HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I have a conviction on my record. Will anyone ever hire me?
Posted by: Robin ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:17AM

I have been applying for several (job's on & off snag-a-job) and have gotten interviews. All the apps ask about convictions for felonies and misdemeanors. l currently have a misdemeanor from 2008 and I always disclose it.

At the interviews they act like they didn't see my answer and then when the subject comes up the interview is over. So, I tried a different approach and started disclosing the fact that I have one and a copy of my background check. I offer to provide them with a copy, say I'm available to openly discuss during an interview. Since trying that approach, no interviews.

The conviction is an assault charge, which I know is a person to person crime and looked down upon heavily, but mine is from a fight with my younger sister.?

My question: Will anyone ever hire me? If it was any other crime or a felony, I'd be working.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I have a conviction on my record. Will anyone ever hire me?
Posted by: C6tjG ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:21AM

I got a class III felony back in 2001 and it has followed me to this very day. A lot of applications say “past 7 years” for a record, but more and more companies are doing background checks.

Luckily for me, I can finally get my record expunged. The lawyer is $1,000 where I live and takes 8-12 months for it to finally come off your record. Once that happens, I hope I will have my education finished and I can finally move forward with my life.

I got a class III felony back in 2001 and it has followed me to this very day. A lot of applications say “past 7 years” for a record, but more and more companies are doing background checks.

Luckily for me, I can finally get my record expunged. The lawyer is $1,000 where I live and takes 8-12 months for it to finally come off your record. Once that happens, I hope I will have my education finished and I can finally move forward with my life.

Posted by: JPe4p ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:23AM

I was convicted on a felony back in 2001 in california. After I served my time I was hired at a federally-funded senior home. they knew of my conviction and said that they would hire me but that when the background check came back there might be a chance i would be let go because the state of california might decide i couldn’t work there anymore. 6 months later, the background check came back and i was let go because the state said “i wasn’t a person of good character.” my question is what is the reason i should put on my application of why i was let go. the application asks if i have been convicted of a crime within 7 years and I haven’t. i need to list this job because it is relevant to the job i am currently applying for. i don’t want to mention the conviction at all, but i don’t want to lie about it. any suggestions on what to say the reason for leaving the job was?

Posted by: likely ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:33AM

I got a job with a DUI. I wowed them at the interview, had good references, and showed them I was bold by even applying–the job required a “clean driving record”. They asked me what had happened and I told them the WHOLE story. They appreciated my honesty and hired me on the spot–even before the background check came through. I brought it up at the interview without them even asking me about it, just to clear the air.

Even though I was fired last week for performance issues and everyone there hated me and I will probably not land a reference from anyone–it gave me the confidence in my job search; sure I was rejected…but I was NOT afraid of rejection anymore. I became desensitized to it. I am eligible to get it expunged and will still aggressively look for work knowing that I landed a GREAT job by being honest–even though it didn’t end so well. I was there for a year. Honesty is the best policy and will get you far. Don’t be afraid. Keep trying.

Posted by: mHcHp ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:42AM

Hi David – Have you thought about getting involved with a local organization like Goodwill? They will have resources and connections in your area that can be a big help in your situation.

Posted by: dFk7G ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:56AM

My federal conviction was 15 years ago. I got my first job after I was released with help from the Employment Commission. I worked there for 10 years and as far as I know no one there knew about my conviction. Since I left that position (which was a big mistake) I was able to get three jobs with my resume and my reputation only, never had to fill out an application. I have not been hired by any companies where I filled out an employment application because they ask if I’ve ever been convicted of a felony and I have answered honestly.
The companies that hired me based on my resume and reputation ran criminal background checks but no one ever said anything to me about my record. Is it not showing up?

Needless to say it is extremely disheartening to feel that no one will give you a chance to prove yourself when they find out that you have had a federal conviction no matter how long ago it was.

Posted by: I Can Help ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:26PM

We need to see a picture of your sister before we can give a good answer.

Posted by: mHcHp ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:26PM

This is a posting from Goodwill Industries. It is one of the two jobs they have posted in our area. Specifically says they won’t hire anyone with a criminal background for a minimum wage job. Seems like they are not a whole lot of help, hmmmm????

Company Description
Goodwill Industries of Southern New Jersey & Philadelphia is a nonprofit, community-based organization. Goodwill works to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by strengthening communities, eliminating barriers to opportunity, and helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work. Through our job training and career services, Goodwill helps local residents with disabilities and disadvantages obtain the marketable job skills needed to become employed.

