HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why Fairfax County Teachers Can't Use Zoom
Posted by: Richest County In the USA ()
Date: March 31, 2020 09:52PM

Ever wonder why Fairfax County can't use the inexpensive tools popular in most other school districts and companies large and small in the US? Here is an explanation from one principal:

Many of the tools being used for distance learning around the country are not secure. For example, Zoom is not approved for use in FCPS because it saves user information and shares it with third party companies. Our student data, logins and identities would not be secure; in recent days, hackers have overrun these platforms.

Diane Leipzig, Dr. L
Principal
Canterbury Woods Elementary School

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Fairfax County Teachers Can't Use Zoom
Posted by: Dumfrieskid ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:01PM

As a teacher I can tell you that administrators are not knowledgeable at all concerning these issues. As an example; this principal believes Google Hangouts (FCPS approved) is more secure than Zoom because Google does not share with 3rd party members. We all know Google does.

Posted by: School Of Deep Thought ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:06PM

Vision Statement:

We are a school community where all students matter.

WT Woodson HS

Posted by: Visionary ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:07PM

That's quite a 21st century vision.

Measurable.

Achievable.

yada yada.

Posted by: The Rules ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:12PM

Students may use the Google Suite for everything, no restrictions.

But don't get caught browsing to Wikipedia.

Posted by: I'll just leave this right here ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:13PM

Posted by: Technophobe Alert ()
Date: March 31, 2020 10:20PM

Fake Lawsuit. Fake News.

Only technophobes believe this shit.

No personal data shared.

The suit draws on a report from Motherboard's Joseph Cox published last week, which found the iOS version of Zoom's app sends analytics to Facebook even for users who don't have a Facebook account. As Cox notes, this is not entirely uncommon for apps that offer an option to log in with Facebook, but the issue is that Zoom did not explicitly state in its privacy policy that it would send data to Facebook.

Zoom later removed code from its iOS app to stop it sending data to Facebook.

The firm told Motherboard at the time: "Zoom takes its users' privacy extremely seriously. We originally implemented the 'Login with Facebook' feature using the Facebook SDK in order to provide our users with another convenient way to access our platform. However, we were recently made aware that the Facebook SDK was collecting unnecessary device data."

Posted by: Stop using Zoom ()
Date: April 03, 2020 04:18PM

Zoom’s Encryption Is “Not Suited for Secrets” and Has Surprising Links to China, Researchers Discover

Meetings on Zoom, the increasingly popular video conferencing service, are encrypted using an algorithm with serious, well-known weaknesses, and sometimes using keys issued by servers in China, even when meeting participants are all in North America, according to researchers at the University of Toronto.

The researchers also found that Zoom protects video and audio content using a home-grown encryption scheme, that there is a vulnerability in Zoom’s “waiting room” feature, and that Zoom appears to have at least 700 employees in China spread across three subsidiaries. They conclude, in a report for the university’s Citizen Lab — widely followed in information security circles — that Zoom’s service is “not suited for secrets” and that it may be legally obligated to disclose encryption keys to Chinese authorities and “responsive to pressure” from them.

Zoom could not be reached for comment.

More:

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/03/zooms-encryption-is-not-suited-for-secrets-and-has-surprising-links-to-china-researchers-discover/

Posted by: Whiny Complainer ()
Date: April 04, 2020 11:37PM

I whine about Fairfax not using the cheap tools and then when it is revealed they were right, don't say sorry.
Why? Because I like to whine that some gimmick is so wonderful that it far exceeds anything Fairfax folks could use.
Oh, and that recording of my private therapy session that was posted on line because Zoom did not bother with letting me know that anyone could decipher the link to it? It's nothing compared to the full disclosure of my student's private information.
Will I ever tell Dr. L sorry, I should have trusted you?
No, I'll just keep whining.

Oh, and @Technophobe ... that is the same security breach that other companies had with data sharing right? And we found out later it was just a little data, right? And it was just anonymized data, right?
So, Facebook should get my data even if I don't have an account?
Tell you what... I'll just use the aggregated data from your router. Can't figure out anything from that, right?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.