HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
To the Fairfax Police - Flashing headlights to warn other drivers about speed traps is protected as free speech, judge rules after driver successfully fights a $260 ticket
Posted by: flasherman ()
Date: April 11, 2014 01:44PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Watch Out (Flash)! Cop Ahead (Flash)! Should Warning Drivers About Police Be Illegal?
Posted by: What do you think? ()
Date: April 13, 2014 05:05AM

Watch Out (Flash)! Cop Ahead (Flash)! Should Warning Drivers About Police Be Illegal?
What do you think?
http://herndon.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/watch-out-flash-cops-ahead-flash-should-warning-drivers-about-police-be-illegal

You've seen it — and maybe even done it — wherever you're driving: Vehicles traveling in opposite directions flash headlights to warn of a cop in the area who's looking for speeders.

When a truck driver in Southern Oregon flashed his lights last fall, he got a $260 ticket.

He wasn't happy. He decided to fight the ticket, and this past week a judge in Oregon voided the citation, finding that motorists flashing their headlights amounts to speech protected by the Oregon Constitution.

• Which raises the question: Do you think warning others of police in the area is helping people break the law, or is it an expression that should be protected? Tell us in comments below.

Re: To the Fairfax Police - Flashing headlights to warn other drivers about speed traps is protected as free speech, judge rules after driver successfully fights a $260 ticket
Posted by: adfdasdfasdasdfda ()
Date: April 13, 2014 07:31PM

I agree with that judge. So what if I flash my lights?

Re: To the Fairfax Police - Flashing headlights to warn other drivers about speed traps is protected as free speech, judge rules after driver successfully fights a $260 ticket
Posted by: what if i flash someone? ()
Date: April 13, 2014 08:04PM

adfdasdfasdasdfda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with that judge. So what if I flash my
> lights?

what if i flash someone?

Posted by: LouderThanHell ()
Date: April 13, 2014 09:11PM

This story happened in OREGON and the DAILY MAIL is in THE UNITED KINGDOM.

This demonstrates HOW BAD the American media is.

Posted by: Mk6VE ()
Date: April 13, 2014 10:03PM

adfdasdfasdasdfda Wrote:
> I agree with that judge. So what if I flash my
> lights?

The police can pretty much write you a ticket for anything. Even if you go to court and win, it will still cost you time from work. And there's no guarantee that you'll win. So if you flash your lights, do it far enough down the road that the cop won't see you or won't be able to catch you.

Posted by: Stupid cops ()
Date: April 13, 2014 10:09PM

And cops wonder why people hate them!

Posted by: Karma is a bitch ()
Date: April 14, 2014 07:57AM

The same people flashing lights are most likely the same idiots complaining about people speeding.

A few years back a neighbor called the police about people running a stop sign in our neighborhood. About a week later there was a cop near the stop sign looking for people running it. Well, he got my neighbor and ticketed him. Karma at its finest.

Posted by: aging debbie does dallas fan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:47PM

yes that's right.

unless maybe the trap is over a hill and traffic is stopped 1/2 down hill, then it's be a warning

there are a few possibilities

but yes, it's illegal to support and enable law breaking

i'm sure that's always been the rule. the ammount of fine: you go look it up i'm sure it was less 30 yrs ago

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 15, 2014 07:33PM

aging debbie does dallas fan Wrote:
> but yes, it's illegal to support and enable law
> breaking

There's a difference between encouraging someone to break the law and warning someone that if he does not immediately cease illegal activity it will result in adverse legal consequences. Flashing your lights at someone falls into the latter category.

Posted by: same goal? ()
Date: April 15, 2014 08:27PM

Don't you need to consider why police are out ticketing speeders?

Isn't it to get them to slow down?

What does someone flashing a speeder do?

Get that person to slow down?

Posted by: centrevillian ()
Date: April 15, 2014 09:16PM

same goal? Wrote:
> Don't you need to consider why police are out
> ticketing speeders?
>
> Isn't it to get them to slow down?
>
> What does someone flashing a speeder do?
>
> Get that person to slow down?

No, the Cops don't care about you slowing down, they care about revenue. They're also looking at your VA State Inspection, license plate decals, and any other potential tickets they can write in the name of revenue. It's all about revenue.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: April 16, 2014 07:50AM

Karma is a bitch Wrote:
> The same people flashing lights are most likely
> the same idiots complaining about people
> speeding.

It's amazing how little sense that makes.

Karma is a bitch, and you're an idiot. :-)

Posted by: more fines more better ()
Date: April 16, 2014 11:57AM

Anyone who drives more than 5 over deserves a ticket. People who speed are stupid or immature. The more tickets the better. The assholes who flash lights deserve a huge fine.

Posted by: LWTdU ()
Date: April 16, 2014 04:46PM

there isn't a freedom of public lying or intentional defamation that causes damage (to non public figures, competitors)

freedom of speach is the right to defend yourself against accusation (ie, in court freely) against false accusation

why is: people who cheat and steal need you to stay quiet about it to get away with it. thus, a media that covers up the real news and etc.

--------------------------------
freedom also just to be whimsical. that becomes limited during the part of facims where they are trying to convict and arrest to collect cash on mere fact your toung has not already been cut out. anything to create a need to prosecute falsely and to prevent public agreement, that is

freedom to do what is good sir, freedom to relax if theres time: not freedom to do what is evil

those who choose to be free to do evil are free to hang in the Navy yard

Posted by: passiveaggressiveneighbor ()
Date: April 17, 2014 01:38AM

Karma is a bitch Wrote:
> The same people flashing lights are most likely
> the same idiots complaining about people
> speeding.
>
> A few years back a neighbor called the police
> about people running a stop sign in our
> neighborhood. About a week later there was a cop
> near the stop sign looking for people running it.
> Well, he got my neighbor and ticketed him. Karma
> at its finest.

My neighbor called the cops about a car with expired tags in front of another neighbor's house instead of just walking over and talking to them. When the cops came to ticket that car, they ran the whole block and issued a handful more tickets. That passive aggressive cunt got one too and became the pariah of the block.

The owner of the car with expired tags found the sticker and put it on, ticket dismissed.

I bet cops do that blanket ticketing just to stop it from happening again.

That cunt got divorced and is selling the house. At least she is nice to your face.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.