HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
shooting in Annandale . . .
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: February 17, 2010 05:25PM

The dude kept his nose clean except for that DWI.

"SMILER ","NATHAN ","N","032"," 7705","MARTIN ALLEN ","CT","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","10/14/2004","NO/STATE INSPECTION "
"SMILER ","NATHAN ","N","037"," 3617","PROSPERITY ","AV","FAIRFAX ","VA","12/19/2008","DWI-ALCOHOL

Police investigate fatal shooting in Annandale, Virginia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/16/AR2010021605773_pf.html

Wednesday, February 17, 2010; B02

VIRGINIA

Police investigate Annandale slaying

A man was fatally shot Monday night in the Annandale area of Fairfax County, and police are trying to determine whether the shooting was accidental.

The deceased was identified Tuesday as Nathan Smiler, 37, of the 8300 block of Little River Turnpike. Police were called to the house where Smiler lived, near the campus of Northern Virginia Community College, about 10:30 p.m. They found Smiler shot in the head, Officer Bud Walker said.

A 30-year-old woman is being questioned in the case but has not been charged, Walker said.

A search warrant filed Tuesday morning in Fairfax Circuit Court indicated that a man called 911 and reported that his female roommate "had run up to him screaming a request that he call 911. The female roommate told him that her boyfriend had been shot." The caller told police that he had heard a gunshot shortly before his roommate's request.

Police said all individuals inside the house had been identified, and there was no threat to public safety. No arrest had been made by Tuesday evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shooting in Annandale . . .
Posted by: boredom ()
Date: February 17, 2010 05:58PM

I think that's the super goth dude. I've seen some people talking lately about some guy who was crazy popular in the goth circles who was shot. I guess that was him.

==
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: February 17, 2010 06:03PM

==

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 07:37AM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Juco ()
Date: February 17, 2010 07:30PM

Is he still dead?

Posted by: Stefanie ()
Date: February 17, 2010 07:32PM

You're all joking about this?! Shame on you.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 17, 2010 07:41PM

Stefanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're all joking about this?! Shame on you.

So it begins.

Posted by: True Story ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:18PM

way back around '94 or so i used to work at the dollar store at fair oaks mall and he was an asst manager there. definitely a weird goth type

Posted by: Too old ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:53PM

Isn't 37 a little old to still be doing the goth thing? Unless he was still a NOVA student, in which case it would be even sadder.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: February 17, 2010 10:01PM

Hey, I'm 85 and I still do the beat poetry thing...some of us never grow up.

Posted by: Big bite ()
Date: February 17, 2010 10:16PM

I heard HOT TOPIC at dulles town mall is going to hold his memorial service..... Just a rumor

Posted by: Christine ()
Date: February 17, 2010 11:00PM

extremely good point!

Posted by: get w/ the times ()
Date: February 17, 2010 11:16PM

tomahawk Wrote:
> Hey, I'm 85 and I still do the beat poetry
> thing...some of us never grow up.

You beat off to poetry? Haven't you heard about all the nudies on the interwebz?

Posted by: Taylor ()
Date: February 18, 2010 12:17AM

Wow, does anyone know anything more about this? Was this the guy that was supposedly all into satanism and crap like that? Didn't he and his girlfriend live with a bunch of other people? Or am I thinking of someone else? Who shot him? Or was it a suicide? Anyone?.........Bueller?..........anyone?

Posted by: tellheart ()
Date: February 18, 2010 01:14AM

I remember him. He was really weird. He gave me the creeps, honestly.

Goth guy gets gunned
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: February 18, 2010 06:04AM

Friends toast 'eccentric hedonist' fatally shot in Annandale

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 18, 2010; B02

Dirk Smiler was the Toastmaster. The Gourmand. The Poet. The Goth King.

The 37-year-old Northern Virginia native spent his evenings as a sommelier in Potomac but his nights as a voracious, constant presence on the D.C. club scene -- dancing, drinking, chasing women and hosting countless after-parties after last call. When news of his shooting death Monday night in Annandale rocketed around the Internet, tribute Web sites erupted with page after page of remembrances and smiles and raised toasts to a widely loved personality in the sometimes intersecting worlds of the Goth community, the restaurant industry, science fiction and Renaissance fair lovers, and dedicated night owls everywhere.

"He was an eccentric hedonist," said his friend Brendan J. Sheppard, one of hundreds to write online tributes to Smiler. "He was one of the most vibrant and enthusiastic people I've ever met." Countless photos of Smiler -- always smiling, usually hugging someone -- have been posted on the Web. In the 24 hours after his death, a tribute Web site said it had visitors from 39 states and 12 countries.

Smiler lived with several roommates and his girlfriend in a house on Little River Turnpike in Annandale near Northern Virginia Community College. Police think that on Monday night, he had an altercation with his girlfriend, and the two went downstairs to his bedroom.

In that bedroom, numerous sources familiar with the investigation said, Smiler was shot once in the head with a bolt-action rifle. The girlfriend, identified by acquaintances as Cara Cottle, 31, then ran upstairs and told her roommates that Smiler was dead, the sources said.

Cottle, a former Marine sergeant, has not been charged. She has checked herself into a psychiatric hospital, sources close to the case said. Her family could not be located for comment Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the mourning for Smiler grew deeper.

"He was very outgoing, charismatic and creative," said Skot Braunfeld, one of his closest longtime friends. "We'd throw huge parties. He'd hit on everything with two legs. He just wanted everyone to be happy and be loved, have fun and live for the moment."

Nathan N. Smiler was born in Northern Virginia, the oldest of two boys, and graduated from Fairfax High School in 1990. But even before that, he was a devotee of outrageous fashion, wearing three-piece suits and eyeliner as a teenager and making countless new friends at science fiction conventions and Renaissance fairs, his friend Jonathan Wolk said.

After high school, he began waiting tables in numerous Washington area restaurants, including Old Ebbitt Grill, Clyde's of Tysons Corner, Zola, Legal Sea Foods and, most recently, Bezu in Potomac, where he'd been sommelier since it opened in 2006.

He was heavily tattooed and sometimes had his hair in a ponytail, and Bezu owner Eddie Benaim recalled saying, "You want to work for me?" But he said Smiler knew his wine, knew how to work the room and was loved by customers.

Although he didn't finish college, he read widely, quoting Shakespeare, Chaucer, assorted poets and Dr. Seuss, his friends said. Roommate Chablis Owens said he once recited a poem while sky diving.

"He memorized chapters of books like nobody I knew," Benaim said. "He was brilliant."

Then there were the nights, at D.C. clubs such as Tracks and Roxy beginning in the late 1980s and then the Capitol Ballroom and Nation and Bound, anywhere with thumping dance music and a crowd. One of his trademarks was that "he was always impeccably dressed," said friend and photographer Thomas Izaguirre. "He had a variety of tuxedos and Victorian formal wear. Lately, he was getting into steam punk," described as a style mixing science fiction, fantasy and retro technology.

