HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
CarMax,We Buy Cars.org, Nico Buys Cars - Any Feedback??
Posted by: Car Seller ()
Date: February 16, 2009 10:34AM

I have 2 cars I need to unload. I know I'll get better money if I sell them online but I really don't have time for the hassle.

I've heard many ads for these car buying places. Has anyone got positive or negative experiences with one or the other? Thanks for your time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CarMax,We Buy Cars.org, Nico Buys Cars - Any Feedback??
Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: February 16, 2009 11:31AM

Do not expect to get near bluebook with one of those car buying places. But they will at least make you an offer

Posted by: Cal ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:14PM

Do they, particularly Carmax, pay a usual percentage below Blue Book?

Selling on Craigslist a good idea?

Wash Post?

Date: February 16, 2009 07:21PM

Car Seller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 2 cars I need to unload. I know I'll get
> better money if I sell them online but I really
> don't have time for the hassle.
>
> I've heard many ads for these car buying places.
> Has anyone got positive or negative experiences
> with one or the other? Thanks for your time

Car Max purchased a couple of vehicles from me. It depends on the vehicle. One vehicle was a 2nd-tier Japanese model and I got $4K for it. The other was a Honda Accord and it was pretty damn close to Blue Book.

Posted by: Ted ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:33PM

Has the Blue Book or Edmunds.com adjusted prices to reflect the poor economy?

Re: Warning! Nico Buys Cars
Posted by: Sinclair ()
Date: July 28, 2009 04:05AM

Nico Buys Cars in Gaithersburg is run by a few gypsys. They started buying and selling in this area around 2002. They would low ball you and harass you into selling your car at a low ball rate. Then they would put it back in the paper and mark it up $1000 to sell it for profit. Now they somehow have acquired a license in MD to buy and sell. Once they buy your car they try to off load it at the dealer only auctions. Mainly the one in Jessup MD (Baltimore-Washington Exchange) He is parked their every morning of the auction. He runs the cars through and trys to sell it.When he doesn't get the price he wants he doesn't pay off your loan. So you get stuck with missing payments and bad credit. If you take your car to CARMAX or a legitimate dealer you will be in better shape. They have reputations to lose. A gypsy is not interested in long term. He simply wants to "flip" a car and make a quick buck. Who cares if you are left out in the rain.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 28, 2009 07:04AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 10:40PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Brown ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:53PM

I strongly advise against dealing with people on Craig's List. Everybody tries to low ball you. Th best offer I got on craig's list for my 07 model Ford was $1500 below as to what Carmax offered me and my car was in excellent shape with a maintenance log. try www.cars.com or www.autotrader.com, beware because they do charge a fee to list your car on their website

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 01:04PM

Nico bwuys cawsuh

Posted by: Brandon ()
Date: July 28, 2009 04:45PM

I remember last season that Nico guy bought up a bunch of advertising on the Comcast network during Capitals games. Guy has a goofy guidoish looking cartoon logo of himself. Joe B. was even laughing and making fun of them during one broadcast, which was probably a subtle hint not to do business with this guy even though he is a show sponsor.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 29, 2009 07:57AM

I hear the Nico ads now and again on WTOP. Sounds like that if you don't take his offer, he'll simply steal your car a week or so later....

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: July 29, 2009 08:34AM

Either you take Nico's offer to buy your car, or take his offer for "protection" so that nothing happens to your car.

Posted by: mack ()
Date: July 29, 2009 08:54PM

Nico offered me 1200 below the lowball offer I got from Carmax the day before.

Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Date: July 30, 2009 08:00AM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:10PM by WingNut.

Posted by: 703-4-Life ()
Date: July 30, 2009 10:38PM

Carmax in Chantilly.... ask for Andrew and he will hook you up (tell him you you're a Yankees fan)

Posted by: we buy cars feedback ()
Date: August 10, 2009 03:21PM

I've sold a car through we buy cars and I had a decent experience with them. My car had some transmission problem and I was selling it at a lower price with that consideration. They offered slightly less than what I wanted but I was glad to get rid of it without any major hassles.

