HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
OPEN TODAY! Crossings at Lake Braddock (those 2 new houses built on the corner of Burke Lake Rd and Burke Rd)
Posted by: wkhyg ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:02AM

http://realestate.washingtonpost.com/eng/sales/detail/299-l-14671-fx8390586

Holy crap! A million dollars?!!! I knew it'd be expensive when it finally went on the market but I figured 850k or so. Someone's going to pay a million dollars for a monstrous house jammed in with 4 others on a tiny lot next to a bridge off a road that gets so much traffic during rush hour that they're going to have a hell of a time getting into and out of their street?

Wow.

If I could afford a million dollars that would not be the home I would be buying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OPEN TODAY! Crossings at Lake Braddock (those 2 new houses built on the corner of Burke Lake Rd and Burke Rd)
Posted by: you can afford this ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:11AM

It says the taxes are 2,271. How can that be? They should be at least 11K based on that price.

Also, with 6 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms, this is a multi family house. In that context, you could get two or three families living in there and there is room for a lot of cars on the lot.

Re: OPEN TODAY! Crossings at Lake Braddock (those 2 new houses built on the corner of Burke Lake Rd and Burke Rd)
Posted by: NIMBY ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:18AM

Hey !!!!!!!!!
WTF, is this board going to turn into advertising for trolls.
GTFO

Posted by: taxes ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:23AM

you can afford this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It says the taxes are 2,271. How can that be?
> They should be at least 11K based on that price.
>
> Also, with 6 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms, this is a
> multi family house. In that context, you could
> get two or three families living in there and
> there is room for a lot of cars on the lot.

Because the assessed value according to the county tax site is $296k (for the entire lot, not just that one parcel). I'm guessing once the houses are re-assessed those tax rates will skyrocket.

Posted by: ytjjx ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:26AM

NIMBY Wrote:
> Hey !!!!!!!!!
> WTF, is this board going to turn into advertising
> for trolls.
> GTFO

Eh...it's been a topic of discussion on this board since the property was first starting to be developed.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/590464/1540333.html#msg-1540333

So this post could just be considered a follow up for those who are interested.

Posted by: how it works ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:27AM

Basement can easily be an apartment rental. Upstairs has possibility for three couples (easily) since three bathrooms are off bedrooms.

Posted by: Real Estate ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:36AM

Asian bait.

Posted by: Mickey ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:37AM

how it works Wrote:
> Basement can easily be an apartment rental.
> Upstairs has possibility for three couples
> (easily) since three bathrooms are off bedrooms.

So bring on the Salvadorans and their four families in the same house, 20+ children, and 8+ autos. Glad I don't live near there.

Posted by: Capt Obvious ()
Date: July 05, 2014 11:26AM

I think everyone is overlooking the most POSITIVE aspect of this home... You have AMTRAK & VRE trains that practically run RIGHT through the back yard of your new million dollar home! Who could want more? Chugga Chugga Chugga TooT tOOt!!

Posted by: SIP ()
Date: July 05, 2014 04:22PM

I drove by there for the first time in at least 4 years and was stunned to see two houses there...hard to believe that 3 more will be shoe-horned into that space. When I lived in Lake Braddock from 1990-95 I remember that being the place where everyone dumped stuff like yard debris and always assumed that the Lake Braddock HOA owned the land. If so, they must have a made out well when the property was sold.

Posted by: Timely post ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:23PM

I drove by that area today for the first time in about a year. I still cannot fathom why anyone would buy a home at that location. Horrible.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:46PM

That is not LBCA property, the other side of the creek is, closer to what used to be Burke Rd when it crossed the tracks. I thought that was all Flood Plain, I guess if the county needs money anything can change. But the Mulch site was closed for that Purpose, A contractor was Dredging the lake off Guinea Rd and started Dumping the dirt on the LBCA site.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: July 05, 2014 10:55PM

That Property used to belong to Bill Gregg, A Fairfax Firefighter who died of cancer he contracted in the Tyson's Mall Fire in the 70's or early 80's, he owned Westcott Nursery and the House/Office sat at the intersection, not sure what he ever got out of the Realignment of Burke Lake and Burke road which took most of the property. Doug Adams I think Judge from the 70's owned the rest of the property from LB Drive to the Now Intersection and was hip deep in Jack Herrity which made all that possible.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: July 06, 2014 01:50AM

Timely post Wrote:
> I drove by that area today for the first time in
> about a year. I still cannot fathom why anyone
> would buy a home at that location. Horrible.

Yeah, and on a related note, I don't really understand why homes that back up to major roads or have other location issues don't sell for substantially less than others in their neighborhood.

