HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best High Schools in Northern Virginia?
Posted by: BrendaS ()
Date: July 14, 2014 06:47PM

Hi I just moved here with my 13 year old daughter. Currently we live in Annandale and the high school for this area is Annandale HS. I realize that Annandale is not one of the best high schools in this area. I am planning to relocate once my daughter graduates middle school. So I'm wondering which public high schools are known for good teachers and a good learning environment?

Any input would be appreciated,
thank you,
Brenda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best High Schools in Northern Virginia?
Posted by: GZD ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:06PM

I heard Thomas Jeffersons a good school. My friend's daughter goes there. I think its at Alexandria.

Posted by: Search Function is Your Friend ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:31PM

Search the FFXU archives. Also citi-data. Personally, we were quite happy with Robinson.

Posted by: Burke VRE ()
Date: July 14, 2014 08:10PM

Woodson is good if your child has psychological issues. Or so I've heard.

Posted by: Oak-ton ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:13PM

Oakton is old, overcrowded, and dilapidated. It's uninspiring but the students are generally a cut above.

Posted by: been there.........done that ()
Date: July 15, 2014 12:39AM

TJ is clearly the best. If your daughter cannot get in there, the only other viable option in the area is George Mason HS in Falls Church. The problem with that is the housing prices and taxes in Falls Church.

No HS in Fairfax County will be worth a damn when your daughter graduates in five years. Weigh private school options against the housing prices and taxes in Falls Church. Chances are you come ahead in the long run with the private school option.

I made a similar decision not too long ago.

Good luck.

Date: July 15, 2014 10:15AM

Who told you Annandale HS is a bad school?
Annandale is one of the best schools in the area as far as academics. It is an IB league recognized school. Sure there is a current overcrowding issue, for which they have created trailers outside the school. However, the one and only problem this school faces is that exactly, overcrowding.
Are you asking for "nice looking schools" because if you have done your research, then you would not doubt what this school can offer, as far as academics is concerned.
Check their SOL passing rate, its amongst the highest in the state.

Date: July 15, 2014 10:19AM

Also, Thomas Jefferson is the one other school aside from Annandale I would recommend. However, you don't just get to choose to go to Thomas Jefferson, you must take a placement exam. Depending on the score of the exam, they will evaluate your child and decide whether they would like her to attend TJ.

Posted by: WPHS ()
Date: July 15, 2014 11:02AM

Can't lose at West Potomac.

Date: July 15, 2014 07:51PM

Thomas Jefferson seems like a good governor school for my daughter to attend. I'll have her do some extracurricular activities and see if she makes it.

@notdoingthisatwork, sorry if I offended anyone attending/used to attend Annandale. I searched Annandale up on the high school ranking list and it was ranked silver. I know that is still a great ranking, but there are higher ranked schools in this area. Of course, I don't want to judge by some number. Thank you for your input on Annandale, if my daughter does not make TJ, she give Annandale a try.

Posted by: Wphs2 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 05:46AM

West Potomac with the new administration, positive plans put into place, admin reaching out to parents will be one great school in the next year. School pride is making a comeback there.

Posted by: *none ()
Date: July 16, 2014 03:25PM

Lee HS now that Jeffers is gone

Posted by: TRUTHSPEAKS ()
Date: July 16, 2014 04:48PM

greatschools.org

Enough said.

Posted by: OGJays ()
Date: July 16, 2014 05:42PM

Westfield is by far the best high school in the nation. My math teacher told us it is ranked number 1 in the nation, higher than TJ and Annandale. Definitely check it out. We are better than tj because you don't have to take a stupid boring test to get in. we are also a lot more social and cool than those tj nerds. dont go to TJ, if you do, your daughter will end up with no friends or relationships because tj is full of losers.

Posted by: Student ()
Date: July 16, 2014 11:20PM

I am a current student in FCPS and I've attended two high schools, Woodson and Annandale. I'm currently attending Annandale and I can tell you that I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I transferred to Annandale from Woodson (I know, gasp!) and I haven't been happier. The academics at Annandale are great and most of my teachers have been amazing.