"He'd take longer to get ready to go out than any woman I know," Braunfeld said.

Friends said the Goth world intrigued Smiler partly because of its extreme fashion, and he was once profiled in a local newspaper with a photo of himself with his face painted white and his head shaved. But Goths don't uniformly subscribe to morose or morbid beliefs or lifestyles, his friends said, preferring to group themselves as freethinkers who are outcasts because they don't buy conventional wisdom.

"That was just one part of him," said Braunfeld, who noted he was also a regular at medieval events. He said Smiler sometimes filled in as a DJ in clubs, wrote poetry and served as an editor and sounding board for other writers.

Countless friends told stories of the ebullient Smiler spotting them at a club or festival, grinning and wrapping them in his arms and welcoming them as "brother." Wolk said Smiler once embraced him and his wife in a hug, bemoaning that they were leaving so early -- at 2:30 a.m. -- and pushing the couple's heads together so hard he broke Wolk's wife's nose. They all laughed.

And he could do more than party. Longtime friend Steve Baker said Smiler once spotted him at Tracks when Baker was homeless, slipped some money in his pocket and boomed, "Have you found whose bed is going to keep you warm tonight?" It sounded like a challenge of manhood, "but that was just his way of asking, 'Are you going to be okay?' "

Post a Comment

View all comments that have

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: February 18, 2010 06:57AM

"Smiler was shot once in the head with a bolt-action rifle"

"She has checked herself into a psychiatric hospital, sources close to the case said"

Gee, I wonder who pulled the trigger.

Posted by: Aapep ()
Date: February 18, 2010 10:19AM

He was a good man who accepted anyone as a friend, goth or not

Posted by: Former Coworker ()
Date: February 18, 2010 10:41AM

i dont know if i'd call him weird. he was very smart and perceptive and a very friendly outgoing guy. but he did the things that made him happy and didnt really care what others think and he liked to dress in a flamboyant, attention getting way. eccentric, but not really weird.

Re: Goth guy gets gunned
Posted by: HairFarmer Steve ()
Date: February 18, 2010 11:49AM

Dirk was my good friend and I am crushed by this tragedy. He was truly an amazing man. His house and his heart was open to everyone. Sure, he was kinda "weird" in some respects, but he followed his own path through life and wasn't afraid to be himself. He was a poet, a bard, a teacher. He could recite Shakespeare by heart, or entertain a group of children with a recitation of "The Lorax"

He always had a smile on his face, and would welcome anyone with open arms. He called me "Brother", and I felt closer to him than my own blood family. His wake is this Saturday, hundreds have confirmed already, and are flying in from all over the world. This man was legend and will be sorely missed.
I am convinced that his GF pulled the trigger, and many of my friends are calling for her head.
-S

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 18, 2010 11:55AM

Officially the most tame, respectful obit. on FU (so far)...

Posted by: FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL ()
Date: February 18, 2010 12:28PM

I bought a few bootleg concert dvd's from him a few years ago.

The quality was actually fairly decent.

I dont think he was the one who actually filmed them though.

Re: Goth guy gets gunned
Posted by: Pitfall ()
Date: February 18, 2010 04:07PM

His Gf Cara did pull the trigger. She admitted this. Her posting two days prior on Fb alluded to her possible Intentions. Cara knew how to shoot as she had been a Sgt. in the Marine Corps. She also boasted of her ability to shoot on numerous occasions. The old mauser she used was bolt action meaning the round would have to be chambered by pulling the bolt back and then pushing the bolt foward again and after these actions finally pulling the trigger. The girl had joked on prior occasion of shooting him. She has other instances of domestic violence under her belt to such an extent that her two children reside with her former husband not to mention another former husband who she has informed others is deceased by accidental means. All in all she is trouble and now a good friend has passed.

Date: February 18, 2010 11:03PM

get w/ the times Wrote:
> tomahawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey, I'm 85 and I still do the beat poetry
> > thing...some of us never grow up.
>
> You beat off to poetry? Haven't you heard about
> all the nudies on the interwebz?

ahh that shit had my laughin

Posted by: AsianDale ()
Date: February 18, 2010 11:07PM

Asiandale not aNnadale.

Posted by: nobodyspecial ()
Date: February 19, 2010 03:29AM

There is no way a former marine "accidentally" shot someone with a bolt action rifle. Obviously, the woman knew her way around a gun. Not to mention, as someone else pointed out, a bolt action rifle requires a very deliberate procedure to fire. It's not the kind of gun that just goes off. You don't have to be a cop to figure that one out. Why has this woman not been charged?

She checked herself into a psychiatric hospital? Perhaps gearing up for an insanity defense? That won't go her way, either. She had the presence of mind to lie to the police, so she can't very well argue she didn't know what she did was wrong.

She has a former husband who died under "accidental" circumstances? If what the above poster says is true, this could be a much bigger case than it is right now. Female killers are rare. Female killers with multiple victims are a total anomaly.

Posted by: rj furiae ()
Date: February 19, 2010 01:48PM

nobodyspecial Wrote:
> There is no way a former marine "accidentally"
> shot someone with a bolt action rifle. Obviously,
> the woman knew her way around a gun. Not to
> mention, as someone else pointed out, a bolt
> action rifle requires a very deliberate procedure
> to fire. It's not the kind of gun that just goes
> off. You don't have to be a cop to figure that
> one out. Why has this woman not been charged?
>
> She has a former husband who died under
> "accidental" circumstances? If what the above
> poster says is true, this could be a much bigger
> case than it is right now. Female killers are
> rare. Female killers with multiple victims are a
> total anomaly.

She probably hasn't been charged because she is military, think of the press. Maybe there are circumstances we are not privvy to.
But I agree female killers are an anomaly.

Dirk was a beautiful and wonderful soul who made everyone feel welcome, he will be missed and didn't deserve his end.

Date: February 19, 2010 02:18PM

She was military. No longer is she military, At best her new title in life is murderer. Yes her going to the psyche ward is an attempt to establish an insanity defense. Knowing her and her loose tongue over time she has shared quite a few stories with people she may now wish she hadnt. Her final facebook entry alluded to Loving Dirk and at the same time expressing the idea of killing him, this posting was made one day ( more or less) prior to his murder. Definately a twisted girl.

Posted by: Tobias ()
Date: February 19, 2010 04:00PM

If her FB page alluded to intent or in any way insinuated that she did it purposefully then I am sure there is a way to subpoena that page, deleted or not, to be used in the case against her. I am also sure that witnesses to her stories and shared feelings of murder will/should step forward and contact the police and write statements affirming this. I am also sure that if I can find this page, other pages with similar sentiments, and sites raising these questions in roughly 2 minutes in a google search that the detectives on the case will be looking into these things as well. In seeing these posts and knowing what I just stated I feel confident that if in fact she IS to blame and it was NOT accidental then she WILL be paying the price for her actions. Justice will be done.

