HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
History Of Gallows Road?
Posted by: Jimminy ()
Date: November 10, 2009 07:52AM

Anyone know the history or namesake of Gallows Road (Between Tysons and Merrifield)? Was there an actual hanging gallows or a family named Gallows?

Please, no speculation. I can think of reasons why it might be named that, too. I'm looking for someone who has the actual facts.

Thanks,

J.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: History Of Gallows Road?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 10, 2009 08:00AM

What I've heard:

There were actually gallows in the Freedom Hill area of Tysons Corner, where prisoners were executed.

This makes sense since Freedom Hill is also off of Old Courthouse Road (where the courthouse used to be).

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 10, 2009 08:07AM

http://novaroads.mjhale.com/history/roadnames/index.html

Gallows Road: This road led to the Fairfax County Gallows which were located in the Freedom Hill area near Tyson's Corner. Offenders were tried in Alexandria and then transported on Little River Turnpike and then on Gallows Road to the gallows themselves.

Backlick Road: Got its name over 200 years ago from the salt licks along the road that attracted deer to the area. These deer were hunted by the Powhatan Indians who were early inhabitants of the area. Based on the amount of artifacts found in the areas near Backlick Road, it is believed that the Powhatan Indians had camps in the area. Backlick Road became an important link between the Little River Turnpike and Telegraph Road during the Revolutionary War.

Braddock Road: Named after General Edward Braddock who commanded British and colonial forces in the French and Indian War. General Braddock is said to have used the road that would bear his name to transport his troops and supplies from Alexandria to Winchester and then to a battle against the French Fort Duquesne near what is now Pittsburgh, PA. Legend has it that General Braddock buried cannon full of about $30,000 dollars of gold coin near a portion of the highway. He did this to lighten the load of his wagons after they got stuck in mud. The gold and the cannon have never been found.

Chain Bridge: A bridge was first built at this site in 1797. It was known as "Fall's Bridge" due to its proximity to the Little Falls of Potomac. The bridge was carried away by high water in 1804. A second bridge, suspended by iron chains anchored in stone abutments, was built in 1808. It was this bridge that came to be known as Chain Bridge. The present bridge, built in 1938, does not use chains, but does use masonry piers which photogrpahic evidence shows were in place in the later 1800's. The present retains the name Chain Bridge.

Blessed are the murderous.

Date: November 10, 2009 08:14AM

Thanks! Awesome information. I appreciate it.

J.

Posted by: er hello ()
Date: November 10, 2009 08:44AM

did you not figure it had something to do with a set of gallows? are you fucking braindead

Date: November 10, 2009 08:58AM

er hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> did you not figure it had something to do with a
> set of gallows? are you fucking braindead

There could've easily have been a farm owned by Farmer Gallows near that road long ago. The name doesn't necessarily mean there was an actual gallows there. There's a street in that neighborhood called Wolftrap Road- does that mean there was an actual wolftrap located there long ago? What about Broad St. in Falls Church- is that where broads used to hang out back in the day?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 10, 2009 09:50AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> er hello Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > did you not figure it had something to do with
> a
> > set of gallows? are you fucking braindead
>
>
> There could've easily have been a farm owned by
> Farmer Gallows near that road long ago. The name
> doesn't necessarily mean there was an actual
> gallows there. There's a street in that
> neighborhood called Wolftrap Road- does that mean
> there was an actual wolftrap located there long
> ago? What about Broad St. in Falls Church- is
> that where broads used to hang out back in the
> day?

+1

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: November 10, 2009 09:54AM

Does anyone know how Guinea Road got its name?

I know that the road was called that when the burial ground was sold by the Fitzhugh family.

According to Brian Conley, Guinea Road crossed the Little River Turnpike until around 1920.

Posted by: morons ()
Date: November 10, 2009 10:06AM

Everybody knows Gallows Road was named after Ernest and Julio Gallow!

Hell, the Civil War started after some guys got fucked up on their cheap-ass wine!

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 10, 2009 10:06AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Does anyone know how Guinea Road got its name?
>
> I know that the road was called that when the
> burial ground was sold by the Fitzhugh family.
>
> According to Brian Conley, Guinea Road crossed the
> Little River Turnpike until around 1920.

Can't find anything right yet. Maybe it has to do with the guinea coin? It was an English coin worth 21 shillings, or since there was a large slave population there, maybe it was named after Guinea in west Africa....

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Sweeney Todd ()
Date: November 10, 2009 11:02AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
>

This is the road that Italians traveled on their way to be executed.

To Er Hello
Date: November 10, 2009 11:47AM

"brain dead" is two words, jackass.

Re: To Er Hello
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: November 10, 2009 12:00PM

Actually, it's hyphenated.

Posted by: Historian ()
Date: November 10, 2009 07:44PM

Anyone know the history of Hooking Rd., in McLean?

Posted by: trangert418 ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:10PM

Historian Wrote:
> Anyone know the history of Hooking Rd., in McLean?

Hooking Rd was named after the 1st kegling center in Fairfax County which was built in the late 1800s. In 1936 it was burned to the ground by irate keglers when management changed the color of the rental shoes from blue & green to blue & red. In 1938 a new kegling center was rebuilt on the opposite side of rt 123 on chain bridge rd but Hooking Rd retained it's name for historical purposes. Actually, there is a family that lives on Hooking Rd named Weber, that when they learned the history of the street they lived on, had a kegling lane installed in their basement.

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:15PM

Pope's Head Rd has to have a good story behind it...

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:34PM

I have always laughed about the potential origin of Pohick Rd... If you are old enough to remember that road before the Parkway was even an idea you know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: hm ()
Date: November 14, 2009 09:13PM

yeah, what is the reasoning behind pope head's road? it's the strangest road name that i know of.