Posted by: school choice ()
Date: July 16, 2014 11:54PM

Annandale is great... if you're an illegal alien and you have no intention of learning English. Otherwise, move into Langley, McLean, Robinson, Woodson, Lake Braddock, West Springfield, or Oakton zones. Everything else is ghetto.

Posted by: jo ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:23AM

TJ>Langley>Woodson. All else dont have a continual record of being nationally ranked.

Posted by: 1234 ()
Date: July 18, 2014 01:04AM

Honestly move out of FFX all the schools are overcrowded and mediocre. I had two kids one grew up in Fairfax and one currently in Loudoun. Moving to loudoun was the best decision I've made. The schools are perfect size, teachers are great. The best school here is by far Stone Bridge amazing academics, sports, clubs its an amazing school.

Posted by: Oookie LCPS is not THAT good ()
Date: July 18, 2014 09:51AM

1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly move out of FFX all the schools are
> overcrowded and mediocre. I had two kids one grew
> up in Fairfax and one currently in Loudoun. Moving
> to loudoun was the best decision I've made. The
> schools are perfect size, teachers are great. The
> best school here is by far Stone Bridge amazing
> academics, sports, clubs its an amazing school.

To be honest with you, I think Loudoun schools are severely lacking at the elementary and middle school level. They have not implemented any programs for students at risk; they only care about the wealthy kids who are smart and will do well given any circumstances.

I also went to Dominion HS, which was a great school that did care about all of the students; however I don't think that is the norm for Loudoun. Dominion HS was only great because of the principal, who was much more invested in that school than his own life. He hired staff who were also just as dedicated. That is just my opinion. Be careful with Loudoun.

Also in case you hear the argument that class sizes are smaller in Loudoun... not true, I had several classes that were about 30 students. Loudoun just has a lot pretentious rich kids, it can be a rough environment for some people.

Posted by: Asshole Report #14-0071 ()
Date: July 18, 2014 10:40AM

Fuck you goobers. Pay more taxes. Assholes.

Posted by: johnny ringo ()
Date: July 18, 2014 10:41AM

Sharon? Is that you?

Posted by: youknowitstrue ()
Date: July 18, 2014 10:42AM

Debating which public school is the best is like debating which piece of crap smells the best. In the end, you are still picking a piece of crap.

Posted by: one more ()
Date: July 18, 2014 10:43AM

jo Wrote:
> TJ>Langley>Woodson. All else dont have a continual
> record of being nationally ranked.

Mason in Falls Church is better than the last two on your list.

Posted by: Definitive Answer ()
Date: July 18, 2014 11:12AM

Pecking Order in FCPS:

Tier 1: TJHSST. In a class by itself academically, but a magnet for resentment as well due to the fact that it's increasingly difficult to get into if you are not an Asian student who attended one of a small number of middle schools (Carson, Longfellow, Rocky Run, Kilmer, Frost, Jackson and Lake Braddock) with big programs for gifted students. A bonanza to test prep centers across NoVa.

Tier 2: Langley, McLean, Madison, Woodson, Oakton. Considered the top neighborhood schools in FCPS. People will pay extra to live in these districts, and real estate brokers will mention homes in these districts by name in their listings. But, also most likely to be called "pressure cookers," experience student suicides, and generate business for local psychiatrists.

Tier 3: Marshall. A Tier-2 aspirant, but not quite there yet. Bucking the demographic trend in FCPS by gaining white students every year. Ryan McElveen's alma mater and pet school. Just lost the long-time principal who helped raise the school's profile.

Tier 4: West Springfield, Lake Braddock, Robinson, Chantilly, Westfield. Very good schools that are popular with military families, tech workers and those who like to call themselves "down-to-earth," but also don't want to send their kids to schools with too many ESOL/FARMS kids. Among the largest schools in terms of total enrollment.

Tier 5: Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax, South County, Centreville. Similar to Tier 4, but touted less frequently on message boards and with somewhat higher percentages of low-income students.

