HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mountain Breeze/Art Tech Tree & Lanscape Service...AVOID AT ALL COST!
Posted by: Deceived ()
Date: July 13, 2014 11:50AM

Mountain Breeze Tree and Landscape (also dba Art Tech) is one of those companies that seemes to drive around Fairfax neighborhoods offering good prices on tree and landscaping work. However, they consistently fail to complete jobs as promised, especially if the project includes stump grinding.

Along with two neighbors on our cul-de-sac I contracted with them a little over a month ago to have a couple of trees removed after their estimate was at least 30% less than quotes from companies like JL. The work at all three houses went pretty well, but not without some upsell for services to deal with carpenter ants and suggestions to remove a couple of other small trees. Still, the price seemed reasonable for the amount of work.

After 3 days the only outstanding work was to have them return with a stump grinder to finish the job within a day or two. However, since most of the work was finished they asked for final payment and we all agreed (yes...our mistake not to hold back 10%). The owner stopped by a few times to explain that the rain had delayed work or that the stump grinder was being repaired, but we have been unable to reach anyone from the company for nearly two weeks and check online it is now clear that this is their typical operation.

The company principals are Jonathan Dyer and Anne Dyer...if they knock on your door don't make the same mistake we did.

We plan on taking them to small claims court, but my guess is that this will be a futile effort.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mountain Breeze/Art Tech Tree & Lanscape Service...AVOID AT ALL COST!
Posted by: Yep ()
Date: July 13, 2014 08:18PM

Yep, check out these reviews...

http://www.local.com/business/details/culpeper-va/mountain-breeze-tree-and-landscaping-79306814/

chevy chase resident
More info for folks out there. Beware of any company name affiliated with John W Dyer, Anne Dyer or Jonathan Dyer. More complaints in BBB review link below. (dubdubdub)bbb(dot)org /richmond/business-reviews/tree-service/mountain-breeze-tree-landscaping-in-culpeper-va-63397787

Do not use this company or any other company affiliated with Jonathan Dyer. He is a scam artist. He was hired to do work in May 2014. Was told he would return the following day to complete the work. Never returned and was paid in full. Several phone calls were made to return to complete the work. I was given various excuses of why he couldn't return each week - ankle problems, family member in the hospital, etc... Similar to other complaints I read about him with the better business bureau. Phone numbers are 540-522-4034 and 540-522-3967. I know of other clients he has serviced in my neighborhood - I plan to spread the word to everyone I know in this area to not ever do any business with Jonathan Dyer or Art Tech Tree and Landscaping. Untrustworthy and completely unprofessional. Per comment below, seems as though Mountain Breeze is another one of his company names. Zero Stars (1 required in order to write review).

and

qbickle
Contacted with the service provider in March 2014 to tree and stump removal. Tree was removed in April 2014 however stump was not removed. Full payment was provided to John Dyer. Refund was requested but to this date (June 2014) has not been received. Company actively avoids customer contact, will attempt up sales for necessary project equipment or carpenter ants. Phone numbers periodically change but known numbers are 540-522-9095, 434-242-6361, 434-242-6361. I recommend avoiding doing any business with John Dyer, Anne Dyer, Jonathan Dyer or individual related to this provider.

Posted by: You crazy? ()
Date: July 14, 2014 04:55AM

Those people are the best of the best. I have used them for years, they are true artists. Sounds like you gave them attitude and caused your own problems.

Posted by: LMist ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:58AM

Wow. It appears I should have done some more research before using this company. Similar problem. Received a fair price, 90% of the tree work was completed with the promise to return within a day or two. I had also paid in full not thinking he wouldn't return if he wanted more business from me. I have called Jonathan Dyer over the course of a few months. No response after the first 2 weeks of calling. During this time he would return my calls to tell me he couldn't return because of the rain and other customers that were backed up that he needed to service. Seems as though this is a consistent work practice for him to get customers to pay in full as job is almost completed and never return. Per message above, do not make the same mistake and give this company business. Shame on you Jonathan Dyer and Mountain Breeze Tree and Landscaping (aka Art Tech Tree and Landscaping). Finish your customer work or return the money for work not completed!

Date: July 14, 2014 09:08AM

We agreed to use them after another neighbor shared positive feedback, but in hindsight it was for much smaller projects (i.e., delivering firewood, removing small trees, trimming limbs). At least they are consistent with their excuses.

Our HOA will be sending an e-mail to residents warning of our experience and I hope that it is shared with other HOAs in the area.

