HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS BUS DRIVERS
Posted by: FHS STUDENT ()
Date: April 23, 2014 09:50PM

What going on with the bus drivers? Our Bus driver resigned last month. his name was Mr.Ali. Since his resigned we have had different bus drivers almost every day, do they are using subs and or supervisors on the run. Any reason why FCPS doesn't have bus drivers? I herd they get paid $17 an hour, but I remember Mr.Ali saying something like he "can only work 25 hours a week, and he has to take a long lunch break after the elementary schools runs are over"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS BUS DRIVERS
Posted by: Jack Lacey ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:54PM

It's one bus driver who left. It has nothing to do with the other thousand.

Posted by: Lived here forever ()
Date: April 24, 2014 06:13AM

Mason Shuttle pays $20/hr. Guess which one I'd rather do (and not just for the money). Not bad if you need some extra money and have a CDL.

Posted by: LouDytEhcLoWn ()
Date: April 24, 2014 09:12AM

why are the busses so damn loud. Crazy loud engines and the brakes hiss or squeal at every stop. Youd think with the largest fleet of school busses in the Nation we would have better busses.

Posted by: used to do it ()
Date: April 24, 2014 11:00AM

They have a huge, huge turnover. When all other FCPS positions are frozen, they still hire bus drivers. That's because most drivers don't last long. There were 8 drivers in my class in 2009. One is still driving.

The job sucks is why. The starting pay, $18 an hour I think, sounds good but it's hard for most drivers to get more than 20 some hours a week. And for that, you have to go to and from work TWICE every day. You often sit around waiting for free as much as you are driving and being paid. Then you have 2.5 months in the summer where you are essentially unemployed although you cannot apply for unemployment.

Plus, management has created an EXTREMELY hostile work environment. They go out of their way to be nasty (unless you're one of their relatives).

Then there is the decrepit bus fleet. That's why I quit. My bus should have been in the junkyard years ago. The fumes, noise, shaking and rattling actually became painful after a while. You have to work there at least ten years before you get an even halfway decent bus, so I said fuck it after one year.

Posted by: phil muhcrackin ()
Date: April 24, 2014 02:48PM

And it's lilely to get worse. If they have to hire 100 more drivers so the high school students can sleep more and start classes later, it likely means less hours for drivers. Currently drivers do elementary runs for 2-3 schools after their high school runs. But under the new proposed plan, drivers may only have one run. Not enough hours means they will quit. How do they expect them to pay their bills? Oh,wait, it's only 1200 or 1300 drivers....Dr Garza says screw them. This is not Texas- just try to keep those jobs filled.

Posted by: DcYjp ()
Date: April 24, 2014 07:46PM

Dr Garza

1) please give me the web address of her dissertation that she couldn't have copied from elsewhere. i doubt it. in the past that title was not used in media why now ?

2) she is doctoring, your stupid american banks

Posted by: Whopper ()
Date: April 25, 2014 12:51PM

FCPS pays the bus drivers well. This is evident when you look at them. They ain't starving!

FCPS bus drivers. Fat in the butt, fat in the gut.

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:07PM

Lived here forever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mason Shuttle pays $20/hr. Guess which one I'd
> rather do (and not just for the money). Not bad
> if you need some extra money and have a CDL.

Mason Shuttles, operated by Reston Limousine, does pay $20/ hour, but offers NO benefits whatsoever, and sending you about every 6-8 weeks for a pee-in-the-bottle drug test.

At least with FCPS you do get good benefits.

Posted by: Do it ()
Date: August 18, 2017 11:30PM

Is the bus driver training made for you to pass?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.