HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
2006 Honda...Do I need the heat shield on my catalytic converter to pass VA inspection and or emissions?
Posted by: NOVA.Motorist ()
Date: July 05, 2017 10:46PM

It fell off after corroding...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2006 Honda...Do I need the heat shield on my catalytic converter to pass VA inspection and or emissions?
Posted by: dry grass ()
Date: July 05, 2017 11:08PM

I really doubt they inspect the cat shield. My experience is they just lift the car enough to take a wheel off to look at the brakes. Be careful parking over dry grass

Re: 2006 Honda...Do I need the heat shield on my catalytic converter to pass VA inspection and or emissions?
Posted by: leafy ()
Date: July 05, 2017 11:19PM

Knew someone who lost their head shield and parked over a pile of leaves in the fall. Entire car became engulfed in flames. Get it fixed, it's there for a reason and you just might forget and park the car in a bad spot.

Posted by: above poster is a faggot ()
Date: July 06, 2017 12:01AM

You'll be fine, the first thing I do with every car I get is remove all the cats. Not having a heat shield is a non issue.

Posted by: gated driveway ()
Date: July 06, 2017 02:13AM

NOVA.Motorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It fell off after corroding...

Why are you so poor that you even care about this?
Have you no education?

Posted by: and ...the ABOVE poster is a fag ()
Date: July 06, 2017 05:21AM

gated driveway Wrote:
> NOVA.Motorist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It fell off after corroding...
>
>
> Why are you so poor that you even care about
> this?
> Have you no education?

Are you a top or a bottom? I'll let you sniff my rosebud...!

Posted by: VLYUT ()
Date: July 06, 2017 07:03AM

No, you do not need heat shields to pass VA inspection.

Posted by: mpdkw ()
Date: July 06, 2017 02:16PM

VLYUT Wrote:
> No, you do not need heat shields to pass VA
> inspection.

I'm an VA safety inspector / emissions diagnostician.

Inspectors should but do not always notice "safety dangers" - especially during emissions inspection: but when they do, you must fix it.

Yes it is the law if an inspector find a probable source of car catching on fire (usual example given is leaking fuel line) they must fix it or fail the car immediately.

FURTHERMORE AN INSPECTOR CAN STATE THE CAR CANNOT BE DRIVEN, AFTER WHICH IT IS ILLEGAL TO REMOVE THE CAR FROM THE TECH SHOP EXCEPT BY TOWING (less likely for your case, but certain if the ps pump line leaks - which it often does)

As the 2nd poster said ...

Posted by: 7T9DV ()
Date: July 06, 2017 02:24PM

leafy Wrote:
> Knew someone who lost their head shield and parked
> over a pile of leaves in the fall. Entire car
> became engulfed in flames. Get it fixed, it's
> there for a reason and you just might forget and
> park the car in a bad spot.

Sure you do. Urban legend.

Posted by: caatmannn ()
Date: July 06, 2017 02:28PM

gated driveway Wrote:
> NOVA.Motorist Wrote:
> -----
> > It fell off after corroding...
>
>
> Why are you so poor that you even care about
> this?
> Have you no education?

Cat replacement can be thousands. A heat shield will not affect the performance of the emissions system. That said replacing the shield should not be very expensive.

Also did you consider the OP has too much education. PhD's adjunct professors make about minimum wage or less at local colleges.

Posted by: FJJJU ()
Date: July 06, 2017 04:12PM

caatmannn Wrote:
> gated driveway Wrote:
> -----
> > NOVA.Motorist Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It fell off after corroding...
> >
> >
> > Why are you so poor that you even care about
> > this?
> > Have you no education?
>
> Cat replacement can be thousands. A heat shield
> will not affect the performance of the emissions
> system. That said replacing the shield should not
> be very expensive.
>
> Also did you consider the OP has too much
> education. PhD's adjunct professors make about
> minimum wage or less at local colleges.

Just ram a broomstick down through the cat and hollow it out.

