HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Son received wreckless driving ticket in Northern VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old
Posted by: Pissed Off Parent ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:19PM

Son received wreckless driving ticket in Northern VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old, minor, no prior moving infraction. What should we expect will happen -- he was in a hurry coming home from school and was unaware of how fast he was going (not paying attention). I personally think he needs to have some punishment, but I am worried about the 11 years and a Misdemeanor Class I offense what will affect his future for college, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Son received wreckless driving ticket in Northern VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old
Posted by: tkMNY ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:23PM

88mph on the toll road!?! WTF did he think was going to happen? There are wall to wall cops all up and down the toll road. He deserves to get his license ripped up and his car impounded for this.

Re: Son received wreckless driving ticket in Northern VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old
Posted by: Spanky ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:25PM

Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Son received wreckless driving ticket in Northern
> VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old,
> minor, no prior moving infraction. What should we
> expect will happen -- he was in a hurry coming
> home from school and was unaware of how fast he
> was going (not paying attention). I personally
> think he needs to have some punishment, but I am
> worried about the 11 years and a Misdemeanor Class
> I offense what will affect his future for college,
> etc.

You should be pissed off. At yourself for not being a better parent. You now will be paying the price. Loser.

Posted by: Troll2Troll ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:26PM

The good news is at least State Farm settled the insurance claim and the car was fixed.

Posted by: Hire a lawyer ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:27PM

Go to court and have him/her talk to the Commonwealth's Attorney prior to the case coming up. They'll probably get it reduced to Failure to Pay Attention or Not Following Posted Signs or some BS like that. $1000 and it becomes a minor moving violation.

Date: July 10, 2014 02:27PM

Troll2Troll Wrote:
> The good news is at least State Farm settled the
> insurance claim and the car was fixed.

I don't understand what you're talking about. The car wasn't damaged, he was pulled over for doing 88mph on the toll road.

Posted by: Reckless Rectum ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:28PM

a7llu.jpg

Posted by: Grammar Nazi ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:29PM

They gave him a ticket for being "wreckless"? Isn't that a good thing? Do they want him to have a wreck instead?

Posted by: John-Paul Gilson ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:31PM

You should speak with a local criminal defense attorney. I offer free consulations for cases like this one in Loudoun and Fairfax.

Call my office at 703-348-9808.

Posted by: The OP's Son... ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:31PM

Grammar Nazi Wrote:
> They gave him a ticket for being "wreckless"?
> Isn't that a good thing? Do they want him to have
> a wreck instead?
Attachments:
DukesFive5.jpg

Posted by: 6hUmp ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:32PM

Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
> etc.

First, get the car speedometer calibrated; even if it out by a couple of miles, it will help. Is there some other explanation why he was driving that fast ie different car than one he was used to driving? Gather and prepare as much positive things about your son, church and school activities, good grades, etc to put him in best possible light. You should think about hiring competent counsel to ensure the radar, lidar or pace was done accurately. Usually a first offense in juvenile court can get s a deferred or suspended disposition, but not necessarily at that speed. You better have taken away his driving privileges already which the court may consider.

Posted by: undertaker ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:35PM

"not paying attention" at 88 mph?

I think you should check out some of the "pre-need" specials offered by our finer mortuaries.

They can save you lots of money when the "need" arises.

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:37PM

Ohh boy, another one of those "my son is an angel..." stories. Get over yourself; your son committed the crime and will now do the time.

Posted by: Udnmm ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:50PM

6hUmp Wrote:
> Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Son received wreckless driving ticket in
> Northern
> > VA (toll road) 88 mph. -- he is 17 yrs. old,
> > minor, no prior moving infraction. What should
> we
> > expect will happen -- he was in a hurry coming
> > home from school and was unaware of how fast he
> > was going (not paying attention). I personally
> > think he needs to have some punishment, but I
> am
> > worried about the 11 years and a Misdemeanor
> Class
> > I offense what will affect his future for
> college,
> > etc.
>
> First, get the car speedometer calibrated; even if
> it out by a couple of miles, it will help. Is
> there some other explanation why he was driving
> that fast ie different car than one he was used to
> driving? Gather and prepare as much positive
> things about your son, church and school
> activities, good grades, etc to put him in best
> possible light. You should think about hiring
> competent counsel to ensure the radar, lidar or
> pace was done accurately. Usually a first offense
> in juvenile court can get s a deferred or
> suspended disposition, but not necessarily at that
> speed. You better have taken away his driving
> privileges already which the court may consider.