Posted by: TefD187 ()
Date: November 14, 2009 11:01PM

hm Wrote:
> yeah, what is the reasoning behind pope head's
> road? it's the strangest road name that i know of.

I gotta say balls road is the weirdest. I always wanted to live on the culdesac of balls road.

Date: November 14, 2009 11:50PM

hm Wrote:
> yeah, what is the reasoning behind pope head's
> road? it's the strangest road name that i know of.

Pope's Head is an old street name in London.

area around Pope's Head
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: November 15, 2009 12:01AM

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/GMP/phe_final_cdp_12-11-03.pdf

During the 18th century, the subject parcels were part of
a large parcel of some 1,200 acres owned and named by
Edward Payne. His holdings comprised lands along
Popes Head Creek and Piney Branch. According to
local historical records, Payne also built a small
gristmill. While the date of the original mill is uncertain,
it appears that it was built sometime between 1790 and
1804. The first historical mention of the mill was in
1815 in a sales notice for Hope Park by Dr. David Stuart
who purchased Hope Park from Payne in 1785.
The property remained intact until 1822, some 8 years
after Dr. Stuart’s death in 1814. In 1822, 383 acres of
Hope Park were “conveyed away”. In 1825, an
additional 220 acres were purchased by Ellzey T. Sheid,
who later divided this parcel (Deed Book Liber T-3,
page 67), on September 15, 1852. The farthest western
extent of this property ended at Piney Branch, and
contains most of the parcels that make up this portion of
park. These parcels are adjacent to the properties of
John Barnes, Sr., who purchased Hope Park in February
of 1838. At that time, the plantation was in a terrible
state. The Barnes family restored Hope Park when the
Orange and Alexandria Railroad extended west into the
Pope’s Head Creek Valley. The railroad provided the
local farming economy an instrument for getting harvest
to a larger market that boosted the local economy. The
large Barnes parcels were subdivided to his heirs in
1853 (Deed Book S-3, p. 375).
Further subdivision of these parcels resulted in the adjacent

Posted by: Deon ()
Date: May 19, 2011 06:34PM

Read the story of Blackbeard and you will know how it got it's name..

Posted by: MC2 ()
Date: May 19, 2011 10:29PM

Can anyone explain where 'Annandale' came from?

Date: May 19, 2011 10:33PM

Annandale is a Korean word for "pork fried rice".

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: history ()
Date: May 19, 2011 10:35PM

MC2 Wrote:
> Can anyone explain where 'Annandale' came from?

http://annandale.va.us/history.html

Annandale is unique in that its history can be traced directly to the pre-Revolutionary period, when, in 1685, an Englishman by the name of Col. William H. Fitzhugh purchased over 24,000 acres of land and his descendants later named the tract "Ravensworth." From an untamed wilderness, Fitzhugh converted the land into one of the largest tobacco plantations in Northern Virginia.

For over six generations, members of the Fitzhugh family farmed at Ravensworth, slowly selling off portions of the land. It was not until 1830 that the plantation name was no longer used. In its place the community was named Annandale, after the Scottish village located at the mouth of the Annan River.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:38PM

Thanks. For the longest time I thought it was named after a couple.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:48PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> Annandale is a Korean word for "pork fried rice".

I don't get it. Pork fried rice is a Chinese thing.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 19, 2011 10:50PM

Guinea Rd - cause the end of it was at a toll booth on the Little River Turnpike and it cost a Guinea (old type of coin) to pay to get thru the toll booth

Popes Head Rd - named after the creek - which is the Popes Head (start) of the Bull Run - named after the Civil War General

Date: May 19, 2011 10:50PM

Are you saying they do not eat pork and they do not eat rice in Korea?

Date: May 19, 2011 10:56PM

They eat this pork http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samgyeopsal
They eat this rice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamed_rice

They do not eat pork fried rice.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:56PM

have you been to Korea?

Date: May 19, 2011 10:59PM

Yes, I lived there for a few years.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:59PM

http://www.trifood.com/kimchibokumbop.asp

Date: May 19, 2011 11:03PM

Meh. That's different.

Date: May 19, 2011 11:08PM

Did you really google Korean fried rice to prove me wrong?

Date: May 19, 2011 11:09PM

no it was one of my favorites.

Date: May 19, 2011 11:13PM

Oh ok. Same here. I ate it almost everyday back in college. Cheap and tasty.

Posted by: lilbuckeroo ()
Date: May 20, 2011 02:52PM

I thought some of the postings (and hence the posters) were ridiculous. But as I neared the end of the page I suddenly realized I had just read it all so what did that make me? Certainly no better..... lol

Posted by: Historian ()
Date: May 21, 2011 06:54AM

I found this online too...

Gallows Road: This road led to the Fairfax County Gallows which were located in the Freedom Hill area near Tyson's Corner. Offenders were tried in Alexandria and then transported on Little River Turnpike and then on Gallows Road to the gallows themselves.

Date: May 21, 2011 09:24AM

you know, nobody knows where the original Courthouse and gallows were located exactly - it's supposed to be where that building with the big "O" ring is now, in at the 123/Old Courthouse Rd intersection is but I dont think they ever found the cornerstone or anything like that...................

Posted by: J Q Marr ()
Date: May 21, 2011 10:18AM

Pure speculation, but I remember reading about the current courthouse, and when it was built it was a big deal that it was made of brick and stone. Perhaps the old court house was a wooden structure, and no cornerstone or lasting imprint in the ground would be found. The gallows definitely would have been made from timber as well.

