HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DC Radio
Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: April 10, 2007 09:36AM

Has anyone noticed that radio in the DC-area has really hit the shitter in recent years? All you hear now is Christian, Sports Talk, Spanish and Rap. What the Hell happened? You would think one of the top media markets in the country would have a better selection than the shit you hear now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC Radio
Posted by: Price ()
Date: April 10, 2007 09:42AM

I think there's so much fear of being accused of racism, antifeminism or any othe "ism" that no station is willing to take a risk. Look at the latest with Imus. Besides, DC is home of XM, and XM is still good. At least ch.202.

Date: April 10, 2007 10:04AM

What about music??? I remember a time when radio used to play music. I mean, new music. Cutting edge music. Not the same five songs from 1993 over and over again.

Date: April 10, 2007 10:33AM

Frankly speaking, I came to the DC area 8 yrs ago and haven't noticed any difference since then.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:13AM

Yeah, I noticed it when I moved here in 94, and it only seems to have gotten even more lame. That's actually one of my bigger complaints about the area, there aren't many good college or independent stations around here like you find around other cities. Stations where you can hear cool new bands that are out touring the rock clubs. Instead, it's all just alot of tired, mainstream programming. Which is sorta surprising given DC's prestige in the annals of punk rock history. Same goes for the record stores in the area too.

Price Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frankly speaking, I came to the DC area 8 yrs ago
> and haven't noticed any difference since then.

Date: April 10, 2007 11:33AM

Price Wrote:
> Frankly speaking, I came to the DC area 8 yrs ago
> and haven't noticed any difference since then.

You're kidding, right? WHFS being killed off? Stern being off of WJFK, replaced by the Junkies? DC101 getting more and more pathetic by the day? Washington Post Radio with Tony Kornheiser?? Triple-X ESPN? Add to it that virtually every FM station in the high 80s/low 90s is either Christian or another college station playing the same exact NPR programming as every other college station.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:37AM

Buy an IPOD. Problem solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 11:38AM by nakedshoplifter.

Posted by: FlyingNaked ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:40AM

Not to mention they play so many commercials.

Date: April 10, 2007 11:42AM

Buy an IPOD. Problem solved.

Wrong. I bought an iPod 2 years ago and the stations here still really suck. :)

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:42AM

I agree with these posts. But off topic, the 80s and 90s fucking ruled; I wish I was a teenager then especially since my current interests are all with rock and metal bands from the 70s-90s, fuck all we got now is stupid stuff I don't even understand. I'd'tha loved to be in the film Detriot Rock City, except that it was real life and we were seeing ac/dc and not kiss.

Date: April 10, 2007 11:49AM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:
> Buy an IPOD. Problem solved.

I have an I-Pod. How many times can you listen to that?

Date: April 10, 2007 11:54AM

mariokart Wrote:
> I agree with these posts. But off topic, the 80s
> and 90s fucking ruled; I wish I was a teenager
> then especially since my current interests are all
> with rock and metal bands from the 70s-90s, fuck
> all we got now is stupid stuff I don't even
> understand. I'd'tha loved to be in the film
> Detriot Rock City, except that it was real life
> and we were seeing ac/dc and not kiss.

I was a teen in the 80s. You actually had choice. Back then, AOR stations would play deep cuts from Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, etc. If you were into New Wave, many stations played British Invasion shows that featured The Smiths, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. When you got sick of synth music, you could listen to rock or other genres. And back then even the Classic Rock stations would play songs from Steely Dan besides "Reelin' in the Years" or Jethro Tull besides "Aqua Lung."

Today you have infinite choice with the Internet, but it will cost you. And, it's pretty much up to you to hunt down the good stuff. Back in the 70s and 80s, programming directors actually knew what they were doing and cared about what they put on the air.

Date: April 10, 2007 02:31PM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> Price Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Frankly speaking, I came to the DC area 8 yrs
> ago
> > and haven't noticed any difference since then.
>
>
> You're kidding, right? WHFS being killed off?
> Stern being off of WJFK, replaced by the Junkies?
> DC101 getting more and more pathetic by the day?
> Washington Post Radio with Tony Kornheiser??
> Triple-X ESPN? Add to it that virtually every FM
> station in the high 80s/low 90s is either
> Christian or another college station playing the
> same exact NPR programming as every other college
> station.

I was talking about music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 02:31PM by Price.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:34PM

Yes, FM radio has gone downhill. I remember in the early 90s WHFS had ratings that were close to DC101 - a stellar triumph for them. 98 Rock in Baltimore was playing the same stuff they play today - only then it was fresh and new. Now it is old and unexciting.

With focus groups and the bottom line, Radio Stations are appealing to the lowest common denominator in their demo.

Havey Joel Jack Diamond, who keeps insisting his show is not a show for women, is giving away pocketbooks this week. Way to go and appeal to the men, Harvey!!!

