HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Calls from 703-577
Posted by: FFX Res forever ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:08PM

Does else here keep getting SCAM CALLS from 703-577-XXXX?

It's always that same exchange just the last four digits are different.
Impossible to trace but just sick of these calls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calls from 703-577
Posted by: TXH4K ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:22PM

Same happens to myself also, and I just don't answer them. The telemarketers/scammers think if you see a local number, you will answer. More likely to work in small towns with one or few exchanges, but not so much so in a built up suburban area as No.. VA.

The FCC is trying to deal with caller ID spoofing https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/06/fcc-caller-id-authentication-2019/ . Originally only debt collectors or police department could use it to catch up with criminals, but sadly the tech got into the hands of the bad guys.

From the article 'The FCC chairman has demanded (PDF) the adoption of a robust call authentication system to prevent caller ID spoofing, telling American carriers to implement the technology no later than 2019. Pai has sent letters to the CEOs of 14 voice providers to ask them to conjure up concrete plans to adopt the SHAKEN/STIR framework, which would validate legitimate calls across networks before they reach recipients. That would block spam and scam robocalls from going through, so you don't have to be wary of answering calls anymore. '

Can read more at the web link above.

Posted by: Report it as Spam ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:32PM

A get at least 20 scam calls a day. Thank god for https://www.nomorobo.com/ Works great!

The FBI should hunt down these phone telemarketers and make examples of them.

Posted by: nomorobo ok but ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:44PM

Report it as Spam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A get at least 20 scam calls a day. Thank god for
> https://www.nomorobo.com/ Works great!

Set up nomorobo on an older relatives Verizon FIOS home line. After months of use, worked relatively well, too well actually with too many false positives, where it was blocking appointment reminder calls from local doctors' offices which were recordings. The settings can be tweaked to some extent, but not something a non techy older relative can do.

Posted by: Answering unknown calls limited ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:57PM

If someone calls and not recognize the caller ID and not in my contact list, I do not answer on my mobile (got rid of my landline over a decade ago) with limited exceptions.

* Call is from local hospital. Fair Oaks is 703-391.
* A business contact, say it was a phone job interview, prearranges to call me at a certain time, and it is within +/- 5 minutes of that time.
* Someone calling from same the local phone number a few times within a matter of minutes, as someone who may be in trouble, accident, etc.

Otherwise, if it is important, they leave a voicemail. If they leave a spam marketing voicemail, then I can block that number from leaving a message for up to a year (use ureach.com).

Posted by: FFX Res forever ()
Date: February 20, 2019 07:11PM

Thanks to all.
Now these scammers have sent me text messages. So sick of it.
Of course as much as I WANT to respond I won't.

Posted by: mystic_grace ()
Date: February 22, 2019 01:54AM

Look up on Google or some sites like http://whycall.me and see if people have reported those numbers. I usually just ignore them, or simply block them. These callers are very persistent. They are wasting our time.

Posted by: Caller ID ()
Date: February 22, 2019 09:51AM

If I don't know who is calling - *69 them

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.