HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How long do i have to press charges for assault in va?
Posted by: ffx phil ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:26PM

Couple of months ago my ex's partner came to my home and damaged my car and verbally assaulted me. Had a few neighbors witness the whole thing as well as family members. I filed charges against him for destruction of property and thats it. I was told that since he didnt actually do anything to me i couldnt fiile for assault but now im seeing that assault and battery are two different things. How long do i have to press charges for assault??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long do i have to press charges for assault in va?
Posted by: asdfsadfasdf ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:33PM

Phil, Call the police to see if it is too late.

Posted by: 6TCXP ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:54PM

Virginia charges assault and battery as one charge. Virginia requires touching and a malicious purpose.

If he actually didn't do anything to you, then there would be no charge. But if he frightened you and touched you with intent, then he could be.

You should also contact the prosecutor who actually makes a charging decision. There should be a victim advocate in the prosecutor's office who would help you with this. Remember, once you make such an allegation, you are no longer in charge of what happens; you can't take it back.

Posted by: Fairfax County Artemis House ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:00PM

Fairfax County Artemis House (Fairfax County Domestic Violence Shelter) can help you!

(Voice) 703-435-4940; (TTY) 703-435-1235

Artemis House, which is open 24 hours a day, offers safe, confidential, emergency, and short-term residential services and supportive counseling to those who are fleeing physical violence from an intimate partner. Services include crisis intervention, safety planning, domestic violence education, and emotional support for shelter residents and their children. The program also offers assistance in obtaining resources for legal services, employment, housing, food, medical, and other needs.

Source: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dsm/dviolence/rscorganizationsatoz.htm

Posted by: advice ()
Date: July 10, 2014 09:12PM

The statute of limitations for a misdemeanor, like assault, is one year. You don't say what you mean by verbal assault, but words are almost never enough. There has to be fear of an imminent physical act, seperate from his words.

Posted by: Dumb troll ()
Date: July 10, 2014 09:51PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.