HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why is Frank Wolf bitching about the Greenway?
Posted by: Cool quay ()
Date: July 01, 2014 01:59PM

He got what he wanted, so he needs to STFU. This guy, who I love, sent me an email about some open house about the toll road. Look, I don't mind paying the rates, because the road is always kept clean and it's better than having VDOT mismanage it.

But seriously, Frank sounds like a hypocrite right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is Frank Wolf bitching about the Greenway?
Posted by: Here it is ()
Date: July 01, 2014 02:05PM

Cool quay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He got what he wanted, so he needs to STFU. This
> guy, who I love, sent me an email about some open
> house about the toll road. Look, I don't mind
> paying the rates, because the road is always kept
> clean and it's better than having VDOT mismanage
> it.
>
> But seriously, Frank sounds like a hypocrite right
> now.

Ah, now I see what you're talking about. From Frank Wolf's website...

Greenway
http://wolf.house.gov/greenway

Fighting Greenway Toll Increase

I have long taken issue with the owners of the Dulles Greenway and the way they operate the road. I have criticized their outrageous tolls, their refusal to even study distance-based pricing and their refusal to work with me to make the road more user friendly.

Excessive Tolls

During rush hours, it now costs $4.90 to use the road, and if drivers are coming from or going onto the Dulles Toll Road the rate is $5.90. That means a daily round trip would be $11.80. Over the course of a month, a daily commuter could spend the equivalent of a car payment. If you live in one of the communities just off the Greenway, you could easily get on and off the road multiple times a day taking your children to soccer practice, day care, or to take your family out for dinner. In fact, it costs $4.90 to go approximately 1.1 miles during rush hour; the same cost to travel the entire road. To charge such high tolls to go such short distances significantly reduces the number of options for area residents. They must either change route to avoid the Greenway or change their plans altogether. Residents should not be forced into this decision to prevent the Greenway owners from losing money.

Distance Pricing

The owners of the Greenway have continually refused to do a distance pricing study. Public roads, such as the New Jersey Turnpike, and private roads such as the Indiana Toll Road, use distance-based pricing. I was disappointed last year when I read this article in the Ashburn Patch stating that TRIP II declined to even perform a distance pricing study. According to the article, TRIP II CEO Tom Sines said, “We didn’t do a full-blown study. There is a risk in that this would not increase revenue and the company would be out $6.5 million that I would have to explain to the bond holders. It’s just a gamble.” While new equipment to implement distance pricing might cost $6.5 million, a feasibility study most surely would cost much less. Yet, the Greenway owner steadfastly refuses to even do a study.

Dulles Greenway Advisory Committee

Based on the Greenway’s intransigence, I asked then-Virginia Transportation Secretary Sean Connaughton in July 2010 to establish a Dulles Greenway Advisory Committee, which was fully operational in 2011. My goal was to provide a way for Loudoun residents to sit face-to-face with local elected officials and Greenway officials to share their thoughts on the road and how the high tolls negatively impact their lives. While I appreciated VDOT’s willingness to set up the committee, I was disappointed that elected officials were not included and that the committee could not discuss distance-based pricing. The Greenway Advisory Committee met multiple times to discuss ways to make the road more user-friendly, with a focus on signs that inform drivers of toll rates before they enter the road. Signs are located on the west-bound Dulles Toll Road prior to the final exit as well as on north and sound-bound Route 772 in Loudoun County. Additional signs were installed on Route 607 and on Route 606 going both east and west-bound at the Greenway’s entrance on September 20, 2013.

Please be assured that I will continue to closely monitor this situation. For more information, please see the references and timeline below. In addition, please don’t hesitate to contact my office to share your questions or thoughts on this issue.

Click here for a timeline of important events surrounding Greenway tolls from 2006 to the present.
http://wolf.house.gov/greenway-continued