Re: History Of Popes Head Road?
Posted by: Nightmare on Pope Head Road 1940 ()
Date: June 23, 2011 12:11PM

My grandparents owned a 145 acre Farm on Pope Head Road back in the early 1930's. My grandfather was a famous Architect back in his time named Milton Bennett Medary. They had a barn outback of their White Farm House that all the men would hang out in late at night and party and talk while my mom said she would sit at the window with her mom and baby brother and watch. They where never allowed to go back there. They bought the 145 acre Farmhouse with no electricity or running water at the time. They had horses and nannies for each child.

One day my grandmother was coming back home and driving up a very steep hill with my mom at age 7yrs old at the time, named Pope Head Road when a Milk Truck with a kid driving it flew over the hill and hit straight on into my grandmothers car causing my mom to fly through the windshield. My grandmother and my mom where in Critical condition. My mom actually lost part of her scull and piece of her lip and cutting up her face leaving a huge/ deep scar completely down the whole side of her face.
The doctors said she may not live. My grandfather got live in nurses to care for both my mom 7yrs old and my grandmother around the clock. They both slowly healed, but mom with years of therapy and had withstand-ed brain damage which caused her to loose memory back to the age two. She had to start all over again as if she was never seven, but 2. She hated herself and everyone for the way they treated her. Here mother and father sold the 145 acre farm, but a few acres they gave to the nannies and servants that help them for years on the land including giving them my moms horse and a few other live stock to start them out on. They then moved back to Philadelphia and then putting my mom in a school in Florida and hiding her away from society because they where ashamed of the way she looked and they did not want her to interfere with there rich popular life style. My mom was angry and hurt. I found notes from the school in my moms drawer after she passed stating that my mom really needed clothes and shoes and the teach saying what she wanted for Christmas and how much she missed everyone. It made me cry to read this letter from so long ago that my mom never let go. It explains why she was treated so bad for so many years.. My mom said when she was living in Florida later with her mom that she would go to the library and teach herself how to read because her mother did not think she was capable. She was running a high fever and very sick and her friends would sneak over to care for her. When my mom tried to have a relationship as she got into her teens her mom would chase them off or pay them to leave. My mom then ran from home at 21yrs old after she got word that she may be put away again and her mom tried saying she was harmful to herself. She jumped into her Dodge and took until she got a flat. She walked to a gas station along the road to where she met my dad. She had no choose but to get someone in her life and seduced my dad and later marrying him and had us three children so her mother could not commit her into a Crazy House..my mom put it. All her life she read books and took coursed just to prove she was as smart and capable of working and caring as anyone else could. My mom to me is "MY HERO" And this story was just a fraction of my moms life as being a hidden Child from Society from age 7 years old. She escaped one nightmare and had to live a safer nightmare with my dad until she passed away at 71yrs old. I never understood all the times I would see my my crying growing up until I read her story and letters she held onto for so many years and the story she told me 2 weeks before passing away in my home with Hospice by my side. I fell in love all over again with my Hero and Mother Olga Jacoba Medary.. I would like to know if anyone has any information on how I can find the records on my grandmothers accident and exact date and if any news paper articles and where. Thank you.. Cathy... A book was also written about my grandmother as a Artist with some of the History about ope head Road..

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: June 23, 2011 12:20PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
>
From anti-Italian racists and Jews!

Posted by: don't go there ()
Date: June 23, 2011 12:59PM

Great Falls has the Ole Dirt Road.

'C'mon honey, let me take you for a spin on the ole dirt road'

Posted by: Your Daddy ()
Date: June 23, 2011 10:20PM

Jimminy Wrote:
> Anyone know the history or namesake of Gallows
> Road (Between Tysons and Merrifield)? Was there an
> actual hanging gallows or a family named Gallows?
>
> Please, no speculation. I can think of reasons why
> it might be named that, too. I'm looking for
> someone who has the actual facts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

this was taught in 4th grade history in the later part of the 20th century...WTF has happened to our schools?

Posted by: Darren ()
Date: October 27, 2011 11:36AM

Blackbeards crew was hanged there and the road was changed from Capitol Landing Rd to Gallows Rd. The remaining 13 pirates were hanged and left to rot in gibbets along Williamsburg's Capitol Landing Road (later known as Gallows Road).
Source was Blackbeard the Pirate (2002 ed.), North Carolina: John F. Blair

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:27PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> you know, nobody knows where the original
> Courthouse and gallows were located exactly - it's
> supposed to be where that building with the big
> "O" ring is now, in at the 123/Old Courthouse Rd
> intersection is but I dont think they ever found
> the cornerstone or anything like
> that...................

You mean the Toilet Bowl Building? (I've lived here since the mid-1970s and everyone I know calls it that.) It makes sense that the old courthouse would have been located there if the street is named Old Courthouse Road and there's no other street nearby named "Courthouse Road" (which would suggest the "Old" referred to the old routing). Old Courthouse used to go through to meet Gallows Road at what is now the corner of Old Gallows Road and Gallows Branch Road, but when they reconfigured all that back in the late 1980s, around the time of the mall's expansion, Old Courthouse was truncated to its current end at the crossroads with Aline Avenue.

Posted by: kel ()
Date: March 05, 2012 10:25AM

I've read that Blackbeard's Crew was hanged in Williamsburg, VA, not Falls Church.
Lots of fun stuff in this thread though, I read it all.

Posted by: Teen Wolf Too ()
Date: March 05, 2012 02:57PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
There's a street in that
> neighborhood called Wolftrap Road- does that mean
> there was an actual wolftrap located there long
> ago?

Yes. Wolves were a serious problem in colonial times. Virginia paid 20 shillings per wolf killed.

