HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Root Canal Cost
Posted by: tcon ()
Date: June 06, 2014 11:40AM

Anyone have a dentist that can perform a root canal for a "REASONABLE" cost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Root Canal Cost
Posted by: dental referral ()
Date: June 06, 2014 12:07PM

Yes, Seven Corners Dental, it was about $300.

Posted by: Notta Chance ()
Date: June 06, 2014 12:16PM

dental referral Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Seven Corners Dental, it was about $300.

No way. At least not counting everything involved for a typical root canal pretty much regardless who you go to. Initial exam, xrays, actual procedure, cap, etc. That might be what you paid after insurance.

Posted by: eff ewe ()
Date: June 06, 2014 12:18PM

Retardz

Posted by: Brace Yourself ()
Date: June 06, 2014 12:40PM

Notta Chance Wrote:
> dental referral Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, Seven Corners Dental, it was about $300.
>
>
> No way. At least not counting everything involved
> for a typical root canal pretty much regardless
> who you go to. Initial exam, xrays, actual
> procedure, cap, etc. That might be what you paid
> after insurance.

$300 might cover the procedure (although I doubt it), but I've never had a root canal that didn't need a cap. I'd expect a couple thousand for the whole thing (without insurance).

Posted by: South of the Border Dental ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:17PM

Brace Yourself Wrote:

> $300 might cover the procedure...

in Mexico.

Posted by: i know i know ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:32PM

Mine was free. My insurance paid for it. I don't care about cost I have a job that gives me actual benefits.

Date: June 06, 2014 03:59PM

i know i know Wrote:
> Mine was free. My insurance paid for it. I don't
> care about cost I have a job that gives me actual
> benefits.

They can afford to do that when they pay you $2.35 an hour

Posted by: Dr. PP Shivers ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:29PM

Without good insurance, a root canal from a quality endodontist will easily set you back $1500 or more. Or you can just say fuck it and have the tooth pulled for a small fraction of that cost.

Posted by: FairfaxBob ()
Date: June 06, 2014 10:38PM

Had one today. My insurance was already maxed out so I had to pay $1272.00. That was the "special price" worked out with the insurance company for their patients. If you don't have insurance it would be $1500. That's for 4 roots, a molar. Non-molars are less. Less roots = less money.

Posted by: be cheap ()
Date: June 07, 2014 08:23AM

An extraction is under $200. If you are broke, live without a tooth. It happens all the time. When you get enough money you can get a fake.

Posted by: which reasonable ()
Date: June 07, 2014 08:46AM

I love the use of the word reasonable when it seems somebody is using it describe, "the way I want it".

At least OP put it in quotes to highlight it...who knows what they are getting at so we'll give them the benefit of doubt?

Reasonable from a dentist's point of view, I would guess, would include costs of education, equipment, medicine, staff, office rent, tools, insurance, etc...plus, of course, a profit to make enough money to live the way a highly educated and hard working professional would expect to live.

So, I would think all of these costs would need to go into determining reasonable. Seems it would be more than $300 for a good one, but who knows???

Is that what you mean by reasonable?

Or, do you mean..."the way I want it"?

Posted by: ntnV7 ()
Date: June 07, 2014 09:21AM

reasonable on fairfax underground is a fascinating idea.

anything here is too expensive, cheaply made or inedible.

Posted by: Don't forget ()
Date: June 07, 2014 11:34AM

Reasonable would also include what the insurance companies will pay for procedures and what the market conditions dictate.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 07, 2014 11:51AM

We cannot discount the possibility that the OP is simply trying to find out what root canals go for in this area. However too often "reasonable" has become a code word for the "Friends and Family I'm covering my out of pocket costs" heavily discounted rate, or the charity rate that some providers have worked out with certain charities. NEITHER OF THESE ARE REASONABLE.

A reasonable rate is one that covers materials, labor at rates reasonable for professionals, overhead and provides some profit for the owner. Usually this rate can be approximated by adding together the patient's out of pocket payments and the amount of the insurance company's payment towards the procedure. It has been a few years since I had a root canal but allowing for inflation I would expect it to be somewhere around $1,000.

To some extent the medical profession has done it to themselves. With insurance companies paying much of the cost of medical procedures many patients have little or no idea of what the true cost of the services. Add to that that quite often the uninsured rate will be a multiple of the rate paid by insured, even when the uninsured patient is paying cash up front, and the assumption is that quoted rates are heavily padded.

Posted by: Toothy Tom ()
Date: June 07, 2014 12:16PM

You also get money back from a tooth extraction. Just place it under your pillow and the money will be overnighted.