Tier 6: West Potomac. Pulls from both very wealthy neighborhoods in Alexandria east of Route 1 and poorer areas like Hybla Valley. Created years ago by merging Fort Hunt and Groveton, which would be like deciding to merge Madison and Falls Church today. Similar in some respects to TC Williams in the City of Alexandria, but with a larger number of middle and upper-middle income students.

Tier 6: Annandale, Falls Church, Stuart, Lee, Edison, Hayfield, Mount Vernon. Majority-minority, low-income schools that have the lowest test scores. Includes several schools with IB programs that probably aren't worth the expense. Tend to be the schools that are openly mocked on message boards by those who wake up every morning wishing they were in Texas armed and personally patrolling the border. Even so, still probably better than most public schools in the country.

Loudoun schools have less variation and less drama. They are generally similar to the Tier 4 and 5 schools in FCPS, but smaller and, in a good year, better at football. Because most of the housing in Loudoun is newer, the county doesn't have as many aging, low-income apartment complexes as Fairfax. Only Park View in Sterling is similar to a Tier 6 school in FCPS.

In Arlington, Yorktown is equivalent to a Tier 2 school in Fairfax and Wakefield is equivalent to a Tier 6 school. W-L doesn't have a clear analog, as the demographics and test scores are similar to a Tier 5 school but the touting by people who've bought homes in Arlington that feed into W-L is similar to what you find at a Tier 2-4 school in Fairfax.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 18, 2014 12:41PM

I would move Robinson into the same tier as Marshall. In the same way that Marshall is McLean's slightly less desirable sister school, so also Robinson is Woodson's.

I would also put Annandale, Falls Church, Stuart, Lee, Edison and Hayfield in tier 6 with West Pot rather than in the tier with Mount Vernon. West Pot has the same issues as these other schools, only to a slightly lesser degree. For example I believe all have SAT scores in the 1500s. Mount Vernon has slipped even below this level and should be in a tier by itself.

There is also an argument that Langley should perhaps be Tier 1-A, not quite at the TJ level but better than the rest. However McLean and Woodson would probably argue they should be tier 1-B then and then things would get absurd.

Posted by: Not-So-Definitive Answer ()
Date: July 18, 2014 02:04PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> I would move Robinson into the same tier as
> Marshall. In the same way that Marshall is
> McLean's slightly less desirable sister school, so
> also Robinson is Woodson's.
>
> I would also put Annandale, Falls Church, Stuart,
> Lee, Edison and Hayfield in tier 6 with West Pot
> rather than in the tier with Mount Vernon. West
> Pot has the same issues as these other schools,
> only to a slightly lesser degree. For example I
> believe all have SAT scores in the 1500s. Mount
> Vernon has slipped even below this level and
> should be in a tier by itself.
>
> There is also an argument that Langley should
> perhaps be Tier 1-A, not quite at the TJ level but
> better than the rest. However McLean and Woodson
> would probably argue they should be tier 1-B then
> and then things would get absurd.

Hmm.

I think Robinson has more in common with the Tier 4 schools, and particularly West Springfield and Lake Braddock, than with Marshall.

If Marshall has a "sister school," it's Madison, not McLean, particularly since the students who pump up the test scores at both Madison and Marshall mostly live in Vienna. McLean's "sister school" is Langley. as reflected in the refrain "two schools, one town" that periodically surfaces when they decide to support rather than insult one another.

I distinguish West Potomac from the other Tier 6 (really should be Tier 7, but I never said I could count) schools because of the concentration of wealth that feeds into West Potomac that you are not going to find at the other schools. You can start out at one of the wealthiest, whitest elementary schools in the entire county (Waynewood) and end up at West Potomac, enrolled in all AP classes and on the crew team. You can't say that at the other Tier 6/7 schools. On the other hand, the diversity at West Potomac goes well beyond what you'd find at Tier 1-5 schools.

I would leave the Tier 6/7 schools as is. I can't bring myself to put Mount Vernon in a bottom tier by itself. FYI - several of the Tier 6/7 schools in addition to Mount Vernon now have SAT scores below 1500 (Annandale, Falls Church, Lee).

