HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chances of Getting into TJHSST as a Sophomore?
Posted by: johnhuntn ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:34PM

Hello all,

I'm applying for TJHSST as a Sophomore and I'd like to know my chances of getting in?

I have many accomplishments including winning the Regional Science Fair 4 years in a row, I also have all A's in both 8th and 9th grade and I will be going to the Virginia State Science Fair (and maybe winning first). Also, do they look at your middle school grades? Elementary school grades? I know they look at high school grades.

Thanks,

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chances of Getting into TJHSST as a Sophomore?
Posted by: onlooker ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:36PM

See the TJ site - they address that.

Date: March 21, 2011 05:38PM

Sorry,

I've checked but I can't find it. Could you please post a link?

Thanks!

Posted by: Read the app ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:43PM

The School Board recognizes the importance of preparing future leaders in mathematics, science, and technology to address future complex societal and ethical issues. Diversity of the student body enhances the robust exchange of ideas and is an important factor in developing leaders who will be prepared to address future scientific and technological challenges. Diversity is broadly defined to include a wide variety of factors, such as race, ethnicity, gender, English for speakers of other languages (ESOL), geography, poverty, prior school and cultural experiences, and other unique skills and experiences. . . .

Do you consider yourself "diverse" by this definition? I'm not sure what they mean by gender---male might be diverse? Geography might help you---are you outside of Fairfax County (Prince William maybe)? Poverty maybe? Any cultural experiences? Science fair could be a unique experience? Do you have any unique skills?

If you are not "diverse", good luck. It says that diversity is an important factor in developing leaders who will be prepared to address future scientific and technological changes. Check your background.

Posted by: omlooker ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:50PM

johnhuntn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry,
>
> I've checked but I can't find it. Could you please
> post a link?
>
> Thanks!

First, go to the TJ site. Then go to Admissions, then go to Sophomore, etc.

I did a clickety-click and found it within seconds.

Anyone attempting to get into TJ should be able to do at least the same - seriously.

Posted by: onlooker ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:51PM

> ...Do you consider yourself "diverse"...

I think it's too early to get bent out of shape about "diversity" driving TJ admissions for the future, especially w.r.t. non-freshman admissions.

Date: March 21, 2011 05:55PM

Read the app Wrote:
> The School Board recognizes the importance of
> preparing future leaders in mathematics, science,
> and technology to address future complex societal
> and ethical issues. Diversity of the student body
> enhances the robust exchange of ideas and is an
> important factor in developing leaders who will be
> prepared to address future scientific and
> technological challenges. Diversity is broadly
> defined to include a wide variety of factors, such
> as race, ethnicity, gender, English for speakers
> of other languages (ESOL), geography, poverty,
> prior school and cultural experiences, and other
> unique skills and experiences. . . .
>
Ok, didn't see that... Thanks

Also, the reason I didn't see that is becuase it's the freshman application... I'm applying for the sophomore class (I'm in 9th grade currently)
>
> Do you consider yourself "diverse" by this
> definition? I'm not sure what they mean by
> gender---male might be diverse? Geography might
> help you---are you outside of Fairfax County
> (Prince William maybe)? Poverty maybe? Any
> cultural experiences? Science fair could be a
> unique experience? Do you have any unique
> skills?
>
Yes, I'm male. Poverty? For where I live definitely not, but not sure by Fairfax standards...

I'm Chinese/Asian? Unfortunately, at TJ, Asian is the majority race.

Also, I'm a computer programmer, I've written a replacement DLL for Windows XP's kernel.

And geographically, I'm outside Fairfax County currently, and I went to a middle school and went to a high school in southeast Virginia. Also, I plan on moving to Fairfax County or a participating TJHSST district at the time of the application so I'm eligible.

Also, I'm a native speaker of both Chinese and English.

> If you are not "diverse", good luck. It says that
> diversity is an important factor in developing
> leaders who will be prepared to address future
> scientific and technological changes. Check your
> background.

Thanks so much for your help!

Posted by: TJHS ()
Date: March 21, 2011 08:26PM

johnhuntn ()
Your chances are very good, go for it! And God forbid, you don't get in, you will still succeed at what ever you do, this you must remember!

