HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Inauguration-goers may be turned away
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:03AM

This inauguration is going to be a complete fiasco. I see angry disoriented crowds already.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Officials-May-Turn-Away-People-From-Parade-Route.html

Inauguration-goers may be turned away from the inaugural parade route once crowds reach a certain capacity.

The Washington Post reported that the parade route has a capacity of 280,000 to 300,000 people, and that once that number is reached, checkpoints will be closed and no one else can enter the area around the parade route.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inauguration-goers may be turned away
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:06AM

Considering that the estimated amount of people coming was said to be in the millions, I will be locking the door and keeping the gun on my hip.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:41AM

I'll have my car packed with rifles and ammo, non-perishable food, toilet paper, milk, jerry cans full of gas, water purification tablets, and condoms in anticipation of the coming apocolype.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:52AM

Parade route != Mall Capacity, but the point is taken.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:00AM

I predict a bunch of "inauguration horror stories" in the week following the event. No city is equipped to handle a huge surge of millions of people all at once like this. I bet plenty of people won't even be able to get into the city that day. You gotta be nuts if you're travelling across the country to come here and deal with the ensuing hassle.

This area's already getting a bit crazy. I called a plumber this morning to see if I could schedule some work in my place next Tuesday. I'll be off from work and home all day, figured it would be a convenient day for them to come in. When I mentioned the 21st, she sounded shocked and told me they weren't scheduling anything that day because of all the traffic. I mean, c'mon already!! It's not like I live on Constitution Ave! I guess they just plan on not doing business that day. (I was tempted to make some dumb 'Joe The Plumber' comment to her but chickened out).

Posted by: Brawk ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:03AM

(I was tempted to make some dumb 'Joe The Plumber' comment to her but chickened out).

Glad you saved it for the rest of us.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:09AM

The 19th and 20th have been declared federal holidays, so the government is closing.

The inauguration is turning into a fucking circus, just like the election. Everyone's crying about the recession and the piss-poor economy, but yeah, let's go ahead and spend millions on a ceremony.

Fucking Americans get everything they deserve.

Posted by: Vinny Testes-verde ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:34AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. I called
> a plumber this morning to see if I could schedule
> some work in my place next Tuesday. I'll be off
> from work and home all day, figured it would be a
> convenient day for them to come in. When I
> mentioned the 21st, she sounded shocked and told
> me they weren't scheduling anything that day
> because of all the traffic. I mean, c'mon
> already!! It's not like I live on Constitution
> Ave! I guess they just plan on not doing business
> that day.

Forget the plumber. I'll bet Vince would clean your pipes out for free.

Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: January 13, 2009 04:32PM

Fairfax Connector to Provide Free Rides
on Inauguration Day

Fairfax Connector will provide free rides for all passengers on Tuesday, Jan. 20. Metrorail station parking is expected to fill up very early that day, so residents are encouraged to park for free at a Fairfax County Park and Ride and take the Fairfax Connector to a Metrorail station if they are not along a Connector route operating that day.

Fairfax Connector will operate an enhanced Saturday schedule with more trips and additional routes. Routes serving Metrorail stations located in Fairfax County will be supplemented with more trips in order to accommodate more passengers. Bus service will operate from 4:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight.

Metrorail stations with enhanced Connector service are:
• Huntington – Routes 101, 109, 151, 152, 161, 162, 171
• Franconia-Springfield – Routes 171, 310, 321, 322, 401
• Van Dorn Street – Routes 109, 321, 322
• Dunn Loring – Route 401
• West Falls Church – Routes 425, 427, 505, 551, 585, 950 and 980

In addition to the routes listed above, Connector routes 574, 605 and RIBS 1, 2, 3, and 4 will operate on Jan. 20. These routes do not go to Metrorail stations but provide transfer opportunities to buses that do serve Metrorail stations. No other routes will operate on this holiday.

The following 11 Park and Rides have service to Metrorail stations in Fairfax County:

Name Bus Routes to Metro Stations
Backlick North 310
Herndon Monroe Park and Ride 551, 950, 980
Lorton Market Street 171
Michael's, Richmond Highway 171
Reston East 505, 551
Reston North 505
Reston South 585
Rolling Valley 310
Springfield Mall 321, 322, 401
VRE Backlick Road Station 321, 322, 401
VRE Lorton Station 171

There is no cost to park at these Park and Rides, and all have bus service to Metro stations. Visit http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/parkride.htm for more information about Park and Rides.

Transportation plans for the inauguration are being coordinated with other regional agencies and may change before Jan. 20. For the most up-to-date information, check the Fairfax Connector Web site at www.fairfaxconnector.com or call the Fairfax Connector Information Center at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608.

--------

Have fun! I will be locked in my house with my family. Does anyone know where I can get lots of plastic and duct tape??

Date: January 13, 2009 05:02PM

Yeah. Let all these assholes get a free ride, then bitch about how the county doesn't have any money.

The government has no fucking mind for business.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:35AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> The government has no fucking mind for business.

+1

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: January 15, 2009 12:48PM

you get the free ride to the metro station, only to be jacked by the rush our rates on metro while you stand elbow to elbow with other people and then cram like sardines into a train car....onlyto walk 5 miles and then get told sorry no more space.

Just stay the fuck home and watch on TV

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 15, 2009 12:53PM

Last night on the news they said Park Police are expecting 10,000 buses. That's a lot fucking buses. Where the hell are they going to park them? RFK and FedEX can probably hold a couple hundred. 10,000 is a lot.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: January 15, 2009 03:32PM

Not in the forecast unfortunately, but the only thing that would make it better would be a storm system dumping about a foot of snow on DC Monday night.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 16, 2009 12:30AM

They can park the buses on the closed steets of DC.

Posted by: Buster ()
Date: January 16, 2009 12:39AM

They originally planned to close several metro stations in the burbs, like Springfield, so that buses could park there. But then I guess they figured out that the buses generally can't fit into the garages, nevermind safely navigate the obstacle course driveways into the stations, so they nixed that idea. I think they are now planning a "Monster-Tour-Bus-Mania-Rodeo" somewhere in PG County. So forget the Obamanation and Be there, be there, be there in the PG.

Posted by: You forgot something ()
Date: January 16, 2009 01:01AM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:
> I'll have my car packed with rifles and ammo,
> non-perishable food, toilet paper, milk, jerry
> cans full of gas, water purification tablets, and
> condoms in anticipation of the coming apocolype.

What about K-Y?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.