HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Being pulled over for speeding, some questions...
Posted by: DanG ()
Date: May 15, 2006 04:40PM

I've had my fair share of speeding tickets so far, 4 in my first 2.5 years (2 while a juvenile) of driving, and I just had some questions.

Q1: Why is it that cops (often) wait to turn on their lights until a couple minutes after following you? Are they checking plates while they follow you (and scare of living shit out of you)?

Q2: My next question is what exactly can cops find about you from inside their car? Ie., do they only have access to your driving point total, and not specific tickets (like my friend has told me)? Or can they see every ticket, point total, and even every warning you've ever receieved?

Q3: My final question is, can a cop give you a speeding ticket even though he doesn't catch you on lidar/radar or "officially" pace you? I ask this because.. (see below)

A cop just gave me a huge break on the fairfax county parkway which would have given me my first suspension. He estimated me going 90 or so, but I'm not sure whether he was just being nice to me or whether he could have really given me a ticket. When talking to me I got the impression he couldn't get an official pace on me (since the cop was "going 90 and still couldn't catch up" to me).

I feel lucky and will reconsider any speeding impulses I have in the near future. Just wanted to see if anyone knew some of these questions I've been wondering about for a while.

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Being pulled over for speeding, some questions...
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 15, 2006 04:57PM

The police in theory have access to the totality of your driving and criminal record from the comfort of the drivers seat, as well as certain administrative info. There is a national central clearinghouse for this info that police can and do use.

I have been told, however, that they usually limit inquiries to local driving stuff and warrants. They'll run the plates of the car, make sure everything is up to date and that there are no outstanding warrants on the owner.

This info may take a while to come up just by itself, as a lot of people use that system, bogging down servers, and radio-based data systems also tend to have a lot of latency. So it makes sense that they would reserve running extended checks of your info, as that would just cause more bogdown on systems I am sure could be more up-to-date than they are.

It is also possible he needed to radio in your info for someone else to look up.

The cop also may be pulling a Gravis on you and trying to see if you take evasive action.

But 90 on the parkway? You're an asshole even bigger than me, dude.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 15, 2006 05:01PM

Yeah, 65-70 is easy on some stretches and that is the flow of traffic, but I have been in the springfield area and had a-holes blow by me, clearly driving dangerously. 90 is way too fast on the parkway under any circumstances.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 15, 2006 06:21PM

DanG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
honestly, this number of 90MPH is bullshit. the reason being that he accelerated from a dead stop to try to catch you. hell, i may put up a chart of the math showing how far off that number really can be. ive had a cop say he had to go 75+ to catch up to me and i was quite sure i wasnt even 10 over the 40MPH limit. if you really want to know the speed of your car, you have to know the distance and amount of time it took to catch up to your car. i got a ticket for that bullshit but fighting it requires a lawyer and lots of money... yes, bullshit. a cop pulled this shit on my sister and $800 later the ticket was defeated. she was pissed off and understood my feelings of the cops fine upstanding work to catch criminals... wait, speeding isnt a crime (unless wreckless blah blah blah).

to avoid tickets i use cruise control, it works well. also to avoid bogus claims about speeding, ive installed a device that records basically all the info about the state of your car. there is a little jack (by the pedals) you can plug a diagnostic adapter tool for your computer, then you just need to record info to a file. (or in my case, a custom board that burns to EPROM (write once only memory))

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>The cop also may be pulling a Gravis on you and
> trying to see if you take evasive action.

no no, sheilds up their evasive manuvers. after that... your best bet is photon torpedos. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: advise ()
Date: March 26, 2017 01:05PM

need to slow down

Posted by: MEdxn ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:29PM

To catch all green lights along the parkway, you have to go 83 mph and also catch the timing at the beginning just right, I have been told.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.