HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speed humps: crock of shit
Posted by: rtcpenguin ()
Date: May 04, 2005 12:01AM

Has anyone else's neighborhood become infested by these abominations?

VDOT laid about 5 of them in my neighborhood about 7 years ago, and just recently another 3 more. These things are fucking ridiculous. The ones they laid initially weren't so bad, as I could still speed over them at 30-40 mph, but these new ones are speed mountains. I have to slow to about 3mph. In fact, there is one off 236 and Guinea Road that is so large, it is impossible to not bottom out my Prelude.

I thought VDOT's job was to maintain the roads to the best of their ability so that my car will last more than 5 years. At this rate, they might as well stop maintaining the roads and just let potholes form. They'd have pretty much the same effect as speed humps--we'd all have to drive slow as shit to avoid destroying our cars. I'm afraid I'm going to get rear-ended whenever I slow to a crawl to go over one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed humps: crock of shit
Posted by: ben ()
Date: May 04, 2005 12:46AM

rtcpenguin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone else's neighborhood become infested by
> these abominations?
>
> VDOT laid about 5 of them in my neighborhood about
> 7 years ago, and just recently another 3 more.
> These things are fucking ridiculous. The ones they
> laid initially weren't so bad, as I could still
> speed over them at 30-40 mph, but these new ones
> are speed mountains. I have to slow to about 3mph.
> In fact, there is one off 236 and Guinea Road that
> is so large, it is impossible to not bottom out my
> Prelude.
>
> I thought VDOT's job was to maintain the roads to
> the best of their ability so that my car will last
> more than 5 years. At this rate, they might as
> well stop maintaining the roads and just let
> potholes form. They'd have pretty much the same
> effect as speed humps--we'd all have to drive slow
> as shit to avoid destroying our cars. I'm afraid
> I'm going to get rear-ended whenever I slow to a
> crawl to go over one.

My neighborhood is putting them in sometime in the future.

They drive me crazy. If the speed limit is 25 mph, they should install a traffic calming device that can be crossed at 25 mph with no effects.

My suspension bottoms out over speed humps at greater than about 5 mph and speed bumps at almost any speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2005 12:46AM by ben.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: May 04, 2005 02:25AM

Yeah, Fillingame Rd in Chantilly got some massive speed humps a couple years ago.
They're tricky too. The first one is nothing, I cruise over it at 30mph all the time in my eclipse, but the next two are ridiculous. Probably the same type as the ones they put in your area. I have to virtually come to a stop in order to not slam my front bumper into the asphalt.

The road is torn up to all hell right after the second speed hump from people thinking it will be a sissy hump like the first.

Posted by: PhilLesh ()
Date: May 21, 2005 10:20PM

Yeah, traffic calming measures are much better.

Even the squiggly lines on the outside edge of a lane, like in London, are pretty effective.

But this is a brute-force nation. Everything has to be horribly over the top. Like how we decide to pull over and ticket people for not wearing seatbelts, instead of, like in Germany, allowing insurance companies to deny coverage for injuries incurred while not wearing a seatbelt.

Enforcement and force are less effective, but somehow much more desirable in this country.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 23, 2005 06:22AM

PhilLesh,

> "Enforcement and force are less effective, but somehow much more desirable in this country."

The people in control want more control. Good thing we have the checks-and-balances system... because it works... wait, no it doesnt.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: jimmy johnson ()
Date: January 25, 2006 03:04PM

What was the posted speed limit when yoy were going ver the first speed humps at 30-40 mph? Most likely, you were going 40-50 mph. That's the reason the second group were installed, because of people like you. Speed studies were done, and the average speed was at least 10-15 mph over the posted speed limit. If drivers had observed the speed limits in the first place, there would be no speed humps now.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: January 26, 2006 01:03AM

Well those humps also slow all emergency vehicles going across them. I also noticed Kaine is raising registration fees, taxes, and other stuff too despite the surplus. Isn't it nice how the road funds aren't used exclusively for roads but have loans taken out on them for other things? California does the same shit with their state gasoline tax that is supposed to go to maintaining/building roads but instead they divert it to whatever they please.

Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: February 08, 2006 07:23PM

You should see the ones on Yates Ford Rd. in Clifton. My vette scrapes unless i do 2mph over them. Enjoy.

Posted by: jippsgk ()
Date: February 13, 2006 08:47PM

Those speed bumps in Annandale are even bigger. At least they were smaller than the piece of guard rail that my car ran over today...

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 14, 2006 09:50AM

I am glad they are in my neighborhood because people speed through my development wat too much, and the dumbass excuses for parents let their kids play in the street even with the speeder problem. Then again the snow plows keep taking chunks out of them... a few more storms to go and they'll be gone.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 14, 2006 02:57PM

if you are dumb enough to be in the street and killed by a car in front of your own house, that is just natural selection.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: February 21, 2006 05:49PM

I hate speed humps with the passion....