Job Description
Goodwill’s Contracts team in Pennsauken is hiring! We are looking to add a talented Production Assembler to our team. As a Production Assembler for Goodwill, you will have a chance to earn a living while supporting Goodwill’s mission to help people with disabilities or disadvantages achieve their potential through work.

Qualifications
DUE TO THE OBLIGATIONS OF THE PRODUCTION ASSEMBLER JOB, APPLICANTS WHO HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME CANNOT BE HIRED FOR THIS POSITION.

Specific Duties:*
?Performs industrial assembly functions and other light assembly operations as needed.
?Follows company policies and safety procedures.
?Interacts courteously with other employees of Goodwill and of businesses for which Goodwill provides services.
?Regular attendance is required.
?Other duties as assigned (non-essential).

*All duties are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.

Skills and Abilities Needed:**
?Ability to engage in prolonged sitting and repetitious duties.
?Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
?Flrxibility to cover other areas of Goodwill when needed.
?Ability to function in a hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.

**All skills and abilities are considered to be essential, unless otherwise indicated.

Additional Information
This is a part-time position, paying $7.75 per hour.

Posted by: We all have to lie a little ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:32PM

Are you applying for a TS Government job? Or an unskilled job like retail, or fast food?

Anyways here is what you do.

Find a locally owned business, and just lie on your application. They don't do background checks, my past employer (a small family owned Medical practice) used FFXU (Not kidding lol) to check backgrounds.

Posted by: Employment Sure Bets ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:41PM

The bigger the crime, the more qualified you are to work as a car salesman or perhaps get a cabinet position in the Obama administration. You're welcome.

Posted by: hK7FG ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:43PM

i was 18 when i got a felony attempted break. I’m 24 and now have two Jobs. Trust me its hard wont lie to you, but you have to keep pushing and not be deterred. have to have faith and a strong will cause you will be tested

Posted by: Troll Alert ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:48PM

OP making up numerous troll threads along these lines.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:57PM

likely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though I was fired last week for performance
> issues and everyone there hated me

This is refreshing to hear someone be so honest. You show us your ass here. I like when someone can put their god damn ego aside for two minutes and tell the truth about something. Reading on the internet you would think everyone looks like Brad Pitt, makes six figures, only bangs 10's and has a 9" prick.

Posted by: CURTRIS ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:58PM

hK7FG Wrote:
> i was 18 when i got a felony attempted break.
> I’m 24 and now have two Jobs. Trust me its hard
> wont lie to you, but you have to keep pushing and
> not be deterred. have to have faith and a strong
> will cause you will be tested

HI I’M CURTRIS AND I’M 22 YEARS OLD. I HAVE THEFT ON MY RECORD FROM 2009 AND 2012. I HAVE PUT IN ABOUT 25 APPLICATIONS IN THE PAST MONTH AND I HAVE HAD 3 INTERVIEWS–ALORICA, BELK AND BOJANGLES. I HAVE NEVER BEEN EMPLOYED BUT I NEED A JOB ASAP. I DIDNT GET HIRED AT ALORICA BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ENOUGH WORK OR LIFE EXPERIENCE. BELK NEVER CALLED BACK AND BOJANGLES SAID THAT BECAUSE IT HASNT BEEN 7 YEARS I CANT BE HIRED WITH THEM. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT PLACES HAVE HIRED PEOPLE WITH A MISDEMEANOR. PLZZ HELP.

Posted by: uHU6G ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:39PM

this is simple. apply to places that are known to hire fellons or ask them if they do before going through too much effort.

why ask us if they will ? we don't know and can't make them.

do you see ?

Posted by: FxUnn ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:53PM

Robin Wrote:
> I have a conviction on my record. Will anyone ever hire me?

Answer: No way in Hell.

Posted by: 6mVbb ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:59PM

C6tjG Wrote:
> I got a class III felony back in 2001 and it has
> followed me to this very day. A lot of
> applications say “past 7 years” for a record,
> but more and more companies are doing background
> checks.
>
> Luckily for me, I can finally get my record
> expunged. The lawyer is $1,000 where I live and
> takes 8-12 months for it to finally come off your
> record. Once that happens, I hope I will have my
> education finished and I can finally move forward
> with my life.

but the dumb ass judges left the bank door open (to gov workers stealing pay)

and left the files open too (well it's complicated though). while rulings are public they weren't intended to be used as lifetime defamation (and due to error, shouldn't be). but they are **

there's no way to expunge. the point of expunging is irrelevant and a lie when it's been allowed for a 3rd point to record and publicize the records

they don't care they are over paid gov workers life is good for them.