I take your point about Langley perhaps being in its own tier. It's certainly closer to the other Tier 2 schools than TJ, but its higher test scores and social exclusivity set it apart.

Posted by: Definitive Answer, Take Two ()
Date: July 18, 2014 02:15PM

Revised Pecking Order in FCPS:

Tier 1: TJHSST. In a class by itself academically, but a magnet for resentment as well due to the fact that it's increasingly difficult to get into if you are not an Asian student who attended one of a small number of middle schools (Carson, Longfellow, Rocky Run, Kilmer, Frost, Jackson and Lake Braddock) with big programs for gifted students. A bonanza to test prep centers across NoVa.

Tier 2: Langley. The wealthiest and highest-achieving of the neighborhoods schools in FCPS, with far lower percentages of low-income students than any other school. Its Achilles heel, to the extent it has one, is its reputation for social exclusivity and academic competition. Ex-Langley parents whose children have not had a good experience there tend to be very vituperative and highly outspoken; Langley-bashing by those who get freaked out by its Aryan repuation (notwithstanding the large number of Asian and Middle-Eastern students) is also common.

Tier 3: McLean, Madison, Woodson, Oakton. Considered the top neighborhood schools in FCPS after Langley. People will also pay extra to live in these districts, and real estate brokers will mention homes in these districts by name in their listings. But, along with Langley, also most likely to be called "pressure cookers," experience demoralizing student suicides, and generate business for local psychiatrists.

Tier 4: Marshall. A Tier-3 aspirant, but not quite there yet. Bucking the demographic trend in FCPS by gaining white students every year. Ryan McElveen's alma mater and pet school. Just lost the long-time principal who helped raise the school's profile.

Tier 5: West Springfield, Lake Braddock, Robinson, Chantilly, Westfield. Very good schools that are popular with military families, tech workers and those who like to call themselves "down-to-earth," but also don't want to send their kids to schools with too many ESOL/FARMS kids. Among the largest schools in terms of total enrollment.

Tier 6: Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax, South County, Centreville. Similar to Tier 5, but touted less frequently on message boards and with somewhat higher percentages of low-income students.

Tier 7: West Potomac. Pulls from both very wealthy neighborhoods in Alexandria east of Route 1 and poorer areas like Hybla Valley. Created years ago by merging Fort Hunt and Groveton, which would be like deciding to merge Madison and Falls Church today. Similar in some respects to TC Williams in the City of Alexandria, but with a larger number of middle and upper-middle income students.

Tier 8: Annandale, Falls Church, Stuart, Lee, Edison, Hayfield, Mount Vernon. Majority-minority, low-income schools that have the lowest test scores. Includes several schools with IB programs that probably aren't worth the expense. Tend to be the schools that are openly mocked on message boards by those who wake up every morning wishing they were in Texas armed and personally patrolling the border. Even so, still probably better than most public schools in the country.

Loudoun schools have less variation and less drama. They are generally similar to the Tier 5 and 6 schools in FCPS, but smaller and, in a good year, better at football. Because most of the housing in Loudoun is newer, the county doesn't have as many aging, low-income apartment complexes as Fairfax. Only Park View in Sterling is similar to a Tier 8 school in FCPS.

In Arlington, Yorktown is equivalent to a Tier 3 school in Fairfax and Wakefield is equivalent to a Tier 8 school. W-L doesn't have a clear analog, as the demographics and test scores are similar to a Tier 6 school but the touting by people who've bought homes in Arlington that feed into W-L is similar to what you find at a Tier 2-5 school in Fairfax.

Posted by: dfdsfasdf ()
Date: July 18, 2014 02:22PM

^ I would put Annandale in the Tier 7 category. Other than that, looks pretty accurate.

Posted by: forgot one. ()
Date: July 18, 2014 02:42PM

What about South County?

Posted by: Eyes Glazing Over ()
Date: July 18, 2014 03:06PM

forgot one. Wrote:
> What about South County?

Look at Tier 6 above.

Date: July 18, 2014 10:26PM

This is very helpful thank you! I'm thinking about Langley or Mclean, I've been looking at houses in Great Falls. They sure aren't cheap but the schoolis worth it I'm sure.

