HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Harris Teeter vs. Wegmans vs. Trader Joes vs. Whole Foods
Posted by: Yuppie Soccer Mom ()
Date: June 18, 2014 08:27PM

Which is he better store and why...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harris Teeter vs. Wegmans vs. Trader Joes vs. Whole Foods
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: June 18, 2014 08:47PM

Top to bottom:
Wegmans
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Harris Teeter

HT is a big step down from the other three. And way overpriced. Their sale prices are often higher than Wegmans' regular prices. OTOH, their BOGOs are often not bad--and if you buy one you get it half price.

Beats Giant, which recently had a deal on corkscrews: buy 2, get 1 free!
WHO TF NEEDS THREE CORKSCREWS? And if so, what are the odds they're buying them at Giant??

Posted by: Ya Rly ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:22PM

Wegmans is nice, but over crowded and out of the way. Not worth the trip when the same cut of beef or fish can be bought anywhere and you'd never know the difference.

Posted by: Good And Bad ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:42PM

Harris Teeter has some unusual things. They have good seafood and meat and veggies. I would not complain if one was near by to me.

Trader Joes has some good things cheap.. Most items are high, they are located in places with loads of people nearby so they are kind of like a 7-11 for convience.

Whole Foods is very high good veggies meat seafood but no better then Harris or Wegmans. They do have some special items and lots of organic items that the others may not have.

Wegmans has a lot of good things Veggies, Good seafood , meat, some things not bad in price plus the usual store stuff which can be as cheap as Food Lion when its on sale, theres only a couple of the and yes they are mobbed.

Now the Others

Food Lion: Good cheap hamburger, meats, chicken. Veggies, other goods. Good Place, Happy to have one near.

Giant, A shadow of what they were once. Still some stores have a good seafood dept. Giants meat is not so great. Prices are higher overall then Food Lion.

Safeway, Some are real old and so so. Safeway meats are better then Giant, but their prices are a bit higher. New Safeways have loads of things but are high. It seems like it takes forever to get checked out, Giant is getting that way too.

Shoppers Food, Good meats but poor seafood, the worst I have had. Cheap veggies lots of varities, good prices, no wonder it looks like the U.N. And No "bogus" Cards needed a big plus. Bakery items are very good too.

Asian Markets, Wide varity of good veggies and fruits, many odd veggies. A gormands dream for creating dishes from Asian lands.Many have food courts and they offerings are very much like the home countries good. decent prices on most other goods, Large seafood depts with some good seafood too. Decent prices on meats which for the most part are types and styles of cuts used in Asian cookin.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:49PM

Don't forget Aldi, where they just throw cases of food on the floor for your perusal.

Posted by: Good And Bad ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:56PM

For cheap off brand canned goods, milk butter, and pizzas, they have meats, some veggies, no prob having one close either. Aldies is a good cheapo place.

Bestway other Spanish markets also have some good meats, loads of veggies canned goods at a decent price.

And The Russian Gormet has some good things that are specialties also.

All in all the ethnic markets make for a wide great food experience in NOVA.
Thats hard to find in many other areas.

Posted by: Blue Light Special ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:01PM

Which one is best for picking up MILFs?

Posted by: Hey Asshole,,, ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:08PM

Blue Light Special Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which one is best for picking up MILFs?

Try the bowling alley.

Posted by: Blue Light Special ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:12PM

No. That's place is a sausage fest. More like the kind of place you'd look for love.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:15PM

Blue Light Special Wrote:
> Which one is best for picking up MILFs?

That would be Dean & DeLuca in Georgetown. All sorts of Range Rover and Mercedes G-Wagon driving housewives shop at that store.