---------------------------
HEY

don't pay fx. co. thief $1000 to get expunged. download the form, fill it in, drop it off at the courthouse. also: they can say no to expungement depends on case. it's not a guaruntee.

Posted by: Angry Person! ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:16PM

In my opinion this website is extremely repulsive. So many people just talking trash about one another, having no remorse or proof of the allegations being made. This site is filled with people who have nothing better to do than hurt other from behind a computer screen. Why this should be a website about helping others and passing information around a community not a war zone where people put other people on trial and say horrible things about people. This is no better than cyber bullying except the anonymous names prevent you from having to reveal who they are. This is like a middle school where people do nothing but start rumors about others to hurt people’s feelings.

I hope that you read this message and think, about your future activity and really only present information that is factual and helpful to others in the northern Virginia area. Put yourself in the person you’re about to hurt before you post your message.

Posted by: yikers ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:36PM

My dog is a total bad-ass. I called a mobile groomer thinking it would be easier on him then taking him to a shop and making him stay there all day. The groomer was an obvious ex-convict. My dog bows to now one and even totally disrespects my special forces brother. He instantly rolled on his back for this guy. I insisted on staying around and my dog never looked more beautiful. So, they are great at scaring the shit out of naughty spoiled brat little dogs.

But anyways- that really blows. I stopped hanging out with this guy because he pressed charges on his brother for hitting him. He was 20 times stronger in everyway than his brother, was always a total dick to him and the guy had nothing better to do than smack him. Made his Mom pay all those lawyer/court fees and stigmatized his idiot brother for life.

Posted by: feeling rejected ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:35AM

I was recently fired from a job as a maintenance man, at a local, high-end hotel in Fairfax, specifically for having a criminal history. When I was returning my uniform I was told by my immediate boss, " We don't need your type around here." I was never late for work. Never refused an assignment. Stayed late if I had to. Always cordial and polite to the guests. My job performance was above the call of duty. Never once was I asked about having a criminal back-ground. Nor was it on my application that I filled out to get the job. I only have about 45 days left to file a complaint with the EEOC and I don't want to do this wrong. Is this job descrimination?

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: July 14, 2014 03:02PM

In Virginia, jobs don't have to tell you why there getting rid of a person.

Posted by: Need Faith and a job ()
Date: July 15, 2014 12:54PM

Hi All, It is very discouraging not finding employment after any type of conviction. I have a 26 soon to be 27 year felony conviction, which is prohibiting me from finding work. Since that conviction I’ve gone back to school and received a degree in Nursing. I volunteer for the community and continue to repent and atone for my past transgressions. I’ve learned now, that even to volunteer, you will now have background checks done. I am fortunate I was able to work as a Nurse for 6 years. When I resigned for a higher position, I was hired on but let go after not only a criminal background check but a consumers report check. I have been out of work for 2 years now, but continue to keep the FAITH, GOD has purpose! If only man would give second chances as my FATHER has Good Luck everyone in your endeavors!

All I'm asking for is a 2nd chance.

Jobs for Felons – Felon Friendly Employment
Posted by: Jobs for Felons link ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:03PM

http://exoffenders.net/employment-jobs-for-felons/

Below is our list of jobs for felons. This is always being updated to add and remove employers. Employers are added and removed from our felon friendly employer list frequently. The list we have is always changing. The hope is that ex-offenders seeking jobs with a felony will be able to find something here. If you’re an ex-offender looking for work, try some of the companies below. Let us know if you have any issues in a comment, and we’ll help the best we can. If this is your first time trying to find a job with a felony, I’ve written a guide for you to read. Just click here. This also goes for people having a hard time getting a job with a felony. Thanks for checking out our list of jobs for felons / felon friendly employment.

We’d recommend checking out Snagajob for more local, smaller business opportunities. Signing up is totally free, but not mandatory to use their site. Having an account does make it quicker and easier to apply to jobs. You can also have job alerts sent to you email, which will let you know when new jobs that match your criteria are posted. There are a decent amount of jobs for felons which are more local than we have on here. Three people currently maintain this site. It would be impossible for us to maintain a list of local small businesses and local companies that are known to hire felons. Smaller businesses are a lot better at hiring people with criminal records.

