HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Will I not be able to get a job after bankruptcy?
Posted by: bankruptcy question ()
Date: July 10, 2014 09:38AM

I filed for bankruptcy last year, and just recently found out that my company has been bought out, and found out that nearly everyone, including me, is not going to be retained. How much more difficult will the job hunt process be with a bankruptcy on my credit report? Are there any tips for working around this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will I not be able to get a job after bankruptcy?
Posted by: Helpful Answer ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:21AM

There presently a split of authority in the Circuit Courts (appeals courts) around the nation. The issue is whether a future employer can discriminate against you for filing a bankruptcy. Some circuits say yes, and some say no. It is illegal for a present employer to discriminate against you for filing bankruptcy. This issue is likely to go to the Supreme Court and who knows what they will do.

The section of the bankruptcy code that applies here was written at different times so some courts think the meaning or law is different. From my experience however, most employers care more about bad debt and doing nothing versus a potentially qualified applicant that filed bankruptcy. If they do not hire you they likely will not give you any actionable reason for not choosing you so it is hard to prove that it was for filing bankruptcy or some other actionable reason.

Posted by: Amicus brief ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:28AM

It is unquestionably within an employer's rights to refuse to hire you on the basis of your having lied on an application, so don't try to go that route. Most bankruptcies result from illness, job loss, or unfavorable dissolution of a marriage. These are basically no-fault grounds and most employers understand that.

Posted by: That Guy ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:51AM

If you go into a job requiring a security clearance (like working for a Government Contractor) than the Employer can refuse to hire you because chances are you will not be able to get a security clearance. In addition, many employers do background checks before finalizing a job offer. Depending on the nature of the bankruptcy, they can decide not to hire you because of a bankruptcy. Lots of retail stores will not hire someone with a bankruptcy in their background because their bonding company (company that insurers employer against employee theft) requires the retail employer to hire people who have good credit because that lessens the likelihood of employee theft or embezzlement.

But there are some companies that will hire anyone! So good luck!

Posted by: nvYVb ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:03AM

bankruptcy question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I filed for bankruptcy last year, and just
> recently found out that my company has been bought
> out, and found out that nearly everyone, including
> me, is not going to be retained. How much more
> difficult will the job hunt process be with a
> bankruptcy on my credit report? Are there any tips
> for working around this?

if you think management is "holding out on you". form a union and sue the company using union laws.

i guess your claim is the company wants a big payout for management or certain investors and has a total lack of care for the employees

is it a privately owned company ?

if it's a public company one might further claim that certain golden parachute people are using privelage of management to sell to a foreign country what they never owned, which is irresponsible

it's very frequent these days that the peope managing really don't own - thus have no right to any "super powers" as to taking gold out or selling to a foreign country (cp, deals that cannot be traced)

Posted by: bankruptcy question ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:05AM

nvYVb Wrote:
> bankruptcy question Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I filed for bankruptcy last year, and just
> > recently found out that my company has been
> bought
> > out, and found out that nearly everyone,
> including
> > me, is not going to be retained. How much more
> > difficult will the job hunt process be with a
> > bankruptcy on my credit report? Are there any
> tips
> > for working around this?
>
> if you think management is "holding out on you".
> form a union and sue the company using union
> laws.
>
> i guess your claim is the company wants a big
> payout for management or certain investors and has
> a total lack of care for the employees
>
> is it a privately owned company ?
>
> if it's a public company one might further claim
> that certain golden parachute people are using
> privelage of management to sell to a foreign
> country what they never owned, which is
> irresponsible
>
> it's very frequent these days that the peope
> managing really don't own - thus have no right to
> any "super powers" as to taking gold out or
> selling to a foreign country (cp, deals that
> cannot be traced)

My company was bought out by another private company and is laying people off as part of the acquisition. I really have no legal recourse in retaining my job. My question revolves around getting a new job given by bankruptcy.

Posted by: U47P6 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:50AM

virginia has historically favored employers and landlords in court

they can "get away with" firing you for the color of your hair. or your boobs are not big enough, or your attitude (even if it is their attitude that is a problem)

i have been threated to be fired many a time for disability and feel they would have gotten away with it, because fx co courts is infamous for laughing at the poor's complaints

in VA "right to work" unions cannot keep scabs out of the workplace (good or bad you decide)

other states have better rights for employees, and VA will say during the 1980's VA had ZERO joblessness and no pro-union laws

ZERO JOBLESSNESS - actually in the NEGAGIVE PERCENTAGES in the 1980's in fx. compare that to now.

that's a pretty damn good record. if i couldn't shake a stick at the available jobs (that were actually hiring strangers, todays are not) then i wouldn't care about a company laying me off

-------------------------
what they can't do is use false information to make an employment choice (a phony credit report, ie Lexus Nexus got caught in that arena)

Posted by: huXjh ()
Date: July 10, 2014 11:52AM

back to your question if you pay a lawyer allot your a sucker

if suceede in some suit i can only assume your a criminal and start following the money

Posted by: cdxDY ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:01PM

really how would you expect to work ni a workplace where the the boss hates you for suiing in the get go ?

it's more likely a string of lawsuits would prevent employement than bankruptcy. a company would fear that certainly. i would and unfortunately that's me.

----------------
why not just find a potential employer who really doesn't care ? has been throught same thing ?

Posted by: helpedmeout ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:06PM

I got the job I have now- just in the past year-BECAUSE I had filed for BK.

My current employer (a national company) liked the fact I knew the law was on my side and knew (in his words) "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em" since my lack of bill paying was due to me being laid off suddenly.

Matter of fact, 6 months out I had 2 major credit cards with 2 major banks (think "whats in your wallet" as one LOL) and major bank offers for preapproved 30k car loans and a credit score back in the 600's where it belongs.

So don't let the morality of it scare you. The banks want you to be scared to file but it is your LEGAL RIGHT. Donald Trump did it how many times???

Oh and since I was low income and was willing to read- I just picked up the Nolo book on chapter 7 from the bookstore, studied along with the forms, then filed pro se with only the $300 filing fee so it can be done without a lawyer- if not I recommend Mr. Weed! :)

Posted by: bumper zzz ()
Date: July 10, 2014 08:07PM

bump

Posted by: Exaggerated Truths ()
Date: July 10, 2014 08:54PM

I'll make it easy for you. Do not apply at a bank or any cleared positions. Chipotle or Jimmy Johns subs are sure bets.

Posted by: 3cjXW ()
Date: July 11, 2014 03:43PM

Helpful Answer Wrote:
> There presently a split of authority in the
> Circuit Courts (appeals courts) around the nation.
> The issue is whether a future employer can
> discriminate against you for filing a bankruptcy.

total bullshit.

how will our federal god know the employer has done this.

how will it be enforced. when did VA sign up for this law?

and most: since when did fx. co. come to the aid of the poor

the mother fuckers only help themselves

Posted by: Uchdt ()
Date: July 11, 2014 03:45PM

VA is a commonwealth law state

so if a right was afforded in a prev case you can ask it be applied to you

----------------
trust nothing that isn't in a lawbook , and don't think fx co will not ignore anything they please: in the lawbook

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.