I agree with and I would like to add about your concerns about some punishment. Reckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor, as you are aware, and as such has a punishment of up to 1 year in jail, up to a $2500 fine and a possible 6 months loss of license and a criminal record. I am sure that this is not the type of punishment you would find appropriate for his actions. More appropriately would be a fine, some points on his license (as a traffic infraction), perhaps community service, and any punishment you wish to impose at home.

Please consult an attorney.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Troll Feeders ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:56PM

Are there people dumb enough to keep falling for these troll threads, or is OP just responding to himself?

Date: July 10, 2014 02:58PM

Independent Wrote:
> Ohh boy, another one of those "my son is an
> angel..." stories. Get over yourself; your son
> committed the crime and will now do the time.

I didn't say he was an "angel", I said he wasn't paying attention and was driving too fast. Sure he deserves to be punished but just because he got a reckless driving charge doesn't mean he has to flush away his life. Besides, he has no prior charges.

Posted by: hNPkC ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:01PM

Troll Feeders Wrote:
> Are there people dumb enough to keep falling for
> these troll threads, or is OP just responding to
> himself?

Sadly this is typical on FFU. Once someone gets legal advice here, we get a flood of threads also asking for advice.

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:03PM

Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
> Independent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ohh boy, another one of those "my son is an
> > angel..." stories. Get over yourself; your son
> > committed the crime and will now do the time.
>
> I didn't say he was an "angel", I said he wasn't
> paying attention and was driving too fast. Sure he
> deserves to be punished but just because he got a
> reckless driving charge doesn't mean he has to
> flush away his life. Besides, he has no prior
> charges.

Spare me the sob story.

Posted by: XChE4 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:12PM

88mph is more than not "paying attention" that's a clear disregard for not just the speed limit and the law, but for the safety of other people. I say throw the book at him!

Posted by: wCh3v ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:13PM

Posted by: Richard Petty ()

A friend of mine got caught on the toll road for the same thing. He got a lawyer. The outcome was a fine and he was put on probation for 1 year.

The judge said if his driving record remained clean for one year he would dismiss any jail time and reduce the ticket to reckless to speeding.

I imagine that is what will happen in your sons case.

Posted by: Angry Person! ()

In my opinion this website is extremely repulsive. So many people just talking trash about one another, having no remorse or proof of the allegations being made. This site is filled with people who have nothing better to do than hurt other from behind a computer screen. Why this should be a website about helping others and passing information around a community not a war zone where people put other people on trial and say horrible things about people. This is no better than cyber bullying except the anonymous names prevent you from having to reveal who they are. This is like a middle school where people do nothing but start rumors about others to hurt people’s feelings.

I hope that you read this message and think, about your future activity and really only present information that is factual and helpful to others in the northern Virginia area. Put yourself in the person you’re about to hurt before you post your message.

Posted by: Seen It ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:16PM

Not going to lie - 88 really isn't that fast. The speed limit is too low for that road and cops know it hence why there are so many of them on the road. Cop was trying to get his quota up - people saying that he puts others in danger is just a myth circulated by the media.

A reckless isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It won't hurt him getting into college. If you want to go the full 9 - get a defense attorney and try to get to lowered to speeding based on his good stature with the state and overall record. Or go by yourself and explain it to the judge.

Posted by: Ah HA! ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:16PM

wCh3v Wrote:
> Dumb troll post copied from here:
>
> http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/son-received-wre
> ckless-driving-ticket-in-northern--967996.html

Troll or John-Paul Gilson trying to drum up some business?

Posted by: Your mum sux ()
Date: July 11, 2014 01:46AM

Poor kid...