Posted by: econ ()
Date: February 22, 2006 09:04PM

jimmy johnson Wrote:
> What was the posted speed limit when yoy were
> going ver the first speed humps at 30-40 mph? Most
> likely, you were going 40-50 mph. That's the
> reason the second group were installed, because of
> people like you. Speed studies were done, and the
> average speed was at least 10-15 mph over the
> posted speed limit. If drivers had observed the
> speed limits in the first place, there would be
> no speed humps now.

hahaha you loser you bumped a thread from last year to talk shit about speedbumps .. i hate self righteous fags

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: February 22, 2006 10:49PM

This is my idea of a "speed hump."

Heh, heh....

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=28

Posted by: god ()
Date: March 13, 2007 07:53AM

Anyone know I can get approval to have speed humps put on my street? Speed on the highway, not thru my neighborhhod.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 14, 2007 01:45PM

why are they called speed humps and not the traditional speed bumps? just sounds dirty

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: March 14, 2007 05:05PM

I work for Ffx Co and am sadly, quite familiar with this subject.

Speed bumps are the smaller (in width) more abrupt ones like you have in shopping centers or on privately-owned roads. Speed humps are the larger ones...speed tables are smoother on top, if painted with lines like a crosswalk, they're called raised crosswalks (duh) but they're the same as a speed table.

Anyway, VDOT doesn't just unilaterally come put these things in. There are many steps to a long drawn out process that a community has to go thru to get them. Someone asked how they could get them on a street in their neighborhood...preliminary qualifications are a 25 mph speed limit. If your road is posted 25 mph, your homeowners/civic association (if there's no association, a letter signed by ten residences is acceptable) can ask your board of supervisors member to have the FCDOT review the road for traffic calming. The FCDOT will lay counters out to measure speed and volume. To qualify, it must have a volume of 600-4000 cars a day with the 85th percentile of cars going at least 10 mph over the speed limit. If it meets those req'ts, a petition is circulated wherein a certain percentage of people have to support some sort of traffic calming measure. Then a community task force is formed and several meetings are held, the community comes up w/a plan that has to be approved by VDOT. Finally there's a ballot vote and if the support is there, VDOT is notified and installs the devices, which takes a couple of months. Anyway, my point was that it is not an easy thing to get speed humps, and it's not the state, it's your neighbors, who wanted them there.

Date: March 14, 2007 05:06PM

For more info., here's the FCDOT site that gives an overview...http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/rtap.htm#traffic_calm

Posted by: no way ()
Date: March 14, 2007 05:46PM

my neighbor asked me to sign some letter asking for speed humps on the street. She said it isn't safe for her kids to play in the street due to speeding cars.
Am I the only one that saw something wrong with that statement?

I didnt sign it and to this day she parks her car in front of my house to take up the space I usually park in.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: March 14, 2007 08:07PM

It seems to me that speed humps are going out of style. The new thing seems to be placing stop signs every block or two on long residential streets where late-for-work folks like to drive 50-80 mph in a 25 zone. The stop signs gotta be a lot cheaper than digging up the street, right?

So, how do you speedracers handle the frequent stop signs? Do you just blow through them....or do you slow up a bit?

Date: March 14, 2007 08:35PM

what I hate about the speed humps is if an ambulance needs to get down the street and then come back out with a patient. If the person was suffering from a neck injury or had an iv put in that cant be good to be slowing down and speeding up over the humps.

As far as the stop signs I just suffer through them like most people. After a few years in this area you learn to put up with a lot of shit, it is just one more thing.

Date: March 15, 2007 08:51AM

my neighbor asked me to sign some letter asking for speed humps on the street. She said it isn't safe for her kids to play in the street due to speeding cars.
Am I the only one that saw something wrong with that statement?

I didnt sign it and to this day she parks her car in front of my house to take up the space I usually park in.

What a b1tch! I'm not suprised though...just out of curiosity, what community do you live in? I may have dealt with the woman myself.

I have never understood the "but it's not safe for my children to be in the street" reasoning. Your children aren't supposed to be in the street anyway, it's a ROADWAY. Another joke is those "Watch for Children" signs; because you know we don't keep an eye out for them and just run over them when those signs aren't there. You wouldn't believe how many requests the county gets for those unenforcable signs.

As far as emergency response equipment goes, studies have shown (according to the info. FCDOT gave me) an increase in response time of 3-10 seconds, depending on the type of device and the type of vehicle. Some people think that it's a worthy trade off; 24 hours of speed enforcement (and thus increased safety) via speed hump for an increase in emergency response time, which may or may not occur frequently.