Posted by: sigh ()
Date: March 22, 2011 10:24PM

It's sad that people move homes just to go to TJ. Anyone want to know why there are so many Asians at the school? There is your answer. They're hell bent on having the best possible education. Seriously kid -- my advice for you is, stay where you are and continue being the best at your own high school. In the long run, that would be your better option. TJ as a sophomore, from what I've heard isn't fun. First off, you have to take the mandatory Design and Tech which your peers have already taken, and then of course your still a newbie.

Posted by: anon ()
Date: March 30, 2011 09:56PM

Gender-wise, females would bring more diversity. Really, what matters is how badly you want to go to TJ, and how strong your math-science interest is. Everybody thinks they want it, but some kids need the TJ environment. If that's you, go for it.

Posted by: anon ()
Date: March 30, 2011 09:59PM

Due to tricky regulations, diversity no longer plays a very influential role in TJ admissions. Bear that in mind. Computer programming - put that prominently on your application. That is exactly what TJ looks for.

Posted by: Nick C. ()
Date: March 31, 2011 10:46AM

johnhuntn Wrote:
> Also, I'm a computer programmer, I've written a
> replacement DLL for Windows XP's kernel.

So, you're a hacker?
haha I went to TJ, you'll do fine. Sophomore transition could be rough, but probably not an easier HS to transfer to than the quirky, socially odd TJ.
Don't sweat if you don't get in, it's pretty subjective. You'll do alright in the real world no matter where you go.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: April 01, 2011 03:16AM

It used to be only about 3-5 kids would come in as sophomores. Not sure if that's still true.

Also I'm not sure of how big the sophomore applicant pool is...

Posted by: youeasd ()
Date: April 01, 2011 07:46AM

johnhuntn Wrote:

>

oh wow. like nobody could just put some files inside winrar and rename it a DLL and add a regedit entry for it. you're so cool...

your pretentious and the idiocy you display in this thread are two reasons I hope you don't get in.

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: April 01, 2011 08:04AM

youeasd Wrote:
> johnhuntn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Also, I'm a computer programmer, I've written a
> > replacement DLL for Windows XP's kernel.
> >
>
> oh wow. like nobody could just put some files
> inside winrar and rename it a DLL and add a
> regedit entry for it. you're so cool...
>
> your pretentious and the idiocy you display in
> this thread are two reasons I hope you don't get
> in.

Really! What a fuckin ego. A future Starbucks douchebag in the making.

Posted by: TJ89 ()
Date: April 01, 2011 09:07PM

Date: April 04, 2011 10:17AM

TJ89 Wrote:
> http://www.tjhsst.edu/abouttj/admissions/sandj.php

Thanks, but I've already seen that. I know that 10 - 15 get in every year, but I don't know out of how many apply. I saw on Wikipedia around 70 apply, but no sources cited, so I'm not sure if it's reliable.

Posted by: kritikal ()
Date: April 04, 2011 11:45AM

Hey, I'm a student at TJ right now, and what dictates how many sophomores get in is how many freshman drop out this year. About five have already dropped out, I think, and most people drop at the end of the year.

Elementary school grades don't matter, but middle school grades, high school grades, and SAT/PSAT scores account for about half the admissions process. The other half is your showing of pure willingness to come in as an underdog and push through long hours of studying and working every single freaking night of the next couple years of your life.

And yes, computer science is a good trait, though expanding to java, C, and python might be more applicable for TJ.

Good luck!

Date: April 04, 2011 01:56PM

Hi kritikal,

Thanks, your post was quite helpful and informative.

I see that middle school grades matter, but the school division I attended in middle school only keeps 8th grade final marks. Would that be a problem?

And about computer science, I know C very well, but Java and Python not so much (although I've heard that Java is similar to C/C++ and C#)

Thanks,

John

Posted by: HeyRicky ()
Date: April 04, 2011 02:22PM

TJ is lookin at mah ballz, Ricky!

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: April 04, 2011 02:44PM

John-You are overthinking this. (Perhaps the first sign that you are TJ material.) If you have good grades, are interested in math, science and computers, can afford the price of the TJ test, and can be free the afternoon of the test, go ahead and apply. If you don't get in all you are out is the cost and time of the test and the time it took you to fill out the application, and your cred as a top student. If you don't tell anyone you are applying until you find out if you got in, even your cred would be intact.

Now if you are wondering whether you should GO to TJ, for that you would need to have some serious talks with someone who is already there.

Posted by: take ()
Date: April 04, 2011 08:21PM

johnhuntn Wrote:

LOL im so impressed. you gonna use that replacement DLL for ep1c h4xx0r1ng?!?!11!!