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 10, 2009 03:49PM

I've found that when trading-in at CarMax, they seem to be about 10% below KBB trade-in estimates. I've done 3 trade-ins there, but have always wondered if they lowballed the estimate because I never purchased a car from them.

Posted by: Crystal ()
Date: October 13, 2009 03:34PM

have there been lot of peoples that have sold car to nico and not got titled paid off? what can i do if it happens to me? where do they sell the cars they buy?

Posted by: craigslist ()
Date: October 13, 2009 06:15PM

I've sold two cars via craigslist recently, and I eventually got exactly the price I wanted for both. I set the price just a hair below what appeared to be the fair private-party price of the car using kelley blue book and other craigslist ads.

I was clear in both ads that I wanted cash, and the price was firm. I used very detailed ads with lots of pictures, detailed both cars and was very up front in that I was happy to let potential buyers take the cars to their mechanics before finalizing the purchase, and got good buyers that way.

For some reason all the lowballers were middle-eastern with 571 phone numbers, and would insult me before presenting their ridiculous offers. I don't know if that's how you buy cars in Egypt or what, but I just fucked with them until they got the picture.

Obama's Approval Rating with Military? 15%
Date: October 13, 2009 06:44PM

white-space.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 11:08PM by WingNut.

Posted by: steve ()
Date: October 13, 2009 07:23PM

I have to agree to not turning your vehicle into a dealership, they do not buy vehicles, but to put so much value in kbb in the other bunch is not being fully informed. try putting in a veh. the shape it accually is, then after you see the amount add 50000 miles to it....it wont change that much at all maybe 500 or so, which to anyone is not right. kbb uses a computer program as do most others to come to a total.

Posted by: Michael ()
Date: October 20, 2009 10:57AM

Does anyone know where Guido & Guido sell the cars day buy? Maybe I could go to dem instead?

Posted by: Just an ok guy ()
Date: October 20, 2009 04:49PM

Ive sold two cars on CraigsList. Both in under a week. Just make sure you update your post everyday so it dosent "fall" to the bottom.
Happy sales you silly fgt

Posted by: nico sucks ()
Date: October 30, 2009 11:05AM

i sold my car to nico buys cars and the check they made out to me bounced, which by the way they told me to deposit the next bussiness day but i hadn't deposisted it for a whole week. when i called them to get my money, they sounded so nonchalant on the phone like this happens all the time. they promised to bring me a cashiers check the next day and they did not come. i would never do business with them again. they're bunch of lying sleeze bags. in hindsight, i should have sold my car to carmax or another legitimate business. by the way, nico only gave me $100 more than what carmax was going to give me. this was total waste of time!!!!

Posted by: Brandon ()
Date: October 30, 2009 11:12AM

Report it to the police, bouncing checks especially of this magnitude are considering serious crimes. Tell them that if they don't show up within 24 hours with payment that can be cashed right away you'll report the car as stolen which it is.

Bouncing a check and making no effort to fix it when informed in order to gain access to a car is no different than creating a distraction so you can walk out of a store with merchandise.

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 02:20PM

We decided to sell our 2004 Chrysler Pacifica back in August and hoped to get around $8500. CarMax offered $7400 and Nico offered $7900 which we were going to accept until we found someone on CL who offered $8250 cash. If you are in a hurry it will take about a week to get the money from CarMax and Nico promises 2 business days.

In general I thought that the guy from Nico was low pressure and a decent guy - drove the car up and down the street and did a quick visual inspection.

Posted by: Sweetie ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:10PM

I heard that NICO Was out of business and got a lot of people for a lot of money. Unpaid cars etc.

Posted by: copter ()
Date: May 07, 2010 03:44PM

Nico is on the level, the ones bashing him here are obviously his competition.
We Buy Cars was just all over the news for ripping off numerous people and the Feds have him under investigation so if he does come back under another name stay clear of him (Allan Artino) He also owns a wholesale lot in Laurel.
In the Washington Metro area your best bet is Carmax or Nico, if your worried about Nico ask to meet at his bank and cash your cashiers check there.
Check your local BBB (Better Business Bureau) they don't lie.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: May 07, 2010 04:52PM

Feeback? Yes, buy your car USED, buy it CHEAP, and buy it from the ORIGINAL OWNER.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 07, 2010 10:40PM

Even though this question was posed over a year ago, I can attest to the fact that Carmax always seemed to lowball trade-in values in my experience. We attempted to trade-in a perfect condition vehicle, and the idiot came back talking about body damage, and I don't even remember what else, despite the fact that the car didn't have a single dent, or visible scrape. Their prices for cars are also high, and I don't like the non-negotiable idea.

