HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Illegal Sticker on Rear Window
Posted by: dakers ()
Date: January 10, 2009 04:26PM

I got a ticket this morning in Fairfax for an Illegal Sticker on Rear Window. (County violation 82-1-646.2-1052) I know some people what said it is illegal to have anything in your back window but you see it all the time. Is there a size limit or something?
The sticker my car is sporting is huge (about 1/3 of the whole back window) but there are cut outs that I can see through. I also have 2 unobstructed side mirrors. I have had the sticker on my car since October 08 and this is the first thing that has been said to me about it.
I was a little bummed that the cop didn't give me a warning (I know that there is no reason he should have but). I had no idea this was illegal. I am wondering if the subject matter of the sticker bothered him ("Cops Suck" probably isn't the best sticker to have in your back window).
Daria

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Illegal Sticker on Rear Window
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 10, 2009 04:56PM

dakers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am wondering if the subject matter of the
> sticker bothered him ("Cops Suck" probably isn't
> the best sticker to have in your back window).

im going to go out on a limb and say yes.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: dakers sucks ()
Date: January 10, 2009 05:04PM

"AKERS ","DARIA ","F","032"," 6227","WILMINGTON ","DR","BURKE ","VA","10/10/2005","IMPROPER USE OF STATE TAGS "
"AKERS ","DARIA ","F","032"," 6227","WILMINGTON ","DR","BURKE ","VA","10/10/2005","IMPROPER USE OF STATE TAGS "
"AKERS ","DARIA ","F","035"," 6227","WILMINGTON ","DR","BURKE ","VA","03/26/2008","55-59MPH/30MPH ZONE "

Date: January 10, 2009 05:39PM

My sticker doesn't say "Cops Suck".... It was a JOKE! But you either LOVE my sticker or you hate it. And I think the cop didn't like it.

OHhhhh someone knows how to do a search on the ticket search. I actually have no idea what the tickets for "Improper Use of State Tags" is. Yeah speeding is my downfall. I have some more recent tickets that aren't listed.... I wonder why.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 10, 2009 06:45PM

dakers Wrote:
> My sticker doesn't say "Cops Suck".... It was a
> JOKE! But you either LOVE my sticker or you hate
> it. And I think the cop didn't like it.

let me guess, its political.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: January 10, 2009 07:27PM

Well DUH... Political. Not quite as controversial as "I'm pro-abortion, not pro-choice." though.
I have a HUGE Obama sticker on my window.

Posted by: Herndon Guy ()
Date: January 10, 2009 08:12PM

For 55 in a 30 you should've gotten reckless. Count yourself lucky.

Posted by: yourstickerisprobablylameanyways ()
Date: January 10, 2009 08:23PM

stickers can be at the extremes of the window: top, bottom, or sides, and cannot obstruct any of the useful field of view.

sounds like your ticket fails it, sweetheart.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 10, 2009 08:36PM

Many cars, mine included, have those clear college stickers that particlaly obstruct the rear field of view, though I have never heard of someone getting pulled for those.

Probably because they don't cover a third of the window... that is just huge, never seen something that big before unless it is one of those cars wrapped with an advertisement.

Posted by: BoyHowdy ()
Date: January 11, 2009 12:03AM

I've always had a sticker on my back window, in the center bottom, college, Grateful Dead, and now American flag, but one at a time. And believe me, ive been pulled over for speeding lots of times, the officer (Ffx Co., Blacksburg, Va State Trooper) has never even appeared to notice, definitely didn't care.

Date: January 11, 2009 12:05AM

....oh yeah, and Maryland State Police a couple of times.

Date: January 11, 2009 12:16AM

.....also the Park Police once.

Date: January 11, 2009 10:06AM

....oh, and cops really suck.

Posted by: Howdy Doody ()
Date: January 11, 2009 10:20AM

BoyHowdy Wrote:
> ....oh, and cops really suck.

From the sounds of it, your driving may suck.

Date: January 11, 2009 10:59AM

HEY! Someone else wrote "....oh, and cops really suck."

Posted by: hey daria ()
Date: January 11, 2009 12:13PM

Are you hot?

Post pics and let us decide.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:36AM

Section 82-6-15. Signs on windshields, etc.112

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle upon a highway with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sideshields or rear windows of such motor vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be placed by law or which may be permitted by the Superintendent. The size and placement location of stickers or decals used by counties, cities, and towns in lieu of license plates shall be in compliance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent.
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection (a) of this Section, whenever a motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such vehicle so located as to reflect to the operator of such vehicle a view of the highway for a distance of not less than two hundred (200) feet to the rear of such vehicle, any or all of the following shall be lawful:
(1) To operate a motor vehicle equipped with one (1) optically grooved clear plastic right-angle rear view lens, attached to one (1) rear window of such motor vehicle, not exceeding eighteen (18) inches in diameter in the case of a circular lens or not exceeding eleven (11) inches by fourteen (14) inches in the case of a rectangular lens, which enables the operator of the motor vehicle to view below the line of sight as viewed through the rear window provided such vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side of such vehicle so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of not less than two hundred (200) feet to the rear of such vehicle;
(2) To have affixed to the rear window or windows of a motor vehicle any sticker or stickers, regardless of size;
(3) To have affixed to the rear window or windows of a motor vehicle any sunshading material; or
(4) To operate a motor vehicle when the driver's clear view of the highway through the rear window or windows is otherwise obstructed.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the affixing to the rear window of a motor vehicle of a single sticker no larger than a circle four (4) inches in diameter, nor shall the provisions of Subsection (b) of this Section be applied to a motor vehicle to which but one (1) such sticker is so affixed. ((3-13-63; 1961 Code, § 16-152; 34-78-82.)