Date: April 05, 2011 08:04AM

Bill N Wrote:
> John-You are overthinking this. (Perhaps the
> first sign that you are TJ material.) If you have
> good grades, are interested in math, science and
> computers, can afford the price of the TJ test,
> and can be free the afternoon of the test, go
> ahead and apply. If you don't get in all you are
> out is the cost and time of the test and the time
> it took you to fill out the application, and your
> cred as a top student. If you don't tell anyone
> you are applying until you find out if you got in,
> even your cred would be intact.
>
> Now if you are wondering whether you should GO to
> TJ, for that you would need to have some serious
> talks with someone who is already there.

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure whether I still could get in, seeing as I am taking the most advanced classes in my school division (I'm the clear freshman valedictorian) but I think that the classes in FCPS might be more difficult than in here. I'm interested in computer science, math, and science. Since I'm a sophomore applicant, I have to take the SAT/PSAT (I plan on taking it around May). However, I did get an 1800 in 8th grade, but they don't keep the scores. (I'm not sure whether a 1800 is good or bad).

Thanks,

John

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 05, 2011 08:24AM

I remember wanting to go to TJ at one point in time. Then I met some kids from TJ, and while some of them were cool, others swore they were hot shit like they knew everything. If you go to that school, by all means strive to do your best, but don't think you're better than anyone else.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: April 05, 2011 10:18AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 12:55PM by Ut videam.

Posted by: *sigh ()
Date: April 05, 2011 12:52PM

Also, an 1800 would be an average of 600 in each section, which is pretty middling. I scored a similar score, before there was a written section, and I now do manual labor.

Date: April 05, 2011 01:41PM

*sigh Wrote:
> Also, an 1800 would be an average of 600 in each
> section, which is pretty middling. I scored a
> similar score, before there was a written section,
> and I now do manual labor.

Hi,

I know that a 1800 would be not-so-good for a first semester 12th grader (senior), but remember that I was taking it 4-5 years early (second semester 8th grader.

The CollegeBoard doesn't keep middle school scores so I know that TJ won't see them (I'm retaking the SAT - I hope I get a 2300).

Thanks,

John

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: April 05, 2011 02:39PM

*sigh Wrote:
> Also, an 1800 would be an average of 600 in each
> section, which is pretty middling. I scored a
> similar score, before there was a written section,
> and I now do manual labor.

I believe the SATs shoot for 500 being the average score, and they usually come in slightly above that number. A score of 600 per part would definitely be in the upper half. If an FCPS student got a 600 on each part of the SATs, I believe he would be in the top half of every school in the county except TJHSST (2300) Langley (1850), and McLean (ca. 1800). However you probably shouldn't plan on going to UVa or W&M from this area with that score.

Posted by: Fellow Applicant ()
Date: April 05, 2011 09:50PM

Hey, John,

I read your post and I noticed a couple of things.
I'm also applying for Soph year to TJ so I clicked this post :)

Did you take the March SAT? Because that was the latest date you could use to take the SAT's for this year's application. Either SAT or the PSAT which you could only have taken in October. Regarding testing on the TJHSST site it says:

" The required testing for applicants to the sophomore and junior classes at TJHSST is the PSAT/NMSQT (the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) or the SAT. Sophomore and junior applicants do not take the TJ Admissions Test. If your school does not offer the PSAT and you cannot make arrangements to take it elsewhere in October 2010, you must take the SAT. The latest date that you can take the SAT and be considered for the sophomore or junior selection process this year is March 12, 2011. You may not take the May 2011 SAT and be considered for admission for the 2011-2012 school year."

I knew before March I wanted to apply so I took the March SAT and got a 1900 even: it's not really the best score and I was hoping to get higher but I guess it's okay. 1800 for an 8th Grader is actually pretty darn good! And you did that without any prep?
I hope I helped, and if you haven't taken the March SAT I think the only choice you have is to send either your PSAT scores or your 8th Grade SAT scores.

Wish me luck in the application process and best of luck to you too!!

Kira

Date: April 05, 2011 10:12PM

Hi Kira,

Great to see that you're apply too!

Hopefully I'll see you next year. Good luck on the application!

I got a 1800 with minimal preparation (I studied the night before and day of).