Posted by: Used 2 live out there, now in FC ()
Date: July 18, 2014 10:29PM

BrendaS Wrote:
> This is very helpful thank you! I'm thinking about
> Langley or Mclean, I've been looking at houses in
> Great Falls. They sure aren't cheap but the
> schoolis worth it I'm sure.

You can get some deals out there still. It's a great area just a little far out for my needs.

Posted by: Be Careful Out There ()
Date: July 19, 2014 01:23AM

For the sake of your kids, please do not get caught up in the school one upmanship in this area. Everyone who has been here for any length of time knows the schools to avoid. Except for TJ, the rest are distinguished more by the snobbery of the parents than the quality of the school. I've seen too many kids ground down by the expectations of their parents.

One important caution - if your child has special needs that require classroom accommodations or an IEP, you have to be very careful which school they go to. Some schools are really supportive - others are downright awful. You really have to do your homework here. Special ed parents learn to cut through the bullshit quickly. Learn from them.

Posted by: Hoo Boo ()
Date: July 19, 2014 11:25AM

Be Careful Out There Wrote:
> For the sake of your kids, please do not get
> caught up in the school one upmanship in this
> area. Everyone who has been here for any length of
> time knows the schools to avoid. Except for TJ,
> the rest are distinguished more by the snobbery of
> the parents than the quality of the school. I've
> seen too many kids ground down by the expectations
> of their parents.
>
> One important caution - if your child has special
> needs that require classroom accommodations or an
> IEP, you have to be very careful which school they
> go to. Some schools are really supportive - others
> are downright awful. You really have to do your
> homework here. Special ed parents learn to cut
> through the bullshit quickly. Learn from them.

Sounds like you want to decide which schools should be avoided, but would get your panties in a bunch if someone else thought another school was better than yours.

Posted by: swaglord69 ()
Date: July 19, 2014 09:44PM

If you want your girl to party and have a good time come to woodson aka Weedson. We'll get that bitch fcking high as fuck. Imma tittie bang her and fucking fuck her up

#420blaze it imma fuck yo bitch up

Posted by: rankings niqqa ()
Date: July 19, 2014 09:51PM

FCPS best high schools, based on college matriculation stats using my personal algorithm software. no two schools are the same but the difference is negligible

TJ
Langley
Mclean
Madison/Oakton
Woodson
Robinson/Lake Braddock
Chantilly/Fairfax/Herndon
Westfield/West Springfield/West Potomac
Marshall
South Lakes
Centreville/Hayfield
Falls Church/Annandale
Edison
Lee
Mount Vernon
South County/JEB Stuart

Posted by: #OG ()
Date: July 19, 2014 09:57PM

OG school is motha fucking VA TECH. its da bomb from what i heard. maddd fried chicken and bitches who appreciate my 20 dicks. u ever road 20 hoes at once. fucking heaven

Posted by: MTV homeowner ()
Date: July 20, 2014 08:49AM

Can someone tell me with all the discussion on here about Mount Vernon being on the bottom is it is kids, teachers or is it the principal? How long has the principal been there if the scores are getting lower? When does the individual take ownership of their school?

I moved to this area 10 years ago when the school was ok but people pupil placed their kids at West Potomac now they closed that.

If it is the principal can't they get a principal that cares?

Posted by: libs hate children ()
Date: July 20, 2014 09:01AM

If you love your daughter you will home school her. If you're a lib you'll subject her to the hell known as public school. The place only ghetto trash goes to.

Posted by: ppepeppepeepepepep ()
Date: July 20, 2014 12:43PM

Why does Marshall have better test scores than Oakton, especially in math and science? Why are Marshall the test scores equal or higher than tier one?

Posted by: Cougars ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:59PM

ppepeppepeepepepep Wrote:
> Why does Marshall have better test scores than
> Oakton, especially in math and science? Why are
> Marshall the test scores equal or higher than tier
> one?