Debating whether it is worth taking them to small claims court. My sense is that it happens all the time and they simply ignore the negative judgment.

Posted by: Thanks Mommie ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:11AM

You crazy? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those people are the best of the best. I have used
> them for years, they are true artists. Sounds like
> you gave them attitude and caused your own
> problems.

Mom,
Thanks!
President MountainBreeze Tree and Lanndscape

Posted by: Gina Haldeman ()
Date: July 24, 2014 12:06AM

After 2 successful (although slow) projects were completed, I made the mistake of paying too much up front for a third. After a 1/2 day's work John Dyer disappeared. After weeks and weeks of promises, the phone was disconnected and the cell phone was full. He never contacted me again. Terrible, terrible !!!

Date: July 24, 2014 09:58AM

Mountain Breeze continues to show up on my neighborhood and when I have tried to politely ask when they plan on coming back to grind the stumps (a total of 4 at 3 homes) I get the same "we will be back here tomorrow...you see we have two more and want to get this done for you all" line of BS. I found that the quickest way to piss them off is to knock on the door where they are working to make the homeowner aware. It may not get my work done any sooner (if ever), but hopefully I can help someone avoid making the same mistake.

Posted by: Happy Homeowner Stump Grind ()
Date: July 24, 2014 11:33AM

I've used Richard's Tree Service and SavATree for stump grinding work over the past few years. Both are good. They come when they say they will, they do a good job grinding the stump and major roots, and don't tear up the lawn doing it. And they don't try to upsell you on anything.

They both leave the grindings but pretty much every company does that. They won't haul them away. The grindings can be used for mulch and you're pretty much assured there will be no weed seeds, unlike the free stuff you get from the county.

Posted by: HOHMcLave ()
Date: July 24, 2014 11:55AM

I have been waiting for the last year. They took down one tree and were supposed to haul away the cut pieces. They were also supposed to cut down a second tree in the rear of my property. They convinced me to pay in full because I was about to go on vacation. These things have still not been done since July 2013. I have made 20-30 calls. When I get through, John Dyer has just got out of the hospital or some other BS excuse.

As the header says, "avoid at all costs."

Date: July 24, 2014 12:05PM

I am considering paying $40 for an online background check in order to get an address along with any outstanding judgments and/or liens. My guess is that there are a few of these and collecting will be next to impossible. Since they do not seem to be registered as a corporation with the Commonwealth of Virginia I think that any small claims action would need to be against John Dyer (the father) or Jonathan Dyer (the son).

If it would be helpful I would be happy to post any information I find online...address(es), phone numbers, dba, liens, etc.

I will give them credit, they have the lies down cold...in the hospital, broken wheel on equipment, rain...and make it sound convincing.

Best approach IMO is to disrupt their business if you see them in your neighborhood...we may not get financial satisfaction, but if we can make it painful for Mountain Breeze they will understand how it feels.

Posted by: igetit ()
Date: July 24, 2014 12:05PM

So I do get it - you were screwed. Still no need to post 8 posts under different names. The one or two was sufficient...

Date: July 24, 2014 12:17PM

igetit Wrote:
> So I do get it - you were screwed. Still no need
> to post 8 posts under different names. The one or
> two was sufficient...

What are you talking about? Five, not eight, people have posted bad experiences. You don't believe that multiple people have been screwed by them?

Posted by: VTGW4 ()
Date: July 24, 2014 01:21PM

Deceived Wrote:
> igetit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So I do get it - you were screwed. Still no
> need
> > to post 8 posts under different names. The one
> or
> > two was sufficient...
>
> What are you talking about? Five, not eight,
> people have posted bad experiences. You don't
> believe that multiple people have been screwed by
> them?

and you gave him 2 bad reviews at local.com Like I said I get it you were screwed but you are spamming here and on the review sites.

Date: July 24, 2014 01:44PM

VTGW4 Wrote:
> and you gave him 2 bad reviews at local.com Like
> I said I get it you were screwed but you are
> spamming here and on the review sites.

Spamming? You must not read many of the posts on FFXU.

Not that it matters, but neither of the reviews at local.com are mine. If my complaint sounds the same it is because Mountain Breeze pulls the same act over and over again. Should my neighbors and I have done more due diligence? Absolutely, but hopefully people on FFXU see that this is not isolated to just the occassional dissatisfied customer.

Frankly, if more people took the time to share their experiences, either in forums like this or on sites like local.com Mountain Breeze would crawl back into their hole.