Date: April 07, 2012 01:10PM

Nightmare on Pope Head Road 1940 Wrote:
> My grandparents owned a 145 acre Farm on Pope Head
> Road back in the early 1930's. My grandfather was
> a famous Architect back in his time named Milton
> Bennett Medary. They had a barn outback of their
> White Farm House that all the men would hang out
> in late at night and party and talk while my mom
> said she would sit at the window with her mom and
> baby brother and watch. They where never allowed
> to go back there. They bought the 145 acre
> Farmhouse with no electricity or running water at
> the time. They had horses and nannies for each
> child.
>
> One day my grandmother was coming back home and
> driving up a very steep hill with my mom at age
> 7yrs old at the time, named Pope Head Road when a
> Milk Truck with a kid driving it flew over the
> hill and hit straight on into my grandmothers car
> causing my mom to fly through the windshield. My
> grandmother and my mom where in Critical
> condition. My mom actually lost part of her scull
> and piece of her lip and cutting up her face
> leaving a huge/ deep scar completely down the
> whole side of her face.
> The doctors said she may not live. My grandfather
> got live in nurses to care for both my mom 7yrs
> old and my grandmother around the clock. They both
> slowly healed, but mom with years of therapy and
> had withstand-ed brain damage which caused her to
> loose memory back to the age two. She had to start
> all over again as if she was never seven, but 2.
> She hated herself and everyone for the way they
> treated her. Here mother and father sold the 145
> acre farm, but a few acres they gave to the
> nannies and servants that help them for years on
> the land including giving them my moms horse and a
> few other live stock to start them out on. They
> then moved back to Philadelphia and then putting
> my mom in a school in Florida and hiding her away
> from society because they where ashamed of the way
> she looked and they did not want her to interfere
> with there rich popular life style. My mom was
> angry and hurt. I found notes from the school in
> my moms drawer after she passed stating that my
> mom really needed clothes and shoes and the teach
> saying what she wanted for Christmas and how much
> she missed everyone. It made me cry to read this
> letter from so long ago that my mom never let go.
> It explains why she was treated so bad for so many
> years.. My mom said when she was living in Florida
> later with her mom that she would go to the
> library and teach herself how to read because her
> mother did not think she was capable. She was
> running a high fever and very sick and her friends
> would sneak over to care for her. When my mom
> tried to have a relationship as she got into her
> teens her mom would chase them off or pay them to
> leave. My mom then ran from home at 21yrs old
> after she got word that she may be put away again
> and her mom tried saying she was harmful to
> herself. She jumped into her Dodge and took until
> she got a flat. She walked to a gas station along
> the road to where she met my dad. She had no
> choose but to get someone in her life and seduced
> my dad and later marrying him and had us three
> children so her mother could not commit her into a
> Crazy House..my mom put it. All her life she read
> books and took coursed just to prove she was as
> smart and capable of working and caring as anyone
> else could. My mom to me is "MY HERO" And this
> story was just a fraction of my moms life as being
> a hidden Child from Society from age 7 years old.
> She escaped one nightmare and had to live a safer
> nightmare with my dad until she passed away at
> 71yrs old. I never understood all the times I
> would see my my crying growing up until I read her
> story and letters she held onto for so many years
> and the story she told me 2 weeks before passing
> away in my home with Hospice by my side. I fell in
> love all over again with my Hero and Mother Olga
> Jacoba Medary.. I would like to know if anyone has
> any information on how I can find the records on
> my grandmothers accident and exact date and if any
> news paper articles and where. Thank you..
> Cathy... A book was also written about my
> grandmother as a Artist with some of the History
> about ope head Road..

I hope you actually get this answer - have you gone to the Virginia Room at the Main Library in the city? That's more than likely the best place to get what you are looking for...........either that or check with the FCPD Archivist. Good luck. Yr mom sounded pretty awesome

Posted by: MikeyP ()
Date: January 12, 2013 02:06AM

As far as the "Toilet Bowl Building" goes, I cant imagine who greenlighted that design. I mean c'mon dude you didnt see that?

From what I've read, the Courthouse in Old Courthouse road was somewhere in that area, the Gallows was on a hill further down what is now Gallows Road.

I've never heard that the Fairfax County Courthouse was in Annandale; does anyone have anything that backs that up? I was always under the impression that the Old Courthouse was near Old Courthouse.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: GettinOld ()
Date: March 19, 2013 03:49AM

Gallows Road was the road to the Gallows, from the Courthouse. People were tried at the county courthouse, not in Alexandria, and were taken to the gallows to be hung. The courthouse was located near what later came to be called Freedom Hill during the time that Fairfax County encompassed both modern Fairfax and Loudoun counties. When Loudoun became a separate county the courthouse was moved to its present location. The location of the old courthouse was more centrally located on the main trade route of the county in those days (the Leesburg Pike), and the Tysons area is also the highest point in the county, with the radio tower near Tysons II sitting on the highest very highest spot,above Freedom Hill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 03:58AM by GettinOld.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:23AM

Guinea Rd,

Not sure how it became named but it crossed the tracks at the End of Sideburn Rd not presently at Roberts, or formerly between Target and the VRE Station but further up, it came out where Premier Court is.

HEY GORDO!! This is History of GALLOWS, not Guinea LoLz
Date: March 25, 2013 07:58AM

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_%28British_coin%29
Where guinea hits the Turnpike, there used to be a toll booth. It cost a guinea to get thru it. I think that's why it's called Prosperity Ave too, cause of the tollboth. But I may be wrong about that one LoLz

2) Fred's Oak Dr at the Fairfax County Parkway is where Guinea Road used to end. Hard to believe, eh? Ever better, the Parkway used to acutally be Pohick Rd at that point LoLz. It used to go all the way to 123. Anyways, that's why Fred's Oak get's access to the parkway and why the county has that facility there.

