HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
want to get my high school degree in fcps
Posted by: Jack ... ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:11PM

I been thinking I want my high school diploma what can I do to get it? I doped out of high school in Sep 2005. here are my grades. Do they have an aduit school and is it free for someone who unemployed?? just looking for some help not sure who or what to do. They said the GED but the ged is it hard for someone who can't read very well? I just want to get a high school degree without taking the ged like the same degree the high schooler gets,
English 9 D
World history 1 D+
Algebra 1 part 1 D
BIOLOGY F
HEALTH AND PE 9 F
BASIC SKILLS D+
ART D

ENGLISH 10 F
WORLD HISTORY 2 F
ALGEBRA 1 F
BIOLOGY D
HEALTH PE F
BASIC SKILLS C
AUTO TEACH F

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: want to get my high school degree in fcps
Posted by: Question? ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:15PM

Have you tried calling FCPS to see if they have a program to help you?

Posted by: Strayer all the way ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:27PM

Just go straight to Strayer. Fog a mirror and cut a check and you're in. Fuck the GED.

Posted by: 6MCpe ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:34PM

Your old grades don't matter. You're too old for regular high school. You can take classes and tutoring to prepare to take the GED exams. If you don't read well you can be helped to improve. You need reading skills to get ahead, with or without a diploma.

Fairfax County has classes and tutoring for adults, and it looks like they have information sessions almost every day.
Fairfax County Adult High School:
http://www.fcps.edu/adulths/

Posted by: G3vUV ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:53PM

Strayer all the way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just go straight to Strayer. Fog a mirror and cut
> a check and you're in. Fuck the GED.

I doubt that a for-profit school that charges $1420 per course (minimum 20 courses for an AA, 40 for a BA) is the best choice for a high-school dropout (or, really for anybody).
http://www.strayer.edu/tuition

But remedial and entry-level courses at NOVA might be an option.
http://www.nvcc.edu/future-students/index.html

Posted by: Troll Busting With Factual Info ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:54PM

Since you want a regular diploma and not a GED, you will have to attend adult high school.

Adult high school is not free, but if you explain your situation to one of the counselors listed at http://www.fcps.edu/adulths/ahs/ahsenroll.html, you may be able to work something out.

Before posting again, read this:

Fairfax County Adult High School Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.fcps.edu/adulths/ahs/ahsfaq.html

Who is eligible to attend the adult high school?

Residents of Fairfax County who are 18 years of age and older (no age limit) and who do not have a high school diploma.

How much does it cost?

Fees vary, but will be no more than $25 per course. (Correspondence courses have higher fees.)

When are classes held?

For both day and evening, classes are held Monday through Thursday. Day classes meet from 8:45 - 11:45 a.m. and 12:15 - 3:15 p.m. Evening classes meet from 4-6:30 p.m. and 7-9:30 p.m. It is much like a college schedule. There are no classes on Fridays. Students may enroll in one to four classes at any given time.

How are adult high school classes the same as regular high school classes? How are they different?

They both follow Virginia and Fairfax County curricular requirements and result in a credit toward graduation upon successful completion of a class. Successful completion may also require passing end-of-course SOL tests. Classes at the adult high school are different in that successful completion of a class is based on demonstration of course mastery, not on the amount of time a learner attends a class. Classes are specifically designed to meet the various needs of adults.

Are there other ways in addition to attending traditional classes to get some of the credits I need for graduation?

Yes. Learners can get dual enrollment credit by attending NOVA. The FCAHS has established a partnership with NOVA which gives students the opportunity to take the one-credit Skill Development Class (SDV) here on campus and transfer the credit to NOVA. Correspondence courses, which are done independently, are also available.

Are the requirements for the adult high school diploma different from those for a regular high school diploma?

Requirements are the same, except that adult students do not have to complete physical education classes.

How many credits do I need for graduation?

It depends upon the year you entered the ninth grade. The number of required credits could be anywhere from 16 to 20 credits for a standard diploma.

How long does each class take? Does it take nine months to finish a class like in regular high school?

There is no set time limit to finish a class because a learner finishes when he/she has met the standards for the class. It usually takes about seven months to complete a class, but it may take more or less time, depending on learner attendance and rate of progress.

I have finished a class, when I can start a new class?

You can start a new class the first week of each month. You do not have to wait until the next enrollment period.

