HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dan Snyder's Letter to "Redskins Nation" Announcing His New Charity
Posted by: Daniel.Snyder ()
Date: March 24, 2014 10:20PM

March 24, 2014

To Everyone in our Washington Redskins Nation:

Several months ago I wrote you about my personal reflections on our team name and on our shared Washington Redskins heritage. I wrote then – and believe even more firmly now – that our team name captures the best of who we are and who we can be, by staying true to our history and honoring the deep and enduring values our name represents.

In that letter, I committed myself to listening and learning from all voices with a perspective about our Washington Redskins name. I’ve been encouraged by the thousands of fans across the country who support keeping the Redskins tradition alive. Most – by overwhelming majorities – find our name to be rooted in pride for our shared heritage and values.

“There are Native Americans everywhere that 100% support the name,” Torres-Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians Chairwoman Mary L. Resvaloso told me when I came to visit her tribe. “I believe God has turned this around for something good.” She told me that it was far more important for us to focus on the challenges of education in Native American communities. I listened closely, and pledged to her that I would find ways to improve the daily lives of people in her tribe.

What would my resolve to honoring our legacy mean if I myself—as the owner of and a passionate believer in the Washington Redskins—didn’t stay true to my word? I wanted and needed to hear firsthand what Native Americans truly thought of our name, our logo, and whether we were, in fact, upholding the principle of respect in regard to the Native American community.

So over the past four months, my staff and I travelled to 26 Tribal reservations across twenty states to listen and learn first-hand about the views, attitudes, and experiences of the Tribes. We were invited into their homes, their Tribal Councils and their communities to learn more about the extraordinary daily challenges in their lives.

“I appreciated your sincerity to learn about our culture and the real-life issues we face on a daily basis,” Pueblo of Zuni Governor Arlen Quetawki told us after we toured his reservation. “I look forward to working together with you to improve the lives of Native Americans in any way possible."

The more I heard, the more I’ve learned, and the more I saw, the more resolved I became about helping to address the challenges that plague the Native American community. In speaking face-to-face with Native American leaders and community members, it’s plain to see they need action, not words.

Yes, some tribes are doing well. And in our candid conversations, we learned that we share so much with Indian country. We find their appreciation of history, legacy, caring for their elders and providing a better future for their youth inspirational and admirable.

But the fact is, too many Native American communities face much harsher, much more alarming realities. They have genuine issues they truly are worried about, and our team’s name is not one of them. Here are just a few staggering, heartbreaking facts about the challenges facing Native Americans today:

-- The official poverty rate on reservations is 29 percent, as determined by the U.S. Census.
36 percent of families with children are below the poverty line on reservations, compared with
9 percent of families nationally. Jobs are scarce, and so is genuine opportunity.

-- Rampant diabetes, alcohol and drug abuse, violence, and heightened suicide rates afflict Native American youth, adults, and veterans. Life expectancies in high poverty Native American communities are the lowest anywhere in the Western Hemisphere—except for Haiti.

-- Tribal reservations can lack even the most basic infrastructure that most Americans take for granted. For example, according to the independent, highly respected Millennium Project, 13 percent of Native American households have no access to safe water and/or wastewater disposal, compared with just 0.6 percent in non-native households. Similarly, 14 percent of homes on Native American reservations have no electricity, compared to just 1 percent among non-native households. It is hard to build for a better tomorrow without the basic needs of today.

These aren’t rare circumstances. These are the unfortunate facts found throughout Indian country today.

I’ve listened. I’ve learned. And frankly, its heart wrenching. It’s not enough to celebrate the values and heritage of Native Americans. We must do more.

I want to do more. I believe the Washington Redskins community should commit to making a real, lasting, positive impact on Native American quality of life—one tribe and one person at a time. I know we won’t be able to fix every problem. But we need to make an impact.

And so I will take action.

As loyal fans of the Washington Redskins, I want you to know that tomorrow I will announce the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation.
The mission of the Original Americans Foundation is to provide meaningful and measurable resources that provide genuine opportunities for Tribal communities. With open arms and determined minds, we will work as partners to begin to tackle the troubling realities facing so many tribes across our country. Our efforts will address the urgent challenges plaguing Indian country based on what Tribal leaders tell us they need most. We may have created this new organization, but the direction of the Foundation is truly theirs.
Our work is already underway, under the leadership of Gary Edwards, a Cherokee and retired Deputy Assistant Director of the United States Secret Service, as well as a founder and chief executive officer of the National Native American Law Enforcement Association.