Please note that just because a company is listed here does not mean you have a 100% chance of landing the job. It’s not a list of jobs for felons you’ll definitely get.

There is a book called Jobs For Felons by Michael Ford that may be helpful as well. If you have a few bucks to spare, it may be worth picking up.

We’d also suggest following us on Twitter @Exoffenders for live updates on this section and others. We always tweet when we update the jobs for felons section.

We have no affiliation with these employers. You have to go to their hiring website through the link to apply. Leaving a comment for the employer will not get to them.

We’re more than just a jobs for felons list! Why not give our resources section as well as the state reentry & assistance sections a look? There might be some things in there that can help you as well.

Jobs for Felons / Felon Friendly Employers List:
Aamco
Ace Hardware
Albertson’s
Allstate Insurance Company
American Greetings
Andersen Windows
Apple Inc.
Applebee’s
Aramark
AT&T
Avon Products
Baskin-Robbins
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Western
Black & Decker
Braum’s Inc.
Bridgestone
Budget Rent-A-Car
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cambell’s Soup
Canon
Carl’s Jr.
Carrier Corporation
Caterpillar Inc.
CDW
Chick-fil-A
Chili’s
Chipotle
Chrysler
Cintas
Community Education Centers
ConAgra Foods
Dairy Queen
Deer Park Spring Water co.
Delta Faucets
Denny’s
Dole Food Company
Dollar Rent-A-Car
Dollar Tree
Divizio Industries
Dr. Pepper
Dunlop Tires
Dunkin’ Donuts
DuPont
Duracell
Embassy Suites
Epson
ERMCO, Inc.
Family Dollar
Firestone Auto Care
Flying J
Food Services of America
Frito-Lay
Fruit of the Loom
Fujifilm
General Electric
General Mills
Georgia-Pacific
Golden Corral
Goodwill
Grainger
Greyhound
Hanes
Hilton Hotels
IBM
IHOP
Ikea
In-N-Out Burger
J.B. Hunt Transport
Jack in the Box
Jiffy Lube
K-Mart
Kelly Moore Paints
KFC
Kohl’s
Kraft Foods
Kroger
Longhorn Steakhouse
LSG Sky Chefs
McDonald’s
Meijer
Men’s Wearhouse
Metals USA
Miller Brewing Company
Motorola
The New York Times
O’Charleys
Olive Garden
Pactiv
Pappadeaux
PepsiCo
PetSmart
Phillip Morris Inc.
Pilgrim’s
Radisson
Red Lobster
Red Robin
Restaurant Depot
Rubbermaid
Safeway
Salvation Army
Sara Lee
Sears & Roebuck Co.
Shell Oil
Shoprite
Sony
Subway
Sysco
Target
Toys “R” Us
Trader Joes
Tyson Foods
Uhaul
US Steel Corporation
Volunteers of America
Walgreens
Wendy’s
Wyndham Hotels
Xerox

Below is our list of jobs for felons. This is always being updated to add and remove employers. Employers are added and removed from our felon friendly employer list frequently. The list we have is always changing. The hope is that ex-offenders seeking jobs with a felony will be able to find something here. If you’re an ex-offender looking for work, try some of the companies below. Let us know if you have any issues in a comment, and we’ll help the best we can. If this is your first time trying to find a job with a felony, I’ve written a guide for you to read. Just click here. This also goes for people having a hard time getting a job with a felony. Thanks for checking out our list of jobs for felons / felon friendly employment.

We’d recommend checking out Snagajob for more local, smaller business opportunities. Signing up is totally free, but not mandatory to use their site. Having an account does make it quicker and easier to apply to jobs. You can also have job alerts sent to you email, which will let you know when new jobs that match your criteria are posted. There are a decent amount of jobs for felons which are more local than we have on here. Three people currently maintain this site. It would be impossible for us to maintain a list of local small businesses and local companies that are known to hire felons. Smaller businesses are a lot better at hiring people with criminal records.

Please note that just because a company is listed here does not mean you have a 100% chance of landing the job. It’s not a list of jobs for felons you’ll definitely get.

There is a book called Jobs For Felons by Michael Ford that may be helpful as well. If you have a few bucks to spare, it may be worth picking up.