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 12, 2009 12:32PM

I am under the impression that if you have two working side mirrors then it doesn't matter if the back window is painted completely black.

I see planty of work vans and trucks with no back windows at all, why are they not illegal?

Posted by: Weird ()
Date: January 12, 2009 10:54PM

I'm with Lurker. I always thought you didn't even have to have a rear view mirror as long as you had two working side view mirrors. Otherwise, how would those vans with no rear windows at all be legal?

If you have two side mirrors, I'm guessing this won't go far. If not, well, you're SOL.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 14, 2009 10:11PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I am under the impression that if you have two
> working side mirrors then it doesn't matter if the
> back window is painted completely black.
>
> I see planty of work vans and trucks with no back
> windows at all, why are they not illegal?

That's what I read as well. The 200 foot view to the rear of the vehicle may sort of prescribe a certain type of mirror, but I doubt it. Sounds like the cop doesn't know the law. Take photographs of your car, and challenge it in court specifically noting that you have the (2) mirrors (assuming you do).

Posted by: KatnissEverdeen ()
Date: February 05, 2012 09:35PM

According to the law, you are required to have at least two mirrors in use at one time. It is my understanding that it does not matter which two. (Ex: rearview and left side, left and right, or rearview and right.) People drive around all the time without rearview mirrors, so it shouldn't matter that you have any sort of sticker on your rear window.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 05, 2012 10:57PM

Useless thread bump.

Posted by: Mr. Cop ()
Date: February 06, 2012 05:56AM

You deserve to get a ticket if you're dumb enough to have an Obama sticker on your car.

Posted by: A Resident ()
Date: February 06, 2012 06:34AM

I was going to guess she had a "Don't Tread on Me" sticker. So how's that hope and change working out for you OP? I agree Mr.Cop. If you are a cop that would be a first.

Posted by: legality ()
Date: February 06, 2012 09:54AM

i believe the law indicates if "something" is there - factory - it has to be usable on passenger vehicle. e.g., the rear window, blocked with a sticker renders it unusable. those work vans, the typical econoline/ram van/etc, that come from the factory with no window(s) in the rear door(s) are legal, as that's how they came from the factory, and those van typically have large side view mirrors. converted work vans, i think, get a pass as well. they may be technically illegal in some fashion, but theyre never hassled as they typically have the same side mirror set up. plus, folks dont want prying eyes looking into whatever tools/equipment are stored in them. limos fall under the same deal, but i think those are legal regardless as long as the conversion meets whatever code is applied to limos.

it's similar to lights on a passenger vehicle. any lights outside of the mandatory ones - head/tail/directional ones - if theyre on a car they must be operative and in "working condition". fog/driving lights, acessory lights, if theyre on the car they must work and be in good condition. if you have a fog light that works, but the lens is cracked, you will fail state inspection. if you remove both fog lights prior to getting inspected, you will pass, even though there's two holes where they once resided.

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: February 06, 2012 12:46PM

Mr. Cop Wrote:
> You deserve to get a ticket if you're dumb enough
> to have an Obama sticker on your car.

This.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Posted by: State Inspector ()
Date: February 06, 2012 02:21PM

As long as a vehicle has an outside mirror on both sides you can have all the stickers you want on the rear window. As someone said, if you have an outside mirror on the drivers and passengers side you can paint the rear window black. It will pass inspection.

Posted by: interesting... ()
Date: February 06, 2012 02:45PM

State Inspector Wrote:
> As long as a vehicle has an outside mirror on both
> sides you can have all the stickers you want on
> the rear window. As someone said, if you have an
> outside mirror on the drivers and passengers side
> you can paint the rear window black. It will pass
> inspection.

--------------------------

if you are in fact a state inspector, then my above comment obviously isnt accurate with respect to the window.

curious why the state, DMV/DOT whatever regulates inspections, has no problem with a painted black ( unusable ) rear window, but the ploe-ice take offense and have a law that can issue a ticket?

Posted by: Anon Y. Mouse ()
Date: February 06, 2012 04:31PM

This is a ticket you should fight. Presuming you have working mirrors on both sides of the vehicle, you're permitted to have a sticker of ANY size on the rear window.

It's probably worth calling the police station and speaking (politely) with the officer and/or the officer's supervisor. Point out that Code of Virginia 46.2-1052(B)(2) clearly permits stickers of any size, as does the identical language in county ordinance 82-6-15(B)(2). This was probably just an honest mistake on the part of the officer, so there's a reasonable chance you might be able to get the citation voided or dismissed before trial--your ticket was pretty clearly an error if the facts are as you describe them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.