HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Abandoned/Industrial/Creepy Places?
Posted by: SimpleDarkness ()
Date: January 21, 2009 03:45PM

I'm doing a series of pictures for a class, and as usual I've waited until the last minute.

Are there any places you can think of that would make good creepy photos? I.E. railroad tracks, abandoned houses/warehouses, old playgrounds, etc.?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abandoned/Industrial/Creepy Places?
Date: January 21, 2009 03:54PM

Have they knocked down the abandoned prison in Lorton? If not, that would seem like a good place.

Posted by: SimpleDarkness ()
Date: January 21, 2009 04:15PM

They've turned it into an art facility, and when I called they agreed to let me use it.

Thanks. =D

Posted by: jimW ()
Date: January 21, 2009 04:21PM

west centreville. london towne. that place out behind the library.

Posted by: Artsy ()
Date: January 21, 2009 04:47PM

Merrifield. All of it.

Posted by: tman1423 ()
Date: January 21, 2009 05:00PM

in the Cables Mill area there is a creepy abandon house post a reply if u want the address of it cuz i cant remember it right now

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: January 21, 2009 05:48PM

You can make anything look creepy - just use lighting at dusk, find the right angles, and make minor adjustments using cooling filters in post-production digital work.

That's how I snapped this photo at Eastern State Penn, this is the visitation room:

Posted by: SHI ()
Date: January 21, 2009 06:00PM

Westfield High School. all of it.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: January 21, 2009 06:47PM

Posted by: strates ()
Date: January 21, 2009 06:53PM

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 21, 2009 06:58PM

strates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/virginia_p
> ictures_page.htm

The looney bin looks amazing and beautiful! It's hard to believe no one wanted it after it closed.

Posted by: lck ()
Date: January 21, 2009 07:15PM

Bunnyman Bridge and FILMDEX, if you are looking locally.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: January 21, 2009 07:54PM

Posted by: ian ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:28PM

what is filmdex

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:50PM

ian Wrote:
> what is filmdex

Nothing really. Its a company that deals with photographic supplies.

But if you're bored you can read all the theories here: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/7/17253.html

Posted by: graymoose ()
Date: January 21, 2009 11:10PM

How about the burned up starbucks?

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:12AM

This place is kind of creepy/odd....anyone know the story of this house in historic Centreville? It's spray painted and sits on some primo real estate

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=5719+Mt+gilead+centreville,+va&sll=38.841446,-77.427934&sspn=0.002298,0.005686&ie=UTF8&ll=38.84098,-77.427759&spn=0.001149,0.002843&t=h&z=19

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 22, 2009 07:28AM

Large storm drains under bridges work well for that... they are hard to detect from the road though unless you know they are there.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 22, 2009 08:11AM

this place will be abandoned soon
Attachments:
aol.jpg

Posted by: aasgfas ()
Date: January 22, 2009 08:53AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> This place is kind of creepy/odd....anyone know
> the story of this house in historic Centreville?
> It's spray painted and sits on some primo real
> estate
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g
> eocode=&q=5719+Mt+gilead+centreville,+va&sll=38.84
> 1446,-77.427934&sspn=0.002298,0.005686&ie=UTF8&ll=
> 38.84098,-77.427759&spn=0.001149,0.002843&t=h&z=19

Posted by: sad ()
Date: January 22, 2009 08:54AM

the home trogdor referred to is immediately to the left of this camera view. keep in mind this picture is from 1862

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:58PM

sad Wrote:
> the home trogdor referred to is immediately to the
> left of this camera view. keep in mind this
> picture is from 1862

I think that shot is down Braddock rd. The place I'm talking about is off Gilead rd. It's much newer construction (late 50's?). On a separate note, the county has already given the thumbs up to wrecking historic centreville by approving a Walgreens, Bank of America and an office park ...to be built within a stone's throw of the old stone church. Yea! More pointless development.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:21PM

Posted by: Jim Thorpe ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:01PM

The abandoned tuberculosis hospital in Glendale, Md is pretty spooky:
http://www.opacity.us/image1894_adult_building.htm

Posted by: ddfd ()
Date: January 22, 2009 05:50PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> I think that shot is down Braddock rd. The place
> I'm talking about is off Gilead rd.

That doesn't change the fact that it would still be RIGHT to the left of that shot. MT. Gilead rd is like a quarter mile long, and that house is RIGHT THERE off of Braddock. Literally 150 feet north of the house/store you see on the left of that shot.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 22, 2009 07:48PM

dono Wrote:
> http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/4748/abandonedc
> lowntrainib2.jpg

Nice pic. Where is it? It kind of reminds me of the old Storybookland of Rt 1 which definitely could have been a set for a creepy slasher movie.

Posted by: 28 ()
Date: January 23, 2009 10:06PM

There are a handful of buildings that sit at 28 and Westfield blvd that have just been sitting there empty for at least 2 years. They built them and left them apparently. I have never seen anything going on there and one of the buildings is in the middle of construction but it looks like they gave up on it.