We’d also suggest following us on Twitter @Exoffenders for live updates on this section and others. We always tweet when we update the jobs for felons section.

We have no affiliation with these employers. You have to go to their hiring website through the link to apply. Leaving a comment for the employer will not get to them.

We’re more than just a jobs for felons list! Why not give our resources section as well as the state reentry & assistance sections a look? There might be some things in there that can help you as well.

Aamco
Ace Hardware
Albertson’s
American Greetings
Andersen Windows
Apple Inc.
Applebee’s
Aramark
AT&T
Avon Products
Baskin-Robbins
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Western
Black & Decker
Braum’s Inc.
Bridgestone
Budget Rent-A-Car
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cambell’s Soup
Canon
Carl’s Jr.
Carrier Corporation
Caterpillar Inc.
CDW
Chick-fil-A
Chili’s
Chipotle
Chrysler
Cintas
ConAgra Foods
Dairy Queen
Delta Faucets
Denny’s
Dole Food Company
Dollar Rent-A-Car
Dollar Tree
Divizio Industries
Dr. Pepper
Dunlop Tires
Dunkin’ Donuts
DuPont
Duracell
Embassy Suites
Epson
ERMCO, Inc.
Family Dollar
Firestone Auto Care
Flying J
Food Services of America
Frito-Lay
Fruit of the Loom
Fujifilm
General Electric
General Mills
Georgia-Pacific
Golden Corral
Goodwill
Grainger
Greyhound
Hanes
Hilton Hotels
IBM
IHOP
Ikea
In-N-Out Burger
J.B. Hunt Transport
Jack in the Box
Jiffy Lube
K-Mart
Kelly Moore Paints
KFC
Kohl’s
Kraft Foods
Kroger
Longhorn Steakhouse
LSG Sky Chefs
McDonald’s
Meijer
Men’s Wearhouse
Metals USA
Miller Brewing Company
Motorola
The New York Times
O’Charleys
Olive Garden
Pactiv
Pappadeaux
PepsiCo
PetSmart
Phillip Morris Inc.
Pilgrim’s
Radisson
Red Lobster
Red Robin
Restaurant Depot
Rubbermaid
Safeway
Salvation Army
Sara Lee
Sears & Roebuck Co.
Shell Oil
Shoprite
Sony
Subway
Sysco
Target
Toys “R” Us
Trader Joes
Tyson Foods
Uhaul
US Steel Corporation
Volunteers of America
Walgreens
Wendy’s
Wyndham Hotels
Xerox

Aamco
Ace Hardware
Albertson’s
American Greetings
Andersen Windows
Apple Inc.
Applebee’s
Aramark
AT&T
Avon Products
Baskin-Robbins
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Western
Black & Decker
Braum’s Inc.
Bridgestone
Budget Rent-A-Car
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cambell’s Soup
Canon
Carl’s Jr.
Carrier Corporation
Caterpillar Inc.
CDW
Chick-fil-A
Chili’s
Chipotle
Chrysler
Cintas
ConAgra Foods
Dairy Queen
Delta Faucets
Denny’s
Dole Food Company
Dollar Rent-A-Car
Dollar Tree
Divizio Industries
Dr. Pepper
Dunlop Tires
Dunkin’ Donuts
DuPont
Duracell
Embassy Suites
Epson
ERMCO, Inc.
Family Dollar
Firestone Auto Care
Flying J
Food Services of America
Frito-Lay
Fruit of the Loom
Fujifilm
General Electric
General Mills
Georgia-Pacific
Golden Corral
Goodwill
Grainger
Greyhound
Hanes
Hilton Hotels
IBM
IHOP
Ikea
In-N-Out Burger
J.B. Hunt Transport
Jack in the Box
Jiffy Lube
K-Mart
Kelly Moore Paints
KFC
Kohl’s
Kraft Foods
Kroger
Longhorn Steakhouse
LSG Sky Chefs
McDonald’s
Meijer
Men’s Wearhouse
Metals USA
Miller Brewing Company
Motorola
The New York Times
O’Charleys
Olive Garden
Pactiv
Pappadeaux
PepsiCo
PetSmart
Phillip Morris Inc.
Pilgrim’s
Radisson
Red Lobster
Red Robin
Restaurant Depot
Rubbermaid
Safeway
Salvation Army
Sara Lee
Sears & Roebuck Co.
Shell Oil
Shoprite
Sony
Subway
Sysco
Target
Toys “R” Us
Trader Joes
Tyson Foods
Uhaul
US Steel Corporation
Volunteers of America
Walgreens
Wendy’s
Wyndham Hotels
Xerox