3) Before the BCP was built, they were gonna realign Guinea to pop out at 123 opposite that little shopping center where the Fairfax Station post office is.

remember the first Guinea Roundabout with the tires? and how the buses would get all effed up on them?

I also remember all y'all down there losing yr minds when they scraped that little forest away to make yr Target - I bet y'all have ALL FORGOTTEN about that forest by now ha ha ha ha ha!!! Sometimes the Lorax is wrong cause y'all DEFINATELY love that Target more than you did that forest LoLz

Re: HEY GORDO!! This is History of GALLOWS, not Guinea LoLz
Posted by: likes a nice story ()
Date: March 25, 2013 08:37AM

Nice story, and I'll probably use it. I'm not one to let implausability stop me.

A guinea was a hell of a lot of money for a road toll. It is (was?) a pound and an shilling, back when stealing something worth two shillings was a hanging offense.

Re: HEY GORDO!! This is History of GALLOWS, not Guinea LoLz
Posted by: Cnic ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:40AM

Decent thread. Thanks for bringing around again.

Posted by: Just Another Old Fart ()
Date: March 25, 2013 10:05AM

An alternative theory I have heard about the origins of Guinea Road is that it derived its name because it led to the shanties where slaves for the Ravensworth plantation were housed. Africa was sometimes referred to as "Guinea" in those days. There is still a small country in Africa that bears this name. The descendants of those slaves ended up establishing a small community called Ilda, where Guinea Road crosses Little River Turnpike. A cemetery was discovered and relocated there a few years ago and a historical marker was added to mark the spot.

Posted by: Geez i'm old ()
Date: March 25, 2013 03:02PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> Guinea Rd,
>
> Not sure how it became named but it crossed the
> tracks at the End of Sideburn Rd not presently at
> Roberts, or formerly between Target and the VRE
> Station but further up, it came out where Premier
> Court is.

Close, but no cigar.

Guinea and Sideburn were 2 separate rr crossings. Remember, New Guinea Road did not exist at that time.

Sideburn turned to gravel somewhere South of Zion Dr. and crossed the tracks hwere it deadends into them now. It continued straight for a quarter mile, or so, and deadended into Guinea Road.

Guinea Road turned to gravel past the end of Zion Dr. and crossed the tracks at the crossing that existed until thy built the Roberts Pkwy. overpass in the early 2000s.

After crossing the tracks it bent right onto the alignment that is now Premier Ct., passed an intersection with Poburn rd. (1 lane dirt, that was obliterated by Lake Barton and Burke Center), paralelled the tracks to it's intersection with Sideburn RD., then turned Southwest and meandered through the woods to its end at Pohick rd. near 123.

Guinea rd. past the end of Premier Ct. and the part of SideBurn south of the tracks were also obliterated by the Burke Center development Jugernaut. (thanks, Til Hazel!) The area was much prettier in those days.

Posted by: Geez i'm old ()
Date: March 25, 2013 03:09PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> Guinea Rd,
>
> Not sure how it became named but it crossed the
> tracks at the End of Sideburn Rd not presently at
> Roberts, or formerly between Target and the VRE
> Station but further up, it came out where Premier
> Court is.

Close, but no cigar.

Guinea and Sideburn were 2 separate rr crossings. Remember, New Guinea Road did not exist at that time.

Sideburn turned to gravel somewhere South of Zion Dr. and crossed the tracks hwere it deadends into them now. It continued straight for a quarter mile, or so, and deadended into Guinea Road.

Guinea Road turned to gravel past the end of Zion Dr. and crossed the tracks at the crossing that existed until thy built the Roberts Pkwy. overpass in the early 2000s.

After crossing the tracks it bent right onto the alignment that is now Premier Ct., passed an intersection with Poburn rd. (1 lane dirt, that was obliterated by Lake Barton and Burke Center), paralelled the tracks to it's intersection with Sideburn RD., then turned Southwest and meandered through the woods to its end at Pohick rd. near 123.

Guinea rd. past the end of Premier Ct. and the part of SideBurn south of the tracks were also obliterated by the Burke Center development Jugernaut. (thanks, Til Hazel!) The area was much prettier in those days, I wish it still was..

Posted by: levallon ()
Date: June 21, 2013 08:50PM

Mikey P. The "toilet bowl building," is also known as Tycon Courthouse. It was designed by a very egotistical architect named Oscar Carlyle. The next time you go by there, look at the flagstones and you will see the letters "Oc" with the 'c' smaller and to the right.

I used to work at the Friday's that used to be there and the building engineer told us the story. There was never a court there -- just Friday's, Hunan Lion, Dominion Bank and some security or defense company on the top floor. I don't know what's there now.

Posted by: HGD9b ()
Date: June 23, 2013 12:34AM

levallon Wrote:
> I used to work at the Friday's that used to be there and the building engineer told us the story.
> There was never a court there -- just Friday's, > Hunan Lion, Dominion Bank and some security or defense company on the top floor.

I think you've misunderstood the fact that there might have been a courthouse there about 270 years ago. (It and the gallows were somewhere in the general vicinity back then. Nobody knows quite where.)

Posted by: Anonymous1 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 09:09PM

Reading this thread made me lose hope in Fairfax once again. Thanks, guys.

Posted by: Travel'r ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:27AM

What's the story on Hooes Rd.? Looks a lot like Hoe. Is it the future first person plural?

Date: June 30, 2013 09:30AM

Sweeney Todd Wrote:
> GMU Hokie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone know how Guinea Road got its name?
> >
>
> This is the road that Italians traveled on their
> way to be executed.

Youse never take me alive you fargin' ice holes!

