HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Personal Property Tax on my Cars
Posted by: Noah ()
Date: August 04, 2006 07:57AM

Has anyone else received theirs yet from the County? My two cars, an 03 Acura and 05 Acura together = $1100.00. I almost dropped dead. Am I missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Fairfax County; Personal Property Tax on my Cars
Posted by: It's For The Children ()
Date: August 04, 2006 08:26AM

Below is from the Fairfax County Web Site. Both of your cars are well over the $ 20,000.

Vehicles qualified for tax relief are noted on your tax bill and show a reduction for the portion of the tax the Commonwealth will pay. For qualified vehicles; your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percentage for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. Fairfax County will be reimbursed by the Commonwealth for the amount of the reduction once you have paid the balance due shown on your bill. If your qualifying vehicle's assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated and the Commonwealth's share is 100%. Tax relief is calculated using Fairfax County's effective tax rate ($4.57 per $100 of assessed value) in effect on August 1, 1997.
You are required to certify annually to Fairfax County that your vehicle remains qualified to receive car tax relief. Therefore, it is important that you review the information sent to you by your locality to be sure that your vehicles are properly qualified. This information may be included on items such as personal property tax returns or tax bills. If your vehicle is improperly qualified or you are uncertain whether your vehicle would be eligible for car tax relief because it is used part of the time for business purposes, contact us at 703-222-8234, TTY 703-222-7594. When you pay your taxes on qualified vehicles, you are certifying to Fairfax County that your vehicle has been qualified correctly.
Remember, you must still pay personal property taxes by October 5th each year.
Car Tax Information from Virginia DMV.

Re: Personal Property Tax on my Cars
Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: August 04, 2006 08:28PM

Tax on my three Toyotas totalled $216.00. (cars are just transportation to me, not a statement)

I really like the part about no more County stickers!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 07, 2006 08:28AM

Noah: You are missing something... $1100 heh heh sorry, couldn't resist.

Values over 20,000 are not discounted at all. I guess the little status symbols can cost you some MORE money now.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 07, 2006 08:50AM

That sucks.. My 97 Jeep Cherokee... property tax of a whopping 6 bucks and change. I laughed when I saw that my boat trailer had a larger tax bill than the car I tow it with.

Posted by: Turbo Mirage ()
Date: August 07, 2006 08:52PM

wowwowowowo omg that's horseshit , I owe like 116 on a 2000 civic, bullshit!

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:22AM

So what would a car that is worth ~$26k cost in taxes?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 08, 2006 09:31AM

The tax is reduced 70% for the first $20K in value.

4.57% for the first 20,000 = $914 - 70% = 274.20
4.57% for the next 6,000 = $274.20

Total = $548.40

Coffee still hasn't hit but I think that is right.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: August 08, 2006 09:52AM

I thought they were phasing out the 70% reduction. This could be the start of it.

Posted by: Pay up sucker ()
Date: March 10, 2019 09:39PM

More and more every year

Posted by: GOP at work ()
Date: March 12, 2019 11:07AM

Republicans in Richmond screw with it, and then, since it’s a county tax, Republicans at the county level can decide not to pass on the full 70%.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.