HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fishing in cub run valley stream
Posted by: Fairfax Fishing ()
Date: March 07, 2014 01:52PM

Anyone know any good spots to fish along the stream. Iv got a spot that i catch some pretty nice bass and blue gills. Also i'v seen a fish which looks close to 30 lbs in there and was wondering what it could be. Dont think it was a catfish or a giant carp. It was weird cause the streams not that deep to support fish that big.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fishing in cub run valley stream
Posted by: ???????? ()
Date: March 08, 2014 04:41PM

30lbs??? I've only caught bluegill in that stream.

Date: March 08, 2014 05:19PM

It all depends on where you fish. I have walked and biked miles up and down that stream and some spots have no fish at all besides a few sun fish here and there. Other parts have Trout, bass and blue gills. The largest bass i caught was around 5 lbs in there. But that around 30 lb fish i was talking about i'v seen twice. I don't know if it was the same one, but the second time i saw it i was about a mile upstream. I'm waiting about another month before the fish start filling in the stream again after this cold winter. I'm going to start carrying a second pole with me with heavier test line just in-case i see that monster again.

Posted by: Snakeheads ()
Date: March 08, 2014 07:03PM

Snakeheads.....they're everywhere.

Posted by: Big Cat Noodler ()
Date: March 08, 2014 08:05PM

I noodle right there in the big bend just North of Lee. You come fucking around there with a sissy pole you are definitely going to leave with it so far up your ass that your pituitary gland will be hanging out of your nostril.
Which one is entirely up to you.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: March 08, 2014 08:36PM

Fairfax Fishing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know any good spots to fish along the
> stream. Iv got a spot that i catch some pretty
> nice bass and blue gills. Also i'v seen a fish
> which looks close to 30 lbs in there and was
> wondering what it could be. Dont think it was a
> catfish or a giant carp. It was weird cause the
> streams not that deep to support fish that big.

Probably a carp. Could be a snakehead, but that would be a huge bitch if it is.

Posted by: Fishing Fairfax ()
Date: March 08, 2014 09:29PM

If i end up catching it i'll put up a pic. It's probably not a snakehead, because those things eat everything and i was catching some pretty nice bass in the same area. My best guess would probably be a giant carp. There's not to many holes in there deep enough for large cat fish, besides a few holes here and there under the roots of big trees.

Posted by: True The Vote ()
Date: March 08, 2014 09:48PM

Could be snake head,largemouth bass feast on snakehead fry,I've caught many,even shot them with bow,and arrow.Taste great,kinda like orange ruffy,or chicken,deep fry is the best.

Posted by: fuck off lego man ()
Date: March 10, 2014 08:21AM

Big Cat Noodler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noodle right there in the big bend just North of
> Lee. You come fucking around there with a sissy
> pole you are definitely going to leave with it so
> far up your ass that your pituitary gland will be
> hanging out of your nostril.
> Which one is entirely up to you.

Anyone with legoman@gmail.com as an e-mail address is a fucking pussy and incapable of shoving anything up another person's ass. Go back to your basement and play with your little toys.

Posted by: Little Kat Noodler ()
Date: March 10, 2014 08:58AM

That big cat dude has probably never even seen a fish. What a douche.

Posted by: jim bobby ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:29AM

Wow. I had no idea that Fairfax fishing was so violent.

Posted by: jim bobby ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:29AM

Wow. I had no idea that Fairfax fishing was so violent.

Posted by: pfffffff ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:34PM

No trout in Cub Run. The water is too warm in the summer to sustain trout, and there isn't a stocking program.

Posted by: Fishing Fairfax ()
Date: March 11, 2014 05:29PM

There's trout in there. Not very many, but early spring they make their run through. I'v only caught 2 trout the entire time i'v been fishing there though.

Posted by: Longtimeffx ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:08PM

No you didn't. Take a fish identification class. Most likely you caught a fallfish or a chub. As previously noted, summer water temps would kill any trout, and there is no place they could "make their run" from in early spring.

Date: March 11, 2014 08:21PM

i'v been fishing for over 10 years i know what i caught. It definitely wasn't a chub or fall fish. It was a trout.

Date: March 11, 2014 08:33PM

Here i took the time to help you learn about trout. There are trout in cub run valley stream, not many but there are.

rainbow trout are said to be able to survive in temperatures up to and exceeding 77°F (24°C), but stop growing at 73°F (23° C). It stands to reason that a fish, one which is already oxygen stressed while positioned carefully in current that minimizes its energy use, will be dramatically more stressed after being hooked and attempting to fight its way to freedom. In fact, in many cases, a fish otherwise properly handled and released under thermally stressful conditions may be likely to not survive.

So how do you know when the conditions remain comfortable enough to fish your target stream without creating a lethal situation for its residents? Unfortunately, studies vary and there doesn't seem to be any one set of accepted limits. That said, there is a considerable consensus that all three major trout species (brook, brown and rainbow) begin to experience some level of stress at around 68°F (20°C), with that stress increasing rapidly as the temperature rises further. For brook trout, these limits are generally accepted to be a few degrees lower (some sources suggest as low as 65°). For many fishermen, 70°F (21°C) has become a round figure that represents the "don't fish" limit.

Of course these are merely guidelines. Water temperature is not the only determining factor of dissolved oxygen (speed of current also plays a factor, for example). Trout which spend extended periods of time living on these generally accepted thermal margins will likely have a greater tolerance outside these margins. However, 68°-70° represents a valuable limit outside of which -- provided you don't know otherwise -- trout should not be fished to.

On days when temperatures soar, and especially during extended periods of high temperatures, the catch and release fisherman should pay specific attention to stream temperatures throughout the stream he or she is hoping to fish. When temperatures in moving water exceed 68°F (20°C), it's best to call it and return another day.

Posted by: Bass fisherman ()
Date: June 15, 2014 09:23PM

I have caught a lot of bass on bitsy minnow crankbait and small shakey heads and always catch sunfish on rooster tails. There are definitely no trout in cub run by there are bullhead catfish and carp just usually not very big.

Posted by: fishingdude ()
Date: June 16, 2014 09:09AM

Unless these super trout can survive the water being upper 80's/low 90's every summer, they certainly are not in Cub Run or any other NOVA stream. Any trout left over in the stocked streams usually don't make it past mid July (at the latest).

Posted by: Pro Angler ()
Date: June 16, 2014 09:55AM

I've never been there before but I read thd best fisting is off rte 1 near the Occaquan. My buddy caught some crabs around there.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.