When buying or selling, you just need to keep looking around. Before I finally bought my car two years ago, I spent a year searching, and I did it all the way from NY to NC, before I finally found a great deal, and a great buying experience. In the end, it's worth it.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: mike ()
Date: May 08, 2010 02:11PM

I just sold my wife's car on Craigslist. Put the ad out Monday, sold by Friday.

Kelley Blue Book - $9300
Carmax offer - $8000
Dealership offer - $8250
Asking price on Craigslist - $9500

Result - got $9000 from a dude on Craigslist after 4 days

Posted by: henry ford ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:03AM

Is Nico still in bidness? don't hear his radio ads no more.

Posted by: NovaBoi ()
Date: May 23, 2010 01:32PM

Nico likes to hang out at Archibalds Strip club in NW DC. If he owes you money you can find him there double parked and embarrass the fat gypsy while he is spending the money he screwed you for :)

Posted by: yio ()
Date: May 23, 2010 01:36PM

Car Seller Wrote:
> I have 2 cars I need to unload. I know I'll get
> better money if I sell them online but I really
> don't have time for the hassle.
>
> I've heard many ads for these car buying places.
> Has anyone got positive or negative experiences
> with one or the other? Thanks for your time

Do not use Nico Buys Cars or webuycars.org. I saw a news story on tv about one of them writing bad checks to the owner/seller; I would go with carmax.

Posted by: NOVAman ()
Date: June 01, 2010 08:23PM

I hear his annoying ass voice on the radio sometimes. "Nico" sounds like just another fucking immigrant trying to rip off real citizens in the DC Metro Area.

Posted by: prdusir ()
Date: April 26, 2011 06:11PM

Ended up with an extra car in the family. Supercharged Pontiac GTP, so NO WAY it was going to one of the kids about to get their license. Called NiKo and CarMax Niko came in a good deal higher than CarMax (my wife and I were both pleasantly surprised). Made the deal with Niko. They showed up on time paid us our money and were gone. Super smooth, low pressure, flawless transaction. I'd do it again with great pleasure.

Posted by: Real gypsy ()
Date: October 28, 2011 10:33AM

Nico is not a gypsy he is Greek his whore x wife went with a gypsy married man .don't know why nico calls him self a fat gypsy .

Posted by: randall mitchell ()
Date: March 21, 2012 01:44PM

you Wrote:
> Car Seller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have 2 cars I need to unload. I know I'll get
> > better money if I sell them online but I really
> > don't have time for the hassle.
> >
> > I've heard many ads for these car buying
> places.
> > Has anyone got positive or negative experiences
> > with one or the other? Thanks for your time
>
>
> Do not use Nico Buys Cars or webuycars.org. I saw
> a news story on tv about one of them writing bad
> checks to the owner/seller; I would go with
> carmax.
i sold my car to carmax they say they will give you a bank draft do not fall for it it is nothing more than a company check it was 29.000 it bounced they sent a cashier's check it was not honored so i have 2 worthless checks they have my car,m i would not buy or sell anything from these worthless,flying pieces of crap

Posted by: Matt CCC ()
Date: February 03, 2013 03:20AM

I sold a car to Nico Buys Cars and was paid with a bad check as well. After a week or so of constant calling and several BS excuses, they did eventually get me a good check. But, I would NEVER deal with them again, under and circumstances.