There are many reasons for the lack of interesting radio stations, most of which would bore you to tears. But let me say one thing. MTV helped break new artists years ago and radio rode on the coattails. When MTV Stopped playing music in the 1993-1995 range, radio stations, whose management had hired jocks to copy the MTV play list, were dead in the water creativity and talent wise.

This is mainly the reason Howard Stern soared. He had talent, while few others in the industry did.

Incompetent management hiring "yes men" talent. They left themselves wide open for what has happened. I am not bitter, just angry.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:56PM

Radiophile Wrote:
>
> This is mainly the reason Howard Stern soared. He
> had talent, while few others in the industry did.
>
>

Could you please explain what kind of talent Howard Stern has?

Date: April 10, 2007 03:34PM

Could you please explain what kind of talent Howard Stern has?

The guy created a immensely popular, nationally-syndicated radio show, one that made millions of listeners laugh their asses off for years and years, and made stations alot of money. He also created 2 popular TV shows, wrote two best selling books, and made a successful movie. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard happened on that show, stuff me and my friends still talk and laugh about even after 15 years. Not everyone likes his style of humor, for whatever reasons, but it would be absurd to say he's not a recognized talent in the radio business.

Posted by: dDvPn ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:02PM

dude, you've gotta admit, calling an airline and asking how much a one way ticket to the 14th street bridge costs is fucking hilarious

Date: April 10, 2007 04:21PM

dude, you've gotta admit, calling an airline and asking how much a one way ticket to the 14th street bridge costs is fucking hilarious

If you actually heard the broadcast you would know that it was done with a smug contempt for the airline, because they made a completely irresponsible mistake. Stern and crew were outraged by what happened.

But you'd only know that if you actually heard it, instead of forming an opinion based on third-hand information you read on the internet more than 20 years later.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:38PM

I agree that radio is quite lame these days.

...anyone remember when Don & Mike played music (WAVA) or mornings on 107.3 before Jack Diamond's show?

WCXR was a classic rock station however, it went away with the pop-country explosion. And WMZQ. Well, it was a good station, before they too sold out to corporates.

My number 1 preset button is now 102.7 out of B-More. Any decent radio can pull in that signal in the Fairfax area. If you liked radio in the 80's, you may find 102.7 (JACK) to be a decent listen.

Enjoy!

Posted by: DEw4C ()
Date: April 10, 2007 05:38PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> dude, you've gotta admit, calling an airline and
> asking how much a one way ticket to the 14th
> street bridge costs is fucking hilarious
>
> If you actually heard the broadcast you would know
> that it was done with a smug contempt for the
> airline, because they made a completely
> irresponsible mistake. Stern and crew were
> outraged by what happened.
>
> But you'd only know that if you actually heard it,
> instead of forming an opinion based on third-hand
> information you read on the internet more than 20
> years later.

I did, you dumb ass.. I like stern and listened until he went to sirius... but you sound like you suck on his wang

Date: April 10, 2007 05:47PM

I don't know what you're talking about, guy

DEw4C Wrote:
> I did, you dumb ass.. I like stern and listened
> until he went to sirius... but you sound like you
> suck on his wang

Posted by: baba booey ()
Date: April 10, 2007 06:49PM

Stern may come back after his contract expires with Sirus. I heard they shot their wad on him and they can only make money on new subscribers since there are no commercials.
But by then he may have lost his touch and his audience. I agree though in the long run the radio here really sucks. Its wide open for someone with some talent to take over the morning drive.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: April 10, 2007 06:57PM

Sirius has commercials on Stern's show and the other non-music stations.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: April 10, 2007 07:16PM

I have Sirius and they have ads but only on non-music stations. But I love listening to Howard.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: April 10, 2007 07:26PM

Howard was funny. A long long time ago. Then it was all about the government conspiracy to censor him and get rid of him. Now it is all about how he invented everything and everyone rips him off. Yawn.

Now, Opie and Anthony (the XM version) are very funny. And Jim Norton adds to their show. A few months ago they harped on Stern a lot, but now they rarely mention him. In fact, no one really mentions him. He has ceased to become important. I have heard a few of his Sirius broadcasts and they are nothing but a Howard lovefest, with his yes-man sidekick, and his yes-woman Robin, who does nothing but laugh and agree with his every statement. What a lousy investment for $500 million.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when XM and Sirius merge, though. But it won't be Hoo Hoo picking who stays and who goes, it will be Mel Karmizen. And he knows O and A have a lot of fans.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: 703-4-LIFE ()
Date: April 11, 2007 01:33AM

SIRIUS RADIO IS THE WAY TO GO!!!

Posted by: baba booey ()
Date: April 11, 2007 07:00AM

I never got Sirus. I thought their big selling point was no commercials. I remember a critic warning that it was only a matter of time before they did sell commercials on Sirus just like cable tv.