Unfortunately, I haven't taken the March SAT - only the 8th grade one. Unfortunately, neither have I taken the PSAT. I guess I'll have to send in my 8th grade score :(

Thanks,

John

Posted by: Kira ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:09AM

John,

They'll still be able to see that it's from 8th Grade (mine is from 9th) so I don't think it'll make that big of a difference.
I think this is really cool that we're both applying for Soph :D
I actually think less people apply for this year. Did you know that the admissions rate for freshman is 16% but for sophomores it's 19-21%? So really we have a higher chance of being admitted than freshman.
I'm just a little worried about being a newbie as a sophomore if I get in. I mean, most people are newbies as freshmen and not as sophs so I'll be kinda lost.
What math class are you taking? Just curious..

I've actually driven by TJ on my too and from a bunch of places and it's not really the most glamorous looking school. I guess in the glamor is all in the brains :D

Date: April 06, 2011 06:19PM

Actually, John, they give you a choice as to whether you want to keep those scores (middle school ones) on your test transcript permanently. If you choose no, they get deleted shortly after. A lot of people take the SAT early especially for Duke TIP and JH CTY and stuff like that.
Did you choose for your score to be kept?

Date: April 06, 2011 07:43PM

No, but I kept the score report.

Date: April 06, 2011 07:43PM

I've signed up for 2 math courses next year: AP Calculus AB and AP Statistics.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: April 06, 2011 11:15PM

If you're not doing well academically at TJ but are passing your classes, can they kick you out?

Posted by: Alice ()
Date: April 07, 2011 01:08AM

Hey, I'm actually considering applying as for sophomore year, too. :)

I know a few people who were accepted as sophomores last year. Their PSAT scores were in the 190s, and they were on the low end of those accepted. But with good activities, both of you should have a chance.

steve k2, yes, people get kicked out for bad grades, and some even drop out because they can't keep up with the curriculum. Students must maintain a B average to stay at TJ.

-Alice

Date: April 07, 2011 09:21AM

Alice,

Exactly, actually you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA to stay in (B average, as you said.) Pretty stiff competition, eh?

Oh, cool, you're applying too?
Are you applying with the PSAT or SAT?

Date: April 07, 2011 03:29PM

I'm applying with the SAT. Do you think they emphasize math and reading more than writing? Because I sort of failed the reading section...

Date: April 08, 2011 08:00PM

Alice,

Although some universities seem to emphasize Math+Reading score (out of 1600) a lot, I don't think TJ does that because they seem to value writing. Their Freshman Admissions test has two essays, so that's what I gathered.

However, if you got a good score on the math, they'll be happy with that because they emphasize math more than anything else, obviously. I don't think you should be too worried about the reading section :)

What did you get overall, if you don't mind me asking?

Date: April 08, 2011 08:00PM

So who's filled out the applications yet?

Date: April 11, 2011 10:40AM

So John, have you started on the application/teacher recs yet?

Date: April 11, 2011 08:42PM

Yes, I have.

Date: April 13, 2011 03:01PM

Oh, that's cool.

How far have you gotten and did you think they were easy?

Did you have any trouble w/the teacher recs part?

Date: April 14, 2011 05:55PM

I'm still working on the essay.

I think I got pretty good recommendations.

Date: April 15, 2011 12:30AM

Wow, now I feel like I'm behind. I've hardly started.

I don't really want to say my overall score, but I'll tell you my reading score was in the 600s, writing and math were in the 700s.

Date: April 17, 2011 11:07PM

Don't worry, I'm also feel the same... I've started on most of the essays but they're clumsy and I need to read over and edit them sometime.

Date: April 18, 2011 12:50PM

Same here, I feel like I know they'll never be perfect but I keep correcting them - I've finished with them but since I have not showed them to anyone - even my parents - I'm having a bit of trouble with the editing part. I think I might want to send them out now, though - early kinda shows interest. Is that too early?

Alice, wow that kind of makes me feel bad about my own score.

Date: April 18, 2011 12:52PM

How old are you guys, if you don't mind me asking?

Date: April 20, 2011 03:16PM

I'm 14.

This is a bit unbelievable but I just dug up my score report (so I can send it in) and it looks like I didn't remember the scores right. Now I remember.. I was trying to get all 700s for the CTY Talent Search and I got close - a 2000 (above 700 in CR and M)

Anyways, I don't think it's too early... Never hurts to be early!

Date: June 23, 2011 01:39PM

Anyone get their acceptances yet?