R.I.P Dirk, you are very sorely missed.

As a side note to the disrespectful posts in this thread.....you people would be utterly ashamed of yourselves if you actually knew this man. He was probably the kindest most open and generous human being you would have ever had the chance to meet. Accepting of everyone regardless of anything. Go Google him and find all the articles and tributes to him. Every good thing said in those pages about him are true a thousandfold. Unlike you I do not hide behind screen names and aliases. My poster name is my real first name. It is easy to make fun of something or ridicule while you're safe in your home and anonymous. Your lives must be shallow and empty indeed to mock the passing of such a wonderful human being.

Posted by: so... ()
Date: February 19, 2010 04:10PM

...was he behind on child support payments or not? I keep hearing conflicting accounts.

Posted by: Ann ()
Date: February 19, 2010 07:05PM

Gonads & Strife Wrote:
> Officially the most tame, respectful obit. on FU
> (so far)...

who cares if he was behind on child support? it doesn't change the fact that he's gone and really isn't relevant. the dc scene has truely lost its goth king.

Posted by: No Comment (Remaining annonymous because I'm tired of the reporters) ()
Date: February 19, 2010 10:33PM

Regarding the gun, having been a friend of his, and having handled the gun in question (which he NEVER kept loaded, it was a priceless antique display piece that was gifted to him), I just wanted to clarify that it was not a bolt-action rifle (Mauser 98), it was a Broom Handle Mauser, which is a hand gun, albeit a damn big one. Irregardless, as an ex-marine, she knew her way around a gun, and a hand gun with a hammer requires just as much intent to fire as a rifle, just takes one less hand.
Tobias, no worries, Cara's post was screen-captured before her page was taken down, and it was handed over to the detectives.
Just because charges hadn't been pressed on Tuesday doesn't necessarily mean she's not being charged. Not everything going on with the investigation is being made public. It's early yet, let's give the authorities a chance to make their case airtight so they can give our friend some semblance of justice.
Let's just mourn our fallen brother together in piece.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 19, 2010 10:50PM

bumped to fix formatting from previous poster

Posted by: so ()
Date: February 19, 2010 11:07PM

Is this her?

pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQGOMeJBM_nh97WtjaZoO6images?q=tbn:Ok-KEZLQk7SwKMimages?q=tbn:LU79RXyhI7COGM

Crazy Bitch!

Date: February 20, 2010 01:28AM

Yes that is Her,

And to correct the above post that states the weapon in question was a broomhandle mauser, The rifle in fact was a Mauser Gew. 98 Full size that was reissued for use in the second world war. Which again is the bolt action mentioned prior. He and I had spoken of taking this rifle out as soon as the weather cleared up.

No real issue either way as aside from the fact that I wish it had been a pistol round out of a broomhandle mauser that Cara shot him with as it most likely would have been way less lethal versus the round she hit him with which was designed to kill a soldier at an effective range of 700 meters.
What she did to him there was no chance of him living period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_98
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96 Broomhandle

Again she knew what she was doing as she had studied basic ballistics as part of her former job. She not only murdered an innocent man but one of the best men one could ask to know.

Date: February 20, 2010 09:19AM

Ammo for an old antique like that can't be easy to locate (unless there is some sort of modern counterpart). Assuming that his girlfriend DID mean to kill him, since all reports are that he kept the rifle unloaded, she would have had to have tracked down the ammo, purchased it, and then kept it stored in preparation for the day that she would use it to load the Mauser. If this is true, then in would have been a long thought out plan of action with deliberate premeditation, not a crime if passion in the heat of a lover's quarrel. Is that what you're suggesting? That she had planned to murder him fir quite sone time and was just waiting for the opportune moment? Where did she get the Ammo? Why would he patiently wait for her to manipulate an old antique, bolt-action rifle and the shoot him between the eyes with it? Was he lying in bed asleep? On the toilet? On the floor? Did she ambush him in some way? She's like 5'1 and 98 pounds. How would she get the drop on him? It doesn't make any sense, unless I'm just misunderstanding the circumstances of the shooting somehow.

Date: February 20, 2010 10:24AM

Ammo for an 8mm Mauser is easy to locate. Plenty of leftover ammo as after the second world war many nations used these firearms and in turn manufactured their own ammo.

The ammo was already in the home.

Cant comment on the actual shooting portion aside from what has already been mentioned prior. Either way the rifle was chambered by her was aimed by her and the trigger pulled by her. Resulting in the fatal wound. This much she has admitted to.

Date: February 20, 2010 01:17PM

Wow, so she's actually ADMITTED to it? If she's admitted to chambering a round, aiming the weapon (between the eyes, no less) and releasing the mortal shot, how are Police still investigating? Why hasn't she been arrested? It seems like you knew the decedant very well. Possibly you were even his best friend. I am very curious as to YOUR conjecture as to what occurred. Nathan (Dirk) was not a small man, nor did he seem a coward. I know that if MY girlfriend grabbed a firearm and began to aim it at me, I would, run, attack her, disarm her, attempt to cover, scream for help, throw something at her, beg for my life, try to spoil her aim, SOMETHING other than just standing still while she drew a bead on me and blasted my head off. Given the disparity in their size and strength, the fact that it was HIS weapon and he knew where it was and what she would have been reaching for, and the relatively close quarters of a basement bedroom where he should have been able to close on her very quickly in order to prevent her from raising a 3-4 foot long rifle to an aimed position, I can't see how it could happen. Obviously it DID happen, but I don't see any way for it to happen unless he A) didn't believe she had the balls to go through with it and just stood there without attempting to stop her, B) Was complicit in the shooting (possible murder/suicide pact that she failed to uphold her end of), or C) She drugged, knocked unconcious, or somehow incapacitated him before staging the scene.

I also am curious to know what story she is claiming that would allow her to admit to her guilt and yet not have the Police immediately arrest her for murder. Again, since you are close to the situation, and it was your friend that was killed, I am very interested in what you THINK might have happened at the
moment of this murder (if that is, indeed, what it was.)

Posted by: Friend ()
Date: February 20, 2010 03:34PM

There are things that must be further investigated. Suicide. Assisted suicide. Self defense. It is too early to assign blame or misguided anger in place of despair. The authorities are working to determine what actually happened, and they will in due time. It is unfair to assume this young lady actually intended to kill him at this point, even if it is indeed true. If it were so, she would have been charged. She has not. You only have one chance to charge someone with capital murder. Dont rush to judge, the facts are unraveling, albeit slowly. Misplaced anger only serves to make the situation more difficult and the pain more severe. We cant bring him back.

=
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: February 20, 2010 03:47PM

=

edit by Cary: Account password compromised, disabled by administrator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 07:35AM by inkahootz.

Date: February 20, 2010 10:29PM

So, Inkahootz, if that's such a dumb idea, why don't you or Pitfall give us your idea of what happened then?

