HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
fighting/boxing?
Posted by: mikej ()
Date: January 09, 2009 09:30PM

is it legal to have fights/boxing matches? you know, like kinda underground fight club or something like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fighting/boxing?
Date: January 09, 2009 09:37PM

mikej Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is it legal to have fights/boxing matches? you
> know, like kinda underground fight club or
> something like that?

Troll alert Pictures, Images and Photos

Date: January 09, 2009 10:13PM

nah i'm serious about it, no troll. i just need to know if there are any "legal rammifications" ya know?

Posted by: Gravis knows ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:15PM

Ask Gravis. He can give you a copy of his fight contracts he used to ask people on here to sign! LOL

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:17PM

If you're worried about getting busted by the cops for it, that's generally a pretty good indication that it's not legal.

Date: January 10, 2009 10:18AM

ok, but what are the consequences?

Posted by: Tyler Durden ()
Date: January 10, 2009 02:35PM

dude. your breaking the first rule

Posted by: Dr. Pepper () ()
Date: January 10, 2009 02:48PM

Ha...."Don't Ever Talk About the Fight Club".

Seems like an open ended question. If you are going to have a basement boxing party or amateur MMA type of deal, how the hell would anyone find out about it (unless you...ahem...post it here)?

If you are trying to organize an official event, check with some of the local boxing or MMA gyms in the area....there are a few different sanctioning bodies in the area. Here are a couple of local links:

http://www.thecavemma.com/

http://www.operationoctagon.com/

www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/virginia.htm

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 11, 2009 08:44AM

You can find the rules for these things in the Virginia Code, Title 54.1, Chapters 8 and 8.1.

Some highlights:

§ 54.1-835. Other penalties.

A. It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person required to possess a license under subsection A of § 54.1-829 to engage in the promotion, arrangement or conduct of or participate in a boxing or wrestling event without first obtaining the appropriate license from the Department.

B. It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to employ or otherwise arrange for an individual to compete in a boxing or wrestling event who is not licensed as required by subsection B of § 54.1-829.

C. It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person conducting a boxing or wrestling event to permit any betting or wagering at the event before, during or after the event, in the building where the contest is held.

D. It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to violate any statute or regulation governing a profession regulated pursuant to this chapter.

E. The third or any subsequent conviction for violating any provision of this section during a thirty-six-month period shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

Date: January 11, 2009 08:45AM

That means you need a license to at LEAST stage the fight, if not participate. All the major boxing exhibition states require the fighters to be approved for a license by a state panel; why wouldn't VA?

Posted by: logic ()
Date: January 11, 2009 12:15PM

You're not going to get in legal trouble if you have a boxing match in your backyard, period. Just don't break any noses.

Date: January 11, 2009 12:24PM

I assumed we were talking a public event, I agree that you should do as you please on your own property and then expect to merely get sued at worst.

Date: January 11, 2009 03:10PM

true, could i get sued though if i made the participants sign waivers?

Date: January 12, 2009 10:47AM

I'm pretty sure if you are involving waivers, you are are back to the original point - whether the authorities find out, and what happens if they do.

Any lawyer would tell you to give it up or just do it and expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:12AM

How about Bob and I on the card? LOL I'll do it, if you can get it sanctioned. I'll sign whatever BS liability contract you have. Are you down, Bob?

Posted by: Cleetus ()
Date: January 12, 2009 01:27PM

inkahootz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about Bob and I on the card? LOL I'll do it,
> if you can get it sanctioned. I'll sign whatever
> BS liability contract you have. Are you down, Bob?

Those sound like fightin' words to me
I already know the answer thats coming

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.