Date: June 23, 2011 01:41PM

Have you, Kira? Are congratulations or condolences in order?

Date: June 26, 2011 09:34PM

The website said they'd mail the letters on June 30th, this Thursday. Assuming you get it two days later, Saturday... 6 more days! Anyone else nervous? D8

Date: June 29, 2011 06:54PM

Nope, not yet!!

But I checked the website today (June 29th) and they've been mailed out!

I've been thinking over the summer a lot, though, and if I don't get in I won't be devastated as I would have been earlier; I have a lot going for me and I don't know if I'll attend anymore.

But hey, good luck to both of you guys!

Date: July 02, 2011 12:45PM

Just got my acceptance letter! Hope you guys got in too! (:

Posted by: inquiring mind ()
Date: July 02, 2011 12:53PM

Alice Wrote:
> Just got my acceptance letter! Hope you guys got
> in too! (:

That's very cool - congrats.

Can you elaborate on what your qualifications are? There are a number of criteria TJ uses - are you especially good at essays? Did you have really dramatic extracurricular activities? What set YOU in the spotlight that they admitted you?

Or do they simply have "sophomore" spots available but not a whole lot of demand for them compared to freshman spots?

Date: July 02, 2011 02:50PM

I actually applied for freshman admissions last year, and was rejected. Some of the differences I noticed between my applications:
-Last year, I didn't fill in all the space that was provided, only about half of each box. This year, I wrote as much as could fit in each box. Details are important!
-This year, my activities were more impressive. You have to make them sound impressive, again using details - there's a difference between saying "I tutored in math last year," and "I tutored students in Algebra 1 and Geometry in ninth grade for two hours every week." But try not to exaggerate too much, and definitely don't lie. Last year, I also made the mistake of not mentioning band at all, and it probably would have helped considering I was first chair flute in middle school. Mention all activities. Show them you're well rounded.
-Last year, I didn't touch my application until two days before it was due. I stayed up really late finishing it, and didn't let anyone proofread it. Bad idea. This year, I asked my parents to help me revise. I didn't let them do too much though, because I wanted it to sound like me, and not them. If your parents are too busy, or not so great at writing, you could ask your English teacher or a friend. Choose people who will give you honest input, and not "It's good enough."
-Essays. I've never really been that great at writing, or at English in general. (I'm Asian. I grew up around my parents who learned English as a second language. Not the greatest environment to learn English in.) So I don't really have any good advice. Just be yourself, make yourself sound good, and give strong examples. This goes for short response and personal statement too. Don't just brag about how smart you are, they already know that from your grades and SAT score. Talk about what you can do to help people or make a difference.

The letter says one hundred people applied. Nineteen got in.

So what set me in the spotlight? I have no idea. I had a lot of activities ranging from band to NJHS to volunteer work. My SAT score was in the 2100s. I presented myself as someone who puts in effort in everything they do, never letting failure stop them; a leader; a future marine biologist; a student who is genuinely interested in science and math.

Hope this helps :)

Posted by: inquiring mind ()
Date: July 02, 2011 02:56PM

Thanks very much.

Date: July 02, 2011 05:34PM

Hey, congrats Alice!

I just got mine too...I didn't get in.
I'm surprised, though, not as disappointed as I thought I would be :)

Hope you have a great time at TJ, you certainly deserve it!

Kira

Date: July 04, 2011 02:18PM

Thanks Kira!

Sorry you didn't get in :(
But I'm sure anyone who considers TJ as a high school option will do great at any other high school. Best of luck to you for the rest of high school :)

What about you, John? Have you received your letter yet?

Posted by: Tom4.0 ()
Date: July 04, 2011 03:33PM

Does TJ offer Auto Tech I and Auto Tech II?

Posted by: Crux ()
Date: July 04, 2011 05:08PM

Tom4.0 Wrote:
> Does TJ offer Auto Tech I and Auto Tech II?

Yes, it is the next course after iBET... It is called imAGIT (Integrated Mastering Automotives, Geosystems, Italian and Technology).

Date: July 12, 2011 04:54PM

Congrats Alice!

I got in too!

I'm overexcited right now. I only found out today (Our apartment complex misdelivers mail daily, I suspect they accidentally gave the mail to someone else.

Date: July 12, 2011 09:43PM

Classes are listed here: http://www.tjhsst.edu/curriculum/dss/courses/index.php

I don't see any Auto classes.