Posted by: geez ()
Date: February 20, 2010 11:52PM

Taylor wrote:

>I know that if MY girlfriend grabbed a firearm and began to aim it at me, I >would,run, attack her, disarm her, attempt to cover, scream for help, throw >something at >her, beg for my life, try to spoil her aim, SOMETHING other than >just standing >still while she drew a bead on me and blasted my head off.

How do you know he didn't do one or all of the above? Also, how do you know that the instant he saw her aim the gun at him, he wasn't shot-making it impossible for him to react. Or maybe he didn't even see it coming. I love it when people seem to claim that a robbery/murder/assault couldn't have happened to them because they wouldn't have let it happen. You're not superman. I don't care how fast/strong/smart you are, you're no match for someone who's truly prepared and capable of killing you, especially when it's a person you lease expect it from and in a place where you least expect it to happen, like your home.

>Given the disparity in their size and strength, the fact that it was HIS weapon >and he knew where it was and what she would have been reaching for, and the >relatively close quarters of a basement bedroom where he should have been able >to close on her very quickly in order to prevent her from raising a 3-4 foot
>long rifle to an aimed position, I can't see how it could happen.

It's easy to see how it could happen. She could have had it already aimed as he walked in the room. She could have been in a closet and came out pointing it at him. He could have had his back turned and she could have pointed it at him then, and when he turned around, bam. He could have been asleep and she could have pointed it at him. I'm glad people like you don't usually become police detectives. There would be far more unsolved crimes. I sure hope you are not in any kind of position of trust. The lack of critical thinking skills is truly sad.

Date: February 21, 2010 12:34AM

geez Wrote:
I'm glad people like you don't usually
> become police detectives. There would be far more
> unsolved crimes. I sure hope you are not in any
> kind of position of trust. The lack of critical
> thinking skills is truly sad.

Hmmmmm, so "Geez" I believe that I actually already mentioned in a previous post that the only way that the scenario made sense to me would be if he were unconscious, incapacitated, or ambushed in some way. I also never said that if I was in a similar situation, I wouldn't "let" it happen to me. I actually said that if my girlfriend pointed a gun at me, I would TRY any & all of the things that I suggested, in order to try and save my ass. You asked me how I know that he didn't also try those things? Well, the fact that not ONLY is his head missing, but he was also shot right between the eyes, would strongly suggest that he didn't attempt any number of the things that I suggested.

Now, let's see, you also postulate that maybe she had already aimed the rifle before he came into the room (at what? Empty space? He wasn't in the room yet.) Or maybe she hid in the closet (so she managed to hide in a dark closet with a 4 foot long rifle in a horizontal "ready" position, despite the fact that the standard closet is less than 3 feet deep?) Or maybe his back was turned (long enough for her to grab the rifle, load it, CHAMBER a round using the bolt action and then point it at him?) Or maybe he was asleep (aside from the fact that I've already ASKED if this was possible, the fact that according to witnesses, the two of them had JUST gone down into the basement to talk before the gun-shot, giving him only several minutes to go to sleep would make this impossible.)

In the same way that you are glad that I'm not a Police Detective (although I may very well be) due to my "lack" of critical thinking skills, I am also glad that YOU are similarly not employed, due to your apparent inability to read, comprehend, or retain concepts from a relatively short, succinctly written paragraph that didn't contain any large or confusing words.

If you had possessed the reasoning capacity to actually GRASP what I was saying, you would have understood that I was not arguing that there was no way that she could have done it, I was stating that I didn't see a very good way for her to carry out her "plan" UNLESS it involved either surprising him in some way, or waiting until he was unconscious or asleep. I was asking friends of his who were closer to the situation than I am to explain to me what they think MIGHT have happened, because I wasn't coming up with any very believable scenarios using the limited FACTUAL information that I had been given (not all the bull-shit supposition not supported by facts, that you spit out.) I was hoping for some sort of scenario in which he DIDN'T allow himself to be slaughtered like a deer in the headlights of an on-coming semi. I assumed that his friends (who know this Cara Cottle as well), would have a VERY good idea about how this might have gone down, and considering the fact that she's apparently attempting to GET AWAY WITH IT, that they might want to explain THEIR side of the story so that it wouldn't JUST be her side being heard (which I'm assuming is somehow centered around some sort of self-defense argument).

Then you pop in with a moronic, poorly written post suggesting the very same things that I've ALREADY suggested and asked others about, and then after COMPLETELY misunderstanding my post (what little of it you were able to retain), you pat yourself on the back for your "superior Detective Skills". "Geez", you are as dumb as a bag of hammers. I'm sure that you must be grieving, but your grief doesn't excuse your stupidity.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: February 21, 2010 07:45AM

If his head is missing, how would you know he was shot between the eyes?

Date: February 21, 2010 08:10AM

It's been reported in several news articles that the round struck him in the middle of the lower forehead.

Posted by: FromAnnandale ()
Date: February 21, 2010 08:18AM

I'd do her. Crazy bitches are usually good fucks.

Posted by: Geez ()
Date: February 21, 2010 12:57PM

Poor Taylor. So stupid, so pathetic. Sigh

>Hmmmmm, so "Geez" I believe that I actually already mentioned in a previous post >that the only way that the scenario made sense to me would be if he were >unconscious, incapacitated, or ambushed in some way. I also never said that if I >was in a similar situation, I wouldn't "let" it happen to me. I actually said >that if my girlfriend pointed a gun at me, I would TRY any & all of the things >that I suggested, in order to try and save my ass. You asked me how I know that >he didn't also try those things? Well, the fact that not ONLY is his head >missing, but he was also shot right between the eyes, would strongly suggest >that he didn't attempt any number of the things that I suggested.

How stupid can you be? The fact that his head is missing and he was shot between the eyes does not prove that he didn't try to save himself with one or many of the methods that you stated!! It just means that he didn't succeed!

>Now, let's see, you also postulate that maybe she had already aimed the rifle >before he came into the room (at what? Empty space? He wasn't in the room yet.)

It's called ambushing a person. You should look up "ambush" in the dictionary. If she knew he was coming down, that gave her time to get ready. Again, your stupidity amazes me. Hey everyone, is it just me that sees something wrong with Taylor's reasoning here??

>Or maybe she hid in the closet (so she managed to hide in a dark closet with a 4 >foot long rifle in a horizontal "ready" position, despite the fact that the >standard closet is less than 3 feet deep?)

Let's say it was a walk in closet. Or maybe she's in the closet with the rifle pointing up, comes out, points it quickly and fires. My POINT is not to show this was the most probably way it happened. It was to prove that a whole host of scenarios could have explained what happened. Obviously your lack of intellectual rigor explains why you are so surprised that this could have happened to a grown man.

>Or maybe his back was turned (long enough for her to grab the rifle, load it, >CHAMBER a round using the bolt action and then point it at him?)

Sure, haven't you ever been facing one direction for a while, working at a desk, shuffling papers, reading? You don't know the layout of the room. This is VERY plausible.

