HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
why do Falls Church and Vienna police depts seem to give out more speeding tickets?(compared to FCPD)
Posted by: isitmyimagination ()
Date: January 13, 2009 12:38PM

why do Falls Church and Vienna police depts seem to give out more speeding tickets?(compared to FCPD)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why do Falls Church and Vienna police depts seem to give out more speeding tickets?(compared to FCPD)
Posted by: COPS ()
Date: January 13, 2009 12:53PM

Revenue .. they need more $$$ for their little city

Re: why do Falls Church and Vienna police depts seem to give out more speeding tickets?(compared to FCPD)
Posted by: smart guy ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:08PM

Revenue may be somewhat of a reasoning for the tickets but it probably isn't the main factor.

It really is just your imagination. MUCH small jurisdiction than FFX so the cops are more highly concentrated therefore you see more individuals getting tickets. I'm sure FFX gives many more tickets out.

Posted by: dfdfdf ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:37PM

anybody who answers a ticket question/complaint with simply "REVENUE" as the reason for the tickets...is as ignorant as they come. As are the people who read those comments and think "yeah thats it." I'm sure that a handful of cops in vienna/falls church...or even hundreds in ffx co, writing $50-$200 tickets generates "revenue" anywhere comparable to taxes/home sales. Yes, some income....sure...an amount that would support or break the town...no u retard. People like to come up with these ideas to make themselves feel better about getting a ticket..."oh its vienna, they ticket everyone"....or "oh the budget crisis they must be trying to make money." But yeah...its for revenue.

Posted by: dddddd ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:33PM

The Vienna and FC governments offer a bigger bucket of doughnuts. Howz that dfdfdf?

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:47PM

I know that just in changing the WAY they write the tickets for Fairfax County, they got $3 million more in revenue. Its now policy to write a ticket against the county ordinance instead of the state ordinance so that the money goes to Fairfax instead of to the states coffers.

If you don't think its about revenue, you're an idealistic person, that means you, dfdfdf. Its always about money if it has to do with government; how to get it, how to control it and how to dispense it.

Check out how many police per thousand are in Vienna and how many for the rest of the county.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:51PM

Follow up:
Vienna Police Officers per 1000 residents: 2.76.

US city average: 3.00

Fairfax County Police Officers per 1000 residents:1.36.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:08PM

dfdfdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anybody who answers a ticket question/complaint
> with simply "REVENUE" as the reason for the
> tickets...is as ignorant as they come. As are the
> people who read those comments and think "yeah
> thats it." I'm sure that a handful of cops in
> vienna/falls church...or even hundreds in ffx co,
> writing $50-$200 tickets generates "revenue"
> anywhere comparable to taxes/home sales. Yes,
> some income....sure...an amount that would support
> or break the town...no u retard. People like to
> come up with these ideas to make themselves feel
> better about getting a ticket..."oh its vienna,
> they ticket everyone"....or "oh the budget crisis
> they must be trying to make money." But
> yeah...its for revenue.

Yeah, they do it to protect us. Thank god for the nanny state, right?

Unfortunately, your faith in the altruism of your wonderful leaders is misquided.

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Legal_Commentary/Recession_Mean_Traffic_Tickets.php?item=340444

Local governments generally deny that they use traffic tickets to raise revenue, but two economists who reviewed tickets issued in North Carolina drew conclusions that tend to confirm a common suspicion: traffic tickets are more about generating dollars than public safety.

Traffic tickets go up significantly when local government revenue falls, they found. Their study showed for the first time evidence of how "local governments behave, in part, as though traffic tickets are a revenue tool to help offset periods of fiscal distress." ...
Controlling for other factors, a 1 percentage point drop in local government revenue leads to a roughly .32 percentage point increase in the number of traffic tickets in the following year, a statistically significant connection.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081117/METRO/811170333/1409/METRO

Traffic fines help fill city coffers
Officials increasingly target drivers to bolster budgets
George Hunter / The Detroit News

Grim economic conditions are forcing some communities to rely on traffic cops to increase revenue by writing more tickets, police and elected officials say.

"When I first started in this job 30 years ago, police work was never about revenue enhancement," Utica Police Chief Michael Reaves said. "But if you're a chief now, you have to look at whether your department produces revenues. That's just the reality nowadays."

A Detroit News analysis of court and police records from 2002-07 shows many Metro Detroit police departments have drastically increased the number of moving violations issued in what some people say is an effort to offset budget shortfalls caused by the sluggish economy.

Michigan has cut revenue sharing to communities by $3 billion over the past six budget years, a blow that's been exacerbated by skyrocketing costs and dwindling property values. Taylor Mayor Cameron Priebe, whose community has lost more than $10 million in state revenue sharing the past six years, says the tough conditions have caused city officials to turn to the Police Department for income.

"A portion of the tickets our officers write helps pay their salaries, but the rest is profit for the city," said Priebe, a former Taylor police officer. " 'Profit' may not be the right word to use in government, but that's pretty much what it is.

"Obviously, revenue isn't the only reason our officers are out there -- but I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said it wasn't a consideration."

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:47PM

Answer:

A higher concentration of police per 1000 residents in a much smaller area with an inferior rate of incidence and prevalence of crime (i.e. nothing to do, other than eating donuts).

Posted by: Adm ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:25PM

dfdfdf Wrote:
> anybody who answers a ticket question/complaint
> with simply "REVENUE" as the reason for the
> tickets...is as ignorant as they come.

It's for Revenue and Punishment for breaking the law, plain and simple.

When I get a speeding ticket. I have no other way of serving that ticket expect for paying. What if i want to do community service, serve time, ect.

Take away all the money from ticket writing, and the town of Vienna doesn't have a "town center" or whatever that is, and a regular sidewalk(Ha).

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 17, 2009 06:42AM

dfdfdf Wrote:
> I'm sure that a handful of cops in
> vienna/falls church...or even hundreds in ffx co,
> writing $50-$200 tickets generates "revenue"
> anywhere comparable to taxes/home sales. Yes,
> some income....sure...an amount that would support
> or break the town...no u retard. People like to

The most recent statistics for total citations issued in Fairfax County per year that I can find were for 1990 - 98 http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/TrendAnalysis/12_fairfax.htm and I'm sure that in the last 10 years, with growth and increased traffic, the numbers are much higher now. But in 1990, they issued 160,000 tickets. in 1998, 120,000.

Let's just go with 150,000 tickets. On average, with court costs, each ticket probably runs around $150. I'm probably underestimating, that, as well, considering even a minor $50 ticket still has the $87 court cost added to it.

That's $22.5 million a year in revenue just from traffic tickets, with my obviously underestimated figures.

I wish I could find more recent statistics, since I bet it is closer to $50 or $75 million a year by now, but even $22.5 million is a pretty significant amount of money. FCPS is letting go over 200 teachers, among other cuts, because of a $45 million deficit, after all.

Posted by: RedBullBalls ()
Date: January 17, 2009 10:11AM

Smaller jurisdictions. If you pay close attention, they are handing out tickets close to PD HQ's at times when there is a high rate of traffic. It is at these times when you should be more cautious. You should stick to back roads, you will have less tickets and less headaches caused by ignorant drivers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.