How long will it take to graduate?

It all depends on how many credits you need. When the counselor reviews your transcript, she will work out a graduation plan with you. The fewer credits you need, the sooner you will graduate.

If I have a high school diploma from my country, can I enroll in the adult high school and get a US diploma?

No, the adult high school is only for students who do not already have a high school diploma. If you already have a diploma from your country, you do not need another diploma. You need to move on to NOVA or other post-secondary option.

What if I am just beginning to learn English and do not have a high school diploma from my country? Where do I start?

You would start at one of the Transitional ESOL High Schools to earn beginning English, math, science, and social studies credits. Then, when your English progresses to a higher level, you would move on to the adult high school and continue working toward your high school diploma.

Posted by: NPYkT ()
Date: April 24, 2014 11:25PM

Virginia requires students to stay in school until they are 18, so it is unlikely you attended FCPS, as you appear to have dropped out at about 16, presumably the end of your sophomore year. Why the interest in FCPS specifically then? And why would a dropout keep his or her failing grades for 9 years?

At any rate, the maximum age a Virginia high school student can be is 18, so you can't get a diploma from FCPS, as another poster pointed out. The best you can do is a GED.

But don't let that discourage you. I once worked with a woman at a local university who moved to the area as a high school dropout (rough childhood apparently), and got a low level job at the school. She obtained a GED, and 9 years later had a BS and a PhD in biology. She was an excellent researcher, and wasn't afraid to make mistakes, which is a good quality in a post Doc. She could also curse a blue streak, much to the concertation of some tenured old fools, who had traveled with Darwin on the Beagle and didn't have the good graces to die off.

And where is she today? Tenured at a school in a southwestern state.

So keep at it. Anything's possible with effort.

Posted by: Incorrect ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:10AM

You actually can get a high school degree as an older adult through ACE's program through ffx public schools. Also, for the snobs on here, a GED doesn't equate stupidity and a high school diploma doesn't equate brilliance. I have a GED with a bachelor's and masters in economics and computer science.
NPYkT Wrote:
> Virginia requires students to stay in school until
> they are 18, so it is unlikely you attended FCPS,
> as you appear to have dropped out at about 16,
> presumably the end of your sophomore year. Why
> the interest in FCPS specifically then? And why
> would a dropout keep his or her failing grades for
> 9 years?
>
> At any rate, the maximum age a Virginia high
> school student can be is 18, so you can't get a
> diploma from FCPS, as another poster pointed out.
> The best you can do is a GED.
>
> But don't let that discourage you. I once worked
> with a woman at a local university who moved to
> the area as a high school dropout (rough childhood
> apparently), and got a low level job at the
> school. She obtained a GED, and 9 years later had
> a BS and a PhD in biology. She was an excellent
> researcher, and wasn't afraid to make mistakes,
> which is a good quality in a post Doc. She could
> also curse a blue streak, much to the concertation
> of some tenured old fools, who had traveled with
> Darwin on the Beagle and didn't have the good
> graces to die off.
>
> And where is she today? Tenured at a school in a
> southwestern state.
>
> So keep at it. Anything's possible with effort.

Posted by: umm ()
Date: April 25, 2014 05:23PM

I dont know the poster but Virginia you can drop out 16 with your parents permission. maybe he went to pick up his transcript?

NPYkT Wrote:
> Virginia requires students to stay in school until
> they are 18, so it is unlikely you attended FCPS,
> as you appear to have dropped out at about 16,
> presumably the end of your sophomore year. Why
> the interest in FCPS specifically then? And why
> would a dropout keep his or her failing grades for
> 9 years?
>
> At any rate, the maximum age a Virginia high
> school student can be is 18, so you can't get a
> diploma from FCPS, as another poster pointed out.
> The best you can do is a GED.
>
> But don't let that discourage you. I once worked
> with a woman at a local university who moved to
> the area as a high school dropout (rough childhood
> apparently), and got a low level job at the
> school. She obtained a GED, and 9 years later had
> a BS and a PhD in biology. She was an excellent
> researcher, and wasn't afraid to make mistakes,
> which is a good quality in a post Doc. She could
> also curse a blue streak, much to the concertation
> of some tenured old fools, who had traveled with
> Darwin on the Beagle and didn't have the good
> graces to die off.
>
> And where is she today? Tenured at a school in a
> southwestern state.
>
> So keep at it. Anything's possible with effort.

