HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
fcps schools
Posted by: FCPS ()
Date: April 07, 2014 05:43PM

News Releases

Printer-Friendly Version
Monday, April 07, 2014

All Fairfax County High Schools Make Washington Post's List of Top High Schools in U.S

All Fairfax County high schools* have been designated among the most demanding public schools in the country and are featured in the 2014 Washington Post list of more than 1,900 top U.S. high schools.

Oakton High School had the highest ranking of FCPS high schools on the list, which is based on a formula devised by Washington Post education reporter Jay Mathews. Oakton was ranked 144th on the 2014 list.

Rankings for other Fairfax County Public Schools are: Centreville High School, 169; McLean High School, 177; Woodson High School, 185; Robinson Secondary School, 209; Langley High School, 233; Madison High School, 238; Fairfax High School, 251; Herndon High School, 254; West Potomac High School, 283; Lake Braddock Secondary School, 295; West Springfield High School, 330; Westfield High School, 332; Chantilly High School, 374; South Lakes High School, 407; Marshall High School, 422; South County High School, 456; Hayfield Secondary School, 664; Stuart High School, 823; Edison High School, 839; Lee High School, 944; Falls Church High School, 1229; Annandale High School, 1449; and Mount Vernon High School, 1928.

The Challenge Index measures public and private high schools’ ability to challenge their students. A school’s ranking is determined by dividing the number of college-level tests given by a school to all its students by the number of graduates for that year. The index is designed to identify schools that challenge average students.

###
*Note: Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, which serves students across the region, was not included in the list because of its selective admissions process. It is recognized in a separate group of top-performing schools with elite students. For more information, contact the FCPS Department of Communications and Community Outreach at 571-423-1200.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fcps schools
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: April 07, 2014 05:48PM

How can this be? They miss so much class time because it's too cold or too wet or too sunny or there's a snowflake.

This is BS!

Posted by: LOL^ ()
Date: April 07, 2014 06:30PM

Attachments:
download.jpg

Posted by: Stabitha Fail ()
Date: April 07, 2014 06:40PM

Wow! Another one.

Posted by: tb ()
Date: April 08, 2014 01:44AM

My home school must be the most challenge one because there's one graduate student and I give him 40 college level texts. The index is 40!

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat XDD ()
Date: April 08, 2014 01:52AM

I think this line in the story says it best ...

" ... which is based on a formula devised by Washington Post education reporter Jay Mathews"

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: April 08, 2014 09:21AM

Seeing all these pictures about the terrible school lunches from schools embracing michelle obama's lunch plan. I couldn't find out from fcps.edu whether or not they follow that program or do their own thing. I've seen the lunches at my kid's school and they are pretty good, so i'm guessing Fairfax co. does not partake. Anyone know for sure?

Posted by: Way to go ()
Date: April 08, 2014 02:53PM

This is great news! How did the schools compare to others in the area, such as George mason in FCC? And what about the MD schools?

Posted by: Way to go ()
Date: April 08, 2014 02:53PM

This is great news! How did the schools compare to others in the area, such as George mason in FCC? And what about the MD schools?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.