Posted by: argh ()
Date: June 18, 2014 11:09PM

good grief, bring back Food Lion, they had the best bakery and the best prices for boxed and canned food, they sold hot fried chicken at dinner time and it was really good

BJ's has the best meat, especially steak

Wegmans is awesome but intolerable when crowded, and not worth the parking hassle, go to the local gas station mart if you need ice cubes, it was the only place that had a king cake during mardi gras

Harris Teeter, Whole Foods are good for organic but forget about buying regular food like kraft products

Trader Joes has good chips, snacks, chocolate coated nuts, wine, impossible to find a standard food platter to bring to work

Safeway has lost its niche, bakery and deli are borderline, food is expensive unless on sale, it does have a nice floral dept and a huge selection of gift cards

Giant is a good all around store, carries meat ravioli, good deli dept, can buy 90% of the groceries that a normal family needs, their fresh food displays inspire cooking ideas, cake frosting is normal grocery store gross sweetened Crisco product but it doesn't cost $50 for a 4" cake like at wegman's

Walmart has the best price for fresh corn, they have good string beans, russet potatoes and onions, the grapes are good, best price for spaghetti sauce in a jar and goldfish crackers, bakery is so-so, you can buy greeting cards, car oil and hula hoops in one place

Asian markets have the best fresh vegetables and dried fruit/nuts selections in normal quantities.

Posted by: Omni-shopper ()
Date: June 18, 2014 11:10PM

I think lots of places have something to offer. I go to SFW in Fairfax for the large selection of Reser's deli salads. Used to count on Magruder's for that, but. And the SFW hot-to-go chicken is very good also, not to mention the Glory original smoked sausages. Then there's the Fresh Market in Vienna -- my go-to place for upscale brie and my favorite Italian hard salami. Too bad if you downscale dirtbags can't afford it -- you know you wish you could. They also have nice fresh sushi (made to order while you watch), really good pork potstickers, and those yummy pillow cookies. Meanwhile the good old Giant in Oakton has all the every day basics and staples and I end up getting 30-40 cents off every gallon of gas at Shell. I don't find much use for Trader Joe's actually, or for MOM's in the Mosaic District, or for Whole Foods, though I do stop in there occasionally. I like Wegman's, but it's kind of far away and I HATE their parking lot. 7-11 has all those nice little salad and fruit packs for cheap and $5 foot-long subs that you can jazz up nicely at home. Have to get there early though, or the trades people will snap them all up. I don't really see the point of "customer loyalty" to any particular store. I just go where they have the stuff I want and like and then I buy it. It appears that there are a couple of Harris Teeters coming to the Vienna/Oakton area soon. I'll check those out once they open up. The one in Arlington seems nice, but I've only been there on the way to Nationals Food Drive games. Not enough for a true read.

Date: June 19, 2014 08:06PM

NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGARDLY NIGGA Wrote:
> Fucking BORING!

Fucking STUPID! So don't fucking READ!
<repeat 100x if you can count that high>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 08:07PM by Greybeard.

Posted by: one line Oman ()
Date: June 19, 2014 08:28PM

Giant has great bakery and deli.
Safeway's meat can't be beat.
Shopper's is about as cheap as Walmart's but close by.
Asian stores - watch out for toxic veggies and fruits. American stuff expensive. Good only for Asian stuff.

Posted by: fyifyifyi ()
Date: June 20, 2014 07:02AM

I went into the Asian market next to Jackson Middle School once and they had live frogs and turtles in the back. They also had dried fish complete with the eyes.
It was totally gross and although I enjoyed the experience I don't feel the desire to go back soon.

Giant is just fine for me. I like the gas points program.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 20, 2014 07:06AM

Food Lions have pretty good bakery items, I gotta admit.

was skeptical at first...................but havent had a bad experience yet

Date: June 20, 2014 06:52PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Food Lions have pretty good bakery items, I gotta
> admit.
>
> was skeptical at first...................but
> havent had a bad experience yet

Just curious: does this reflect your experience at multiple Food Lions? The ones around me are pretty grim.

But I assume stores vary from location to location -- either that, or your post and some of the others on here make me question my sanity (yeah, yeah, take yer cheap shots!). Like:
>Giant has great bakery and deli.
>Safeway's meat can't be beat.

I've shopped at our local Giant for 24 years, watched it go steadily downhill until it's like a big 7-11 in terms of how much I want to shop there. And the three Safeways in my area are all horrible. NOT sayin' the poster above (or you, GB) aren't sincere; just sayin' hasn't been my experience.