Posted by: failedcat ()
Date: July 06, 2017 04:17PM

FJJJU Wrote:
> caatmannn Wrote:
> -----
> > gated driveway Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > NOVA.Motorist Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > It fell off after corroding...
> > >
> > >
> > > Why are you so poor that you even care about
> > > this?
> > > Have you no education?
> >
> > Cat replacement can be thousands. A heat
> shield
> > will not affect the performance of the
> emissions
> > system. That said replacing the shield should
> not
> > be very expensive.
> >
> > Also did you consider the OP has too much
> > education. PhD's adjunct professors make about
> > minimum wage or less at local colleges.
>
> Just ram a broomstick down through the cat and
> hollow it out.

The heat shield is located on the outside of the Cat ^idiot above is talking about an illegal and stupid work-around for a failed cat.

Posted by: pvtkm ()
Date: July 06, 2017 04:29PM

mpdkw Wrote:
> I'm an VA safety inspector / emissions
> diagnostician.

You sound like one of those inspectors who looks for an excuse to fail a car. Several years ago the bottom heat shield fell off the kids car. My normally anal mechanic said it probably wan't worth fixing, and the car passed several inspections afterwards before it was sold. If you visit any of the car forums you would know this is a question commonly asked, and that many mechanics will say just run the car without the shields.

The thing is there for a reason, but like the parking brake it is something that won't affect the safe operation of the vehicle by most drivers. It isn't even in the same universe as a leaking fuel line.

Posted by: 999kidiidiiii ()
Date: July 07, 2017 09:55PM

The one on my Honda had corroded through the front two bolts and was hanging down, ready to be torn off by the next speed bump. Fairfax Honda said they would gladly put on a new shield for $400. I went to Lowes and got two stainless steel adjustable hose clamps, ran them around that sucker, cinched it up tight, and its held for four years now. You might be able to redneck a new shield out of a metal coffee can or a piece of sheet metal from Lowes, but I doubt it would hold up to the salt and corrosion. Just DON'T park on leaves until you get it fixed.

Posted by: ymcpd ()
Date: July 07, 2017 11:20PM

#1 never ever listen to the customer. confirm the problem exists, and don't be mislead by erroneous statements

#2 a shop that lets a knowingly dangerous car back on the road, that thereafter catches fire, CAN BE SUED FOR NEGLiGENCE

#3 some asswipe hoping to fish for a lawsuit: a sure thing

i've seen assholes who've been told 5x by a master mechanic to change a timing belt BLAME THE MASTER after his engine locked, skidding his car in traffic

------------------------

OP IS A TROLL. he probably read a problem report on older honda's catching on fire and wanted to show how smart he is

Posted by: pbwcl ()
Date: July 07, 2017 11:30PM

it depends on the car and the know how of the inspector

look what the shield is protecting, and that shows the safety concerns at hand

Posted by: Corrections# 1906326 ()
Date: July 07, 2017 11:31PM

Corrections# 1906326

Posted by: UPDEX ()
Date: July 07, 2017 11:34PM

>Just DON'T park on leaves until you get it fixed.

Please find one documented story of leaves catching fire from a catalytic converter.

Posted by: Howzis? ()
Date: July 08, 2017 07:40PM

UPDEX Wrote:
> >Just DON'T park on leaves until you get it
> fixed.
>
> Please find one documented story of leaves
> catching fire from a catalytic converter.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/bend/catalytic-converter-sparks-10-fires-along-ne-neff-road/88388377

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-man-arrested-starting-cedar-fire-20160929-snap-story.html

http://www.hawaiiwildfire.org/news-center/kahoolawe-fire-sparked-by-catalytic-converter

'nuff said?

Posted by: Fantom.Shitter ()
Date: July 08, 2017 09:35PM

UPDEX Wrote:
> >Just DON'T park on leaves until you get it
> fixed.
>
> Please find one documented story of leaves
> catching fire from a catalytic converter.

Bruh...I haven't seen someone pwned like that since I had an acoustic coupling modem...

