HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How Many Medivac Choppers in the NOVA - DC - MD Area ?
Posted by: Random Guy7 ()
Date: August 08, 2016 07:45PM

I pass by Inova Fairfax on gallows a couple times a day and live close enough to hear them come and go. Any idea how many operate locally ? I seem to see a Black & Yellow one all the time. Would be interested to track down its tail number to track flights online .

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Many Medivac Choppers in the NOVA - DC - MD Area ?
Posted by: XHYn9 ()
Date: August 08, 2016 08:01PM

They show Fairfax One on flightradar24.com

Posted by: Medic One ()
Date: August 08, 2016 09:41PM

I've had five at once landed on the road. We flew seven out that night as two came back for second patients. Fairfax One is not a medivac...that's just for the cops. In a pinch they could do a grab, but not a full blown transport.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: August 08, 2016 09:56PM

Black & Yellow is MedStar

Posted by: Random Guy ()
Date: August 08, 2016 10:55PM

Thanks Fox News. That's it. I wonder if this one goes up to DE or where the others go.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N136MH

Medstar says they have 4 ?

MedSTAR Transport
MedSTAR Transport is MedStar Health’s fleet of 4 medevac helicopters and 5 ambulances. MedSTAR transfers about 10,000 patients per year to/from MedStar Health facilities, under the direction of our very own MEP physicians.

Air Transportation
MedSTAR Transport is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems and consists of four helicopters with bases strategically located throughout the Mid-Atlantic region to transport any critical care cardiac patients, as well as heart and hand trauma patients.

The standard flight crew consists of a pilot, critical care nurse, and a critical care paramedic, all of whom are trained to handle the full spectrum of adult and pediatric critical care patients. The medical crews are required to maintain the following certifications

DC, VA, MD, DE state licensure
National Registry for paramedics
ACLS, PALS, CPR, NRP, BTLS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_EC135

Pretty Good Range.

Performance

Cruising speed: 254 km/h (158 mph; 137 kn)
Never exceed speed: 287 km/h (178 mph; 155 kn)
Range: 635 km (395 mi; 343 nmi)
Service ceiling: 6,096 m (20,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 7.62 m/s (1,500 ft/min)

Posted by: Fly Boy ()
Date: August 09, 2016 02:31AM

Fairfax1 does do medivacs. They do most of them with in the county. They will also sometimes do them in Loudoun and Prince William.

INOVA uses Aircare. There is also MedStar. Aircare used to use red, white and blue helicopters but I think all of them are now yellow and black like medstars.

Both Medstar and Aircare mostly do hospital to hospital flights. They can do scene medivacs when other helicopters are not available.

If you are in Stafford county--you are getting aircare or medstar. If you are in Fairfax, you get the police helicopter.

Posted by: Funny Shit ()
Date: August 09, 2016 02:34AM

Funny thing...

The cops on Fairfax1 get better medical training than the fire department medics on the ambulances.

It pisses off the fire department so much that the fire department has been trying to get their own helicopter for a few years now.

Posted by: billythekiddie ()
Date: August 09, 2016 07:17PM

I have also seen the Park Police copter doing stuff here and there around the county...that one looks kinda cool like the Nam movies.

Posted by: Random Guy ()
Date: August 09, 2016 08:30PM

Thanks for the inputs. I would guess Fairfax 1 refuels out at the maintence place by Costco. I can't imagine they have anything other than possibly topping off the the tanks or minimal fuel for reserves at Hospital when landed. Any idea if that's even possible or do they just share resources with Fairfax County ?

Posted by: Fuel ()
Date: August 10, 2016 11:03AM

Can not answer the question about fuel at the hospital. I believe the hospital used to have a refueling pad but with all the new construction, I have no idea now.

Fairfax 1 actually has policies in place about the amount of fuel they carry. They always have to have enough fuel in reserve to be able to conduct a medicav at any time.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.