HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Smartphone use in overseas ?
Posted by: Ring Tone ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:28PM

Taking a month-long trip to Europe, will be in several countries, looking to use my smartphone to some degree. Input on experiences and cost of using plans offered by home based services,in my case Verizon, vs. getting a sim card and using a Euro based service. Verizon appears to offer a couple of pretty bare bones plans, without much data usage allowed, and a $10 dollar a day plan for those who want unlimited text & talk, like home. Anyone ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smartphone use in overseas ?
Posted by: LXmcH ()
Date: May 24, 2016 04:49PM

Get a cheap limited use plan for emergencies only. Stay off of your damned phone and enjoy the sites, you faggot.

Posted by: ring tone ()
Date: May 24, 2016 08:57PM

Thanks, I knew I could count on at least one intelligent answer. Btw...it's "sights" I don't remember saying I would be sightseeing, but now that I have been advised to do so, I will take time to admire as many the sites as possible, and forget about my work obligations, Homo.

Posted by: trust me ()
Date: May 24, 2016 11:51PM

just sign up for tmobile and pay $50 for one months service with free international roaming.
or use sprint's 30 day risk free trial and go that route.

Posted by: FoolSmacker ()
Date: May 27, 2016 03:53PM

I'd go with one of the bare bones plans, and keep an eye on your data usage. As long as you're in places with WiFi most of the time (if this is work related, I'm guessing you will be), you should be okay. I did 2 weeks in Italy on AT&T's low-end plan without a problem.

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Posted by: Who Cares ()
Date: May 29, 2016 12:18AM

If you have a phone on Verizon or Sprint you are Shit out of Luck. They use CDMA based phones that are USA networks and will only work in areas/countries where LTE had been deployed. Check the coverage before you sign up for any international coverage. AT&T and T-Mobile networks are GSM based and their phones are compatible worldwide.

I met this stupid woman who was going to Afghanistan as a civilian for a year. She took her IPhone 6S that she just bought from Verizon. She got there and, guess what, I didn't work anywhere in the country.

In most Third World countries you can go into any convenience store and buy a burner SIM with prepaid time on it. Pop it in your phone you have a local number with no traceable call record.

I was in Vietnam a few years back and went straight to a phone shop when I got off the plane. Bought a $20 SIM for my iPhone and talked to the local girl friends all week. On the way home popped in the US SIM and no one was the wiser.

Posted by: xEhVn ()
Date: May 29, 2016 03:32PM

LXmcH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get a cheap limited use plan for emergencies only.
> Stay off of your damned phone and enjoy the sites,
> you faggot.

BULLSHIT. T-Mobile offers the same deals in the USA - you get all the service you need for $10 ... if your just several business (non chatty) calls a month.

Posted by: Peter Joseph ()
Date: July 12, 2020 04:09PM

I think many depends on where exactly do you go. In some counties you can get cheap limited plan, and this will be enough. If you want to get a lot of Mb internet, calls, you will pay more. Usually it is quite expensive, especially in Europe. Also don't forget to buy power bank 20000mah because in trips there can be problems with charging.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.