Posted by: dUu6U ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:51AM

Similar thing happened to my kid. Kid was 16 and got a reckless, which is a misdemeanor. Technically, you can go to jail for that but that almost never happens, especially for a first offense. We turned in the kid's license to the DMV prior to the court date, which showed the judge that as parents, we took things seriously and were punishing the kid ourselves, and also let the judge not have to suspend the license, which would have shown up on the record. We also enrolled kid in a safe driving class, which is going to happen when you go to court anyway, so do it ahead of time so the judge will be lenient. Show that you as the parent are handling the matter. Kid ended up with $500 fine, $400 suspended, so we paid $100 fine plus $75 court costs, and kid got 50 hours of community service. Do these two things - turn in his license, enroll him in a driver safety course, then when you go to court, the judge will be MUCH more lenient and will probably impose a similar fine with a large portion suspended and some community service. The judge also asked us not to let our kid have the license back for 6 months, which we agreed to do (we added two months for good measure). We are lawyers so as officers of the court, the judge trusted us to comply. You may or may not be so lucky, but try it. If your are upstanding citizens the judge will probably go along with it. Your kid is going to get a suspended license for 3-6 months whether you and he like or it not, which will show up on his record and raise your insurance rates, so turn it in today and suck it up and save yourself the ding on his record and the higher rates.

Posted by: Next Time... ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:59AM

Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
> etc.

Let the Dog Drive!
Attachments:
Dog-Driving.jpg

Posted by: Advice ()
Date: July 11, 2014 07:31AM

Go ahead and right now, sign him up for a driver improvement class. There is usually an all-day class on a weekend that he can take. He has to pass the tests 100%, but at the end of the day it will add 5 "positive" points on his license (reducing the ones he just got). When he goes to court, bring this evidence that he too the class. The judge will most likely reduce the charge.

Posted by: Dulles Troll Road ()
Date: July 11, 2014 07:49AM

Leave Brittney Alone!!!

Posted by: FGuWw ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:14AM

Why do cars need to go faster than 55 mph?

Posted by: Good Answer ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:16AM

FGuWw Wrote:
> Why do cars need to go faster than 55 mph?

To get one from one place to another faster. Because of traffic jams and gridlock, we often have to speed to get to appointments and meetings ontime.

Posted by: Minor Resentment ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:32AM

Take your kid to the nearest Armed Forces Recruiting Center. He's old enough to enlist with your signature. Do like my family did; while he's in boot camp, move.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:36AM

Pissed Off Parent Wrote:
> etc.

Baloney. No one can go 88 mph and not know they are doing it deliberately. The best that can happen is the judge can charge with "Speeding 20+ mph" instead of "reckless driving". The police did that for me once when I was caught doing 80 on I95 just north of Richmond.

Posted by: x69F9 ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:37AM

Minor Resentment Wrote:
> Take your kid to the nearest Armed Forces
> Recruiting Center. He's old enough to enlist with
> your signature. Do like my family did; while he's
> in boot camp, move.

LOL!

+100

Posted by: JustAnFYIforCaptObvious ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:40AM

Seriously, no one made the connection on the speed and the movie? You guys are losing your edge and are slow today...

Posted by: nbhpD ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:42AM

JustAnFYIforCaptObvious Wrote:
> Seriously, no one made the connection on the speed
> and the movie? You guys are losing your edge and
> are slow today...
>
>

Posted by: aging debbie does dallas fan ()
Date: July 11, 2014 01:32PM

tkMNY Wrote:
> 88mph on the toll road!?! WTF did he think was
> going to happen? There are wall to wall cops all
> up and down the toll road. He deserves to get his
> license ripped up and his car impounded for this.

shut up you facist peice of shit. you ass would take candy from a baby, eat it, then leave the baby in a car rotting.

a kid gets a stiff warning on first offense let's him know they are serious, is all

---------------------
if an adult ? pay a fine thank you. are you past x dmv pts no? ok.

that's the way it was

Posted by: nChyH ()
Date: July 11, 2014 01:33PM

bull. community service required for speeding ticket. bull.

Posted by: PPPdy ()
Date: July 11, 2014 01:35PM

LYING SACK OF SHIT

"reduced to $1000"

speeding is say $75 up to $175 for wreckless

don't listen to fx co gov sacks of shit. they are WordPad'ing themselves a bunch of new rules

and i'm suing them for it

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.