Posted by: lxutv ()
Date: July 08, 2017 10:46PM

to pass emissions you pass the gas analyzer test

NO EMISSIONS COMPONENTS ARE ALLOWED TO BE MISSING

but obviously if the component is missing would pass at any speed or throttle - then it is not a factor in the test

---------------------

the truth is it's not a question for dummies to speculate at

DO EXACTLY THE FUCK WHAT THE INSPECTOR SAID unless another master tells you otherwise

Posted by: XBPKW ()
Date: July 09, 2017 06:50AM

Howzis? Wrote:
> UPDEX Wrote:
> -----
> > >Just DON'T park on leaves until you get it
> > fixed.
> >
> > Please find one documented story of leaves
> > catching fire from a catalytic converter.
>
> http://www.ktvz.com/news/bend/catalytic-converter-
> sparks-10-fires-along-ne-neff-road/88388377

No solid evidence. Fires along a road doesn't mean the catalytic converter or even a car was responsible. They never found a car, driver or witness.

> http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-man-ar
> rested-starting-cedar-fire-20160929-snap-story.htm
> l

Ah. You finally found a unicorn, almost. Note it was tall dry grass NOT leaves. So close.

> http://www.hawaiiwildfire.org/news-center/kahoolaw
> e-fire-sparked-by-catalytic-converter

Again, the evidence here was a column of smoke. We had to blame something. So why not catalytic converters?

> 'nuff said?

Yeah, it's an urban legend. Basically the cell phones and gas stations all over again. Yes, a hazard exists exists but extremely unlikely. So unlikely you don't need to worry.

Posted by: Pontiac1. ()
Date: July 09, 2017 07:53AM

Fuck Honda. Get a Chevy Cavalier! Be a good American!
Attachments:
nigmobile.jpg

Posted by: eywwv ()
Date: July 09, 2017 02:45PM

a heat shield may prevent flammable fluid from touching the cat (which would ignite the fluid immediately)

a heat shield may protect wiring or plastic. is the wiring for headlights or for AC? it makes a difference

A HEAD SHIELD MAY increase cat efficiency for a california regulation by dumping heat - but may not be required in VA to meet the standard

many cars do not have heat shields

auto industry releases safety reports that inspectors are SOMETIMES aware of - but not always

-------------------------

the problem here is someone who knows what they're looking at has to look at it :)

Posted by: A Mechanic ()
Date: July 10, 2017 09:49PM

I've seen this exact issue on all Honda's as they age. usually they will rattle and or break off. the problem is they are made of aluminum and they rust around the openings where the bolts go through. You will be fine without the shield. When an Inspector checks your vehicle for an emissions they plug their computer into the Diagnostic port on the car. as long as you have no check engine light on you will pass. the only time an inspector will do more in depth searching is when they hear an exhaust leak or anything of the kind related to the emissions system.

Don't worry you will pass with flying colors

Posted by: Srsly? ()
Date: July 10, 2017 10:12PM

A Mechanic Wrote:
> I've seen this exact issue on all Honda's as they
> age. usually they will rattle and or break off.
> the problem is they are made of aluminum and they
> rust around the openings where the bolts go
> through. You will be fine without the shield. When
> an Inspector checks your vehicle for an emissions
> they plug their computer into the Diagnostic port
> on the car. as long as you have no check engine
> light on you will pass. the only time an inspector
> will do more in depth searching is when they hear
> an exhaust leak or anything of the kind related to
> the emissions system.
>
> Don't worry you will pass with flying colors

Because aluminum totally rusts. Not.

You're not a mechanic, or not one who knows what he's talking about, anyway. Sorry.

Posted by: A Mechanic ()
Date: July 12, 2017 01:09AM

Thanks for you opinion. Your right aluminum does not rust. Honda heat shields are made of some light weight and flimsy metal. Looks and feels like aluminum could be something else. Doesn't negate the point they have an issue where they do actually rust around the bolt holes causing them to get loose and rattle/fall off after a certain amount of time.

But yeah regardless the tech generally wont check the exhaust system unless there is a reason to do so. such as an exhaust leak or some sort of noise.

all they do is hook up their computer to the diagnostic port to make sure there are no check engine lights and that the proper monitors are set. such as the catylytic converter monitor, o2 sensor monitors, and evap monitors. if they really have to they may have to do a tail pipe test.

nothing too crazy.

Posted by: e6ce9 ()
Date: July 12, 2017 01:28AM

> the cheapest part you'll every buy for your car is the dealer mechanic maintenance manual

you cannot look at the technical manuals to decide. they make mistakes in the manual and also electrical diagrams regularly

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.