Even Wegman's varies somewhat, although not so much around here. But I've been in some of the older ones (with black Mansard roofs, usually) up Western NY that were pretty unimpressive.

Posted by: Wegmans SUX ()
Date: June 21, 2014 04:43PM

^^^^^^

Posted by: tumbling down the rabbit hole ()
Date: July 05, 2014 08:15PM

the big shopper's food warehouse in fairfax across from the trader joe's both are where i shop anymore

american food has so much gmo and chemical additives anymore it isn't even funny

an example would be the tj baby potatoes from france that use sunflower seed oil, instead of the gmo canola and soy that are in the other tj potatoes

tj is headquartered in germany, which is maybe why they have cheap foreign food offerings...italian balsamic vinegar and french dijon mustard are about half of what they are in giant/safeway

the big shopper's food warehouse has a huge variety of foreign made foodstuffs
the prices there are hard to beat, vietnamese foco organic coconut juice is cheaper than anywhere

am i paranoid, or does it seem that a lot of american big food products are gmo and additive filled?

Posted by: bump master g ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:50AM

bump

Posted by: Strawberries ()
Date: July 12, 2014 10:15AM

Wegmans has by far the best produce and bakery. They have a superior frozen foods section too. And their prices are often lower than Giant, which I agree is a shadow of its former self. I go to TJ's for a few things and they have good produce, too. But it IS kinda like a 7-11.

Wegmans parking isn't as bad if you go during the week in the morning or afternoon.

Posted by: Kevin Bruyne ()
Date: October 24, 2020 06:13AM

Whole Foods is excessively costly

Dealer Joes is a raised comfort store.

Its a shot in the dark among Wegmans and Harris Teeter, I just shop produce, fish and meat so I would state Harris Teeter is more reasonable yet Wegmans has a superior choice.

Posted by: jdbtu ()
Date: November 19, 2020 06:39AM

Aldi FTW. Keep it simple.

Posted by: KVXPX ()
Date: November 21, 2020 04:42AM

Posted by: CWWEV ()
Date: November 21, 2020 02:32PM

Posted by: JUPKE ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:12PM

Posted by: PNDNP ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:49PM

Posted by: JVJE3 ()
Date: November 21, 2020 05:25PM

Posted by: VX9HY ()
Date: November 23, 2020 06:40PM

Posted by: EET7L ()
Date: November 24, 2020 05:48PM

Posted by: Milf pussy ()
Date: November 24, 2020 05:51PM

Wegmans Potomac/pw county location

Trader Joe’s old town has that liberal milf vibe(take it in the ass)

Harris teeter -never got any snatch there

Posted by: 4XTG3 ()
Date: November 25, 2020 02:22PM

Posted by: XJVHF ()
Date: November 25, 2020 07:25PM

Posted by: 4VFBN ()
Date: November 27, 2020 01:32AM

Posted by: MUXKD ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:11AM

Posted by: 7J34K ()
Date: November 30, 2020 09:26PM

Posted by: kevibruy ()
Date: November 09, 2021 01:08AM

In my opinon, Harris Teeter is the best store I had ever visited. even they have their own employee login portal name as MyHTSPace login portal

Posted by: Nigga please ()
Date: November 09, 2021 02:29AM

Greybeard Wrote:
> Top to bottom:
> Wegmans
> Trader Joe's
> Whole Foods
> Harris Teeter
>
> HT is a big step down from the other three. And
> way overpriced. Their sale prices are often higher
> than Wegmans' regular prices. OTOH, their BOGOs
> are often not bad--and if you buy one you get it
> half price.
>
> Beats Giant, which recently had a deal on
> corkscrews: buy 2, get 1 free!
> WHO TF NEEDS THREE CORKSCREWS? And if so, what are
> the odds they're buying them at Giant??

You smoking crack nigga?
Attachments:
DFF5322A-849D-4754-9A32-78F0F88F0888.gif

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.