HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vienna Seeks to Suck on County Tit for Maple Avenue Vacancies
Posted by: Mattress Market Meltdown ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:06PM

Vienna Seeking County Funds to Remedy Maple Avenue Vacancies

September 18, 2019 at 4:45pm

The Town of Vienna is seeking funding from Fairfax County to help fund a plan to address vacancies plaguing Maple Avenue.

The town approached the county earlier this year to split the costs of an economic development strategy and market study totaling $100,000, Scott Sizer from the Department of Economic Initiatives said. The town set aside its $50,000 half when it approved its fiscal year 2020 budget.

“Primarily they are concerned with some of the vacancy rates that they are seeing, particularly in the retail properties along Maple Avenue,” Sizer told the Board of Supervisors during a Budget Committee meeting yesterday (Tuesday).

The town has a 15% vacancy rate with 138 vacant spaces — 68 of which are on Maple Avenue, Sizer said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vienna Seeks to Suck on County Tit for Maple Avenue Vacancies
Posted by: Pay 4s ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:15PM

Maybe they should impose a meals tax.

lol

Posted by: Wasteful Bureaucrat ()
Date: September 19, 2019 04:03PM

More meal taxes and senseless traffic roundabouts!

Posted by: Mattress Mike ()
Date: September 19, 2019 06:53PM

I hereby retract all I have ever said about the filthy hole known as Vienna.

I renounce Vienna in favor of the Wonderful Town of Mosaic!

Amen

Posted by: Vinnie Vienna ()
Date: September 19, 2019 06:56PM

Mattress Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hereby retract all I have ever said about the
> filthy hole known as Vienna.
>
> I renounce Vienna in favor of the Wonderful Town
> of Mosaic!
>
> Amen

Yeah man! I'm with you!

Vienna was my first. But now, she's none but a dirty damsel.

I shall find me another.

Anon

Posted by: Consultant ()
Date: September 20, 2019 12:06PM

At no cost, here are the findings from Vienna's economic development strategy and market study:

1. There is no unifying architectural theme to the various commercial properties along Maple Avenue. As such the street appeal is lacking, almost absent. Making matters worse, the empty storefronts drive potential customers to other locations (see Mosaic, Reston Town Center, Fairfax Corner, etc.)

2. The existing collection of commercial properties holds little appeal to consumers. Vienna does not need another beauty salon or coffee shop.

3. The Town Council's handling of MAC made things go from bad to worse. For example, approving the development of a Sunrise Living facility adjacent to the W&OD trail makes no sense. While a senior-living center makes sense for Vienna, not in this particular location.

4. Given the heavy traffic and the tight sidewalks, Maple Avenue provides little appeal with respect to walking.

5. Parking is atrocious. Period. The absence of even a single parking garage, convenient to retail and restaurants, drives consumers away from Vienna and to neighboring areas.

What makes no sense to me is why the town council does not focus its attention to get a developer (or two) to revitalize the area around the W&OD trail between Church Street and the Caboose?

Imagine on either side of the trail along Dominion Road and Mill Street a collection of retail and restaurants. Adjacent to the trail is a pedestrian plaza, featuring grassy areas, fountains, and other such features. Vienna could use this space for its weekly farmers market.

Developing this area would extend the town green further west and away from Maple Avenue, giving people an appealing place to eat, shop, and relax.

Posted by: No Bueno ()
Date: September 20, 2019 12:11PM

I have never has an issue with parking in Vienna. We don't need a parking garage.

Posted by: Consultant ()
Date: September 20, 2019 12:20PM

Parking at the Giant doesn't count, and what a huge waste of space anyway that adds to the blight of Vienna.

Is is easy to park at Cafe Amouri? Whole Foods (how about getting into and out of that lot)? Taco Bamba/Cava/etc.?

I prefer being able to park in one convenient location and walk to a nice collection of shops and restaurants.

The way parking is done now contributes to the problems facing the commercial properties on Maple Avenue.

Look at Mosaic (sigh). Multiple parking garages and a very walkable location.

Surface lots just don't work, plus they create adverse environmental impacts, such as run-off.

Posted by: Hauling Bags ()
Date: September 20, 2019 02:07PM

Most people don't want to walk multiple blocks carrying their groceries. Whole Foods (AKA Whole Paycheck) should have spent some of their profits on a bigger lot.

Posted by: Director of Planning, Mosaic ()
Date: September 20, 2019 06:51PM

Time for suburban renewal.

Raze the plentiful, rat-infested eyesores.

Begin with the Vienna Inn.

Elimanate the MATTRESS STORES.

Burn all nail salons.

You want millenials? You have to PAY for them.

Find a site for VIENNA FREE UNIVERSITY.

You build it and they will come.

Posted by: The one black chick in Vienna ()
Date: September 20, 2019 07:08PM

We needs us a hair weave store.

Posted by: FFX County Traffic Over Develope ()
Date: September 20, 2019 07:48PM

Everything is vacant because nobody wants to deal with all the traffic from Tyson Corners over development.

Posted by: King of Maple Ave ()
Date: September 20, 2019 11:35PM

I love all the stores on Church street. When I pass out drunk on a bench, they put blankets on me. With more vacancies, I have more places to stsy.yw

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.