Date: June 30, 2013 09:31AM

Huntington Wrote:
> I have always laughed about the potential origin
> of Pohick Rd... If you are old enough to remember
> that road before the Parkway was even an idea you
> know what I'm talking about.

And it's sister town Pomonkey

Posted by: bend overly ()
Date: June 30, 2013 08:02PM

the history of sleepy hollow road...the klan had a presence there in the 1930's

Posted by: Jeff G. ()
Date: August 08, 2013 07:38PM

What an asshole

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 09, 2013 08:47AM

Travel'r Wrote:
> And it's sister town Pomonkey

It is named for a Virginia Indian tribe. The more common spelling is Paumunkey. BTW the tribe still exists in Virginia owning land southeast of Fredricksburg.

Posted by: Ho ()
Date: August 09, 2013 10:08AM

Travel'r Wrote:
> What's the story on Hooes Rd.? Looks a lot like
> Hoe. Is it the future first person plural?

The Hooe family owned a lot of land in Prince William County. Part of the Manassas battlefield and the Mayfield fort in Manassas was Hooe land.

One of their modern day descendants is, appropriately enough, Paris Hilton (who is also related to George Mason).

Posted by: irvingbaby ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:08PM

What about Hummer Road? How unfortunate for the (I presume?) descendants of the Hummer family that "hummer" has another meaning now.

And can anyone explain the awfully confusing convergence of Annandale Road, Gallows Road, and Hummer Road? There's a short area where each one abruptly ends, turns and/or merges together that is maddening the first few times you experience it!

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:53PM

"awfully confusing convergence of Annandale Road, Gallows Road, and Hummer Road?"

Sure. You can't get here from there...

Ok, the long story - following Gallows Road south into Annandale, it forked at Trammel - one leg to Annandale road, the other south into Annandale. A bit past that was an intersection with what would be Hummer road, and then just a few yards further was the intersection (fork) with Annandale Road.

Over time, and with development, the intersections were changed and merged. Trammel Road no longer crosses Gallows (though the other side is still there - turn off onto Mason??? and look sharp left - there's a paved "private" street that is the old Trammel Road - that's why those older houses don't "face" Gallows).

Eventually, someone decided that having two intersections just a few yards apart was silly, so the end of Hummer road was moved to intersect with Gallows & Annandale, making one intersection.

So, why the "ramp" onto Annandale Road going North? Simple. Most (ok, almost all) people were headed that way. It's 1950 - who's driving out Gallows Road?

Posted by: irvingbaby ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:24PM

What about Gatehouse Road? Currently it's a pretty short road that starts around the intersection of Rt. 50 & Prosperity Ave., then dead-ends at an apartment complex by Telestar Ct. (a super short road that connects to Porter / Strawberry, which in turn connects to Lee / Gallows).

I wonder if the name "Gatehouse" also ties in to the toll booth thing?

Posted by: McLean Hokie ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:49PM

The toilet bowl is aka the omega building. You can see the"feet" when you actually enter the building. My dad worked there for 20 years with the treasury dept. However, you can't the"feet" from 123, making it looking unfortunately like a toilet seat up from the road

Posted by: Ralph DeMattia ()
Date: October 14, 2013 03:44PM

During the American revolution, between August 1777 and June 1778, a brutal British Dragoon Captain named Nigel Tarleton supposedly hanged while still alive (He had them lifted off the ground by the rope around their necks, not dropped as hanging executions are supposed to be done) over 350 Colonial prisoners without trial, and reputedly had colonists suspected of assisting local militias herded into buildings, then set the buildings on fire and burned the peopole alive. He was captured by Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox) on February 15th and hung him, also mwithout trial, but with several witnesses stating who he was. I have studied this story for many years and larned this information mostly through letters and diaries, as very little is officially written in book form.

Posted by: Pika ()
Date: October 15, 2013 11:48PM

Why is it called the toilet bowl building? Anybody

Posted by: Capt Obvious ()
Date: October 16, 2013 04:05PM

Pika Wrote:
> Why is it called the toilet bowl building? Anybody

Seriously? Look at it...
Attachments:
tbb.jpg

Posted by: GallowsPole ()
Date: October 16, 2013 07:39PM

Hang man, hang man, hold it a little while!
I think I see my friends coming, riding many miles.

Friends, did you bring some silver?
Did you bring a little gold?
What did you bring me my dear friends?
To keep me from the gallows pole.

Posted by: Myself ()
Date: January 05, 2014 10:30AM

Can anyone guide me to the where abouts I can find information or documents on this car accident? It would greatly e appreciated! I am writing a book on my moms life and journey....Thank you!

Posted by: A.D.Alber ()
Date: August 26, 2014 07:32PM

the story was told to me by more than one source and is widely known there is a small white church on Gallows road with a large oak, that was the hang in' tree and picnics were prepared and citizens went in wagons to see the deed done. it was thought to deter crime and be a social lesson, this is widely published in our local histories and in the Post and other newspapers....but people come here from far away places and have not heard the story yet.

Date: August 26, 2014 07:48PM

Ralph DeMattia Wrote:
> During the American revolution, between August
> 1777 and June 1778, a brutal British Dragoon
> Captain named Nigel Tarleton supposedly hanged
> while still alive (He had them lifted off the
> ground by the rope around their necks, not dropped
> as hanging executions are supposed to be done)
> over 350 Colonial prisoners without trial, and
> reputedly had colonists suspected of assisting
> local militias herded into buildings, then set the
> buildings on fire and burned the peopole alive. He
> was captured by Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox) on
> February 15th and hung him, also mwithout trial,
> but with several witnesses stating who he was. I
> have studied this story for many years and larned
> this information mostly through letters and
> diaries, as very little is officially written in
> book form.