Marshall is not as good as Oakton.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia/districts/fairfax-county-public-schools

Posted by: ppepeppepeepepepep ()
Date: July 20, 2014 03:11PM

Cougars Wrote:
> ppepeppepeepepepep Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why does Marshall have better test scores than
> > Oakton, especially in math and science? Why are
>
> > Marshall the test scores equal or higher than
> tier
> > one?
>
> Marshall is not as good as Oakton.
>
> http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/
> virginia/districts/fairfax-county-public-schools

Here they are, look at the math scores

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/vienna/555-Oakton-High-School/?tab=test-scores

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/vienna/555-Oakton-High-School/?tab=test-scores

Posted by: woopsopsosppspspsss ()
Date: July 20, 2014 03:12PM

ppepeppepeepepepep Wrote:
> Cougars Wrote:
> -----
> > ppepeppepeepepepep Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Why does Marshall have better test scores
> than
> > > Oakton, especially in math and science? Why
> are
> >
> > > Marshall the test scores equal or higher than
> > tier
> > > one?
> >
> > Marshall is not as good as Oakton.
> >
> >
> http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/
>
> >
> virginia/districts/fairfax-county-public-schools
>
> Here they are, look at the math scores
>
> http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/vienna/555-Oa
> kton-High-School/?tab=test-scores
>
> http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/vienna/555-Oa
> kton-High-School/?tab=test-scores

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/falls-church/543-Marshall-High-School/?tab=test-scores

Posted by: BannaShakeNigga ()
Date: July 20, 2014 07:03PM

Come to my bannana shake stand, i sell banana shakes for 60 dollars a pound.

Posted by: Jay-Z ()
Date: July 20, 2014 08:38PM

rankings niqqa Wrote:
> FCPS best high schools, based on college
> matriculation stats using my personal algorithm
> software. no two schools are the same but the
> difference is negligible
>
> TJ
> Langley
> Mclean
> Madison/Oakton
> Woodson
> Robinson/Lake Braddock
> Chantilly/Fairfax/Herndon
> Westfield/West Springfield/West Potomac
> Marshall
> South Lakes
> Centreville/Hayfield
> Falls Church/Annandale
> Edison
> Lee
> Mount Vernon
> South County/JEB Stuart

Wow. Marshall is really that low? Guess it is seriously overrated.

Posted by: Stuart news ()
Date: July 20, 2014 10:17PM

What is going on with Stuart now with the team of people to straighten out the principal?

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: July 21, 2014 06:46AM

Posted by: spartanjoke ()
Date: July 21, 2014 11:33AM

Why would you lump West Springfield with Lake Braddock, Robinson, Westfield, etc? That is a slap in the face to those schools.WS has had 2 straight idiots as principal and the school is declining rapidly. I am sure they will dig deep in their old boy network and hire another winner on a par with the clown Greenfelder. So glad my kids are done with FCPS. Now I can just sit and watch it crumble under its arrogance and ineptness. Anywhere but WS- even Lee and West Potomac have overtaken West Springfield.