Posted by: Rodney ()
Date: July 13, 2011 03:58AM

johnhuntn Wrote:
>Congrats Alice!
>I got in too!
>I'm overexcited right now. I only found out today (Our apartment complex >misdelivers mail daily, I suspect they accidentally gave the mail to someone >else.

>Classes are listed here:
> http://www.tjhsst.edu/curriculum/dss/courses/index
> .php
>
> I don't see any Auto classes.

Based on ur writing skilz, wud suspect that axceptance wuz misdeliverd.

Did Liz Bradsher sine the letr?

Posted by: Geekman ()
Date: July 13, 2011 03:55PM

Just curious are you guys applying for the Summer acceptance for the class of 2015? I ask because I thought the Sophmore class applications (for class of 2014) would have been submitted in February 2011.

curious Geekman

Posted by: curiously refreshing ()
Date: July 13, 2011 04:30PM

Geekman Wrote:
> Just curious are you guys applying for the Summer
> acceptance for the class of 2015? I ask because I
> thought the Sophmore class applications (for class
> of 2014) would have been submitted in February
> 2011.
>
> curious Geekman

They are waiting for results, not applying.

Date: July 13, 2011 04:33PM

Geekman Wrote:
> Just curious are you guys applying for the Summer
> acceptance for the class of 2015? I ask because I
> thought the Sophmore class applications (for class
> of 2014) would have been submitted in February
> 2011.

Applications became available in February. They were due June 1.

http://www.tjhsst.edu/abouttj/admissions/sandj.php

Date: July 13, 2011 08:15PM

Ut videam Wrote:
> Geekman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just curious are you guys applying for the
> Summer
> > acceptance for the class of 2015? I ask because
> I
> > thought the Sophmore class applications (for
> class
> > of 2014) would have been submitted in February
> > 2011.
>
> Applications became available in February. They
> were due June 1.
>
> http://www.tjhsst.edu/abouttj/admissions/sandj.php
That's correct. We were discussing our results. If you look at the first post dates, they're around March, well before the June 1st deadline. If anyone is interested in what you need to get in, read what the other students wrote.

Posted by: Hatorade ()
Date: July 14, 2011 04:06PM

Why does everyone in this area have the biggest hard on for TJHSST? I know it's a good science and tech school, but Fairfax County has awesome schools, why would you want to transfer to another school as a sophomore?

Posted by: Believing ()
Date: July 16, 2011 10:22AM

Having TJ makes you have to believe the other options are good too, hu? And believing is believing. Yes, the other options are good. Thanks TJ.

Posted by: errbody chill ()
Date: July 17, 2011 07:13PM

there are no auto I and II classes at TJ I go there right now. Congratulations also get that SAT score up asap!

Posted by: ChiChi7 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 09:53PM

Hi guys...im applying to the sophmore admissions and I was wondering if i have good extracirricular activites but i have 1800 PSAT and have a 3.9 gpa....do i have a low chance????????????????????????????????????????????

please help:)

Posted by: Eyahh ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:35PM

Yup you really need to get that PSAT score up -- 180 PSAT is really below average for TJ sophomores.
GPA is good.
YOU will have a better chance with like 200/210 PSAT.

Posted by: Murrie ()
Date: November 04, 2011 04:51PM

HI GUYS........WELL I HAVE A TOTAL OF 1200 MATH+ VERBAL....and A 1800 PSAT TOTAL.............HIGH GPA LIKE A 4.0 I THINK AND GOOD EXTRACIRRICULARS................

DO I HAVE A LOW SHOT?

I REALLY WANT TO GO......I KNOW MY SCORE IS PRETTY LOW BUT DOES THAT MEAN I WILL NOT GET IN....JUST B/C OF MY SCORE???????

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

HELP :)

THANKS!:)

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: November 04, 2011 05:02PM

If you are Asian, 6'9", and can consistently score from beyond the arc, you are as good as in.

Posted by: HYHY ()
Date: December 14, 2011 03:44PM

HELLO

IS A 164 PSAT BAD FOR TJHSST?

I HAVE REALLY GOOD ACTIVITIES...

GOOD GPA...

SOOO

GOOD OR BAD?