Posted by: Obligatory GOP troll ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:17PM

The president of the USA

Posted by: Just an FYI ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:20PM

My son was 18 when he and several friends skipped on a $17 cab fare. He was convicted of "theft of services". He is now 22 and has been unable to find a job on the books since the conviction. NO ONE WILL HIRE HIM. Even McDonald's runs criminal background checks. He was told by one employer, "Look, don't waste your time or mine. We don't hire people with records." It has been four years since this incident. It was a stupid mistake made by a teenager. Is he supposed to suffer for this for the rest of his life? Right now, he is bussing tables for $20/shift (no matter how many hours he works). He gets tips, but on a slow day, he can work 12 hours for $40. He does not have the money to hire a lawyer. I called the DA's office and they told me that they have "never heard of anyone trying to expunge a record without an attorney and they "have no idea how to go about it". They were very willing, however, to refer me to a select list of lawyers. Basically, this kid is 22 and screwed for life.

Posted by: sweating alot ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:34PM

I have been working for the federal government for 27 years. I am a senior manager. I have been fingerprinted twice since that time and did not encounter any problems. I am currently on loan from my home agency to another agency for 6 months. I had to have a background check for a non-sensitive position to get a badge and use their computers. My fingerprint results came back with a “record”. I am waiting for the hard copy of the report and am stressing like crazy. Needless to say I am embarrassed. This not only looks bad for me, but my home agency and the agency I am on loan. I have been racking my brain and all I can come up with is a bounced check back in the early 70s. Can’t really remember the disposition so I won’t pretend to. I do know I have never been to jail. Do you think this will hurt me?

Posted by: stay clean ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:36PM

Just an FYI Wrote:
> My son was 18 when he and several friends skipped
> on a $17 cab fare. He was convicted of "theft of
> services". He is now 22 and has been unable to
> find a job on the books since the conviction. NO
> ONE WILL HIRE HIM. Even McDonald's runs criminal
> background checks. He was told by one employer,
> "Look, don't waste your time or mine. We don't
> hire people with records." It has been four years
> since this incident. It was a stupid mistake made
> by a teenager. Is he supposed to suffer for this
> for the rest of his life? Right now, he is bussing
> tables for $20/shift (no matter how many hours he
> works). He gets tips, but on a slow day, he can
> work 12 hours for $40. He does not have the money
> to hire a lawyer. I called the DA's office and
> they told me that they have "never heard of anyone
> trying to expunge a record without an attorney and
> they "have no idea how to go about it". They were
> very willing, however, to refer me to a select
> list of lawyers. Basically, this kid is 22 and
> screwed for life.

If he stays out of trouble for another few years he will be fine.

Posted by: GMXNy ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:04PM

It’s hilarious how people with clean criminal records are giving advice to people with criminal records as to what to say and do at job interviews. I am convicted of a violent crime that I did not commit. Regardless, I have changed since that time. I haven’t consumed alcohol in more than 7 years and I haven’t broken a law or even so much as had a conversation with a police officer. As far as employers are concerned, it doesn’t matter what I say, how long ago my conviction was, how much I’ve changed, how qualified I am, etc. ALL that matters is my assault conviction. I have applied to more than 3000 jobs, been to more than 100 job interviews, and I have received more than 50 conditional job offers. With that condition being the successful completion of a criminal background check. I always disclose my conviction when asked to on an application, hr, hiring manager, etc. Most hr employees, interviewing and hiring managers are so stupid that they don’t even look at the criminal background section of the application. And then I, with my absolutely sick interviewing skills, gets dragged through multiple interviews with a false sense of hope, only to ultimately remain unemployed. All that matters is that the conviction is there. I have had many hiring managers who have wanted to hire me, but hr always has something to say. I wish that our law makers, or these company policy makers could experience what this is like, if only for a month or two. I’ve been dealing with it for nearly two years. What a horrible system and society this is.

Posted by: LMcHW ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:15PM

I agree I have a federal felony for making PA drivers license and payroll checks 14yrs ago and still couldn’t get a job so I sold drugs, stopped, and started my own business which is now thriving, we did $170,000 in sales last year but hey the law makers sometimes force our hand. I agree this society is something else. I live in Pittsburgh and all I hire is felons ! they are the best employees I’ve ever had !!!!