Me, I hate speed humps immensely.

Posted by: Bean her ()
Date: March 15, 2007 12:58PM

mexicans make good speed bumps...

Date: March 15, 2007 04:17PM

Attachments:
beanerracist.jpg

Date: March 15, 2007 05:35PM

It is the burke centre area. I guess she didnt get the humps because they havent shown up yet and it has been a good two years.

I didnt know much about emergency response time but didnt think it could be good for the patient to bounce around.

In alexandria when they first put them in the drivers would slow down and then lean on their horn all the way over the bump. Oops how did that happen.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 15, 2007 06:01PM

> In alexandria when they first put them in the
> drivers would slow down and then lean on their
> horn all the way over the bump. Oops how did that
> happen.

LMAO!

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: March 15, 2007 09:08PM

Lucky for me the dumbass snow plower's in the burke centre area plowed up one of the nasty speed bumps in my parking lot a few weeks ago :)

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: March 15, 2007 10:05PM

no way Wrote:
> I didnt sign it and to this day she parks her car
> in front of my house to take up the space I
> usually park in.

Get a tire valve stem remover and crack the valve stem on one or two of her tires to all the air out and close the stems back up. Yeah, she'll be stranded and make 10 trips to the local tire store with "flats" that have nothing wrong with 'em (and she'll get the impression the tire jockies are a bunch of dipshits because they can't find the cause of the flats). Sooner or later she'll get the hint or you can lay claim once she has her car at the shop.

Eh - who am I kidding! She sounds like the type that'll drive on four flat tires for three months and then sue firestone because her SUV flipped over.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 15, 2007 10:47PM

Thats actually a good idea, i have seen it done and the victim is pissed b/c they can't figure out wtf is wrong.

Posted by: VA Driver ()
Date: March 16, 2007 04:13PM

gesoffen Wrote:
> Eh - who am I kidding! She sounds like the type
> that'll drive on four flat tires for three months
> and then sue firestone because her SUV flipped
> over.

Haha. Too true ;P

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 16, 2007 04:51PM

myspaceaddict Wrote:
> Lucky for me the dumbass snow plower's in the
> burke centre area plowed up one of the nasty speed
> bumps in my parking lot a few weeks ago :)

Well, I guess they weren's such dumbasses after all eh? You dumb piece of crap. That's like saying thanks to my retarded friend who helped me study and get an A on a test.

Date: March 16, 2007 05:22PM

Except that the result of your analogy is a universally-held good result, while the result of his is a dumbass destroying infrastructure which for some is good but not for those who have to cough up the money to replace it.

Date: March 16, 2007 05:42PM

You made a valid point, however HE hates speed bumps and HE is glad they are gone yet calls the person who destroyed them that. It doesn't have to be a universal thing. And in terms of paying for a replacement, it is probably one of many things our taxes go towards so to him it won't be a big problem.

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: March 16, 2007 11:12PM

Dear Mariocrap, I am a she. So STFU. Happy St.Patricks Day in 50 minutes :)

Posted by: not too smart ()
Date: March 18, 2007 08:43PM

no way Wrote:

> In alexandria when they first put them in the
> drivers would slow down and then lean on their
> horn all the way over the bump. Oops how did that
> happen.

That's the best idea I've heard. We should post signs near every speed hump, "Honk if you hate speed humps"

Date: March 19, 2007 08:55AM

And in terms of paying for a replacement, it is probably one of many things our taxes go towards so to him it won't be a big problem

Nah, speed humps in a parking lot will be coming out of her association dues; just like the costs of the plower who took out the speed bump. Burke Centre owns/maintains its parking lots and some of its roads.

Date: March 19, 2007 09:28AM

thank you for explaning that. I also noticed my tranny post got delted...LOL

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 19, 2007 05:06PM

noticeing the title of this thread, it give me the idea of stewing shit in a crock pot. That would be an interesting thing to do to someone you hate

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 19, 2007 05:13PM

or you could just lay down 5 speed humps a yard apart in front of his house. that would be real awesome

Posted by: not too smart ()
Date: March 21, 2007 07:19PM

Better yet, put them in his driveway.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: March 25, 2007 07:34PM

Or even better.....slow the F@@@ down. Do you realize that is because of people like you that we have to have speedbumps all over the place? which btw "speedbump" does not means that you have to take them at high speed. maybe thats why you are scraping the crap out of the bottom of your car.....

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 25, 2007 11:28PM

Yeah it is interesting that people who petition to get these put in get them placed away from their property.

Posted by: ArlingtonTheTownThatNeverFizzles ()
Date: March 21, 2018 08:26PM

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS A CROCK OF SHIT? FAIRFAX COUNTY

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.