Posted by: Mehir ()
Date: January 10, 2013 06:19PM

Extremely low. If you get your PSAT to over 175 you will have a chance. Over a 185 as a rising freshmen and you have a good shot. Over 200 + decent extra cirrirulars, solid GPA, and good teacher recommendations and you are basically in. Also, I know a lot of kids who were really smart and scored well on the TJ test, but they couldn't keep up with school. TJ is mean't for really brainy kids. If you don't make it, it's not the end of the world. You may think it is but after a while you will realize that TJ isn't the decider of if your a failure or not. Don't worry, just work hard and if you are really serious about TJ and you really don't fit in at your base school, then DO NOT DISTRACT YOUSELF!!!! Stay focused and do not be lazy.

My test scores in 8th grade:

PSAT: 220
TJ test: 91

I made TJ and the AOS but decided that it really wasn't for me... I was to distracted and if I was more studious and focused I might have given it a shot

-Mehir

Posted by: Bobjklfdj;lsdkjf;als ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:01PM

Stop hatin' on him, just because he doesn't know.

Posted by: eHbcp ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:32PM

johnhuntn Wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm applying for TJHSST as a Sophomore and I'd
> like to know my chances of getting in?
>
> I have many accomplishments including winning the
> Regional Science Fair 4 years in a row, I also
> have all A's in both 8th and 9th grade and I will
> be going to the Virginia State Science Fair (and
> maybe winning first). Also, do they look at your
> middle school grades? Elementary school grades? I
> know they look at high school grades.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

If you are not white (that is, you are "diverse"), you will have a much better chance of getting in.

Posted by: u4HWj ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:33PM

Murrie Wrote:
> HI GUYS........WELL I HAVE A TOTAL OF 1200 MATH+
> VERBAL....and A 1800 PSAT TOTAL.............HIGH
> GPA LIKE A 4.0 I THINK AND GOOD
> EXTRACIRRICULARS................
>
>
>
>
> DO I HAVE A LOW SHOT?
>
> I REALLY WANT TO GO......I KNOW MY SCORE IS PRETTY
> LOW BUT DOES THAT MEAN I WILL NOT GET IN....JUST
> B/C OF MY SCORE???????
>
>
>
> PLEASE
> PLEASE
> PLEASE
>
> HELP :)
>
>
> THANKS!:)

Sorry---you get a reserved seat on the short bus.

Posted by: kFxwu ()
Date: February 11, 2013 07:36PM

Hatorade Wrote:
> Why does everyone in this area have the biggest
> hard on for TJHSST? I know it's a good science
> and tech school, but Fairfax County has awesome
> schools, why would you want to transfer to another
> school as a sophomore?

Awesome schools? More than 1500 trailers; none with bathrooms. A billion dollars of backlogged renovations. Coaches on drugs. An enormously bloated administration with its own brand-new building, of course while the kiddies manage in 1950's era fallout shelters.

What's awesome bout that?

Posted by: philip ()
Date: November 17, 2016 09:24AM

You are welcome to the wonder land of hacks,Do you want to get your job done urgently? want from hacking We can render it with swift response and no delay on your job 100% guarantee.We render the best hacking service on the web. We are experience and have on the job training and our customers come first.
We offer tons of service

Our service list is outline as follows

1. University grades changing

2. WhatsApp Hack

3. Bank accounts hack

4. Twitters hack

5. Email accounts hack

6. Website crashed hack

7. Server crashed hack

8. Sales of Spyware and Keylogger software

9. Retrieval of lost file/documents

10. Erase criminal records hack

11. Databases hack

12. Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds

13. Untraceable IP

14. Individual Computers Hack

15. Money Transfer

16. Crediting

Our service is the best online

Our mail: Laurent22philip@outlook.com

Posted by: .... ()
Date: November 17, 2016 12:11PM

johnhuntn Wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm applying for TJHSST as a Sophomore and I'd
> like to know my chances of getting in?
>
> I have many accomplishments including winning the
> Regional Science Fair 4 years in a row, I also
> have all A's in both 8th and 9th grade and I will
> be going to the Virginia State Science Fair (and
> maybe winning first). Also, do they look at your
> middle school grades? Elementary school grades? I
> know they look at high school grades.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Best thing you can do is not fall for the crap that TJ gives you some kind of advantage.

I went to crappy DODDS schools from elementary to high so. Earned my Masters at LSE last year.

The school doesn't make or break you.

Posted by: Alex is bae ()
Date: November 30, 2016 08:31PM

knfqwklfnqwlkfnwqlkfnlwqknqwklfnkl

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.