Posted by: I Don't Know Jack ()
Date: April 25, 2014 05:33PM

And the OP apparently, from his grades, doesn't know Jack Shit!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ()
Date: April 26, 2014 07:23AM

If only OP had a brain! Good luck, Scarecrow!

Posted by: vixis ()
Date: April 26, 2014 08:10AM

Employers today are being very picky as to who they hire, good luck finding a job even with a diploma. I have been working 33+ years having a diploma, was laid off 1/31/14 after 4 years working in Herndon. Prior to that was 10 years as a defense contractor with the Navy in DC, I was shocked to see how many employers want college degrees for jobs that don't warrant needing a degree. The best part, employers don't want to pay shit for a degree but yet demand them. I work with a temp agency now, it may not be full time but it helps pay the bills. At one time, going for a college degree meant you wanted to be in the fields of Science, Medical, Legal, Engineering, etc. but demanding degrees for entry level positions like Receptionist, General Office Worker, and File Clerk is outrageous.

Posted by: Call Me Master ()
Date: April 26, 2014 08:38AM

vixis Wrote:
> Employers today are being very picky as to who
> they hire, good luck finding a job even with a
> diploma. I have been working 33+ years having a
> diploma, was laid off 1/31/14 after 4 years
> working in Herndon. Prior to that was 10 years as
> a defense contractor with the Navy in DC, I was
> shocked to see how many employers want college
> degrees for jobs that don't warrant needing a
> degree. The best part, employers don't want to pay
> shit for a degree but yet demand them. I work with
> a temp agency now, it may not be full time but it
> helps pay the bills. At one time, going for a
> college degree meant you wanted to be in the
> fields of Science, Medical, Legal, Engineering,
> etc. but demanding degrees for entry level
> positions like Receptionist, General Office
> Worker, and File Clerk is outrageous.

And what was your degree in? You're unclear if you meant HS or college diploma. What did you do as a defense contractor? I came to the area with a degree in Comp Sci, and since then my employers have paid for an additional BS in Comp Networking, a 2-year grad cert in InfoSec, a Masters' in Engineering Management, and a Masters (FA) in Comp Forensics. Of course if you're working in the mail room and aspire to nothing else, employers may not encourage much more.

Having a degree is just a check mark for consideration on many govt contracts. The govt sends out the requirements for candidates. I've worked proposals and see this often. The proposal team takes the requirements, looks at candidates, and reworks resumes to spin them into a good fit for submission back to the govt. Very often, no degree takes you out of the running. And don't bother with degrees in Humanities, Social Work, Art History, English, Lesbian/Black Studies, Basket Weaving, etc.

A HS degree today is like saying you've finished grade school. BFD.

Posted by: Reading Is Fundamental ()
Date: April 26, 2014 09:07AM

Jack ... Wrote:
> I been thinking I want my high school diploma what
> can I do to get it? I doped out of high school
> in Sep 2005. here are my grades. Do they have an
> aduit school and is it free for someone who
> unemployed?? just looking for some help not sure
> who or what to do. They said the GED but the ged
> is it hard for someone who can't read very well?
> I just want to get a high school degree without
> taking the ged like the same degree the high
> schooler gets,

You "doped out of high school"? I think we just figured our why you're unemployed.

Posted by: Question for Vixis ()
Date: April 26, 2014 09:15AM

vixis Wrote:
> I have been working 33+ years having a
> diploma, was laid off 1/31/14 after 4 years
> working in Herndon.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

The problem in your case is pretty clear also. A "diploma" is a piece of paper issued by a school after completion of given coursework. The relevant information is not that you have some piece of paper, but what "degree" was granted by successful completion of your studies. So tell us, what is your degree in, and what type of degree is it?

Second, that you worked in Herndon is irrelevant. That's an area in Virginia. What type of company did you work for and what did you do? I'm guessing you weren't a CEO nor an engineer or other skilled professional.

Posted by: wendyts ()
Date: May 06, 2014 09:21AM

Who calls it degree?

Posted by: REAL OR FAKE ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:16PM

DUMBASS

Posted by: got milk? ()
Date: December 02, 2018 09:57PM

Do we have a follow up? Did this guy ever earned his "degree"?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.