Timeline
•June 6, 2013– Rep. Wolf testifies at another SCC hearing in Loudoun asking the SCC to work with the General Assembly to find a solution to the Greenway’s tolls. (more)
•April 9, 2013– The SCC holds a public hearing in Loudoun County on the Greenway tolls, where Rep. Wolf submitted a statement urging the state to take control over the road. (more)
•July 18, 2012- Rep. Wolf writes Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli to have the consumer protection division of his office examine the toll structure on the Dulles Greenway. (more)
•May, 2012- Greenway Advisory Committee approves design and location of signs providing information on minimum and maximum tolls. Signs will be placed on west-bound route 267 (Dulles Toll Road) prior to Route 28 exits and on east and west-bound Route 772 in Loudoun County.
•December 9, 2011- Rep. Wolf writes the Virginia Secretary of Transportation outlining his concerns about the Greenway Advisory Committee as well as the safety concerns the high tolls on the Greenway cause. (more)
•July 28, 2010- Rep. Wolf writes the Virginia Secretary of Transportation with a series of recommendations to make the road more user friendly and urges a rollback of the toll increases. (more)
•January 13, 2009- Wolf writes to head of Macquarie, the parent company of the Greenway, criticizing the lavish holiday party that was thrown while tolls increased on the Greenway. (more)
•March 5, 2008- Rep. Wolf asks the General Assembly to freeze Greenway tolls and to address the flaws in the law governing the operation of the road. (more)
•December 12, 2007- Rep. Wolf asks the governor and the leaders of the Virginia General Assembly to hold hearings to examine the operation of the road and move to roll back the recently approved toll hikes planned over the next several years. Wolf also specifically asks that the General Assembly address the flaws in the original legislation governing the operation of the Greenway to protect the users of the road from excessive toll increases. (more)
•October 15, 2007- Rep. Wolf asks for a thorough review of the business practices of the foreign company that owns and operates the Greenway after press reports suggest the firm is "engaging in an old-fashioned ponzi scheme." (more)
•September 12, 2007- Rep. Wolf releases a statement on the SCC's decision to approve the toll increases, saying, "I am disappointed in today's decision by the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) to allow for increased tolls on the Dulles Greenway. The original state law which created the public private partnership to allow a private corporation to own and operate the Greenway is flawed because it fails to protect the consumer. The law instead protects the bottom line of the foreign-based Greenway owner. Today the SCC confirmed what I have stated all along by admitting that their hands were tied in making this decision." (full statement)
•September 11, 2007- The SCC approves the Greenway toll increases. (view report)
•August 3, 2007- Rep. Wolf writes the SCC sharing some of the e-mails he has received from moms, dads and others in the region about how the toll increases will impact them. (view letters)
•July 26, 2007- Rep. Wolf writes to the SCC seeking a delay in the approval of the toll increase until the General Assembly convenes again in 2008 and has an opportunity to review the public-private agreement governing the construction and operation of the Greenway. (more)
•June 28, 2007- The SCC hearing examiner releases a report on the toll increase application. The report includes his recommendations that the toll increases should be approved by the SCC.
•May 17, 2007- Rep. Wolf writes Governor Kaine's administration seeking a delay in the toll increase until the General Assembly can review the original agreement governing the construction and operation of the road. "This is disturbing," Wolf wrote. "No requirement that toll rates must be just and reasonable? And more important, affordable? This is unacceptable, and must be changed. How can the Commonwealth justify such a one-sided law that clearly benefits the Greenway owner while blatantly taking advantage of the users of the road? So Macquarie Group International, the Australian mega-bank which owns TRIP II, is free to charge outrageous tolls on anyone who travels the Greenway?" he continued. (more)
•January 30, 2007- The SCC holds public hearings at the Loudoun County Government Center in Leesburg to receive comments from public witnesses. Rep. Wolf testifies at the hearing, saying that "price gouging" comes to mind when he thinks of the toll increases. Fifty-nine witnesses testified with all but one voicing opposition to the increase. (more)
•November 2, 2006- The SCC schedules a public hearing on the toll increases for January 30, 2007.
•October 16, 2006- Rep. Wolf submits testimony to the Virginia General Assembly House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, chaired by Delegate Joe May of Loudoun, at a hearing held on the proposed Dulles Greenway Toll Increase. (full testimony)
•September 22, 2006- Rep. Wolf is joined by West Virginia Congresswoman Shelley Moore-Capito and Virginia State Delegates Joe May and David Poisson at a AAA press conference on the Greenway toll increases. At the press conference Rep. Wolf says, "From the beginning, this road was to be a public/private partnership. Today, there is no public in this partnership. This is a company bent on turning this road into a cash cow." (full statement)
•September 6, 2006- Rep. Wolf writes the SCC officially requesting that a hearing be held to receive public input on the toll increases. (more)
•September 5, 2006- Rep. Wolf writes the SCC opposing the proposed toll increase for the Dulles Greenway, arguing that the increase would make the Greenway one of the most expensive toll highways per mile of travel in the country. (more)
•July 19, 2006- Toll Road Investors Partnership II, L.P. (TRIP II) files an application with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) for an increase in the maximum authorized level of tolls for the Dulles Greenway.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 01, 2014 02:18PM

Cool quay Wrote:
> He got what he wanted, so he needs to STFU. This
> guy, who I love, sent me an email about some open
> house about the toll road. Look, I don't mind
> paying the rates, because the road is always kept
> clean and it's better than having VDOT mismanage
> it.
>
> But seriously, Frank sounds like a hypocrite right
> now.

He is correct. There should be distance pricing. Why should I pay the same to get off at Rt 606 as I would to go to Rt 15?

Posted by: Judy Feder ()
Date: July 11, 2014 01:46AM

You should have vote for me!!!!

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: July 11, 2014 10:20AM

He can not sue them because they are a person.