Posted by: UCFDD ()
Date: June 07, 2014 12:43PM

This is a dental cost guide that gives the average price of a basic root canal in Fairfax as $1490 for someone without insurance. The restoration (the crown) could easily be another $1500 or more.
http://fairhealthconsumer.org/dental_cost.php

Most dentists have payment plans for big-ticket services. The University of Maryland Dental School in Baltimore has a reduced-price clinic where students treat patients under the supervision of professors. Quality is reportedly pretty good, especially with a lot of people watching each other, but appointments can be hard to get.

Date: June 07, 2014 02:22PM

Like I said, if you are broke, just do an extraction. You have plenty of other teeth. Payment plans are an option, but you have to qualify. And pay. Don't stiff your dentist or a credit plan. Dental schools are a great option but yes there are waits and that is not close.

You can always get a fake later on if you ever get the money. If you go to a horrible place for a cheap root canal you can be injured, get an infection, be duped into paying more than you thought, etc.

Sorry Charley. There is no free lunch.

Posted by: Not So Fast ()
Date: June 07, 2014 02:42PM

There are long term implications to removing a tooth. Teeth shift over time, which can really screw up your mouth. And the bone degenerates. I've spent many thousands of dollars dealing with the problems caused by having four teeth removed when I was a kid.

Date: June 07, 2014 03:06PM

I understand the problems and I really do empathize with you. However, if you don't have any money, don't have any dental insurance (which is pretty lousy generally anyway), and Obamacare doesn't cover dental, you are kind of out of options. Dentists don't work for free.

Perhaps there are some free or low-cost clinics who will do this (including a lovely crown) for a person in need.

I will agree that dental care is expensive and it is hard to find a way to get assistance. But, the taxpayers also can't afford to pay $3000 every time somebody in the United States loses a tooth.

Posted by: Go away ()
Date: June 07, 2014 03:31PM

Another option is to leave this area. Go to a cheaper area or even to a different country. There are dentists in Mexico, who believe it or not do quality work and don't charge a lot. They work on a lot of Americans who travel there for the lower prices. I have also heard of European countries (forgot which ones) where you can go and have a vacation, get your teeth worked on for less than similar procedures here. Search the Internet, there are options.

Date: June 07, 2014 03:46PM

Ok how are you going to get to Mexico? Walk?
If you can afford a European vacation, you can afford to have your tooth fixed by a reputable American practitioner and keep the money in THIS country. It is worth the investment.

A root canal and crown takes a lot of time. You can have several visits to make sure the crown fits properly, etc. Even if you do a CAD-CAM Cerec you still have to go back for an adjustment usually.

Posted by: rel ()
Date: June 07, 2014 03:51PM

Dental care in the US is a joke, it is just a money generating business. The quality of the materials is cheap and poor, made in China. Most of the dentists go to school for 3 years. In other counties they go to school from 5 to 8 years. I had stuff done here, it fell off after a year. Went overseas to Latin America, the work was better and had no issues whatsoever, and the cost was 15 times less, even including the ticket that was like 600 bucks I saved a lot.

Posted by: nMHHY ()
Date: June 07, 2014 11:28PM

Northern Virginia has a public low-income dental clinic. It looks like it might be hard to get an appointment, but you could call them and ask if they can do anything for you or refer you somewhere else.
http://www.nvds.org/northern-virginia-dental-clinic/

Posted by: EEhhK ()
Date: June 08, 2014 02:51AM

be cheap Wrote:
> Ok how are you going to get to Mexico? Walk?
>
Apparently many people have found good care at lower prices in Mexican towns close to the U.S. border. Airfare and fees might be manageable. For reference:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/feb/09/medical-maquila-insurers-are-following-americans-m/
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2007/02/my_mexican_dentist.html
http://www.wheelingit.us/2013/01/16/getting-dental-work-in-mexico-part-i-clarifying-myths-facts/
http://www.dentalworkmexico.com/index.html

Posted by: Vixis ()
Date: June 08, 2014 09:19AM

I had one dentist try and convince me I needed 2 root canals after a teeth cleaning, RIGHT! I told him to fill the teeth which he reluctantly did. Dentists are like car repair shops, they find additional things that could possibly be wrong in hopes you will sucker into their story and shell out money. The dentist told me that I will eventually need 2 root canals, I told him no I won't because they will get pulled if that happens. He shut up after that.