>Or maybe he was asleep (aside from the fact that I've already ASKED if this was >possible, the fact that according to witnesses, the two of them had JUST gone >down into the basement to talk before the gun-shot, giving him only several >minutes to go to sleep would make this impossible.)

No it's not impossible. Some people fall asleep very quickly. Your stupidity just keeps getting better.

>In the same way that you are glad that I'm not a Police Detective (although I >may very well be) due to my "lack" of critical thinking skills, I am also glad >that YOU are similarly not employed, due to your apparent inability to read, >comprehend, or retain concepts from a relatively short, succinctly written >paragraph that didn't contain any large or confusing words.

Actually it's your lack of critical thinking skills that speak for themselves. I've already proven my point.

Instead of replying directly to your ridiculous two paragraph statement above, I'm going to copy and paste what your wrote earlier:

"Given the disparity in their size and strength, the fact that it was HIS weapon and he knew where it was and what she would have been reaching for, and the relatively close quarters of a basement bedroom where he should have been able to close on her very quickly in order to prevent her from raising a 3-4 foot long rifle to an aimed position, I can't see how it could happen. Obviously it DID happen, but I don't see any way for it to happen unless he A) didn't believe she had the balls to go through with it and just stood there without attempting to stop her, B) Was complicit in the shooting (possible murder/suicide pact that she failed to uphold her end of), or C) She drugged, knocked unconcious, or somehow incapacitated him before staging the scene. "

A-Believing that she didn't have the balls to go through with it, B-being complicit in a murder/suicide, and C-being drugged

*****THOSE 3 ARE NOT THE ONLY POSSIBILITIES YOU IGNORANT STUPID FUCK! ******
THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT!!!
You can try restate what you wrote earlier, but you said something and implied something very idiotic. The fact that you continue to think it is impossible for him to have been shot while sleeping, or impossible for her to have ambushed him as he came downstairs, just proves my point about your stupidity further. Please do us all a favor and get off this board. We have to listen to enough stupid people already.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If you had possessed the reasoning capacity to actually GRASP what I was saying, you would have understood that I was not arguing that there was no way that she could have done it, I was stating that I didn't see a very good way for her to carry out her "plan" UNLESS it involved either surprising him in some way, or waiting until he was unconscious or asleep. I was asking friends of his who were closer to the situation than I am to explain to me what they think MIGHT have happened, because I wasn't coming up with any very believable scenarios using the limited FACTUAL information that I had been given (not all the bull-shit supposition not supported by facts, that you spit out.) I was hoping for some sort of scenario in which he DIDN'T allow himself to be slaughtered like a deer in the headlights of an on-coming semi. I assumed that his friends (who know this Cara Cottle as well), would have a VERY good idea about how this might have gone down, and considering the fact that she's apparently attempting to GET AWAY WITH IT, that they might want to explain THEIR side of the story so that it wouldn't JUST be her side being heard (which I'm assuming is somehow centered around some sort of self-defense argument).

Then you pop in with a moronic, poorly written post suggesting the very same things that I've ALREADY suggested and asked others about, and then after COMPLETELY misunderstanding my post (what little of it you were able to retain), you pat yourself on the back for your "superior Detective Skills". "Geez", you are as dumb as a bag of hammers. I'm sure that you must be grieving, but your grief doesn't excuse your stupidity.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Date: February 21, 2010 01:15PM

"Geez" = FAIL!

Dirk Smiler
Posted by: Z ()
Date: February 21, 2010 01:21PM

Ok anyone who knew Dirk would know that he would not have killed himself. He was a fun loving guy and he was not one to get overly emotional over the loss of a female. There is no way you could kill yourself with that gun, and he wouldn't have had a "suicide pact". Also she is an ex marine so she is a pro at handling a gun like that, not that old given, but that kind of gun. She has been married 2 other times, and the first husband died in an accident also so that is kind of fishy. Now as far as anyone saying it was an accident, you tell me how you can accidentally pull back the bolt, load a round, chamber the round, aim a 4 foot gun, and fire and I'll give you a fucking medal. The fact is that there is no question he was murdered. Now the only way this could of happened is is she aimed at the door before he was in or he didn't know the gun was loaded, and I'm going for the latter.

Date: February 21, 2010 01:28PM

Hmmm, so you think that she aimed it at him during the course of an argument and he just didn't take her seriously because he thought that there was no way that it could be loaded? That does seem to make sense. It explains a lot about the way that it happened. I agree with you that I can't see ANY way that he could have accidentally shot himself with a bolt-acion rifle. He would have had to have flipped the rifle around and then pulled the trigger with his toes. Perhaps he just didn't think that she was bat-shit insane enough to actually DO it.

What circumstances did her first husband die under? Did he "accidentally" shoot himself as well? Sounds like we might have a "Black Widow" here.

Posted by: gothquen ()
Date: February 21, 2010 02:23PM

I heard from an inside source that they had a fight and he beat the shit out of her. She had bruises all over her face an neck.and that he knew the gun was laoded and he threatened her with it during the fight. From there somehow the gun went off. Thats why there have been no charges yet. They are waiting for the autopsy report to determine if her story matches up with what they find. I would say at very least, even if it was an accident, she's facing manslaughter charges at best. You all are right though.i met her about a year ago and she's a nut job. She was married 2 other times and has 2 little kids that dont live with her. The first husband was hit by a car and killed. from what i know of her, i don't think she would have planned this out. she seemed to really love dirk, but like i said, she's a nut job with little self control, so who knows what happened in that room during a heated fight. we'll all find out soon i guess.

Posted by: NoneOfYourBusiness ()
Date: February 21, 2010 02:50PM

Well, if the fact that her kids don't live with her makes her crazy, then he was crazy, too, because his kids didn't live with him, either. I knew the man, and while he certainly had redeeming qualities, he was not exactly a model father. He also had a penchant for picking out nutty females. That being said, he never struck me as a physical abuser. He had a lot of girlfriends, and that was not something I ever heard from anyone else. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just saying, it would really surprise me to discover he was beating her. Besides, if that were the case, why say it was an accident? Why not self-defense, which is much more plausible under the circumstances?

Posted by: rider06 ()
Date: February 21, 2010 03:05PM

Unless one of you was in that room at the moment this went down, no one knows what happened...furthermore, people can do things out of character in the heat of the moment. We all know someone who seems like one person in the public eye, and is someone different in the privacy of their own home. None of us knows the circumstances around this and what really happened or what was told to police. Whatever was told during questioning didn't make police beleive she needed to be charged or taken into custody, so who knows if she told them it was an accident or pleaded self defense??? regardless - she hasn't been charged which says something for now. No one knows what happened...its all pure speculation. Does anyone even know who owns that house?

Date: February 21, 2010 04:07PM

rider06 Wrote:
Unless one of you was in that room at the moment
this went down, no one knows what
happened. None of us knows the
circumstances around this and what really happened
or what was told to police. No one
knows what happened...its all pure speculation.