Posted by: sdf ()
Date: April 03, 2009 05:32PM

looks like the Willard Road overpass over 28 is abandoned. No progress since 2007.

screw VDOT

Posted by: Pattydoe1 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 02:57PM

Yes please send the address Ty

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 30, 2014 03:14PM

Go up to Baltimore if you are looking for creepy industrial places.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Laura D ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:21AM

um...I live in Merrifield... it's really nice, and since I'm looking for "haunted" places, it would be helpful if they were, you know, in my back yard. But they're not.

Posted by: ywphd ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:29AM

SimpleDarkness Wrote:
> I'm doing a series of pictures for a class, and as
> usual I've waited until the last minute.
>
> Are there any places you can think of that would
> make good creepy photos? I.E. railroad tracks,
> abandoned houses/warehouses, old playgrounds,
> etc.?
>
>
> Thanks!

How about eesh's face! He's so creepy, he'd scare ghosts! the mother fucker

Posted by: One More Suggestion ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:56AM

Abandoned, industrial, creepy? How about Hillary's vagina?

Posted by: Condemned ()
Date: May 21, 2015 01:00PM

A while back someone shared their technique of finding abandoned places on (I think) Google Earth.

It's a long shot, but hey, can you post that advice again? I haven't had much luck.

Posted by: woodrunner ()
Date: February 17, 2016 10:38PM

HAHAHA

Posted by: for future reference ()
Date: February 18, 2016 09:46AM

HAHAHA? NAH NAH NAH! O-L-D thread.

But in case this ever comes up again - the backs of stores where the dumpsters and occasional rats are - always sort of creepy.

Posted by: Your name 00 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 10:37PM

For anyone that is reading this in 2017 or future almost all of these places have been developed or knocked down.

Posted by: xvMhW ()
Date: January 25, 2017 07:52AM

Your name 00 Wrote:
> For anyone that is reading this in 2017 or future
> almost all of these places have been developed or
> knocked down.

That's because we are in VA in the DC area, not Detroit. There is too much money and development around here for places to be abandoned very long.

Posted by: pWJML ()
Date: January 26, 2017 12:14AM

Drive through the ghettos of DC and Baltimore. There may still be lots of burned out tenements left over from the riots in the 1968 times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Washington+DC+ghetto+areas&biw=1097&bih=556&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjynbuAgN_RAhUCQyYKHe7wABAQsAQINA&dpr=1.75

Posted by: zombie city ()
Date: January 26, 2017 12:54AM

Look for any grocery store or shopping center in Fairfax City.

Posted by: Curiosity will kill me ()
Date: February 09, 2017 02:22AM

Im from nova and i post my stories to a reddit sub called letsnotmeet, they are places in fairfax county....-Hello its me again, back with another weird one for you. My first story was the "the house of buffalo bob" which you all seemed to enjoy and i enjoy breaking into abandoned houses so it seems mutually beneficial at this point. I can't help it, there is something that fascinates me about going into houses and looking through peoples stuff trying to figure out what happened. Anyways last week me and my accomplice spotted another house. I swore I would stop doing this kind of shit because I can't afford another trespassing charge or any charge for that matter but the rush this gives me is not comparable.

We got prepared ( we wear respirators now) and went in at 1am. It took us about 10 minutes to find a viable way to get into the house, it involved crawling through a section of the house where the roof has collapsed and is only being held up by some book shelves and a dinner table ( we crawled under the table to get in as the frame of the house is crushing down on all the doors making them impossible to open)

I never know what to expect when I go in a house, I always hope for something weird and this place certainly did not disappoint. Once we were in a room of the house we could stand in we were greeted with about 20-25 plastic milk jugs full of what I can only assume was piss. Many people would say gross, but to me that is a good sign im in the right place and about to get the thrills im looking for. The first floor of the house was littered with newspapers of plane crashes from the 80's and 90's some had been blown up into posters. We are talking just stacks of news paper about nothing put airplanes going down i swear it looked like someone was piecing together a conspiracy.

As we went into the kitchen we found it to be fully stocked and so was the fridge. There were pots on the stove and what looked like food in the microwave. We continued upstairs where we came across a medicine cabinet full of some very desirable prescription drugs, benzo, ambien, testosterone, etc ( yes we took them all and yes 15 year old ambien still works great for those restless nights)

the weirdest room was the upstairs office it was full of file boxes that contained papers from the department of the Navy and the FBI ( after a little googleing on the name on the pill bottles it turned out our guy worked for the FBI) nothing about his death or what happened to him.... but he didn't take his diabetes meds when he left and forgot to clean up his dinner. My thoughts? He was taken to the corn feild. I will be going back to remove more contents in the future stand by for an update and more stories

Date: February 09, 2017 02:25AM

So I ll start the story by telling you a little about myself. I was raised in a wealthy suburb about 30 minutes from Washington DC. My father is a semi-famous photographer/ adventurer so I suppose its in my blood. I went to college for about a year but dropped out due to bad grades and partying too much, when I returned to my home town the realization hit me that all my friends were off at college.