Posted by: John Lee ()
Date: July 29, 2014 03:58PM

Agreed Mountain Breeze Tree and Landscaping are aweful. I doubt the 'true artists' comment is legit.

They will not show up when they say. They will try to upsell service or offer much needed services such as carpenter ant killer. They will take your money and never be seen again.

They appear to change business names often but avoiding anyone with the surname Dyer would be a good start. Requesting to see current contractors license and insurance would also be advisable. Old contractors license was listed to a Travis Clayton Dyer.

They do work in Fairfax, Montgomery County, Charlottsville, Alexandria (Del Ray), Arlington at least.

Posted by: Stump you up ()
Date: July 29, 2014 04:14PM

Sounds like Art Tech does not like grinding on stumps.

Posted by: Munchma Coochie ()
Date: July 31, 2014 07:42PM

Ensure the work is completed in full before providing any payment. If they provide an estimate/contract up front there's no reason why they would need any payment before the work is completed. It's not like they don't know where you live.

This is how I did it with my last landscaping contract and it worked out great.... but then again I didn't use Mountain Breeze.

Posted by: Scammed in Fairfax County ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:31AM

Beware Kings Park West neighbors! Jonathan Dyer, aka "Art Tech Tree and Landscaping" is trolling the neighborhood leaving business cards in your door. Do not call him! Unfortunately, I hired him for a job before researching. He gives lower estimates than others only to hit you with upcharges for "necessary" pieces of equipment needed to finish the job. There will then be more upcharges for carpenter ants, etc. I spent hundreds more than I should have only to have him disappear before completing the job. I paid him in full (yes, my fault) because of his promises to complete the job last Friday because I had to go out for the evening. When I returned, he was packing up his truck and had not finished the work. He said he'd be back "tomorrow" to finish. Well, tomorrow came and went. He did not grind out a final stump, left my yard and my neighbor's yard full of branches and debris, did not cut back the brush over my fence that he promised and never sprayed by trees with some mysterious spray that was supposed to protect them and keep the carpenter ants away. He left me numerous voicemails and text messages over the course of the following week with various excuses always saying he'd return "tomorrow." It's been a week and the work was never completed. Do not hire this scammer!! He sweet-talks you and make it seems like he wants to make you happy and do a good job, then he'll sucker you into paying him earlier so he can cash the check before the bank closes so he can "pay his boys." If you're thinking about hiring him, DON'T and if you've already hired him, DO NOT pay him a penny until you're happy with the work or you'll never see him again.

Posted by: John Lee ()
Date: September 26, 2014 03:14PM

They seem to be using another phone number 540-522-4034. Whatever number or name they are using they are still running the same scam.

In my last conversation with John Dyer he blankedly admitted he works his customers to scam more money out and threatened to teach me a lesson (presumably through physical violence) if I did not leave him alone.

Public records search of the family shows various assult charges including a recent malicious wounding charge against Jonathan Dyer.

These are not people you want to do business with and it is a shame local law enforcement, BBB and the VA contractors board can do or have done nothing to stop them.

Date: October 25, 2014 01:42PM

This is travis Clayton dyer. Me nor my business has anything to with mountain breeze or art tech or any other name this other guy uses. Any questions please call me. 540 718 5015. Thanks

Posted by: Travis Clayton Dyer = FOOL ()
Date: October 25, 2014 02:05PM

travis Clayton dyer Wrote:
> This is travis Clayton dyer. Me nor my business
> has anything to with mountain breeze or art tech
> or any other name this other guy uses. Any
> questions please call me. 540 718 5015. Thanks

Why don't you learn English before wasting our time? Try Honey Boo Boo reruns, loser.

Posted by: Scammed by Art Tech ()
Date: November 05, 2014 07:50PM

I highly doubt that John Dyer reads up the internets, but it appears your scam is out dirtbag! Stick to selling firewood. No one use this jerk. He'll give you 8 million excuses until you call him out. Then the truth will be revealed that he never had any intention of coming back to finish the work.

Posted by: venya ()
Date: November 18, 2014 05:34PM

This company is the worst I have ever worked with. John Dyer is a liar as well as his colleague. They told me that a tree in my backyard only requires trimming and spraying, and they told me a price. Dyer's colleague put spikes on. I asked him if it was safe for the tree. He said Yes. (Later, reps from two other tree care services, after they saw damage caused by spikes, told me that it could potentially kill the tree, and you only suppose to use spikes if you plan to cut a tree.) They randomly chose branches for trimming and cut some of them to close to the trunk of the tree. After they completed trimming and spraying they informed me that the tree was unhealthy and should be cut down. In addition they charged me more than they originally said. It was explained to me that they cut more branches than they initially thought they had to. I recommend anyone to avoid this company at all costs. Also be aware that I have read somewhere that in the past this company had changed its name. So, please,
Remember this name - John Dyer.
One more time, he is a LIAR.
Thank you for your time! I hope that my review was helpful.