Yes "Rider06", you are correct. That is exactly WHY we're speculating. You've hit it directly on the head. No one knows what happened, so people are left to try any figure out HOW something like this could have happened. Most people say that he was not the type of guy to abuse her or threaten her with a weapon. I've ALSO heard that she would not have killed him in cold blood and that she couldn't have actively planned this. It seems like something that COULDN'T have happened, but it DID. Ergo, we are attempting to figure out,(based on a mixture of solid facts and the opinions of the people that know/knew them), WHAT could possibly have HAPPENED?

Posted by: rider06 ()
Date: February 21, 2010 04:49PM

"Taylor"- LOL. Thanks for the clarification.

Date: February 21, 2010 05:17PM

No Problemo, Buddy. It's my duty to educate and inform. ;)

Posted by: MartaB ()
Date: February 21, 2010 05:44PM

"he never struck me as a physical abuser"

That must be the #1 comment heard whenever a great person, the pillar of some community, is revealed to be an abuser. Not saying Dirk was. Just saying.

Date: February 21, 2010 05:55PM

"That must be the #1 comment heard whenever a great person, the pillar of some community, is revealed to be an abuser. Not saying Dirk was. Just saying."

It's also the #1 comment heard whenever a great person is NOT an abuser.

Just saying.

Posted by: JustMyFrigginOpinion ()
Date: February 21, 2010 06:24PM

Attention all posters: Clue-by-Four: If it looks like manure, smells like manure, and feels like manure; It's manure.

Tylor is obviously working on organizing the Temporary Insanity defense for the alleged, which we knew was going to come up. This individual has been using various handles on just about every Internet site and article which has arisen from this tragedy. Covertly phishing for information to lay the grounds for an organized Insanity Defense. Please do not feed the swarthy little Maggot!

Gothquen is playing the part of "Agent Provocateur" working toward the same goals. Did you not think the Detectives would access this individual's Military Records during such an investigation?

It is well know by all who know Nathan Smiler, that for all his bravado, posturing, and manly bluffing he was not, in all fact, prone to physical violence. It was one of the very personality quirks that made him amusing in so many regards. He would go out of his way to talk and Bull Shit his way out of any such physical altercation when it arose. He relied on his oratory skills and natural charisma get himself out of any such bind.

He was quite simply, and I'm sorry there is no politically correct way to put it: A wimpy and a cowardly little girlie-man when it came to any possible chance somebody may scar his pretty face. If he could not talk his way out of a physical altercation, he would just run away as fast as his legs would carry him and hide.

Date: February 21, 2010 07:40PM

Hello again, "Geez". I'm sorry that my earlier verbal spanking has caused you to feel the need to hide behind another screen-name. If by "Tylor", you mean "Taylor" (which I assume to be the case, given your inexplicable inability to read/retain/comprehend relatively simple grammatical constructs), I will again tell you that I have no dog in this hunt. I've never met either one of the central characters in this drama. From what I've read, I probably would not have anything in common with either one of them if I had met them. I simply find it to be an interesting, (albeit tragic), topic. We don't have too many "sensational" murders like this in Fairfax County. I also find the "mysterious" circumstances as well as the "Goth scene" tie-in to add an additional curiosity value. I have not commented on any other boards or articles, and if his girlfriend did commit the crime, then I hope she fries for it. Your theory that I am attempting to "lay the groundwork" for an insanity defense is simply not true, and would imply that I am her lawyer or otherwise involved in the case. Whether you choose to believe it or not, this is false.

I DO find it interesting, however, that you seem to think that I (as well as "Gothquen") are somehow attempting to help/shield/protect the "killer" (again, if she did it). It seems from the bulk of the comments I've read that the vast majority of people who knew them both are on his side. If she killed him and is truly a "bad" person, why would you believe that we are all part of a vast conspiracy to protect her?

Then again, maybe all of the ganja is making you paranoid. Perhaps you should switch to some Benzos instead. Or even (god forbid) attempt to handle your daily affairs without the aid of chemical assistance.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Posted by: Gothquen ()
Date: February 21, 2010 08:09PM

Taylor- thank you! you took the words right out of my mouth!

Date: February 21, 2010 08:30PM

I didn't post as JustMyFrigginOpinion. That was someone else. I wouldn't need to. It was I who gave you a verbal spanking not the other way around as any person can see above. I know you would prefer for me to the same as this other poster so you can say I'm paranoid. But it's not the truth. Taylor: "I don't see any way for it to happen unless he A) didn't believe she had the balls to go through with it and just stood there without attempting to stop her, B) Was complicit in the shooting (possible murder/suicide pact that she failed to uphold her end of), or C) She drugged, knocked unconcious, or somehow incapacitated him before staging the scene."

MORON!

Date: February 21, 2010 08:30PM

Why, of course, my dearest Goth Queen. We have to occasionally chastize the rabble, now don't we?

Date: February 21, 2010 08:43PM

Oh thank god, "Geez". I was concerned that you had forgotten to administer your anti-psychotic meds again. The way that you were changing personalities back and forth caused me to assume that your schizo-affective disorder was acting up again.

By the way, if you REALLY are/were a friend of Dirk Smiler's, I must say "nice job" in taking a thread devoted to his tragic death (whether it be by murder, accident, suicide, etc.), and turning into something all about YOU,

One would THINK that if you REALLY were a friend of Dirk's that you would want to stay on topic (the topic of Dirk, remember him?). But you seem infinitely more interested in focusing our attention upon you.

Here's a suggestion, Geez/JustMyFrigginOpinion/Ass-hat, whatever you choose to call yourself from moment to moment, how about you let the grown-ups discuss the TOPIC at hand, which is DIRK SMILER and his DEATH, and stop being such an piteous attention whore?

If you need a "I'm Geez, PLEASE give ME some attention!" thread, I will be happy to start one for you, but as of NOW, this thread is once again "Dirk-centric", which means that we won't be wasting any more time on your crazy, little ass.

M'kay? Good.

Now run along. (Unless you have something to say about Dirk.)

Date: February 21, 2010 08:51PM

Oh, of course you're correct. No doubt about that. I've learned that one of the things that sometimes prevents an abused person from getting help (if they ever arrive at the idea that they deserve it, let alone get up the courage to ask for it) is that people who know the abuser often just don't believe they could so such a thing, so the victim hits a wall just when they most need for somebody to believe them and help out. I wasn't trying to suggest anything beyond that. We good?

Posted by: geez ()
Date: February 21, 2010 08:58PM

Taylor, you're the one who took this thread down the negative path.

No one on this board wants to hear that Dirk "should have been able to close on her very quickly in order to prevent her from raising a 3-4 foot long rifle to an aimed position"

or that anyone in that situation would "run, attack her, disarm her, attempt to cover, scream for help, throw something at her, beg for my life, try to spoil her aim, SOMETHING other than just standing still while she drew a bead on me and blasted my head off."

you make Dirk sound like some sort of weakling or screw-up. Fuck off! You're no decent person and you are a MORON.