Posted by: smrtcrdrver ()
Date: July 11, 2014 04:37PM

This is $10.95 for one way trip on 495. So maybe you don't have it so bad. BUT THE BIGGER STORY IS WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE OVER THIS FROM ALL THE ELECTED OFFICLAS THAT WANTED THIS MESS?
Attachments:
495 express lanes toll.jpg

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:46PM

OP is so mad

Posted by: Tolls are a form of Taxation!!! ()
Date: July 11, 2014 10:44PM

I don't pay taxes because the founding fathers didn't. A real Libertarian would be against all forms of taxation, including tolls.

Posted by: Judy Feder (D) ()
Date: August 26, 2014 07:57PM

If I run for Congress again, I'll beat Franky this time...I know it

Posted by: Greenway News ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:45PM

The Dulles Greenway is a cheap form of transportation to get from Dulles to Leesburg

Posted by: ICanAffordGreatFalls ()
Date: December 20, 2014 12:31AM

What's..."The Greenway"?

Work harder and? You get to live closer.

Posted by: Fails at Life ()
Date: December 20, 2014 12:44AM

ICanAffordGreatFalls Wrote:
> What's..."The Greenway"?
>
> Work harder and? You get to live closer.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

Posted by: wTPJH ()
Date: December 20, 2014 01:12AM

Simple solution. The state claims imminent domain to build a highway from Dulles to Leesburg. V-dot removes the toll booths and people wont complain about it anymore.

Posted by: Spell Check ()
Date: December 20, 2014 01:17AM

Eminent Domain

Posted by: Sickofwhining ()
Date: December 20, 2014 07:55AM

Move closer, buy a smaller house. Why live on the moon when you work near DC? Plenty of cheaper housing close in...look at homes in North Springfield for example. You are paying too high a price in time and tolls to live in the middle of nowhere...never understood that. Understand if you hsve six or seven kids, but seriously, move to where the food is.

Posted by: Stop complaining ()
Date: December 20, 2014 08:13AM

You chose to live in Ashburn. Pay the toll and shut the fuck up. Or, you can move in closer to the city.

Fucking whiners...

Posted by: Samkinn ()
Date: December 20, 2014 08:16AM

MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD AND JOBS ARE!

Posted by: Frank's wife ()
Date: December 20, 2014 08:42PM

Stop complaining Wrote:
> You chose to live in Ashburn. Pay the toll and
> shut the fuck up. Or, you can move in closer to
> the city.
>
> Fucking whiners...

How dare you cuse at Frank!

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: December 20, 2014 10:08PM

Fails at Life Wrote:
> ICanAffordGreatFalls Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's..."The Greenway"?
> >
> > Work harder and? You get to live closer.
>
>
> Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

Work harder? No. Work smarter, maybe. You’re just a dumb ass STFU
Attachments:
dumb fuck.jpg

Posted by: Hippo the Critter ()
Date: January 03, 2015 02:54AM

HYPOCRITE

Posted by: Uggg, another dumb liberal ()
Date: January 03, 2015 07:04AM

Henro Wrote:
> He can not sue them because they are a person.

Huh? What? This is why liberals get no respect.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 03, 2015 09:38AM

I us the Greenway once in a while. Don't mind paying for it too.
like the
OP said, it is maintained very well. No half ass, accident prone, lane re-markings like the toll road.

Posted by: cosmo ()
Date: January 03, 2015 09:50AM

exffx Wrote:
> I us the Greenway once in a while. Don't mind
> paying for it too.
> like the
> OP said, it is maintained very well. No half ass,
> accident prone, lane re-markings like the toll
> road.

I agree. But distance-based pricing would make it much more attractive. When I lived in Reston and worked in the Brambleton area, it cost me nearly $5 to go two exits, the same toll I would pay to go all the way to 15. Therefore, I made the choice NOT to use the Greenway and went on other roads instead. It's really stupid - with EZPass technology, it would not be hard to put up a few new gantries to implement distance-based pricing. The new ICC in Maryland does it, the Beltway and 95 express lanes do it, the NJ Turnpike does it, and so on. It's fucking stupid that they won't even consider looking at it. I'd use it for short trips if it only cost a buck or two to go a couple of exits. Good luck, Frank Wolf...

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 03, 2015 12:32PM

OK. I can see that distance pricing would be attractive. I normally go all the way through (toll plaza to Leesburg), so I can see how it would bug people who get off or on somewhere in the middle and still have to go through the toll plaza.

I sometimes do get in the Greenway after the toll plaza (Ox rd) and that's a dollor or so cheaper.

Posted by: Did Frank retire??? ()
Date: January 31, 2015 12:37AM

Where is he?

Posted by: RUBIO/COMSTOCK 2016 ()
Date: January 31, 2015 07:45PM

Did Frank retire??? Wrote:
> Where is he?

He retired and Barbara Comstock replaced him

--------------------------------------------

Rubio/Comstock 2016

AMERICA'S REVIVAL IS AT STAKE!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.