I had one friend that I had strayed away from in high school probably trying to climb the social ladder. He shared my passion for adventure, the unknown, and of course the outdoor. It all kind of started because we were always looking for a place to do illegal activities, ya know the things typical parents say aren't allowed under their roof yet 20 miles away in DC IS LEGAL!

So we started hanging out in this abandoned house we had found in the forest and I think thats where my obsession started. We raided the house found tons of vintage clothing, sunglasses, weird hunting equipment, maps, thr list goes on. It was a rush like solving a mystery where did these people go? Why did they leave all this stuff?

From there I spent entirly too much time trying to find other abandoned properties to explore, figuring where theres one theres multiple. And boy was I right! Google maps satellite view proved to be a very helpful tool for finding these ghost houses. Your probably asking yourself why im writting this its not scary but hold on thr best is for last. The point of all this is that breaking into houses abandoned/unoccupied was a normal occurance for me, It didnt frighten me but gave me a rush so when this next part happened you must understand this WAS NOT my head playing tricks.

So it was a typical day for me searching google maps looking for my next adventure I came across a farm type looking property that was not far from a road but had no visable driveway(dead giveaway its abandoned). I cased it out from the street during the day solo and decided to call my partner in crime up and see if he wanted to go check it out that night since we only explored under the cover of dark. No stranger to this type of thing either he agreed and we set up a time to meet so we could take just my truck there.

I had saved a picture of the satellite view on my phone (i ll try to upload) but as we pulled up to the property i pulled out my phone to orientate the map to our location so we understand possible escape routes back to the truck should anything happen.... police or worse? Thats when I noticed i had completely missed the third building that was way far from the rest of the buildings on the property. We agreed that we should check that one out first since it seemed more mysterious. It was a good 200 yards back in the woods and involved cutting through two razor wire fences.

We finally arrived to this little white wooden house it had a small shed that we decided to check out first. This 20×20 shed contained everything from garden tools to garbage bags of cans to childrens toys we couldnt see the floor. Uninterested in a shed full of garbage we made our way for the decrepit 2 story house.

We got to the porch and found a table with a solar panel light on it (which i now realize means someone was there when it had no power and after the invention of the solar panel because this house looked to be built in the 20's maybe) the basement was a classic looking door on the outside of the ground with a staircase we went down and just found boxes of vhs tapes marked with weird names like "its going to be alright" and "sometimes you never know" others just had dates on them or days of the week.

There were boxes of Polaroid pictures, but we couldnt make any sense of them, none seemed to be of the same people (some looked like the people did not know their photo was being taken) except for one guy who was in mulitple pictures.

The basement was not connected to the upper floor and all the doors and windows were boarded up so we looked for the best one to break off and continued in. The room thats window we entered had more pictures in it but they were on the floor like they had been thrown at the wall. As I entered the hallway I got my first hint that something weird had happened here, starring me right in the face was a fuzzy teddy bear wearing a womans bra.

I believe me and my friend both looked at eachother with a WTF kinda look. We kept going and found a room with bunk beds in it and to our dismay more stuffed animals wearing bras. Prehaps the most chilling thing was finding childrens coloring books, vocabulary and spelling books that were of a very elementary level seemed to indicate that kids had lived here.

The kitchen was pretty much the last place we went before deciding it was time to leave. I first noticed the mirror next to the sink had the words "you were beautiful" written on it in lipstick. In there we found many liqour bottles, tubes of lipstick, and in the sink a redhair womans wig! The place just felt like something dark and sinister had occurred in it.

The first thing I typically do when I find a new abandoned house is try and estimate the last time it was inhabited, before we headed out of there i ran my flashlight by the floor and found a bag with some Gatorade bottles in it, they didnt look old and i was right the production date was only 1 year from the date we were there. (Meaning someone had been there with in the last year or couple months. Upon me informing my friend about this we got creeped that someone maybe be watching us or whatever and decided to leave as we calmly walked away from the house we both began to hear singing like a child humming a nursery rhyme or somthing but we both agreed it was the wind.

Now 100 yards away from the house we hear an unmistakable childs laugh neither of us say anything but simultaneously feel the need to start running. We didnt stop until we got back to the truck. We drank pretty heavily that night joking about stuffed animals wearing bras. And while we still kid about from time to time, that was the last time we ever went into another abandoned house

Date: February 09, 2017 02:33AM

There are tons of abandoned places in great falls/mclean area my favorite is a multi million dollar mansion that was bought by an Arab oil country some years back. Kids trashed it, however someone is still footing the power bill as I was able to get the indoor tennis court room to light up after messing with the circuits anyways I have entirly too much time and resources thanks to being a wealthy white teen in great falls google maps satellite view is how I find my prey.

Posted by: Anon Sir FT. ()
Date: February 14, 2017 10:25AM

Not OP, but I would like the address.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.