Taylor:"the two of them had JUST gone down into the basement to talk before the gun-shot, giving him only several minutes to go to sleep would make this impossible." [shooting him while he's asleep]

Taylor:"Well, the fact that not ONLY is his head missing, but he was also shot right between the eyes, would strongly suggest that he didn't attempt any number of the things that I suggested."

IDIOT! You've given us lots of quotes to prove how stupid you are. Do us all a favor and FUCK OFF!!

Date: February 21, 2010 08:59PM

Don't apolologise, "MartaB". You're certainly allowed to have an opinion. No one interpreted your post as somehow accusing Dirk of abuse, except for one or two reactionary crack-pots who seem unable to read other people's posts without immediately assuming that the original author is somehow out to get them (or Dirk). F-them if they're too stupid to understand the gist of your post. The REST of us got it.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:04PM

Geez, I ALREADY made you a nice, cozy thread for you to rant in. Go post in that one.

P.S. The very fact that you simply can't have a debate without sinking to the "You're a moron/idiot/fuck you, etc. level just continues to prove the limit of your intellect. You'll notice that in ALL of my posts addressing YOU, I have not resorted to name calling or denigration (although I DID call your post "moronic" but not you). Childish insults, potty mouth and name calling are the last bastion of the simple-minded.

Now go sit in your thread and think about what you've done.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:20PM

Taylor wrote
>>You'll notice that in ALL of my posts addressing YOU, I have not resorted to name calling or denigration

Taylor wrote
>>F-them

Soooo, maybe you weren't addressing me directly in that second quote (you were talking about me to someone else) but then you said

"Childish insults, potty mouth and name calling are the last bastion of the simple-minded."

Ok, you potty mouthed little simple minded child. Your words, not mine! Unless it's only childish when other people use such language and not you.

You've been schooled today haven't you? You should just let it go because the more you talk, the more stupidity comes through.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:26PM

Have you noticed that almost ALL of your "rebuttals" consist of simply copying my words/thoughts/points? Hang it up, Big-G. You can SAY that you "schooled" me all you want. Simply saying it doesn't make it so, though. Now, AGAIN, would you please allow this thread to veer AWAY from you and back to the original topic? We would all really appreciate it.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:41PM

The reason I kept copying and pasting your quotes is because your writings speak for themselves. That's why.

And WE would really appreciate it if you would apologize for the irreverent remarks you made regarding Dirk so we can get back to the topic.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:48PM

Nevermind, I am sorry. I realize that someone has to be the bigger man, or this thread will never get back on topic. In order to show how much Dirk meant to me, I apologize, and from this point on, I will disregard anything Tylor says.

Sorry Dirk... Love you man.

Date: February 21, 2010 09:52PM

HAHAHA! When I said apologize, I meant apologize from your handle "Taylor" not from mine. But no matter. I'm glad you finally came through.

>>>>
Nevermind, I am sorry. I realize that someone has to be the bigger man, or this thread will never get back on topic. In order to show how much Dirk meant to me, I apologize, and from this point on, I will disregard anything Tylor says.

Sorry Dirk... Love you man.
>>>>>>>>

Date: February 21, 2010 09:57PM

Meds, brother......take your meds. It's SO important.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: February 21, 2010 09:58PM

I was the impostor Geez... Why don't you both shut up?

Posted by: Geez/Taylor, buds ()
Date: February 21, 2010 10:03PM

I already had shut up. Why don't you shut up?

Date: February 22, 2010 12:59AM

Thanks a lot. Now, back to Dirk.

Posted by: ucme hi haters ()
Date: February 22, 2010 02:55AM

I am mourning for his children who have to grow up without their father because pursuing his self indulgent ostentatiousness and passion for lust was more important than they were.

Posted by: YesSir ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:01AM

ucme hi haters Wrote:
> I am mourning for his children who have to grow up
> without their father because pursuing his self
> indulgent ostentatiousness and passion for lust
> was more important than they were.

I'm glad SOMEONE finally said it.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:09AM

fascinating

Date: February 22, 2010 06:26AM

Well, that's the definition of a "Hedonist", someone who only pursues pleasure to the exclusion of all else. I guess that's what he was all about. Ironic that the single-minded pursuit of pleasure would lead to such an unpleasant death.

Posted by: Walker89 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:29AM

ucme hi haters Wrote:
> I am mourning for his children who have to grow up
> without their father because pursuing his self
> indulgent ostentatiousness and passion for lust
> was more important than they were.

I do not understand why these people who are fawning all over him are able to excuse him for that. There is nothing more unforgivable than turning your back on your kids, especially to whore it up and party. No "great man" cowers from the responsibility of his own flesh and blood, I don't care what his excuse was. He was popular because he through parties and was charming. So what? Being popular says nothing at all about your character, and it doesn't say anything about his.

Posted by: Deeks ()
Date: February 22, 2010 07:24AM

@Walker89: Amen. I agree 100%. I often read about people I don't know who have met an untimely death and my heart ached for their family or associates who respected them.

In this case, I read the initial news story and really didn't give a shit. Regardless of how charming this fella may have been, I think he was completely and utterly useless. Ignoring your kids so you can live a life of debauchery and hedonsim makes him a douchebag.

Did he deserve to have his face rearranged by a shotgun? Maybe, maybe not. But he hung out with people that had a limited range of values thus somebody decided shooting him was within their realm of acceptable behavior.

Posted by: vexed ()
Date: February 22, 2010 11:21AM

De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est...

Posted by: Hetsy ()
Date: February 22, 2010 11:23AM

He didn't ignore his children. You people are speculating. He was very much involved in his younger childs life and was getting to know his older daughter.

Him not being involved in his older daughters life, was not his choice at all. The mother and I are friends, and it was a choice she was pressured into at a young age by her mother. She has then attempted to rectify it, and his older daughter and him had been talking for awhile now.

So STFU unless you are involved and know what is going on.

You people are shameless.

Our friend, our brother died. We miss him. He wasn't a loser, a douchebag or anything like that. HE WAS involved with his children. Not that's it's YOUR business as you obviously were not privileged to be close enough to him to know of that fact.

He was a great man, who helped many people. I loved him and he is sorely missed.

Posted by: Cheezer ()
Date: February 22, 2010 12:06PM

Note to self: If anyone I care about dies in a horrific media-centric way in the DC metropolitan area, I will not post a tribute to them at FFXU.