I mean, let's say there's 50-100 homes together of the same approximate age/size (and obviously go to the same schools), yet 10 of them back up to loud, busy road and/or other eyesore while the rest have no issues in that regard. It seems like they might take a slight hit in price, like, 3-5% at most, whereas you'd have to discount it much more steeply to even begin to interest me.

Who are all these people willing to take the bad spots in neighborhoods and pay about the same rate as the other, better situated lots?

Posted by: wazhpn ()
Date: July 06, 2014 04:43AM

snowdenscold Wrote:
> Timely post Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I drove by that area today for the first time
> in
> > about a year. I still cannot fathom why anyone
> > would buy a home at that location. Horrible.
>
>
> Yeah, and on a related note, I don't really
> understand why homes that back up to major roads
> or have other location issues don't sell for
> substantially less than others in their
> neighborhood.
>
> I mean, let's say there's 50-100 homes together of
> the same approximate age/size (and obviously go to
> the same schools), yet 10 of them back up to loud,
> busy road and/or other eyesore while the rest have
> no issues in that regard. It seems like they might
> take a slight hit in price, like, 3-5% at most,
> whereas you'd have to discount it much more
> steeply to even begin to interest me.
>
> Who are all these people willing to take the bad
> spots in neighborhoods and pay about the same rate
> as the other, better situated lots?

a couple of things: The home just built on the corner of someone’s corner lot, is NEW not 30+; and second, today’s “yuppies” don’t care about lot size as long as the lot is hardscaped (no lawn care). Seriously.

Posted by: tgb ()
Date: July 06, 2014 11:26AM

It reminds me of this house on Old Keene Mill. I think it has been on the market for a year or so and they keep dropping the price.

http://franklymls.com/FX8318501

Posted by: gross house ()
Date: July 06, 2014 01:57PM

^Why in the world would someone spend that kind of money on a house in a weird location?

Plus the layout of the kitchen sucks (why didn't they put the stove on the island?). Everything is on the cheap (no real stone in the bathroom at that price point?). No crown molding? Lots of wasted space in there---the foyer and the master bathroom are way too big. The second bathroom they show is nothing to write home about---the toilet in front of the tub? Gross. After you move in, you will have to have money left to redecorate. And why didn't they put hardwood on the floors throughout? Cheap carpeting upstairs---really??? In that location you have to wow someone. That is not a wow house. It's just an oversized house in a weird location. Price is still too high.

Posted by: tgb ()
Date: July 06, 2014 02:55PM

gross house Wrote:
> ^Why in the world would someone spend that kind of
> money on a house in a weird location?
>
> Plus the layout of the kitchen sucks (why didn't
> they put the stove on the island?). Everything
> is on the cheap (no real stone in the bathroom at
> that price point?). No crown molding? Lots of
> wasted space in there---the foyer and the master
> bathroom are way too big. The second bathroom
> they show is nothing to write home about---the
> toilet in front of the tub? Gross. After you
> move in, you will have to have money left to
> redecorate. And why didn't they put hardwood on
> the floors throughout? Cheap carpeting
> upstairs---really??? In that location you have to
> wow someone. That is not a wow house. It's just
> an oversized house in a weird location. Price is
> still too high.

The location is odd. It backs to townhomes and you can only turn right out of the driveway. $900k can buy something a lot nicer in a more peaceful area.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: July 06, 2014 03:31PM

But it has central air conditioning. The Mrs and I may take a tour of the place.

Posted by: Maureen Simpson ()
Date: February 20, 2015 02:34PM

I understand change is upsetting to many of our neighbors. The glowing comments and warm sentiments we have received, and the wonderful people we have met are awsome. We hope you enjoy the beauty of these new homes and the charming community that evolves with a quality design and quality built homes. The Crossings at Lake Braddock has an urban feel, part of, not apart from the hum of everyday life. It is about being well connected, not just to the neighorhood including schools, libraries, shopping, dining, lake, walking and bike trails but also to the greater area due to the close proximity of 495, 395,286 and the VRE. We hope you will have an opportunity to visit the model home and meet me in person. I also welcome the opportunity to assist you with the purchase of a home that is just right for you. So please stop in soon as we our open Thursday - Monday from 12-6 at 5692 Tunwell Ct.

