HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Preserve at Westfields
Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: June 12, 2014 01:17PM

For all you folks that enjoy the traffic at 28/Westfields/Stonecroft/Willard - another new congestion producer in the works. Ironic that they are so keen to develop that parcel when there are still vacant office buildings in the area that have not had a tenant since their construction in 2007.

Actually not that ironic, it is always quite amusing to see developer's flip and flop between their arguments for commercial and/or residential. You know the only reason they suddenly want to turn this property into residential is because commercial has been dead for awhile. Stick to the zoning. The reason we have the mess in NOVA is because every time the wind changes the zoning changes making Comprehensive Plans meaningless. It's zoned I-3 Light Industrial. Keep it that way.

Proposed are two, five-story, residential buildings, each 335,000 square feet and having 335 units. They’re identified as C and D in the artist’s rendition, and building C would also have 5,000 square feet of retail in its base. Buildings G and F would also have 280,000 square feet total of commercial office space. Building E would be a four-story, multifamily structure of 255,000 square feet. And pad sites A and B would feature 10,000 square feet of retail uses.

http://www.akridge.com/property/Virginia/119/ThePreserveatWestfields.aspx#description
Attachments:
I-3 Light Industrial.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Preserve at Westfields
Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: June 12, 2014 05:28PM

The link given is useless and outdated as it still claims that the intended development is completely commercial. The whole story (from which the OP quotes WITHOUT GIVING ANY CREDIT) is found on the front page of this week's Centreview -- Centreville, Little Rocky Run---June 12-18, 2014.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: June 12, 2014 07:35PM

Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: June 13, 2014 02:24AM

@ newgatedenizen: Thanks, I just assumed that anyone really interested would find the online edition of Centreview via Google, but you can't expect most readers of FU to be capable of that.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: June 13, 2014 08:41AM

I apologize for quoting without attribution. I made the assumption that anyone interested enough in the story would DuckDuckGo for the info.

But what does everyone think - is that an appropriate spot for residential? I have an email from Supervisor Frey from the mid-2000s vigorously defending the commercial zoning around the Westfields/28 intersection. I predict with 100% certainty he will just as enthusiastically support residential in the same area less than 10 years later.

Posted by: enjoy the traffic dumb fucks ()
Date: June 13, 2014 08:55AM

90 minutes to get to any kind of job. Enjoy dumb fucks

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 17, 2014 06:44PM

Who is Mike Frey? Oh, you mean the guy who always changes his tune? The guy who supports the illegal immigrants? The guy who doesn't listen to the folks in his district? The guy who supports road projects that hurt people in the Sully District? The guy who has no other job but being a supervisor yet never communicates with people in his district?

Time for a new supervisor!

Posted by: Bean brain ()
Date: June 17, 2014 08:33PM

It would be very nice to see Frey out after the next election. I also agreed that the FairFax County Comprehensive Plan needs to be followed and up zoning stopped. As stated, there is a Comprehensive Plan and the stated infrastructure needs to be in placed before any more building is allowed. Now we all know that is not going t happen and getting rid of one dead beat supervisor is not going to change anything. The status quo needs to go.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.