Because I’m so serious about the importance of this cause, I began our efforts quietly and respectfully, away from the spotlight, to learn and take direction from the Tribal leaders themselves. In addition to travelling and meeting in-person with Tribal communities, we took a survey of tribes across 100 reservations so that we could have an accurate assessment of the most pressing needs in each community.

The stories I heard and the experiences I witnessed were of children without winter coats or athletic shoes; students in makeshift classrooms without adequate school supplies; text books more than decades old; rampant and unnecessary suffering from preventable diseases like diabetes; economic hardship almost everywhere; and in too many places too few of the tools and technology that we all take for granted every day—computers, internet access, even cellphone coverage.

In the heart of America’s Indian country, poverty is everywhere. That’s not acceptable. We have so much, yet too many Native Americans have so little.

Our work has already begun:

-- As the bitter Arctic winds swept across the Plains this winter, we distributed over 3,000 cold-weather coats to several tribes, as well as shoes to players on boys and girls basketball teams.
“It’s been one of the coldest winters on record,” Lower Brule Sioux Tribe Vice Chairman Boyd Gourneau told me. “The entire Tribe is so appreciative of the coats we received for our youth and elders. It’s been such a great relationship, and we hope it grows.”

-- We assisted in the purchase of a new backhoe for the Omaha Tribe in Nebraska. The Tribe will now be able to complete the burial process for their loved ones even in the coldest winter months, as well as assist in water pipe repairs which, without a functioning backhoe, has left the tribe without water -- for days.

These projects were the first of many and we currently have over forty additional projects currently in process. We look forward to telling you more about these as our work proceeds.

For too long, the struggles of Native Americans have been ignored, unnoticed and unresolved. As a team, we have honored them through our words and on the field, but now we will honor them through our actions. We commit to the tribes that we stand together with you, to help you build a brighter future for your communities.

The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation will serve as a living, breathing legacy – and an ongoing reminder – of the heritage and tradition that is the Washington Redskins. I’m glad to be able to launch this vital initiative today.

With Respect and Appreciation,

Dan Snyder

P.S. Throughout this journey, there have been many incredible moments. One of my favorite fan moments took place in Gallup, NM – to the cheers of dozens of Washington Redskins fans. As Pueblo of Zuni Governor Arlen Quetawki noted, “We even had an unprompted welcoming party of Washington Redskins fans from Zuni and Navajo greet you when you departed from the airport!” The passion and support for the Burgundy and Gold throughout the country has been overwhelming.

Let's call this what it is, Dan...a buyout and a payoff. Both to the Native American people AND your detractors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Snyder's Letter to "Redskins Nation" Announcing His New Charity
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: March 24, 2014 10:23PM

Transparent shill. Worse than Obozo.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 24, 2014 10:23PM

tl;dr

eat shit;go away

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Little Napoleon Danny Boy ()
Date: March 24, 2014 10:56PM

The Midget has ruined the Redskins franchise with his greed and arrogance. He can go to hell. Never give him a cent of your money!

Posted by: boycotttheskins ()
Date: March 24, 2014 10:59PM

So he is basically doing the same thing that Hugo Chavez did with giving free heating oil to the US. WOW. What an asshole

Posted by: money talks ()
Date: March 24, 2014 11:46PM

Bullshit wont. If he was even halfway serious he would have thrown them at least a few mill. Hes starting a foudation with "measurable" success. Gimme a fucking break. Hes a fucking BILLIONAIRE if he wanted to help and his heart was wrenched hed shell out.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: March 24, 2014 11:54PM

Wait a minute.......he has a heart??

WOW........I love learning new stuff.

Posted by: O, Danny Boy! ()
Date: March 25, 2014 12:57AM

Hey, he bought them a backhoe so they could bury their dead, even in frozen soil.

What's a backhoe go for these days? 250K? I really don't know.

But keep looking out for the welfare of the original American tribes, Danny Boy!

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: March 25, 2014 04:47AM

The Jewish guy trying to buy them off with crumbs lol. As if thats less offensive lmao. He's one funny dude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 04:49AM by Gerrymanderer2.

Date: March 25, 2014 04:56AM

He wrote to you too?

Posted by: Hitler Loves Gerry ()
Date: March 25, 2014 05:43AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Jewish guy trying to buy them off with crumbs
> lol. As if thats less offensive lmao. He's one
> funny dude.