Posted by: MCSimpson ()
Date: March 15, 2017 04:30PM

Burke, a well established neighborhood with most of the homes built in the 70's and 80's, is enjoying a new era of home building. Most of the new homes on a comparably size lot and with similar amenities are about $1.0+. These new homes are welcomed by your neighbors looking to remain and purchase a new home and others looking for the same great mix of amenities close-in. The Crossings at Lake Braddock is inspired by the homes in Old Burke Village. These are city homes, in a park-like setting, timeless with character and attention to detail. The home-sites in this beautiful community range from 15,000-30,000+ Sq. Ft. (1/3-3/4 Acre) and is bounded by a heavily wooded stream valley. While close in, it is a short walk to parks, trails (Liberty Bell), The Lake (Braddock), schools (top-rated Lake Braddock), Kings Park Library, stores and restaurants along with nearby access to commuter facilities (ie bus,train and express lanes). We've not had any issue with entering or leaving the community whether it's to turn left to Fairfax or right to Burke Lake Rd. and the Beltway at any time of day. While things liven up when the students are dismissed and you're traveling home, it's quiet during rush hour. Yes, the volume of traffic is greater, however, it moves slowly, quietly and smoothly.

Posted by: XPchE ()
Date: March 15, 2017 05:34PM

Too big, too expensive, too crammed in, too close to train tracks. What park-like setting? All the trees were chopped down! The time is over for houses like these.

Date: March 15, 2017 05:34PM

Posted by: Capt Obvious ()
Date: July 05, 2014 11:26AM

I think everyone is overlooking the most POSITIVE aspect of this home... You have AMTRAK & VRE trains that practically run RIGHT through the back yard of your new million dollar home! Who could want more? Chugga Chugga Chugga TooT tOOt!!

Burke was built around the rail line and station as were many American towns, so if your are reading this you may want to visit Old Burke Village or the museum at Fairfax Station. Prior to the close of Burke Lake Road's at-grade crossing the beautiful house, currently sited on the East side of Old Burke Lake Rd. was moved to this location from the other side of the rail line and restored by 2 brothers. From another perspective, this is the same line Manassas City has built a vibrant downtown around, travels through the Town of Clifton, past Fairfax Station and is surrounded by condos and hotels in Alexandria before traveling on to L'Enfant and DC's Union Station. The homes on Tunwell enjoy a 200'+ side yard set back which is privately owned open space bounded by fencing and the stream valley. Most everyone likes to hear the engineer blow the horn but now it's only used at grade crossings, at nearby VRE stations or as a warning to wildlife. If you should hear it though you may find yourself reminiscing about another era, when times were simpler and the pace slower. Please use the following link for more information: www.vre.org/.

Cumulatively, Mon-Fri the line may be used 15 minutes out of a 24 hour period, on Sat/Sun this may be 5-7 minutes. (VRE does not run on weekends)

Date: March 15, 2017 06:43PM

Too big, too expensive, too crammed in, too close to train tracks. What park-like setting? All the trees were chopped down! The time is over for houses like these........

Thankfully, there were very few trees on the property where the houses are to be built as it had been a nursery site, used for growing trees and shrubs. We had to remove some dead and dangerous trees while leaving 1 1/2 acres undisturbed, and trim those interfering with use of the adjacent sidewalks. We eliminated the vines smothering the trees along Burke Lake Rd. to allow the tree canopies to leaf out.

Most of the area development came about in a short period of time from the 60's to the 80's. Prior to this development Burke Lake Rd. was shaded over with a canopy of trees from Rolling Road down into the stream valley (where the post office and fire station are). We used to have 4 nurseries, several horse farms, (Burke Centre Library may be the site of the last area horse farm) as well as a produce market. Greenfield, now town homes was a dairy and Lake Braddock, just a field, a cow pasture.

The make-up of families is changing, parents are living with grown children and their family, grown children are living with parents. It used to be we left home and went to work but this too is changing. Now, we are working from home and need a home office or two. Houses have to be flexible than ever. Our concept focuses on good design and quality, without just building another big house. It is our hope this community will be as long-lived and desirable as are the homes in the village of Burke and complement the larger Burke community.

Posted by: RealityCheck4MCSimpsonkeeTy ()
Date: March 15, 2017 09:53PM

Cook up whatever lovely rationalizations and sales gibberish you like, but this fact remains: those gauche, craptastic mcmansions are on a terrible intersection and being lower than the street surface of Burke Lake Road means it is only a matter of time before a speeding car loses control and launches itself into the second floor or attic of the first house. Hopefully no children of the driving or home-buying adults with seriously questionable judgement will be harmed.

Posted by: Artistic ()
Date: July 18, 2017 05:47PM

I go by there a lot and I see they have a sign up that two houses are left. I actually drove in there to see where in the heck they could wedge in two more of those monsters. They would back up to the tracks and be really close to the high voltage overhead lines. There really is not room for two more. The sign out front on the road says they are 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots. Are you serious? I have a nice size yard that is less the. That and two of those houses and yards could fit in my less then 1/2 acre back yard.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: October 15, 2017 11:57PM

What a horrible location for homes.

What used to be on that property?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.