Date: April 11, 2007 11:06AM

baba booey Wrote:
> Stern may come back after his contract expires
> with Sirus. I heard they shot their wad on him and
> they can only make money on new subscribers since
> there are no commercials.

As of recently, Stern will not return to AM/FM radio. The only way it could happen is if one of the FM conglomerates bought a majority stake in Sirius and simulcast his Sirius show, similar to what is done with O&A. But it is not going to happen.

While I can not predict the future with 100% accuracy, I can say that when Stern's contract with Sirius expires he will either renew with them (48% chance I would guess) or move on to other projects: television/movies (52% likelihood).

Unless the FCC is abolished, then it is anyones guess.

Posted by: chantilly ()
Date: April 11, 2007 02:15PM

94.7 The Globe is good. I haven't heard Elvis Costello on the radio in years until I chanced upon 94.7. This morning, Roxy Music's Avalon.

I agree though. DC radio has been crap lately.

I used to live in Philly and listened to WXPN all the time. DC needs a WXPN

Date: April 11, 2007 02:21PM

94.7 The Globe is pretty good. Unfortunately the signal is a bit iffy. Also, the morning drive guy knows his music. He needs to play more of it and talk less about it.

Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: April 11, 2007 02:29PM

I was enjoying George 104, but again, they changed formats. And THAT just sucks.

Date: April 11, 2007 04:09PM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
> I was enjoying George 104, but again, they changed
> formats. And THAT just sucks.

You don't like Black Baptist Boogy?

Posted by: Judge Smails ()
Date: April 13, 2007 02:25PM

Why would a station go from something so good like George104 to religious? They didn't even give it a chance....

Who owns it anyway? I want to send a protest.. After all, it is OUR airwaves. They shouldn't have the right to mess with us like that.

Posted by: Howard S. ()
Date: April 13, 2007 09:39PM

The DC area is wide open for some new talent. Most morning drive is just terrible. I have a half hour commute and usually hear, if I am lucky, one song played during the 7:30-8:00 a.m. time slot. Too much talk, too many commercials.
It seems everyone is scared to stick with a format or DJ and the Imus mess isn't helping. Could the days of free radio shock jocks be over.

Posted by: Washing ToneLocian ()
Date: April 13, 2007 10:05PM

Judge Smails Wrote:
> Why would a station go from something so good like
> George104 to religious? They didn't even give it a
> chance....
>
> Who owns it anyway? I want to send a protest..
> After all, it is OUR airwaves. They shouldn't have
> the right to mess with us like that.

Radio One - which does urban radio - bought the station from Bonneville, which owns WTOP.

Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: April 14, 2007 12:24AM

Yes. George 104 is now on 103.5 2. A high-def station. And I do not own a high-def radio so, my radio sucks once again.

Date: April 14, 2007 08:45AM

Judge Smails Wrote:
> Why would a station go from something so good like
> George104 to religious? They didn't even give it a
> chance....
>
> Who owns it anyway? I want to send a protest..
> After all, it is OUR airwaves. They shouldn't have
> the right to mess with us like that.

Technically, the frequencies belong to the Government and the ownership is not transient - meaning just because the government owns it, the ownership does not follow to the people. There are legal words which explain this better, but it takes up volumes in regulation books. Too difficult to explain here. Trust me on this.

While the public can challenge the sale of a station on many grounds, according to FCC regulations, format change of a station is not one that the FCC will entertain.

So if your favorite station played nothing but Rush Limbaugh and was approached by a prospective owner who wanted to change the stations format to Zulu Music all the time, you, as a citizen, could challenge the sale on the such items new owners criminal record, ties to organized crime, or the fact the new owner does nothing to help the community etc - but the FCC will not even listen to an argument about Zulu music versus Rush Limbaugh.

In the olden days, a station had to have some type of community involvement, air some type of community affairs programing etc. No longer. The National Association of Broadcasters lobbied to get rid of those rules. Stations had send a postcard to the FCC every X number of years to renew their licenses. A postcard for heavens sake! Not any longer. The NAB lobbied to get rid of that rule also.

Radio and the NAB are much of the blame for the sad state of radio.

not my opinion, just a fact.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 14, 2007 12:31PM

Well instead of donations for FFXU to start its own Radio station.

WFXU

Gravis in the mornings, the morning ZOO

Pgens Soapbox oratory on why everyone else is wrong but HIM

Mariokart evening drive comedy hour

KeeponTruckin's Grateful Dead Hour sponsored by WolfTrap

TheMeeper's Bands you've never heard of but are way cooler than YOUR bands

Lurkers from the days when artists actually wrote and sang their own songs

what a line up. it would KILL

Posted by: Howard S. ()
Date: April 14, 2007 01:16PM

After what happened to Imus the rest will fall into line and do nothing more than report the weather and traffic. Stations and sponsors are scared to death of Al and Jesse and none want to be the next victim to have to cough up $$$ to avoid a shakedown by these two con men.

