HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
When are the training classes for new bus drivers?
Posted by: busdriverwannabe ()
Date: June 22, 2013 02:56PM

Hello!

I am looking into applying for a Fairfax County school bus driver position for Special Education students. I understand that there is a 5-week training course for "newbies," if hired. I also understand that the classes are offered every month, but I can't find any information about when (beginning of the month, end of the month, etc.). I need to give the proper two-week notice for my current jobs, but I don't know when the classes begin. Does anyone know?

Many thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When are the training classes for new bus drivers?
Posted by: Been there ()
Date: June 22, 2013 03:23PM

You need to apply and get accepted into the training program. Then you can schedule your class. Also get a CDL learners permit from DMV. You have to pass the written tests for that on your own.

I think they start a new class every couple of weeks. You have to pass the class before they offer a job so be sure you have a backup plan in case the bus doesn't work out.

Posted by: bds ()
Date: June 22, 2013 03:39PM

I don't think there is a set schedule for training classes. They have to wait until they have enough applicants to start a class. There were eight in my class, five of whom finished successfully.

Posted by: DriveForFairfax ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:21PM

Posted by: buss drivel ()
Date: June 22, 2013 11:06PM

If you make it through the training there is no guarantee that you will be driving a special ed bus.

Posted by: used to be ()
Date: June 22, 2013 11:35PM

buss drivel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you make it through the training there is no
> guarantee that you will be driving a special ed
> bus.

There's no guarantee of anything with those hillbillies that run transportation, but when I went through there, they were actively trying to recruit drivers to the special ed side.

I think more new drivers want big bus than want small bus.

Posted by: busdriverwannabe ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:02PM

First of all, I would like to thank each of you for responding!!! It is much appreciated. I will try and respond to all of your input.

(1) I was told by the staff member listed on the county's website for bus driver info that classes were held every month. That's what made me think that there was a set schedule.

(2) I've been talking to someone who has been driving a school bus for Fairfax County for many years, and he gave me quite a few pointers. He also mentioned that when he was going through training years ago, the recruiters were actively looking for Special Ed drivers. I have a sister with cerebral palsy who went to schools for physicially/mentally challenged students, so I am no stranger to that world. I would prefer to drive a smaller bus and hope that most people's desire to drive a big bus works in my favor.

(3) Thanks, DriveforFairfax, for the link. I knew about that site and have been referencing it. I have started gathering the info mentioned on that site. I ordered my DMV record, which is supposed to arrive in 5 days or so (thankfully and miraculously, no driving violations and +5 points on my record). I have my moral/work refs lined up. I need to go ahead and apply online tonight. I recently had a background check in January 2013 when I applied for my part-time job, so I hope I pass again.

I hope that I can pass and make this my last job before retiring (hopefully, only 5-7 years more to go). It will be such a change from the office/medical environment that I am used to. Getting paid as a 10-month employee will also take some getting used to!!! Eeeek!!! But as a medical transcriptionist, I am hoping to get some free lance work on the side to help get me through the months when school is closed for the summer.

Again, thank you all so much for sharing info.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: June 23, 2013 05:34PM

Best of luck to you bus driver wanna be. I currently drive for the county just do what is asked of you to do and follow policy and you should be ok. Great place to work and don't listen to negativity.

Posted by: Whhhhatttttt ()
Date: June 23, 2013 08:41PM

I was going to make a tasteless remark, then you played the "my sister with CP" card.

Best of luck to you. It's figure-out-able.

Posted by: ghoop ()
Date: June 23, 2013 08:54PM

My wife was going to be a bus driver. She went through all the preliminaries and was assigned to an area so far from where we live in the county that it simply wasn't worth it.

They said she couldn't transfer closer to home for one year. So she elected to take an immediate transfer----out the fucking door.

Posted by: buss drivel ()
Date: June 23, 2013 09:08PM

ghoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife was going to be a bus driver. She went
> through all the preliminaries and was assigned to
> an area so far from where we live in the county
> that it simply wasn't worth it.
>
> They said she couldn't transfer closer to home for
> one year. So she elected to take an immediate
> transfer----out the fucking door.

This is generally true but as previously noted on this thread and many others......if you're related to or are buddy buddy with one or more of the upper echelon hillbillies the policies and rules are overlooked.

Posted by: SBD ()
Date: August 16, 2017 01:50PM

How is the training? Is it made for you to pass? Do you get to decide if you will be driving big or small bus?

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: August 16, 2017 02:23PM

Back when I trained in '01, you could pick which area you wanted. At the time, there were 3 areas and Special Ed was the entire county. Things are so different now. I'm now driving on the Eastern Shore where we are contracted.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.