HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What Does "Fatal error: Call to undefined function phorum_ob_clean() in /web/fairfaxunderground/html/phorum/common.php on line 2191" MEAN?
Posted by: cpTmL ()
Date: June 03, 2015 01:57PM

How come I receive this error message once in a while (not on every post) after trying to post?
Can anyone explain this??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Does "Fatal error: Call to undefined function phorum_ob_clean() in /web/fairfaxunderground/html/phorum/common.php on line 2191" MEAN?
Posted by: JybXP ()
Date: June 03, 2015 01:59PM

Usually an unsupported character set in something that you're trying to cut and paste.

Re: What Does "Fatal error: Call to undefined function phorum_ob_clean() in /web/fairfaxunderground/html/phorum/common.php on line 2191" MEAN?
Posted by: KhbWJ ()
Date: June 03, 2015 02:10PM

^^Thanks for the info.!

Posted by: Dr. Gridlock ()
Date: June 03, 2015 09:41PM

Holy Shit. A straight answer. Been months since I've seen one of those on this site. OP, consider yourself lucky.

Posted by: PGue4 ()
Date: June 04, 2015 11:25AM

My guess is that the software is slightly damaged, and this is being exposed by a transient database error occurring.

If someone were to mistakenly edit out the phorum_ob_clean() function from common.php, then line 2191 would correspond to a CALL to phorum_ob_clean.

Normally, in the official source code, line 2191 is not a call to this function; it's a comment line near the beginning of the database error handler. The first thing the handler does is to call phorum_ob_clean() discard any pending web output, so that the error message page will not get messed up. So, that's probably the nearby call that is going wrong.

It's self-explanatory that the function is not defined, but the question is "How could that be?". Well, it just so happens that phorum_ob_clean is (in the official sources) defined right there, right before phorum_database_error.

Apparently the function has been edited out of the source code; that would make line 2191 correspond exactly to the call from phorum_database_error.

Somehow, the software has been corrupted. I am guessing that someone accidentally edited it out by hand, or something. (Or maybe they applied some botched up patch. Or maybe it was an upgrade installation that went wrong, rather than a clean install.)

In any event, that function got deleted from what should be line 2168.
Sometimes when posting, there are transient errors attributed to the database. (This is believable.) The error handler tries to do its thing and fails right away, resulting in yet another error, which is the one you see.

Do I get the job now?

Date: June 04, 2015 11:28AM

I've never seen Phorum before and I don't consider myself an expert PHP hacker. It took me about 6 minutes to download the Phorum source code, figure out the version numbers of FFXU, and do the diagnosis.

I am actually seeking employment...

Posted by: uuencode ()
Date: June 04, 2015 11:34AM

it means the clean function sucks !

7 bit clean is all u need

Date: June 04, 2015 11:53AM

uuencode Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it means the clean function sucks !
>
> 7 bit clean is all u need

It could be that the "database error" is due to some character set problem. Like, the database column won't hold some UNICODE strings, so the insert operation fails (because the routine that was supposed to sanitize that away didn't work right).

But I would be more concerned about why you're not getting an error message saying something about that. Instead, you are getting an error message that says "You're software is seriously corrupted, to the point where I can't even give you proper error messages!"

Posted by: v7NnN ()
Date: June 04, 2015 11:54AM

"Your"

Posted by: PhPbb h4x0r ()
Date: June 04, 2015 12:02PM

It started happening after Cary disabled html/css.

Those were the days...

- Logging people out as soon as they visited a page (php image trick)
- Closing threads so people couldn't comment (css trick)
- Changing the background of a thread (css trick)
- Detailed ip tracking (php image trick)

Posted by: India Customer Support ()
Date: June 04, 2015 12:11PM

1) Turn your computer off.
2) Turn the computer on its side for five minutes.
3) Restart the computer and re-post.

Posted by: Silly Kids ()
Date: June 04, 2015 12:13PM

PhPbb h4x0r Wrote:
> It started happening after Cary disabled html/css.
>
>
>
> Those were the days...
>
> - Logging people out as soon as they visited a
> page (php image trick)
> - Closing threads so people couldn't comment (css
> trick)
> - Changing the background of a thread (css trick)
> - Detailed ip tracking (php image trick)

Oh these silly elementary kids.

Posted by: DEpEd ()
Date: June 04, 2015 04:36PM

PGue4 Wrote:
> uuencode Wrote:
> ----------------------

> UNICODE

it's foreign language support that people often give into allowing for upgrading that is often how foreigners get access to hack the hell out of software to break it to attack usa made technologies / wares.

--------------------
i dont have that forum version and havent run it. but i know the forum software strips out "bad" things (ie, illegal html code, binary code, anything it that doesn't meet the criteria of being a typical viewable forum post)

Posted by: name ()
Date: April 29, 2016 08:42PM

Dont try putting the heart from the alt + number lock on a post...It doesnt work :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a sassy, sarcastic teenager. I post my real views on things and I don't care what you might think. :) Have a nice day!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.