HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
IKEA in Fairfax County
Posted by: The Human League ()
Date: June 12, 2014 11:28PM

The closest IKEA to Fairfax County is in Woodbridge, VA. That is 40 miles away from where I live. Do you think there is any chance that IKEA would ever open up in Tysons? I think NOVA can handle 2 IKEAs. A location at Tysons would be a smash hit! There is no doubt in my mind that a location in Tysons would be one of the highest grossing IKEA stores.

I suppose another possible spot is Merrifield at the Mobile headquarters, but that is not Metro accessible =(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IKEA in Fairfax County
Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: June 12, 2014 11:37PM

IKEA requires a huge location. The land value is too high here for them to make much of a profit margin.

You can get all their stuff on Ikea.com, free shipping, right to your door.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:02AM

^ Free shipping from Ikea? I thought you had to order locally and pick up yourself or make arrangements for shipping.

Posted by: land aint cheap ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:34AM

They could probably put one out in Sterling.

Date: June 13, 2014 02:25AM

O i know, land is definitely not cheap around here, and especially in Tysons. Perhaps they could do a unique IKEA store that has high rise condos built on top, or perhaps they could build on top of one of the parking garages facing the beltway at Tysons Corner Center.

The pictures are from a Costco in downtown Vancouver. This project turned out really well... it is definitely something that should be looked into, not just for IKEA.
Attachments:
costco_bc1.JPG
costco_bc2.jpg
costco_bc3.jpg

Posted by: AsloIKEAfan ()
Date: June 13, 2014 05:28PM

There is another Ikea over in Maryland near the University of Maryland I believe. It is just a little jog around the beltway, but you would have to travel off Rush hour time frames to make it worthwhile time-wise.

Date: June 13, 2014 06:35PM

It's so far away tho -___- Why couldn't they make it Metro accessible? I love IKEA but they really put their DC area locations in far off places. I rarely ever go to Woodbridge or Greenbelt (I don't think I have ever been to Greenbelt)

Posted by: tracks ()
Date: June 13, 2014 06:56PM

The Human League Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's so far away tho -___- Why couldn't they make
> it Metro accessible? I love IKEA but they really
> put their DC area locations in far off places. I
> rarely ever go to Woodbridge or Greenbelt (I don't
> think I have ever been to Greenbelt)

IKEA is the type of place you would not go to more than once a year or so. If you have to hoof it to Woodbdge or Greenbelt once in a while, it shouldn't be a big deal.

And LOL at Metro accessiblity. most of the stuff there weighs no less than 100 pounds and one piece of furniture comes in several different boxes. Good luck getting that on the train before the doors close.

Posted by: Not hard ()
Date: June 13, 2014 08:07PM

The Human League Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's so far away tho -___- Why couldn't they make
> it Metro accessible? I love IKEA but they really
> put their DC area locations in far off places. I
> rarely ever go to Woodbridge or Greenbelt (I don't
> think I have ever been to Greenbelt)

Then don't go! Jesus Tittyfucking Christ!

Posted by: Kendra Krinklesac ()
Date: June 14, 2014 11:35AM

They need a IKEA Down in The Richmond & Hampton Roads Area.. the ONLY IKEA LOCATION IN VIRGINIA IS IN WOODBRIDGE

Posted by: juan jose pedro ()
Date: June 14, 2014 11:30PM

Ikea: overpriced cheap shit

Posted by: 6ttnh ()
Date: June 16, 2014 05:39AM

Once again FREE SHIPPING. For me here in Northern VA, I ordered an IKEA desk and chair from woodbridge store and I got it in 3 business days- not bad for free shipping!!

If you don't want to wait, rent a zipcar for the day and run up to greenbelt or down to hoodbridge. If not zipcar, smarter would be rent a uhaul (watch your miles though at 1.29 per!) so you can throw it all in the back and take it home.

But then again- free shipping- do you REALLY want to drag that 100 lb box, pay an extra 100 to rent a car/uhaul, and burn your energy when all you have to do is wait 3 days, never leave your house, and they BRING IT TO YOUR DOOR.

I'd suck it up and take the FREE SHIPPING. If you HAVE to touch it before you buy it, rent a car and go. It's your labor and time is money and if they are offering FREE shipping yet you insist on bringing it home yourself that day the hard way....up to you.

Posted by: I Don't Get It ()
Date: June 16, 2014 03:46PM

^ What am I missing? I just put some stuff in the Ikea shopping cart and calculated shipping - about one fifth the price of the items.

Posted by: Poor Value ()
Date: June 16, 2014 07:06PM

Ikea furniture is cheap as shit. Veneer over cardboard. Literally. Should it be recycled with newspapers?

Posted by: TRUTHSPEAKS ()
Date: June 17, 2014 12:59PM

If you cannot drive 40 minutes to a store then you are beyond lazy. Why would IKEA waste money on building another store within an hour of another store? I'm assuming you did not take any business courses in school or have any common sense.

Also, from Tysons to the IKEA at Potomac Mill is an EASY 30 minute drive if you go in the morning. EASY 30 MINUTES. Don't be lazy.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.