HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Former Lake Ridge resident and state GOP candidate, Faisel Gill, ‘shocked’ by NSA monitoring of him
Posted by: Elliott Ness ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:00AM

Former Lake Ridge resident and state GOP candidate ‘shocked’ by NSA monitoring
http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/former-lake-ridge-resident-and-state-gop-candidate-shocked-by/article_750696d4-0867-11e4-b766-001a4bcf887a.html

A former Lake Ridge resident and Republican candidate for the House of Delegates 51st District was the subject of electronic surveillance by the National Security Agency according to information leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Faisel Gill, an attorney who served in the Navy and then in the Department of Homeland Security under President George W. Bush, was among five Muslim-Americans identified by The Intercept publication to have had their emails monitored by the NSA between 2002 and 2008. The Intercept is a website focused on reporting on information revealed by Snowden.

Gill’s emails were monitored between 2006 and 2008, according to the website.

“I was shocked and surprised when I learned I was being spied on,” Gill said in a Thursday telephone interview with InsideNoVa.com. “I had no idea what I could have done for me to be spied on.

“Everything I’ve done is what a good citizen is supposed to do,” he said. “I served in the military. I was active in local community affairs. I sat on the [Prince William County] library board and the community services board. I’ve volunteered quite a bit. I don’t know what else I have to do to prove I am a patriot.”

He got involved with the Prince William GOP committee about five years before he ran unsuccessfully for the House of Delegates in 2007 against Democrat Paul Nichols.

Gill’s campaign was tainted with alleged connections with Muslim extremists, despite being vindicated by the Department of Homeland Security’s Inspector General of any wrongdoings in 2004.

Those allegations are likely the reason why he lost, he said.

“There were a lot of Republicans who said ‘We are not going to support him because he has connections to terrorist activity and groups.’ Even though none of the Muslim groups I was associated with have ever been charged with any terrorist activity or crimes.

“There was hysteria there and a natural suspicion of Muslims,” Gill. “It leaves you stunned. There is no argument you can make that will make some people change their mind.”

Gill’s parents emigrated from Pakistan in 1980 when he was eight.

“The very last time I was in Pakistan was in 1984 to visit family. I have not been back since,” Gill said. “I am an American, a regular average guy. Some people just wouldn’t go along with that.”

Gill said he remains puzzled as to the timing of the NSA surveillance. It began after he was cleared by Homeland Security of having any connections with terrorist groups and while he was running for office.

“I would be shocked if running for the House of Delegates would spark such a thing but I just have absolutely no idea why,” he said, adding his security clearances where never suspended or impacted.

Gill said the accusations thrown around during the campaign affected his children so a couple of years later, he moved his family to California. “I wanted a clean break,” he said.

He also would like to run for office again someday and feels California’s diversity might be a better place to do so.
Attachments:
53bee80b45ff2_preview-300.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former Lake Ridge resident and state GOP candidate, Faisel Gill, ‘shocked’ by NSA monitoring of him
Posted by: EUTTM ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:04AM

They are spying on everyone, not just you. They are collecting every bit of data they can for whatever purpose they can claim. You routers bought from Walmart, Target, or even those supplied by ISP's have backdoors built into them. Your cellphones have backdoors built into them. You have no privacy anymore. I'm glad Snowden revealed all that to us.

Re: Former Lake Ridge resident and state GOP candidate, Faisel Gill, ‘shocked’ by NSA monitoring of him
Posted by: former atom ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:52AM

Went to high school with this guy in Annandale, class of 1990.

Posted by: 946tG ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:54AM

With the rapid development of technology, the mutual hacking between two countries is very very commonplace. It is rather creepy to hack and steal confidential information of other countries. However, I don't care about politics as well as hacking among countries. I just want to know what if I use those apps like Micro keylogger to monitor all my teens' Internet activities.

Does it count as hacking?
http://www.remotespy.co/pc-keylogger.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.