Posted by: self employed. ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:19PM

GMXNy Wrote:
> It’s hilarious how people with clean criminal
> records are giving advice to people with criminal
> records as to what to say and do at job
> interviews.

We are the ones interviewing you.

I am convicted of a violent crime that
> I did not commit. Regardless, I have changed since
> that time. I haven’t consumed alcohol in more
> than 7 years and I haven’t broken a law or even
> so much as had a conversation with a police
> officer. As far as employers are concerned, it
> doesn’t matter what I say, how long ago my
> conviction was, how much I’ve changed, how
> qualified I am, etc. ALL that matters is my
> assault conviction. I have applied to more than
> 3000 jobs, been to more than 100 job interviews,
> and I have received more than 50 conditional job
> offers. With that condition being the successful
> completion of a criminal background check. I
> always disclose my conviction when asked to on an
> application, hr, hiring manager, etc. Most hr
> employees, interviewing and hiring managers are so
> stupid that they don’t even look at the criminal
> background section of the application. And then I,
> with my absolutely sick interviewing skills, gets
> dragged through multiple interviews with a false
> sense of hope, only to ultimately remain
> unemployed. All that matters is that the
> conviction is there. I have had many hiring
> managers who have wanted to hire me, but hr always
> has something to say. I wish that our law makers,
> or these company policy makers could experience
> what this is like, if only for a month or two.
> I’ve been dealing with it for nearly two years.
> What a horrible system and society this is.

Learn a trade skill and start working for yourself. I started as a painter and now have a HVAC company with 4 employees. It can be done, just takes dedication and hard work.

Posted by: Iris ()
Date: March 09, 2015 10:08PM

Good luck my Friend, Iam looking for a job to and I have something in my background about 28 years ago. .still stop my self work

Posted by: wally ()
Date: March 09, 2015 11:57PM

I know that Dollar Tree does not run background checks for their cashier/ stocker positions. They barely pay over minimum wage, but it's a job.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: March 10, 2015 12:35AM

I think all those criminal posts are by one eesh, wondering what he’s going to do when he gets out of jail.

Posted by: One eesh? ()
Date: March 10, 2015 12:38AM

causeican Wrote:
> I think all those criminal posts are by one eesh,
> wondering what he’s going to do when he gets out
> of jail.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 10, 2015 03:12AM

causeican Wrote:
> I think all those criminal posts are by one eesh,
> wondering what he’s going to do when he gets out
> of jail.

Yes, I post from a supermax prison. I have a job lined up at FCPS when I get released in 2038.

Posted by: JS ()
Date: May 19, 2015 01:39PM

<------ How were you able to get your felony expunged? Did it happen in Northern VA? Would you share your lawyer??

Posted by: adb ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:07PM

Posted by: Angel Girl ()
Date: May 19, 2015 05:18PM

Yes, there are people that will hire you. No worries, just go to this website.

https://exoffenders.net/employment-jobs-for-felons/

Posted by: RebJan ()
Date: July 30, 2015 06:01PM

Posted by: RebJan ()
Date: July 30, 2015 08:59PM

LMcHW Wrote:
> I agree I have a federal felony for making PA
> drivers license and payroll checks 14yrs ago and
> still couldn’t get a job so I sold drugs,
> stopped, and started my own business which is now
> thriving, we did $170,000 in sales last year but
> hey the law makers sometimes force our hand. I
> agree this society is something else. I live in
> Pittsburgh and all I hire is felons ! they are the
> best employees I’ve ever had !!!!

I live in Pittsburgh and am in desperate need of a job after looking for what seems to be forever! I have various work experience and two college degree and cannot get hired anywhere. I would love to know what company you run!!!!

Posted by: CFmHj ()
Date: August 01, 2015 11:19PM

NO they won't unless paid to or told to idiot.

your a legal liability

your not their problem: they loose nothing pretending you don't exist

Posted by: Scotty McKingsly ()
Date: November 19, 2015 02:16PM

I am currently a server/line cook at Red Robin. I was hired before my misdemeanor so my GM knows about it and I continue to excel in the company. So much so that I am going through the process of becoming a mid-manager. This is the lowest level of management but I'm still doing a background check. My GM absolutely loves me and relies on me everyday. Will it be his decision to keep me as manager or the company's? And would I even be allowed to manage? And is it possible that I'll be terminated if my background check comes back bad?

