HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Historical Sightings of Bigfoot in Northern VA?
Posted by: Curious about this. ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:48AM

I'm curious to know if there is any documentation regarding sightings of Bigfoot in Nothern VA or the surrounding area. I recently read a thread in the forum regarding historial sightings in VA dating back hundreds of years, however, I am unable to find them. Not even on the poster's advertised webpage. Here's the thread where I found it...

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1439381.html

I didn't know we had any sightings until recently. Does anyone have information or links to these "historical sightings"?
Attachments:
image002.gif

Options: ReplyQuote
Hmmmmm I found this and thought I would share...
Posted by: Hmmmmm.... ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:51AM

Hmmmmm I found this and thought I would share...

A Bigfoot sighted near Bristol began a reign of terror
http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_8162c28c-80fe-11e2-ab49-0019bb30f31a.html

It seems that all across America, there are areas that have tales of what might be called “Bigfoot stories.” Virtually all of them tell of a super-sized giant resembling a human being. The detailed descriptions vary as to size and shape, but there are some things in common. Generally it is told that the footprints are in the 18-20 inch range. Also, the gigantic body is usually covered in black or brown hair. This hair is usually said to be muddy or matted and in most cases, there is a long, overwhelming eye-burning scent that lingers long after the beast has passed. Some say they have encountered the scent without encountering the sight and have fled.

Most of these bigfoot reports come from the Pacific Northwest, but there are other scattered stories coming from other parts of the nation. In Virginia, I am aware of reports that include Culpepper, Dinwiddie, Orange, Highland, Amherst, Bath, Prince William, Giles and Wythe counties. In the area of Tennessee near Bristol, there are claims made of such in Johnson, Greene, Hancock and Hawkins counties.

Some people dismiss these stories as figments of imagination. Some classify them with ghosts. But as with the case of ghosts, there are many whose testimonies are hard to dismiss. The investigations go on and are sometimes headed by reputable and respectable college professors or other such gentlemen. I am neither defensive nor offensive, but as usual I keep an open mind. I could not call myself “educatable” unless I did so.

Purportedly, an event of this nature occurred in Washington County, Va. I had not been long in Bristol before I heard tales concerning this creature. Some old-timers called the creature a “monster man” but to stay with the usual trend, we’ll call him a “bigfoot.” There is one major difference with this creature. He was about the standard size, 7-9 feet tall, had big footprints of 20 inches or more and had that distinctive odor. Instead of being black or brown, this bigfoot was said to have been either light gray or white. That was the reason some people called him a ghost.

Most informants, and there were many, agreed that he suddenly appeared soon after the close of the Civil War (1868-1869). The area where he was most often seen was near a knob said to have been near the Old Jonesboro Road not far from Abingdon. Several years ago, a man brought me a picture of this mountain where this monster appeared. That man died before I could have him point out to me specifically to where in that picture he was referring. That remains a mystery to me to this day. Perhaps some of the readers seeing the picture included in this article can be of help.

It seems that the reign of terror began when residents began to find partially eaten livestock on their farms. Goats seem to have been a favorite prey. Then after these incidents, sightings began to occur. A man plowing his field at the base of the aforementioned mountain saw one of his goats fleeing as if running for his life. Indeed he was. A second look revealed that a human like creature with arms almost as long as his body was reaching for the frightened goat. Once caught, the goat was tucked under his arm and carried off into the woods at the edge of the field.

Then there is a tale of an old lady who lived alone at the foot of this mountain. One of my informants called her Aunt Mollie. One night there was a disturbance in her chicken house. She grabbed a light and a rifle and headed to it. Instead of the expected coon or snake, she was confronted by a large monster emerging from the door carrying several chickens. She just fainted away and fell onto the path leading from her door to the chicken coop. When she came to, the monster was gone. That next day, she packed up and moved to the home of a son.

One moonlit night, a couple was moving along in a single horse-drawn buggy. The horse became startled and the couple was frightened to see the form of the big white monster in the bushes beside the road. It attacked the horse. The couple jumped from the buggy and fled back down the road. The husband gathered up well-armed neighbors and went back to the site. The dead horse lay near the overturned buggy. A great deal of the flesh of its neck had been eaten by the monster. Much more of the horse had been torn into shreds. Big tracks of the monster were found in a cornfield nearby. Many of the stalks had been stripped of the ears of corn and there was evidence the corn had been eaten shucks and all. A little later, a farmer viewed the monster stripping fruit from his trees.

What really brought things to a fevered pitch was when a young man, returning from the War in very poor health, died after lingering on for several years. He was buried, at his own request, at the top of the mountain where he had often hunted. This was the same mountain considered to be the territory of the bigfoot. A day or two after the burial, his father took tools to erect a fence around his son’s grave. He found that the body of his son had been dug up and most of the flesh had been stripped to the bones. Several well-armed men gathered and combed the mountain for days. They could never find the monster. Some thought he lived in a cave that may have had a hidden entrance.

The late Martha Jane Hart told me her grandfather, Jacob S. Carmack, was one of the men that went to hunt for the bigfoot.

Not long after this a violent storm went through the area falling great trees. After that storm, the bigfoot was never seen again. Several years after that, hunters found a huge human like skeleton pinned under a chestnut tree that had been felled by that storm. Perhaps nature had done what man could not do.

If this area has ever had another bigfoot, I have heard nothing of it.

Bud Phillips is a local historian and author. He can be reached at (276) 466-6435. For more about Bristol’s history, visit www.bristolhistoricalassociation.com.