Posted by: PRT ()
Date: July 25, 2014 11:43AM

Definitive Answer, Take Two Wrote:
> Revised Pecking Order in FCPS:
>
> Tier 1: TJHSST. In a class by itself academically,
> but a magnet for resentment as well due to the
> fact that it's increasingly difficult to get into
> if you are not an Asian student who attended one
> of a small number of middle schools (Carson,
> Longfellow, Rocky Run, Kilmer, Frost, Jackson and
> Lake Braddock) with big programs for gifted
> students. A bonanza to test prep centers across
> NoVa.
>
> Tier 2: Langley. The wealthiest and
> highest-achieving of the neighborhoods schools in
> FCPS, with far lower percentages of low-income
> students than any other school. Its Achilles
> heel, to the extent it has one, is its reputation
> for social exclusivity and academic competition.
> Ex-Langley parents whose children have not had a
> good experience there tend to be very vituperative
> and highly outspoken; Langley-bashing by those who
> get freaked out by its Aryan repuation
> (notwithstanding the large number of Asian and
> Middle-Eastern students) is also common.
>
> Tier 3: McLean, Madison, Woodson, Oakton.
> Considered the top neighborhood schools in FCPS
> after Langley. People will also pay extra to live
> in these districts, and real estate brokers will
> mention homes in these districts by name in their
> listings. But, along with Langley, also most
> likely to be called "pressure cookers," experience
> demoralizing student suicides, and generate
> business for local psychiatrists.
>
> Tier 4: Marshall. A Tier-3 aspirant, but not quite
> there yet. Bucking the demographic trend in FCPS
> by gaining white students every year. Ryan
> McElveen's alma mater and pet school. Just lost
> the long-time principal who helped raise the
> school's profile.
>
> Tier 5: West Springfield, Lake Braddock, Robinson,
> Chantilly, Westfield. Very good schools that are
> popular with military families, tech workers and
> those who like to call themselves "down-to-earth,"
> but also don't want to send their kids to schools
> with too many ESOL/FARMS kids. Among the largest
> schools in terms of total enrollment.
>
> Tier 6: Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax, South
> County, Centreville. Similar to Tier 5, but touted
> less frequently on message boards and with
> somewhat higher percentages of low-income
> students.
>
> Tier 7: West Potomac. Pulls from both very wealthy
> neighborhoods in Alexandria east of Route 1 and
> poorer areas like Hybla Valley. Created years ago
> by merging Fort Hunt and Groveton, which would be
> like deciding to merge Madison and Falls Church
> today. Similar in some respects to TC Williams in
> the City of Alexandria, but with a larger number
> of middle and upper-middle income students.
>
> Tier 8: Annandale, Falls Church, Stuart, Lee,
> Edison, Hayfield, Mount Vernon. Majority-minority,
> low-income schools that have the lowest test
> scores. Includes several schools with IB programs
> that probably aren't worth the expense. Tend to be
> the schools that are openly mocked on message
> boards by those who wake up every morning wishing
> they were in Texas armed and personally patrolling
> the border. Even so, still probably better than
> most public schools in the country.
>
> Loudoun schools have less variation and less
> drama. They are generally similar to the Tier 5
> and 6 schools in FCPS, but smaller and, in a good
> year, better at football. Because most of the
> housing in Loudoun is newer, the county doesn't
> have as many aging, low-income apartment complexes
> as Fairfax. Only Park View in Sterling is similar
> to a Tier 8 school in FCPS.
>
> In Arlington, Yorktown is equivalent to a Tier 3
> school in Fairfax and Wakefield is equivalent to a
> Tier 8 school. W-L doesn't have a clear analog, as
> the demographics and test scores are similar to a
> Tier 6 school but the touting by people who've
> bought homes in Arlington that feed into W-L is
> similar to what you find at a Tier 2-5 school in
> Fairfax.

Very interesting commment here. I have one quibble -- I would not lump Fairfax with South Lakes or Herdon. FHS has one of the academies in the FFX County School system, and doesn't have the same concentration of minorities that Herndon or South Lakes have. Many of its faciiities are as nice, or nicer that schools in the so-called "Tier #5".

Posted by: tier5schoolsrthebest ()
Date: July 25, 2014 11:54AM

Posted by: Watermeloooon ()
Date: July 26, 2014 05:36PM

I go to annandale. Its a good school man. dont mess with them cholos and your daughter will be safe from rape for a monthly fee of 40 grand.

Posted by: Rise Putzke ()
Date: August 06, 2014 04:30PM

The New School, (private) is pretty awesome. Expensive and "alternative" but I would send my kids there if I could afford it. We used it for one year but it was well worth the price.

Posted by: Einstein HS ()
Date: August 06, 2014 05:16PM

rankings niqqa Wrote:
> FCPS best high schools, based on college
> matriculation stats using my personal algorithm
> software. no two schools are the same but the
> difference is negligible
>
> TJ
> Langley
> Mclean
> Madison/Oakton
> Woodson
> Robinson/Lake Braddock
> Chantilly/Fairfax/Herndon
> Westfield/West Springfield/West Potomac
> Marshall
> South Lakes
> Centreville/Hayfield
> Falls Church/Annandale
> Edison
> Lee
> Mount Vernon
> South County/JEB Stuart

What about Ballou and Springarn?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.