Posted by: carmax ()
Date: February 04, 2013 04:13PM

I sold my turbo charged german car at carmax and they paid me 3k more than the local VW stealership, in the end I walked out of car max owing 900 bucks (after they paid the remainder of the loan), but then remembered i had an extended warrenty, cancelled that and ended up with 300 bucks.

having said that I drove that car like a fucking F1 driver, and went through 4 tires every six months, based on that experience i would always sell to carmax, but NEVER buy from them.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 04, 2013 06:38PM

carmax Wrote:
> having said that I drove that car like a fucking
> F1 driver, and went through 4 tires every six
> months, based on that experience i would always
> sell to carmax, but NEVER buy from them.

The same logic applies to rental cars.

Posted by: sometines ()
Date: February 05, 2013 03:39PM

yep!

the best deal is to get a second hand car from a dealership, a nice turbo charged animal is good, from some idiot, usally an american, who quickly realized they cannot handle euro / jap quality and sold it for a shitty mustang or corvette.

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:25PM

sometines Wrote:
> yep!
>
> the best deal is to get a second hand car from a
> dealership, a nice turbo charged animal is good,
> from some idiot, usally an american, who quickly
> realized they cannot handle euro / jap quality and
> sold it for a shitty mustang or corvette.

Maybe, or they just got tired of that patented eurojap farting rice rocket sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 11:26PM by Mikeymike.

Posted by: Herb Gordon ()
Date: February 06, 2013 05:32AM

Gawd I hate that We Buy Cars commercial! I change the channel immediately every time it comes on. Before I got sick of it(which didn't take very long at all) I noticed the whole thing is voiced over for dancing harry dude who starts out at the desk

I wouldn't trust carnival barker outfits like that. They got to recoup the costs of the commercial and all the ad time they've bought. I'm saying they just might try and rip you off big time!

Posted by: JACOB B ()
Date: December 04, 2013 12:36PM

I have sold two of my vehicles to this company so far, both had payoffs and I have never had a problem, always proffesional and fast service, as far as payment for my positive equity they gave me their company check that I was able to cash the same day, so I would recomend Nico Buys Cars to anyone that is trying to sell their car.

P.S they did beat my Carmax offer.

Posted by: CB3 ()
Date: December 04, 2013 01:26PM

Craigslist car ads seem to attract mainly scumbags and weirdos.

Posted by: DavidJ ()
Date: October 20, 2014 10:09AM

I got a good offer at Carmax in Rockville so I took my car to my Dealer to see if they could be beat it and they couldn't. I had seen signs for Nico Buys Cars and thought the sign said they would beat any offer buy $200 so I took my car there. They looked it over and said I got a great offer from Carmax and they couldn't beat it. They guy called Nico and confirmed with him that they shouldn't try to beat it. Next thing I know, they're writing me a check for $200! The sign had said if they couldn't beat Carmax written offer they will give you $200. I couldn't believe it. I would definitely deal with Carmax or Nico again.

Posted by: Steve Collins ()
Date: October 20, 2014 03:31PM

I went to Nico to sell my 1981 Bonneville. He offered me $67. I declined. 3 Weeks later, three Romanian men came to my apartment and they broke both my legs and killed my teacup poodle.

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: October 20, 2014 07:06PM

We've bought and sold 7 cars with carmax. We got more for the cars we sold than KBB said so we were impressed. The big plus was my cars had very low mileage and were in very good condition.

Posted by: Jeffisfun2 ()
Date: May 17, 2017 11:26AM

I found you review insulting. You are using gypsy and Guido in a derogatory way. If you had a bad experience, it is perfectly acceptable to do so. Using ethic and social stigma to shar your opinion is not acceptable. It makes your review meaningless because the reader becomes focused on your character issues and discredit anything you have to say. sad.

Posted by: colored driver ()
Date: May 17, 2017 12:06PM

Nico was jailed and then deported in 2015.

A different gypsy has taken the place over.

Posted by: Craig Northrop ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:03PM

Craigslist sucks bc of the garbage that comes out-esp the noggggs. Sadly I was selling 2 European cars and promises of "I'm coming right now" are BS.
Now, they ask you to call them, call goes straight to voice mail. In 11 days or so, you get random robocalls from all these fucked up cities across the us.

Sold an Acura to carmax and it was quick and the cashiers check was cashed that same day by my credit union. However, if you have a 10+ yr older car or high mileage, they turn you away.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.