HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Question about the Dulles Toll Road
Posted by: FFXU Historian ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:50AM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know did the Dulles Toll Road come before the Dulles Access Road or were they built at the same time. Also, does anybody have any pictures of the area before the toll road was built?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about the Dulles Toll Road
Posted by: 7wPPL ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:12AM

FFXU Historian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone, I just wanted to know did the Dulles
> Toll Road come before the Dulles Access Road or
> were they built at the same time. Also, does
> anybody have any pictures of the area before the
> toll road was built?

They were built at the same time I believe.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:20AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_267

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: nosayingenuff ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:25AM

Access Road was built after the Toll Road in response to public demand for a workaround of the toll gates.

Posted by: Truther ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:30AM

The Dulles Toll road was built latter. A number of high level politicians lived in Great Falls and Reston. They were using the airport road to come from DC by driving to the airport and turning around to come back to Reston or RT28.

The airport police got wise and started cracking down by watching cars that never stopped at the airport and left, the police then ticketing them.

The politicians they tried to set a bill that would allow the FAA to open the road to non-airport traffic. The FAA refused.

The politicians then began working on plans for the toll road. In the beginning nobody wanted to use the toll road and it was the first toll road near DC. People would drive around the toll road on back roads and RT7. Eventually people warmed up to the idea of a toll road and started using it.

Posted by: No, they weren't... ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:38AM

The Access Road was built concurrent with the airport in the 1960's, but it only went as far as 495. The Toll Road was built in 1984.

Posted by: Clarify ()
Date: June 23, 2014 12:48PM

Dulles Access road = Dulles Airport road

Dulles Toll road are the outside lanes.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.