03:28PM

Don't laugh Tin foil dinners Like Dajax posted are great in camp , there great at home on the backyard grill for easy and cheap meals , no clean up of pots and pans , wrap them up season and cook that's it with chicken pork beef seafood hot dogs sausages and veggies and potatoes and some water to help steam it a bit
Attachments:
baked-salmon-in-foil-recipe-600x400.jpg
saugecornhobopack.jpg
Cajun-Shrimp-Boil-in-Oven.jpg

Posted by: Blackburn trail ()
Date: May 12, 2020 03:41PM

Tin Foil Stew Hobo Dinners Wrote:
> Don't laugh Tin foil dinners Like Dajax posted are
> great in camp , there great at home on the
> backyard grill for easy and cheap meals , no clean
> up of pots and pans , wrap them up season and cook
> that's it with chicken pork beef seafood hot dogs
> sausages and veggies and potatoes and some water
> to help steam it a bit

Did you read the thread? He asked about something to take for lunch while out on a hike away from their base camp. He is not looking to build and fire and doesn't want to carry a bunch of extra shit. I say for 8-12 people for a day hike everyone should just fend for themselves. Some people are going to want to eat more than others, some may not want to eat a meal at all. When I hiked I just liked to take jerky, chocolate, nuts and something to drink. Just enough to give me some energy and not feel hungry. I eat at the end of the day. I also don't like to have a big breakfast because I don't want to have to stop and take a shit while hiking with a group. Eat at night, shit in the morning, hike during the day. And yes, I know this thread is years old and OBE.

Posted by: OP Grew Up ()
Date: May 12, 2020 04:16PM

>I'm going camping and I'm looking for some quick, inexpensive ideas for >something to serve for lunch.
>Posted by: Camp chef ()
>Date: May 23, 2017 11:36AM

OP is now 18 and wants to cook , note his handle "Camp chef" , never the less the thread is a good one , carry on with a stop over on the AT at Arthur Treacher's for crisp fried fish and chips and a ice cold Fanta to cool the bong before hitting the trail again .

Speaking of happy trails sincerely yours !

"Cuck Cod" your pal . See you out there pals. Im the one with the camo flak vest and heavy backpack filled with ammo and chilled Hobo Beer , so don't riddle me ..I don't play mind games ....why would I pack two .45's a snub nose .38 and flash frozen Arthur Teachers battered fried fish , if I did

Posted by: Dr. Lecter ()
Date: May 12, 2020 04:20PM

8 to 12 guests? How do you feel about returning with 6 to 10 guests? Problem solved.

Posted by: Camping joe ()
Date: May 12, 2020 05:06PM

Get a can of Spam and a couple of plastic forks and dinner is served. We used to eat that stuff as kids when we went camping. We called it mutilated monkey meat. Slap a slice between two pieces of wonder bread if you want a complete dinner. Bring lots of water, its really salty but its cheap!

Posted by: tvjxh ()
Date: May 12, 2020 06:06PM

Camping joe Wrote:
> Get a can of Spam and a couple of plastic forks
> and dinner is served. We used to eat that stuff
> as kids when we went camping. We called it
> mutilated monkey meat. Slap a slice between two
> pieces of wonder bread if you want a complete
> dinner. Bring lots of water, its really salty but
> its cheap!

I used to go camping with a couple of sticks of pepperoni, a block of cheese and a bottle of Tabasco. Didn't get hungry and the cheese kept you "stopped up" so you didn't shit for time you were camping. Anything else was too heavy and not worth lugging along. Definetly do not take anything that requires water to prepare or to clean with.

Posted by: Dinner served ROTC Style ()
Date: May 12, 2020 06:16PM

Camp chef Wrote:
> I might only have 8 or up to 12 adults to feed.
> The obvious is cold cut sandwiches, but I want to
> try something different that I don't have to cook.

Serve ala ROTC
Attachments:
images (10).jpg

Posted by: Mongo like beans ()
Date: May 12, 2020 11:45PM

Dinner served ROTC Style Wrote:
> Camp chef Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I might only have 8 or up to 12 adults to feed.
> > The obvious is cold cut sandwiches, but I want
> to
> > try something different that I don't have to
> cook.
>
> Serve ala ROTC

Don't forget your P38 and a bunch of plastic spoons.

Posted by: Candy Bar Kid ()
Date: May 13, 2020 12:04AM

Two Snickers candy bars and some water and I can hike about 1/8 mile up a slight grade because I weigh 377 pounds and am 5-3 . Then I need two more to get back . If I did not bring more, I roll back ...hopefully your not in my way

Posted by: Yum!!! ()
Date: May 13, 2020 12:57AM

Attachments:
1587352386178.jpg

Posted by: kalvinbrown ()
Date: August 25, 2020 04:00AM

I haven't been camping for a long time but I really miss doing it because it brings me great pleasure. Especially when we go out with friends and spend time together, we tell stories and laugh together to the fullest.
Especially since we are always busy with the service, we don't have much time to get together but at the campsite it's perfect. The last time I went we gave the order from amazon.com a Vont Hurricane Emergency Collapsible Batteries and it was very useful. It was a friend's idea and I'm really glad he came up with such a proposal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 11:22AM by kalvinbrown.

Posted by: GlicerinEBAG ()
Date: August 27, 2020 01:44PM

kalvinbrown Wrote:
> I haven't been camping for a long time but I
> really miss doing it because it brings me great
> pleasure. Especially when we go out with friends
> and spend time together, we tell stories and laugh
> together to the fullest.
> Especially since we are always busy with the
> service, we don't have much time to get together
> but at the campsite it's perfect. The last time I
> went we gave the order from
> cy-Collapsible-Batteries/dp/B00NPLSZF8/>amazon.com
>
a Vont Hurricane Emergency Collapsible
> Batteries and it was very useful. It was a
> friend's idea and I'm really glad he came up with
> such a proposal.

I also miss this days of camping with my friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 11:23AM by GlicerinEBAG.

Posted by: Hot southwest stewardess ()
Date: August 27, 2020 08:46PM

I'm astounded no t one of you worthless greenhorns mentioned GORP already. That goes for you too DAJAX I'm especially disappointed in you! No hobo junction beer for you tonight! Good ol raisins and peanuts cub sprouts. I like the Berkeley and Jensen variant with papaya chunks on my daytrips to Berkeley springs where I pick up a few Jerry cans of George Washington's bath water to brew the finest back holler brew this side of the blue ridge

Posted by: Greg Bjorggg ()
Date: September 12, 2020 05:47AM

I want to ask you where do you live? I would like to buy the best 12 person tent and if you have something like this, I wanna know how do you appreciate it? I think this is a very worthy purchase for a person who likes camping. I am this type of person and I am eager to buy it

Posted by: 12 Men in a Tent? ()
Date: September 12, 2020 09:17AM

Greg Bjorggg Wrote:
> I want to ask you where do you live? I would like
> to buy the href="https://99camping.com/best-12-person-tent/">
> best 12 person tent
and if you have something
> like this, I wanna know how do you appreciate it?
> I think this is a very worthy purchase for a
> person who likes camping. I am this type of person
> and I am eager to buy it
Attachments:
images (23).jpg

Posted by: Bill Shiphr ()
Date: September 23, 2020 04:56AM

Oh, I'm so tired of staying at home. It was almost half of the year. I would love to go out somewhere myself. Maybe even at some extremely cold places. Maybe in some snow-capped mountains. It would shake my thighs a little after such a long break. And the best extreme cold weather tents would be a must-have in that matter.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.