HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
$14 an hour job and live with Cousin, or $40k a year job and have own apartment?
Posted by: choicessss ()
Date: August 30, 2016 04:28AM

$14/hour job (works out to ~30k/year)---

-pros-
VERY easy.
Graveyard shift, can take naps during (but must check readings every hour, so could technically sleep 45, wake up 15 to do readings, go back to sleep, repeat).
Have time to study (Junior in college)
No one there I get to work alone so I could also do netflix, watch some TED talks, or something.
VERY laid back- wear jeans and a clean shirt you're good. free drinks in the office (yes even beer!)
(side note- just got out of a job where bosses were extremely demanding so i WANT a more laid-back job this time!)

-cons-
low pay
not much room for advancement (unless I want to be a scientist, my major is accounting)
a bit of a commute, place is in the middle of nowhere (Prince william county, ~35 min. by car, no shops nearby that would be open time i am working for an easy meal must bring something)

$40k job

-pros-
with my major (accounting)
international company, name recognition on resume
pay is much better (for not being a college grad yet!)

-cons-
corporate life (must wear ties everyday, be proper, etc)
stuck with the 9-5 grind in traffic (tysons)
BORING data entry all day, can't even wear headphones to listen to music :(

Cousin's house
-pros-
only $300 a month to rent a LARGE room with a master bath so my own shower!
cousin is rarely home (travels)
NICE pimped out condo in a newer community near fair lakes
can drink, smoke weed, etc he doesn't care about that!

-cons-
my cousin doesn't want randos in the house, visits by my GF are ok so that shuts down the parties I usually threw
no smoking. I am vaping now and he said that is ok in my room but not the whole house.

Get own apartment

-pros-
party central 24/7.

-cons-
I have to pay that high ass $1500/month rent by myself. Making 40k, I will take home $1400 a paycheck. It will be EXTREMELY TIGHT but doable. I have no other debt.

(i would actually take home more on the $14/hr job since i only pay $300 rent at my cousins!)

Advice? I know all you old people will say take the 40k job and apartment and deal with it, but remember I am still young and want to party more while I have time...I did work several 9-5 temp jobs so do have some real world working experience already so not worried about that part- hit me with your best advice!!

Money ISNT everything for me, I don't need expensive toys, what I DO want is a HOUSE. That is my ONLY goal, besides graduating college. I want to start a business, I am only getting this degree because my parents wanted me to do this- I am ok with it, maths is not that hard, I'd rather be an entrepreneur though...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $14 an hour job and live with Cousin, or $40k a year job and have own apartment?
Posted by: choicessss ()
Date: August 30, 2016 04:30AM

to clarify one thing- my cousin doesn't want me smoking CIGS in the house. weed is ok (he has a bong sitting on his coffee table LOL!)

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: August 30, 2016 09:32AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 06:39PM by chuckhoffmann.

Re: $14 an hour job and live with Cousin, or $40k a year job and have own apartment?
Posted by: what a loser ()
Date: August 30, 2016 09:33AM

A vaping pot head making $14?

rent a room.

Posted by: Keeping looking ()
Date: August 30, 2016 09:56AM

Keep looking for better paying jobs.

Posted by: G9wxd ()
Date: August 30, 2016 11:27AM

Good points all, but let's not forget how hard it is these days to find a job making over $40k/year WITHOUT a degree.

They want degrees to answer phones now. Im not joking, check your indeeed, careerbuilder, etc for job descriptions.

I am an older person WITH a degree and having a hard time finding a job paying over $40k!!

And yes, @40k one should NOT be approved for that $1500/month apartment, but I have seen it happen-- one of my coworkers only made $32k and was able to rent a NICE luxury apartment that was $1200/month at that time!

Youngin'- go with the scientist job and live with your cousin. You will NOT find another rented room in fairfax county for that price- cheapest I have seen is $500/month!! Plus you know who you are living with.

Save your coins, try to come up with at least 20k then you can put 20% down on a 200k starter condo.

Honestly after looking in Alexandria (the route 1 area of fairfax) as an example-- 1 bedroom apartments RENT for $1200 but you could BUY one of those shitty condos right down the street for like 150k, put 14k down, even with PMI it should be around $900 a month and you OWN it. Could probably sell it later to a military person with all the Ft. Belvoir stuff going on that way.

Depends if you want to stay in the area or not, and your tolerance of living in a "diverse" neighborhood.

TL;DR take the easy job, study hard to get high grades and get your degree, stay with your cousin, and get a hotel for those rager parties.

Posted by: zim dog millioniare ()
Date: August 30, 2016 01:18PM

Jeezus christ you are a giant fucking loser.

Posted by: Fjfjshsbfn ()
Date: August 30, 2016 01:28PM

Are you the little fucker I just offered the job to?

Offer is rescinded

Posted by: Fsrbb ()
Date: August 30, 2016 01:30PM

Whatever one allows you to spend more time with whatever sex you prefer

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 02:29PM

OP is William Moreno trying out a new character.

Attachments:
WSH Lax Scholar.jpg

Posted by: take the night job ()
Date: August 30, 2016 03:09PM

Take the night job-I wish I still had a job like that!

Posted by: Uvdet ()
Date: August 30, 2016 03:15PM

What accounting job is only paying $40k a year to start, and why do you think you'll get away with being a 9 to 5 employee?

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 04:36PM

Uvdet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What accounting job is only paying $40k a year to
> start, and why do you think you'll get away with
> being a 9 to 5 employee?

And since the job described is data entry, why pay someone $40K to do it? It doesn't matter because both jobs and living situations are imaginary in the mind of a fat white pasty 40 something shit-stained homo in only his shit-stained briefs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.