Posted by: pring978 ()
Date: December 18, 2014 11:39PM

I will be appearing in Fairfax County Small Claims Ct for the second time tomorrow (Friday, Dec 19) attempting to collect from John Dyer for incomplete Tree Service. Unfortunately, the address I used (11376 Cherry Hill Rd, Culpepper, Va) did not work, so the court has no record of him receiving notice to appear in court. I am hoping that the court will grant me a few more months to locate a good address so that he can be served. Anyone have an address? I have an outstanding claim of $1,600 against him.

Date: December 19, 2014 04:54PM

I won a judgment against John Dyer for $1,600. The problem is that I am responsible for identifying where he is located in order to place an encumbrance against his assets. I would appreciate any help with locating him. My email is tree978@verizon.net

Posted by: Contractors ()
Date: December 19, 2014 05:01PM

Pay a deposit first, then pay the rest when the work is done. If any contractor balks at that, kindly escort them out.

Posted by: kings park homeowner ()
Date: December 19, 2014 05:11PM

You crazy? Wrote:
> Those people are the best of the best. I have used
> them for years, they are true artists. Sounds like
> you gave them attitude and caused your own
> problems.

Plus one. These guys have taken down several trees for me. They have been very professional.

Date: December 19, 2014 08:18PM

I did some more online research. Several years ago, Mountain Breeze
address was listed at 11376 Cherry Hill Rd, Culpepper, Va. This address appears in an old online local directory for Culpepper businesses. The current owner at that address is Robert Jenkins. Zooming in on a satellite picture of the location shows a red truck with a mulcher attached to it. Also, I now recall that John Dyer told us to make payment in someone else's name, and saying that he lost his license. So I am thinking that John Dyer is an alias for Robert Jenkins. Anyone else think this is plausible?

Posted by: Adam 01011 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 09:13PM

Well, I'm no Tracy Dick but, that shit sounds made up.

Posted by: Billy on ()
Date: December 20, 2014 06:05PM

Jenkins is probably a cousin. Anytime a tree hacker knocks on your door it's a safe bet they're related to a Jenkins somehow.

Posted by: Sean Ryals ()
Date: December 21, 2014 08:18PM

Hire me. I am the most reliable contractor in NOVA!

Date: December 22, 2014 05:45PM

Sean Ryals Wrote:
> Hire me. I am the most reliable contractor in
> NOVA!

My experience with Mountain Breeze has left a sour taste in my stomach for procuring tree service in the near future. I believe several other customers feel the same way, and that John Dyer's behavior is ruining the reputation of other tree service vendors.

Posted by: John58 ()
Date: April 06, 2015 03:24PM

New season and these inbred scammers are still at it. They disappeared after I gave them a deposit. Anyone know what neighborhood they are working now? Hoping to simply find out and about or at least put up some flyers warning others about their tricks.

Posted by: yyuyuye ()
Date: April 06, 2015 08:15PM

If the shoddy work was done within the boundaries of Fairfax County, you should also contact the Fairfax County consumer protection agency.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer.htm

File a complaint with them. They'll do about what BBB does, but it's one more record and one more way to help people know who is doing bad work.

In general it is NEVER a good idea to hire people who knock on your door. You want a business, a building, where you can go and complain if there are problems. The fact that there is a building means the people have done good work for a long time. Davey Tree and Merrifield and other such places charge a whole lot more than your two guys in a truck, but there's a reason for that. They're professionals who don't screw you over.

Sorry you got boned. It stinks.

Posted by: Cindy ()
Date: June 10, 2015 09:01AM

Add me to the list. It seems they have moved further out.
Address is 11376 Cherry Hill Road, Culpeper, VA 22701
I am planing on having a bonfire in celebration. Anybody
else that's interested please respond and we will make it a date!
This man needs to be stopped!

Posted by: cindy ()
Date: June 10, 2015 12:21PM

I've had a change of heart, just report him to the IRS as he is dealing in cash, so we know he is not paying Taxes! File tax form 3949-A

Let's stop this smuck!

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: June 10, 2015 10:47PM

Mountain Breeze sounds like an air freshener name...did someone fart?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.