Date: April 14, 2007 02:22PM

I believe I should be General Manager of WFXU. While I do not "have a face for radio", I do have the name....

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:48PM

I believe you mean VOice for Radio. Unless you are one Good Looking Son of a bitch you DO have a face for radio you ugly mutherfucker

Date: April 17, 2007 06:52PM

ferfux Wrote:
> I believe you mean VOice for Radio. Unless you
> are one Good Looking Son of a bitch you DO have a
> face for radio you ugly mutherfucker

No, I meant what I said "face for radio".It is an old radio industry joke, like the one about the radio station sales manager who got mugged. The thief got $60 in cash and $400 in trade....

The phrase "face for radio" means that the people in radio are not good looking enough for television or the movies: Imus, Stern and Limbaugh are great examples. They are good at their craft, whether you like them or not, but they are not good looking by a long shot.

I have been to many conferences for the radio industry as well as many record company conferences and conventions. I have heard many times the record industry people calling the radio conventions "a gathering of the uglies". By the way, record company conventions are full of hotties. If you do not believe me, just go to one SXSW Music Conference. You will be amazed.

Why am I articulating my position to someone who uses foul language and is borderline illiterate?

Please find a better use of your time then to come here and insult people who are trying to use the internet for what is was originally designed for: the useful sharing of knowledge.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 17, 2007 09:35PM

Why did you bother responding to ferfux? He's just posting during detention at whatever elementary school he goes to, pay no mind to his pointless ranting.

Date: May 17, 2007 09:59AM

Anyone else been listening to "The Globe." I like the format. However, that Weasel morning drive guy needs the boot. I appreciate his interest in music, but blabbering on about some guy who was involved in a Flying Burrito Brothers side project in 1976 for 10 minutes during morning drive is a killer. You can sense the frustration of the Kelly gal every time she tries some light banter with the guy and it ends up as a dissertation on the history of Ska music.

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: May 17, 2007 10:10AM

Funny, I was driving back from a store yesterday after accidentally leaving my Sirius receiver at home and almost turned on the radio, but then I thought why bother and didn't.

I like the commercial-free music, but has anyone noticed that the commercial breaks on Stern's channels are getting longer and longer? They never break between 6a-7a when I'm listing to the live feed, but on replays they break for a long time (10 minutes at least). And during Mastertape Theater you have an even bigger problem because they are playing old FM shows, which broke more often, and using the same long breaks. On Fridays I rarely get to hear any Stern show content while commuting because it is all ads.

Date: May 17, 2007 10:54AM

FairF4x0r Wrote:
> Funny, I was driving back from a store yesterday
> after accidentally leaving my Sirius receiver at
> home and almost turned on the radio, but then I
> thought why bother and didn't.
>
> I like the commercial-free music, but has anyone
> noticed that the commercial breaks on Stern's
> channels are getting longer and longer? They
> never break between 6a-7a when I'm listing to the
> live feed, but on replays they break for a long
> time (10 minutes at least). And during Mastertape
> Theater you have an even bigger problem because
> they are playing old FM shows, which broke more
> often, and using the same long breaks. On Fridays
> I rarely get to hear any Stern show content while
> commuting because it is all ads.

Between that kind of bullshit and the fact that most satellite radio cuts out at an annoying frequency, I'm not sure if Sirius or XM have much of a future either.

Posted by: thatsleazyweasel ()
Date: May 17, 2007 11:21AM

"However, that Weasel morning drive guy needs the boot."
Weasel is a DC radio icon. He knows more about music than all the other douchebag "DJ's" put together.
You must be what, 13?

Date: May 17, 2007 11:34AM

thatsleazyweasel Wrote:
> "However, that Weasel morning drive guy needs the
> boot."
> Weasel is a DC radio icon. He knows more about
> music than all the other douchebag "DJ's" put
> together.
> You must be what, 13?

Icon or not, the guy sucks.

Most DJ's in this - or any market - are bad. However, Cerphe, for instance, knows how to discuss music AND be entertaining. So does Don Geronimo. Weasel, on the other hand, bores the shit out of people and seems to be completely oblivious to it.

Posted by: Greaseman ()
Date: May 21, 2019 09:12PM

Tune tuna tuna fish fish tuna fish fish tuna fish

Posted by: frieda's ghost ()
Date: May 21, 2019 11:35PM

Don and Mike, Opie and Anthony, Stern, Big O and Dukes, Ron and Fez, Art Bell, The Hideout, Peter Rosenberg, G. Gordon Liddy, The Greaseman ....... I miss radio

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.