Posted by: WV Vixis ()
Date: June 08, 2014 01:16PM

I had one dentist try and convince me I needed to brush my teeth after each meal, RIGHT! I told him to fill the bad teeth which he reluctantly did. Dentists are like car repair shops, they find additional things that could possibly be wrong in hopes you will sucker into their story and shell out money. The dentist told me that I will eventually need more fillings, I told him no I won't because they will get pulled if that happens. He shut up after that.

Posted by: Bullocks! ()
Date: June 08, 2014 01:45PM

I'm from England. Can someone please explain what a dentist is? Thanks.

Posted by: E. Gads ()
Date: June 08, 2014 01:49PM

Bullocks! Wrote:
> I'm from England. Can someone please explain what
> a dentist is? Thanks.

England - Bad food and no dental hygiene.

Posted by: Trt ()
Date: June 08, 2014 06:14PM

It is not safe for the white race !!!!
No I'm not paranoid or crazy !!!
The Jews are trying to take over the world , no I'm not paranoid or crazy !!! This is trouble for all white people FOR SURE !!!!!
Jealous & racist Jews harassing me !!!! Hollywood stars , famous people , you name it !!!! THIS IS A JOKE !!!! It is a sneaky Israeli operation !!! Cameras & intelligence equipment everywhere !!
These people need to be in trouble !!! Some names are : Charlie sheen, Seth Romans , Dallas , vik medical & clay Evans Tom Thumb grocery store , messes with peoples medication ,Natalie Winn , Tracy & Lauren smiley,royal crest dr Dallas, Andrew & jack stadtman ,Dallas,Brian ,Michael Lubin ,Dallas , Jeff Webb , Jim Rolfe ,highland park , attorney, all the presidents from the 1960s ,they're Jewish but the media hides it !!! Also afamous s athletes & other people that you wouldn't know we're Jewish & nobody ever says anything ,It's hard to believe but it's true !! Dek ,Doug ,Jed & sandy Davis, Dallas , Hillsboro tx ,major losers , need to be arrested , all Hollywood actors& actresses , Paul rudiger , mark , christian Johnson falls rd Preston hollow neighborhood , bobby & Jared Metze, Connecticut , Dallas , Rick Russell & bobby Goldstein ,Dallas attorneys , Melissa , ray Martin, nashwood dr Dallas

Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by: Rubenstein's White Nurse ()
Date: June 08, 2014 06:17PM

Trt Wrote:
> It is not safe for the white race !!!!
> No I'm not paranoid or crazy !!!
> The Jews are trying to take over the world , no
> I'm not paranoid or crazy !!! This is trouble for
> all white people FOR SURE !!!!!
> Jealous & racist Jews harassing me !!!! Hollywood
> stars , famous people , you name it !!!! THIS IS
> A JOKE !!!! It is a sneaky Israeli operation !!!
> Cameras & intelligence equipment everywhere !!
> These people need to be in trouble !!! Some
> names are : Charlie sheen, Seth Romans , Dallas ,
> vik medical & clay Evans Tom Thumb grocery store ,
> messes with peoples medication ,Natalie Winn ,
> Tracy & Lauren smiley,royal crest dr Dallas,
> Andrew & jack stadtman ,Dallas,Brian ,Michael
> Lubin ,Dallas , Jeff Webb , Jim Rolfe ,highland
> park , attorney, all the presidents from the 1960s
> ,they're Jewish but the media hides it !!! Also
> afamous s athletes & other people that you
> wouldn't know we're Jewish & nobody ever says
> anything ,It's hard to believe but it's true !!
> Dek ,Doug ,Jed & sandy Davis, Dallas , Hillsboro
> tx ,major losers , need to be arrested , all
> Hollywood actors& actresses , Paul rudiger , mark
> , christian Johnson falls rd Preston hollow
> neighborhood , bobby & Jared Metze, Connecticut ,
> Dallas , Rick Russell & bobby Goldstein ,Dallas
> attorneys , Melissa , ray Martin, nashwood dr
> Dallas
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Sent from my iPhone
----------------------------
lol this is why we need to control anglo saxons because they are tooo paranoid and will kill as a result.

Posted by: nDvVY ()
Date: June 08, 2014 10:23PM

E. Gads Wrote:
> Bullocks! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm from England. Can someone please explain
> what
> > a dentist is? Thanks.
>
>
> England - Bad food and no dental hygiene.

That's a bad joke that probably goes back to World War II. Dental care for everywone is covered by Britain's national health insurance. We should be so lucky.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/985.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

Posted by: Hardy har har ()
Date: June 08, 2014 11:44PM

Have you seen their teeth? Perhaps that's an argument against government health care.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.