Gerry is a Nazi through and through.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:24AM

How funny is that

Posted by: True Facts ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:34AM

There is one thing in this world that little Danny cares about, and that is MONEY! Everything else is about making still more money for the insatiably greedy prick. He'd no doubt pimp out his gold-digging wife for $100 a pop if he could get away with it.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:40AM

As I have posted in the past, the whole issue can be peacefully solved by having the owners vote to force a team name change when the Redskins pass from Snyder's personal ownership, either by death or by transaction. That puts an end to the issue, even though it isn't an immediate end for the Google generation. Snyder keeps the team he paid big money for, and those who dislike the team name will get their way too.

I have posted plenty of criticisms of Snyder over the years. But a couple of observations...

- Yes on the face of it we're looking at a payoff. But the stories of gratitude are easily verifiable, and a kid with no coat, or a population that can't take a dump in the winter because they aren't spoiled with your Fairfax County resources that the rest of us have been paying for with decades of work, doesn't care about your hate for Snyder. So he was the one to throw them a bone, at least someone did. No poster in here did.

- There is no shortage of analysts who say how much money Snyder could make by rebranding. The old stuff will go for big bucks via eBay sale shills for the organization, and after five years no one will care anymore about the old name and will happily buy the new logo'd crap so they can fit in with the rest of the lowbrows crowding the television on gameday.

Posted by: reading between the lines ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:46AM

Season ticket prices, concessions, and merchandise are going up 20% next season in order to support this worthy cause.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:48AM

True Facts Wrote:
> There is one thing in this world that little Danny
> cares about, and that is MONEY! Everything else
> is about making still more money for the
> insatiably greedy prick.

Snyder is a bastard for HOARDING money!

O, Danny Boy! Wrote:
> Hey, he bought them a backhoe so they could bury their
> dead, even in frozen soil. What's a backhoe go for these
> days? 250K? I really don't know.
> But keep looking out for the welfare of the original
> American tribes, Danny Boy!

Snyder is a bastard for DONATING money!

Little Napoleon Danny Boy Wrote:
> The Midget has ruined the Redskins franchise with his
> greed and arrogance. He can go to hell. Never give him
> a cent of your money!

Why the hate? You aren't watching any Redskins games. Because when you watch games advertisers pay the networks. The networks pay the NFL for broadcast rights. And then the NFL owners get their money. You aren't watching Redskins games because you'd be paying Snyder money by doing it. If you aren't watching Redskins games you can't really be called a fan, you wouldn't even call yourself a fan. So why do you care so much about the issue?

Posted by: Rabbi Goldstein ()
Date: March 25, 2014 07:58AM

Tell Danny that I registered the name "Greedy Jews" for his team and am willing to license this perfect name for a 20% stake in the team.

Posted by: justcheckin ()
Date: March 25, 2014 08:04AM

As someone in another forum suggested, the "Packers" now have a name that is generally considered to be homophobic. Where are the calls for their name to be changed?

Posted by: Libtard. ()
Date: March 25, 2014 08:23AM

I think the Vikings name is racist, too! So, all white people are rapists and pillagers?

Posted by: Probably smart, but who cares? ()
Date: March 25, 2014 08:29AM

This is the same sort of thing that Florida State University does to curb controversy on the "Seminole" name.

But I say why bother?

If people ware offended by the Redskins name they can go fuck themselves.

Posted by: no fan ()
Date: March 25, 2014 09:32AM

Who could possibly be offended by such an innocuous name? A football team named after small potatoes! A very fitting name and hilarious as are the fans and the team and the whole concept, (men knocking other men down and stealing a dead pig covering). And people paying to watch. I prefer to watch seagulls fight over scraps. It is funnier and no one gets hurt. Football is primitive, comptetive, violent and silly behavior to me. Nonetheless, entertainment for other people. I get that. No less...no more. Call the team what you want. It is a non-issue as no one really owns anything here in the world...just an illusion for now. It will pass as do all things.
Heaven forbid my opinion should upset anyone but if it does please accept my apology. No hurt intended. Just my thoughts. Oh yeah, and I have Native American ancestry and for what it is worth the Redskins mean so little to me that I could not possibly be offended by the name. I have been called much worse. To me the Redskins are like rocks in the street gutter...they don't matter.

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: March 25, 2014 09:38AM

When the NAACP changes their outdated and pejorative name, then the Redskins should change theirs, too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.