Posted by: Din do nuffin ()
Date: November 19, 2015 02:50PM

I recommend applying with the NFL. They apparently have a near zero screening process. As wife beaters, drug addicts, and violent drunks have little problem getting employment there.

Posted by: selcjmfhjkerhger ()
Date: November 19, 2015 03:08PM

Sadly, I read pretty much every fucking in this thread. Here's what I came away with:

1. There are lots of criminals/ex-criminals on this website

2. You all seem to think that it's not fair that you can't get hired, when you have been told your whole life to study, stay in school, and don't break the law

3. Not one of you actually THANKED the people who took time out of their day and posted companies/links to help you find a job that hires criminals

With these facts posted, do you really think you actually deserve help from others?

Posted by: try Boosterthon ()
Date: November 19, 2015 03:40PM

If you don't mind exploiting kids, they might hire you, or you could run the soccer mom focus groups they have in Atlanta.

Posted by: alex zamora ()
Date: December 09, 2015 08:54PM

How is it that you got your record expunged!!

Posted by: PSA #357325643225 ()
Date: December 10, 2015 12:04AM

For all you kids out there reading, this thread is exactly the reason you don't run afoul of the law because if you do it's nothing but a life of minimum wage dog grooming or fry cooking.

Posted by: Move to California ()
Date: December 10, 2015 09:58AM

In California you can get a restricted real estate license even if you have multiple felonies.

Just ask Christina Troll, former (?) girlfriend of former (?) debt collector, Ryon Gambill. Oh yes, most collection agencies go out of their way to hire criminals!
Attachments:
troll_02.pdf

Posted by: backgroundcheckcompaniesgetrich ()
Date: August 16, 2016 02:21PM

Now, this commenter knows how the system works. People have to be very creative to gain the ability to support themselves in this bigoted world. There are legal ways to earn a living even if you have been caught and convicted at far less than our government servants, Get Smart, Keep working to trip them up . Don't let them keep you from having transportation or a place to lay your possessions.

Posted by: backgroundcheckcompaniesgetrich ()
Date: August 16, 2016 02:33PM

Do you bring your car to a complete hault everytime you come to a stopsign even at midnight when absolutely no one else is on the road? Do you go under a yellow light? Have you ever overdrawn your checking account? Do you talk on your cell phone in a school zone? Are you one of those obnoxiously perfect people that speed in a school zone? How about jaywalking? Have you bothered to keep informed at the record number of ridiculous laws that you are supposed to keep up with? It sounds as those you are intolerant of someone unlike your self, do you not know that that is also against the law? Perhaps civil rights people need to get on the band wagon to support Americans that are trapped in this parameter of discretion and give all a fair chance as the other groups have been given. Isn't that what an American with a criminal record is, a group of unfairly treated Americans? Do not kid yourself into thinking you do not breaks this societies laws, you just either buy your way out of it as many many do or you haven't been caught yet. I personally know many lawyers and judges and doctors too that are criminals in their gang that don't get held accountable for their actions. Their dollars talk don' they

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: August 17, 2016 04:42PM

The biggest problem with a felony conviction isn't the the person doing the interview. It's a bonding and insurance issue. Most all companies need both to do business. My insurance company, like most, will not want me hiring someone with an assault conviction since we deal with the public. My bonding company would also likely pull my bond if I hired a felon as well. So for most companies, it's a non starter as I cant do business without these things. If you want advice, you have two ways to deal with this as I see it. First, hire a qualified lawyer who specializes in this with a PROVEN track record, and get it expunged. It's a difficult and expensive process, but if what you say is accurate, family issues are more likely to be looked on sympathetically. Or two, focus on the jobs that doesn't factor in felony cconvictions for employment. There are many. You will be limited for the second choice. You could also try to start your own business, but unless you have a partner, the insurance and bonding issue will surely arise at some point. Good luck.

Posted by: groverbonds ()
Date: August 17, 2016 05:02PM

The DNC would love to have you!!!

Posted by: idiots abound ()
Date: August 17, 2016 08:04PM

Good place to start. One place to work that if you have a felony, they don't care. If you want one, they can help you get there too. And if Hillary gets elected, she can put in a good word for you with Loretta Lynch. I hear from Bill she has some influence in that area.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.