Date: February 22, 2010 01:37PM

Good idea

Posted by: Kristen "tink" W. ()
Date: February 22, 2010 03:21PM

I unlike most of the people who have posted here have known and loved Dirk for thirteen years. I was there when his youngest child was snatched from him by slander in court. I was there when he found out he had another daughter years before, unbeknownst to him. He fought to have them in his life. He was an amazing man with heart of gold. He was there for me and countless others when we needed him, always with open arms. I knew some of his girlfriends and love interests. I even knew one that got physical with him in an argument. He did not get physical. And as said above he would use his gift of words and charm to get him out of any physical confrontation. He was a gentle soul. At first glance to many people, I'm sure he "looked" scary and unapproachable, he was anything but. He unlike most in this world did not judge on appearance or by peoples past. Shame on those of you using this unfathomable situation to create more drama and hate in a world that's barely hanging on as it is.
I will also add, I was at his wake on Saturday night with hundreds apon hundreds of others. You could barely move around inside or outside the house. I listend to the counless people tell their stories of him. I raised my glass of whiskey many times that night. It was the only true wake I've ever been to, bagpipes and all. It was an epic send off to an epic man. He is loved by many and will shine on in the hearts of all that knew him.
Rest in peace brother. Everytime I touch the stars behind my ear I know that that you and all the others that have passed in my life are shining bright and watching over me.

Posted by: Blackestwish ()
Date: February 22, 2010 05:28PM

Wishing you well wherever you are, you were always a kindly, gentlemanly lord amongst the rabble. I was only an acquaintance, we had shared a few conversations, invitations always extended. Your vivacious heart loomed large upon any room you deigned to enter. You were loved.

I was told today - we mourn our loss - the world is less bright. I will sit for a moment, listen to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw) and drink red and wish this was only a falsity. Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: February 22, 2010 07:22PM

He sounds like a wastrel. Too bad he didn't accomplish anything in his life.

Posted by: JackBlack ()
Date: February 22, 2010 07:42PM

If he was so involved with his kids, how come of all the photos posted online of him, not ONE depicts him with either one of his children? Yeah, Father of the Year.

Dirk
Posted by: Dem ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:31PM

I agree brother and sisters this has been a draining experience and I trust, the fairfax police know what they are doing, i have spent many nights on dirks couch and have attended a majority of his dinner parties and after hours... and Yet, I still cant believe Cara is not a murder. Yet, i think Cara is a loud, squeaky and obnoxious... and acts stupid when she is drunk.

i do believe there was a huge fight, I do believe dirk and cara loved each other and i do believe, cara screwed up and not knowing the gun was loaded she shot dirk. Which is proably the reason why cara wasnt arrested...

I believe there was a third party involved... which caused this fight, I believe, this person (she) hasn't come out in the open, this person has not chosen to revel herself because dirk believes in an open relationships. Cara found this out... I believe nothing is more important than knowing that missing hour when the roommates were in the there rooms and dirk was making up with Cara or were they continuing to fight?

What is missing my friends, is intent... friends

Re: Dirk
Date: February 22, 2010 08:40PM

Dem Wrote:

"I still can't believe Cara is not a murderer."

Wait, so........you're saying that she IS a murderer? Or that she isn't? If you CAN'T believe that she's NOT a murderer, then that means she IS one, right? But then you say that it was an accident. Or.......did you mean that she didn't murder anyone? And then you said that the "third party" is remaining concealed because Dirk believed in OPEN relationships? If he was open, and he dated Cara for over a year, then why wouldn't she know that it was an open relationship? And why would this "third party" be hiding in the dark if Dirk wanted everything out in the open? It's all very confusing.

Posted by: RedCrow ()
Date: February 22, 2010 11:09PM

Um, yeah. I knew one of his child's mothers very well. To say he was a good father involved with his kids minimizes the pain he caused them and gives him more credit than he deserves. He wanted nothing to do with his daughter. He always bailed out on his visitation dates at the last minute, breaking that poor little girl's heart every time. When he did show up, he was usually hung over or drunk, and he always cut the visit short.

Also, YOU may not have known about his older daughter, but he did. I was told about her when she was very young, and then quickly instructed not to tell anyone I knew about her, because it was this big secret and he didn't want to claim her. Disgraceful.

There is no reason to disparage the dead; but there is no reason to gloss over there mistakes and put them on a pedestal, either.

Date: February 22, 2010 11:46PM

"I believe there was a third party involved... which caused this fight, I believe, this person (she) hasn't come out in the open, this person has not chosen to revel herself because dirk believes in an open relationships. Cara found this out..."

So, basically, what you're saying is that he was cheating on her. Because it's not an "open relationship" unless everyone involved knows it's an "open relationship." Otherwise, it's just plain old cheating. Let's call it what it was.

Posted by: Brian G ()
Date: February 23, 2010 07:34AM

RIP. This nutjob can now party in hell with those two stupid girls who hit the concrete barrier with the Jaguar.

Posted by: overit ()
Date: February 23, 2010 07:42AM

Sounds like the two stupid girls were in an accident. Were they intoxicated/doing drugs?

Date: February 23, 2010 08:26AM

What two stupid girls? Is this something that just happened?

Date: February 23, 2010 08:30AM

Old news ^^^

Our Dirk
Posted by: Erica W ()
Date: February 23, 2010 09:54AM

Please lest stop bickering as it does not do Dirk any good.

First, Dirk and Cara were in an open relationship from the start and had only been together about 9 months. They used each other for sex and drugs and that’s it and there was no love in the relation. Please remember that Dirks public face is different from his private. I was there when Cara first approached Dirk and I and when she vanished for a year and then came back. I do know that Dirk was NOT a beater. I was with him for years and while we could have royal shouting matches he never hit me. Cara is a heavy drinker and pill popper who has a big mouth and loves to instigate. She also liked to be roughed up in the bedroom. It’s how she got off and yes I was there so don’t try to tell me I don’t know what I am talking about.

Cara pulled the trigger and why the gun was brought into an argument we will never know. Cara was knowledgeable about guns and so for her to have pulled the trigger means she meant to kill. You don’t point a gun and pull the trigger unless it’s to kill, I don’t care how mad you are at someone. She will pay for what she has done but the courts will take time.

As for his children, Dirk was not given the chance to be with his children. He tried when he could but it was very hard. He cared for the youngest when she very small before she was taken and the older he did not know about at first and had some doubts but he did not deny that she could be his. I never had contact with the older daughter but we did have time with his younger child and he loved her very much and it was his plan for her to eventually live with him. I did send in pictures of him with his youngest but they were not posted online. We did have multiple pictures up around the house of his youngest and he was very proud of her. I am glad he got so much time with her last year and that he really made the effort to be a dad.

Dirk was human and mortal (much to our surprise) and his death is a great loss to all his friends. Dirk loved his friends and the Goth scene and I hope that each of us loved him to the best we could. Despite his faults and the fact that he was a pain in butt to live with he was a good man who did not deserve to die like this. I for one will miss him very much.

Posted by: overit ()
Date: February 23, 2010 02:17PM

Erica,

Sounds like you had a sexual relationship with Cara also. Why would you be so quick to say she pulled the trigger? Any thoughts on how the gun got loaded?

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.