Never happened.

Posted by: PopesHeadIndianHead ()
Date: August 26, 2014 09:58PM

How about Bradlick Road? Much morse than Backlick.

Posted by: Brad Parker ()
Date: September 23, 2014 02:56PM

Unless you're named Brad...

Posted by: sher ()
Date: November 19, 2014 04:31PM

Lmao

Posted by: rtyhgf ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:27PM

How about Shirley gate red? Another toll gate?

Posted by: Robert Humbert ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:35PM

Down in Richmond there's the Powhite Parkway. Always wondered if the origin of that was as obvious as it sounds.

Posted by: Robert Humbert ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:43PM

It's always amused me, too, that there's a street off Gallows Road called Hemlock Lane. To live at the corner of Gallows and Hemlock...execution versus suicide!

Posted by: Alicia A. ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:53PM

Hanging by having the rope pulled by people or perhaps a horse was the standard method for quite some time. The "drop" method that we associate with hanging is a fairly modern technique and requires much more skill. It has to do with calculating the weight of the "client" to determine the length of the drop...otherwise the person's head would be severed from the body if the "drop" is too far.

Posted by: Cathy Lindner ()
Date: December 11, 2014 11:20AM

Nightmare on Pope Head Road 1940 Wrote:
> My grandparents owned a 145 acre Farm on Pope Head
> Road back in the early 1930's. My grandfather was
> a famous Architect and also worked at the Pentagon. His name was Milton
> Bennett Medary 3rd .
They had a barn outback of their
> White Farm House that all the men would hang out
> in late at night and party on the weekends, and talk while my mom
> said she would sit at the window with her mom and
> baby brother and watch. They where never allowed
> to go back there. They bought the 145 acre
> Farmhouse with no electricity or running water at
> the time. They had horses and nannies for each
> child.
>
> One day my grandmother was coming back home and
> driving up a very steep hill with my mom at age
> 7yrs old at the time, named Pope Head Road when a
> Milk Truck with a kid driving it flew over the
> hill and hit straight on into my grandmothers car
> causing my mom to fly through the windshield. My
> grandmother and my mom where in Critical
> condition. My mom actually lost part of her scull
> and piece of her lip and cutting up her face
> leaving a huge/ deep scar completely down the
> whole side of her face.
> The doctors said she may not live. My grandfather
> got live in nurses to care for both my mom 7yrs
> old and my grandmother around the clock. They both
> slowly healed, but mom with years of therapy and
> had withstand-ed brain damage which caused her to
> loose memory back to the age two. She had to start
> all over again as if she was never seven, but 2.
> She hated herself and everyone for the way they
> treated her. Here mother and father sold the 145
> acre farm, but a few acres they gave to the
> nannies and servants that help them for years on
> the land including giving them my moms horse and a
> few other live stock to start them out on. They
> then moved back to Philadelphia and then putting
> my mom in a school in Florida and hiding her away
> from society because they where ashamed of the way
> she looked and they did not want her to interfere
> with there rich popular life style. My mom was
> angry and hurt. I found notes from the school in
> my moms drawer after she passed stating that my
> mom really needed clothes and shoes and the teach
> saying what she wanted for Christmas and how much
> she missed everyone. It made me cry to read this
> letter from so long ago that my mom never let go.
> It explains why she was treated so bad for so many
> years.. My mom said when she was living in Florida
> later with her mom that she would go to the
> library and teach herself how to read because her
> mother did not think she was capable. She was
> running a high fever and very sick and her friends
> would sneak over to care for her. When my mom
> tried to have a relationship as she got into her
> teens her mom would chase them off or pay them to
> leave. My mom then ran from home at 21yrs old
> after she got word that she may be put away again
> and her mom tried saying she was harmful to
> herself. She jumped into her Dodge, her father had bought her and drove until
> her car tire had gotten a flat. She walked to a gas station along
> the road to where she met a man, (who would later be my dad). She had no
> choose but to get someone in her life and seduced
> this man and later marrying him and had us three
> children so her mother could not commit her into a
> Crazy House.Words from my mom. All her life she read
> books and taken course after course just to prove she was as
> smart and capable of working and caring for others as anyone
> else could. My mom to me is "MY HERO" And this
> story was just a fraction of my moms life as being
> a hidden Child from Society from age 7 years old.
> She escaped one nightmare and had to live another
> nightmare with my dad until she passed away at
> 71yrs old. I never understood all the times I
> would see my my crying growing up until I read her
> story and letters she held onto for so many years
> and the story she told me 2 weeks before passing
> away in my home with Hospice by my side. I fell in
> love all over again with my Hero and Mother Olga
> Jacoba Medary.. I would like to know if anyone has
> any information on how I can find the records on
> my grandmothers accident and exact date and if any
> news paper articles and where. Thank you..
> Cathy... A book was also written about my
> grandmother as a Artist with some of the History
> about ope head Road..

Posted by: Maybe both... ()
Date: December 11, 2014 02:18PM

GettinOld Wrote:
> Gallows Road was the road to the Gallows, from the
> Courthouse. People were tried at the county
> courthouse, not in Alexandria...

Per wikipedia...

Fairfax County built its first courthouse in 1742 at a site called "Spring Field", which is near present-day Tysons Corner. By the middle of the eighteenth century, the city of Alexandria, Virginia, had established itself as one of the major ports of the region for coastal and oceangoing ships, and in the year 1752, the courthouse for the Fairfax County court system moved there. In November of 1789, realizing the County of Fairfax was in need of a new courthouse building, a legislative petition was arranged in Alexandria. The petition requested the courthouse be placed in the center of Fairfax County, a more convenient location for citizens of the area, in order to promote trade and commerce. Shortly after, the court ordered that the sheriff collect thirty-five cents for each taxable person in Fairfax County to pay for the construction of the new courthouse.

