HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Install Range Hood
Posted by: KK ()
Date: June 15, 2011 09:05AM

Any recommendations on who to call to install a new range hood, and duct work in the Alexandria area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Install Range Hood
Posted by: on the wall ()
Date: June 15, 2011 01:09PM

Look in the mirror and say these three little letters D I Y.

Not a hard job.

Posted by: DIYer ()
Date: June 15, 2011 01:23PM

It can be a pain in the butt if the vent ductwork is not installed.

I installed a vent hood in place of a microwave/vent that was in place originally - the one I installed, however, used an 8" duct requiring cutting a new hole in the side of the house and enlarging existing access internal to the ceiling.

That actual vent hood itself installed very easily but the ductwork was a pain.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 15, 2011 04:11PM

You should try to do it yourself if the ducting is already in place. It is a rather easy job that is on par with replacing a ceiling light fixture.

If the ducting is not in place, then I recommend that you get an HVAC person - instead of a handyman - to run the duct. They're better at running ducts where they need to go. A general handyman could possibly be just as capable as you are at running that duct, except that you would actually give a shit about your house and try to run it right.

The hood that was installed in my kitchen (by the previous owners) had ducting behind it but it wasn't connected at all. All of the "knockouts" that one would use to open up the hood and connect the duct were intact. The fan was just blowing into an enclosed space. This is like cutting a hole in the door of a sealed broom closet and hooking up a fan to blow into it.

I found this only after installing an over-the-range microwave.

The relevance? The previous owner wasn't the DIY type and hired someone to put this in for them.

The electrical was run to a nearby outlet with romex running out from the wall plate outside the wall and then behind the cabinet. What a fucking ghetto rig and safety issue. All the other hired out work had similar quality and attention to detail. There were rubber unions joining ABS drain pipe that were then enclosed in walls, that popped off when the drain was snaked. There were exposed electrical wires in the attic and cables weren't stapled to the structure.

I'd rather do without or do it myself than let some clown make my house unsafe.

Posted by: rickafterburner ()
Date: June 16, 2011 06:30AM

I had an HVAC guy install the duct and an electrician install a circuit (terminating in an outlet), then installed a microwave myself. If you preserve the integrity of the electrical box on the hood and can make a simple hole to the cabinet above to run power, you can get a short cord with a plug on the end (sold for garbage disposals). You're going to have the easiest time in the future when you want to install a microwave.

Rick

Posted by: Mike the Arch. ()
Date: June 17, 2011 07:49AM

Call BUZZ, Almost Anything Handyman. Licensed. 703.220.7197

Posted by: jassica678 ()
Date: March 03, 2012 07:06AM

it helps to install range hood and also informative, keep up to date.

Date: March 04, 2012 11:28AM

I want to buy a range hoods, but i'm confused about this which range hoods are well organized my house and better for me, any
one could help me to choose a suitable range hoods.

Posted by: up up and awayyyyy ()
Date: March 04, 2012 03:11PM

Jassica- you should look into the canvas and suede range hoods rather than aluminum. Canvas and suede are much more efficient and aesthetically pleasing. It will make for a good story the next time your friends and family visit. Good luck.

Date: March 05, 2012 01:54PM

Hey,
I want to buy a range hoods, but i'm confused about this which range hoods are well, in the internet i'm searching about range
hoods, then i found these site range hoods .And made a decision to buy a range
hoods in this type of. Here is the three, which one of i want to buy.

Model: KA-101-CS 30" NT AIR.
Or
Model: KA-144-CLG 42" NT AIR.
Or
Model: KA-144 24" NT AIR.

Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: March 05, 2012 02:22PM

jassica678 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Model: KA-101-CS 30" NT AIR.
> Or
> Model: KA-144-CLG 42" NT AIR.
> Or
> Model: KA-144 24" NT AIR.

Pretty cool site - note that each hood is designed to fit over a certain-sized range.

The prices look pretty good - I paid $700-ish for a Thermador 30" hood about 20 years ago - and that was the wholesale price.

Re: Install Range Hood in northern virginia
Posted by: Marie ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:58PM

Looking for duct installers for a kitchen range hood

Posted by: Because you asked ()
Date: April 22, 2019 09:12AM

Call or email the Governor of Virginia - He has info on a full range of hoods.
Attachments:
images.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.