Posted by: Big government... ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:19PM

Maybe both... Wrote:
> In November of 1789, realizing the County of Fairfax
> was in need of a new courthouse building...

The reason the County was in need of a new building was that the land in Alexandra on which the County Courthouse stood was part of what was to be ceded away to form the new District of Columbia.

What then became the new courthouse (and is now the Historic Old Courthouse in downtown Fairfax City) included a gallows of its own. No more hauling condemned people from either "Spring Fields" or Alexandria.

Posted by: Pajama Boy Feelings 4 Xmas ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:25PM

OP

Pajamaboy_2.jpg?1387564806

Posted by: Jj27U ()
Date: December 11, 2014 03:31PM

How about Blowing Rock Road? This street is located in the Riverside Estates community in Mt. Vernon.

Posted by: jt ()
Date: March 12, 2015 05:22PM

From the Fairfax County historical brochure and noted on Wikopedia

"Gallows Road, which today is a major commuter route, but at the time was the road where condemned prisoners were led to the gallows at the old courthouse.[9]"

"In 1752, the courthouse was moved to Alexandria, which offered to build the new courthouse at their own expense. (The reason the courthouse was moved from the Tyson's Corner location was because of "Indian hostilities" as noted on the stone marker at the northwest corner of Gallows Road and Route 123.) The courthouse operated there until 1790, when Virginia ceded the land where the courthouse was located for the creation of Washington, DC. The General Assembly specified that the new courthouse should be located in the center of the county, and was established at the corner of Old Little River Turnpike (now Main Street) and Ox Road (now Chain Bridge Road) on land donated by town founder Richard Ratcliffe.[10]"

Posted by: Second look... ()
Date: December 18, 2015 09:55AM

There is no intersection of Gallows Road and Route 123. There is also no actual record of any judicial hanging in the vicinity of the Spring Fields courthouse, which was most likely located in the vicinity of today's Koons auto dealership.

It would be important to remember that the population of Fairfax County was a mere 12,000 even by 1790 (it would not reach 20,000 until 1910), and that the court at Spring Fields did not have jurisdiction over capital cases involving whites. Sizable portions of the court's records from that era were later lost to fire, and records would not likely have been prepared for the execution of non-whites to begin with. As the result, about the only thing that can be conclusively said is that there is no surviving documentation of any execution there at all.

It might be noted as well that there were no meatpacking plants operating in the mid-1700's, and that the vertical racks on which hogs, sheep, and cattle were strung up and butchered were also called gallows. It's entirely possible that this other meaning of the word is the one that lies behind the name of the road.

Posted by: Historiatition ()
Date: December 18, 2015 11:27AM

It was named after Bob Gallows, founder of Manassas Video Club. Prior to the road name change (in 1996), it was called Larry Hagman Blvd.

Date: December 18, 2015 12:48PM

The road had the name "Gallows Road" even before the Civil War. Second look is correct that Gallows Road does not actually intersect with 123. However it does intersect with Old Courthouse, which is also a very old road.

Some mid-1800s maps seem to indicate that Old Courthouse originally extended beyond Gallows and linked up with Magarity at Route 7, but that alignment seems to have been changed by the 1890s.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: December 20, 2015 07:58AM

I was once on the phone with the insurance company after a visit to Inova Fairfax Hospital. After she looked it up she asked me in disbelief, "Is that hospital really on a road called Gallows Road?"

Posted by: Second look... ()
Date: December 20, 2015 05:06PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> The road had the name "Gallows Road" even before the Civil War.
> Second look is correct that Gallows Road does not actually
> intersect with 123. However it does intersect with Old Courthouse,
> which is also a very old road.

Not much of an excuse for the multiple reference errors. Some sources go so far as to cite the "northwest corner" of the non-existent intersection.

Meanwhile, both Gallows and Old courthouse have been moved around some over more recent years. Gallows formerly just kept going straight up what is now Kidwell Drive until it hit Leesburg Pike. It was rerouted to follow what is now Old Gallows Road when the Beltway interchange was built. Tysons caused the next change, as International Drive was extended across Route-7 and then ran along what had been Old Courthouse, except that the name was changed to Gallows and the orphaned bit of what had been rerouted Gallows became Old Gallows. Planned roads designed to move future Tysons traffic off to the original Gallows or to 267 will likely change the layout yet again.

Old Courthouse meanwhile had also been a straight line extending from 123 across to where it hit the original Gallows Road in the vicinity of SAIC. Over on the north side of 123, Old Courthouse did not formerly have the kink to lead over to Gosnell, and Gosnell itself did not go all the way through to connect 7 and 123.

Re: area around Pope's Head
Posted by: Cathy ()
Date: December 15, 2016 07:57AM

My moms parents owned 145 acres on Pope Head Road and had horses, cows and a huge farm with a big old Barn that my grandfather had men come over and hang out in. Locals I'm guessing. This was around 1930's or early 1940's

Their name was Milton Bennett Medary and Rhoda Myers Medary with 2 children Olga Jacoba and Milton Bennett Medary 3rd.
Can you see that on the Deed anywhere? Trying to confirm some family information for a book I am writing on my mom and her family.

Thank you!
Cathy

Posted by: Toilet Bowl Brick Shopping Bag ()
Date: December 15, 2016 06:43PM

Flashcube.. Buildings..POP Quiz..Which Ones are they..Ya We Know The Toilet Bowl..

DAJAX I Ain't telling LOL! If You Don't Know The Answers Your Johnny Come Lately Yankee Carpet baggers..

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.