Bud Phillips writes Pioneers in Paradise, a column focusing on the history of Bristol, Tenn., Va., each Sunday in the Community section of the Bristol Herald Courier. This peaceful-appearing little mountain located near the Old Jonesborough Road between Bristol and Abingdon was once shunned by residents of the area because it was thought to be the domain of a fearful creature known as “Bigfoot.” The remains of this creature were buried on this mountain but the grave site is now lost.
Attachments:
512e3cfd1e180_preview-300.jpg
512e3c723e85c_preview-300.jpg

Re: Historical Sightings of Bigfoot in Northern VA?
Posted by: 9XNUV ()
Date: February 18, 2014 11:13AM

There's a thread on the Mt. Vernon Monster which is believed by some to be a bigfoot...

Mt. Vernon Monster
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1439381.html

Posted by: Knower of Things ()
Date: February 18, 2014 11:54AM

Www.sasquatchwatch.org

Posted by: TEtwG ()
Date: February 18, 2014 12:40PM

Yeti another bigfoot thread on FFXU. This is abominable.

Posted by: NEED CHUCK HOFFMAN ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:49PM

Curious about this. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious to know if there is any documentation
> regarding sightings of Bigfoot in Nothern VA or
> the surrounding area. I recently read a thread in
> the forum regarding historial sightings in VA
> dating back hundreds of years, however, I am
> unable to find them. Not even on the poster's
> advertised webpage. Here's the thread where I
> found it...
>
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/143
> 9381.html
>
> I didn't know we had any sightings until recently.
> Does anyone have information or links to these
> "historical sightings"?

Chuck Hoffman may be able to provide some historical insights on this. He keeps data about murders, graves, etc. Hopefully he has some pertinent data to your search. I admit, I too am at least curious.

Posted by: Colon Powell ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:52PM

It tells you things are bad in the Sasquatch economy. They're moving to the nation's capital to get some assistance or work. We haven't heard about Al Qaeda lately. How about a Bigfoot scare to get some counterterrorism funding unstuck?

Posted by: imbiker ()
Date: February 18, 2014 04:33PM

Yeti?
Attachments:
excaped.jpg

Posted by: Big Feet ()
Date: February 18, 2014 06:34PM

Go to bfro,net and search. There have been sightings around Mount Vernon, Quantico, and out 66. Most VA sightings have been in more isolated areas though.

One famous local MD incident was during the building of Arundel Mills when a security guard observed one over a period of time one night. They have been seen a lot around the Patuxent refuge and Ft Meade.

Posted by: Evidence of Bigfoot ()
Date: February 18, 2014 07:07PM

Attachments:
IMG_20131117_111522.jpg

Posted by: Big Game Hunter ()
Date: February 20, 2014 02:29AM

Posted by: Interesting Report ()
Date: February 20, 2014 06:52AM

Big Game Hunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=33887

Interesting...

Report # 33887 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Monday, February 27, 2012.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retired Military Policeman remembers strange incidents while on guard duty at Fort Belvoir
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Show Printer-friendly Version)
YEAR: 1978

SEASON: Summer

MONTH: July

DATE: 15

STATE: Virginia

COUNTY: Fairfax County

LOCATION DETAILS: This is an active US Army Airfield with sensitive areas (restricted) on post. At the time when I was there, the Night Vision Labs were testing NV Goggles on helicopter pilots.

Davison AAF is located off Route 1, Richmond Highway.

NEAREST TOWN: Ft Belvoir

NEAREST ROAD: Route 1

OBSERVED: This was at Davison US Army Airfield, Ft Belvoir Virginia. This was a while back so please hang in there with me.

From late 1977 to Dec 1979 I was assigned to Davison as a Military Policeman. The airfield is not that large and I am pretty sure it's still an active military installation even now. The airfield is pretty much surrounded by a wooded area and part of the airfield is on a small swamp. When I started working there I was chided by other MP's to be careful of the so called "DUSAA Swamp Monster" it was called.

We had to have a walking 2 man patrol a couple times a night walk the perimeter fence inside the field area. There were countless times while on those walking patrols that I occasionally made, where sounds were heard not only from the swamp area but also the wooded area along the south perimeter fence. By sounds I mean you could hear branches breaking, not small branches mind you, but I mean a VERY LOUD audible CRACK, you'd hear dogs barking in the distance and occasionally some kind of animal - which after hearing recordings on the net of a Squatch - they sounded AWFUL familiar!

Randomly I also had to pull guard at the main gate which is right there on Route 1 - the main entrance to the airfield. I've had the crap scared out of me more than I like to think about at that gate at night - you're there all by yourself in a small wooden gate shack with 1 street light right above you and that's it. Anyway, to the south in the woods I've heard bangs (what you all call knocks) and animal noises, I've seen deer running like all hell and jump the fence on to the air field in the middle of the night getting away from something and only 1 time, and it was 1 time way too many, when I saw a deer following the fence at about 2 AM one night and I heard something in the woods, I yelled out and I saw the red reflection of 2 eyes staring at me back from the blackness just inside the trees just out of range of the street light - I still see those eyes when I think about it and it's been what... 34 years!!!

One night, about 10pm, or there about, I had a civilian motorist come to the gate off highway 1 and ask me to call the State Police, I asked why and he said this big BIG hairy thing... yup he said thing ... walked across the road in front of him and headed onto Ft Belvoir property and he almost hit it. He thought at first it was a man in a gorilla suit but it was way too tall to be a man. This guy was shaking like hell too. I told him that it's probably gone by now and the [troopers] probably would not find it. I had heard of other reports by motorists and even the State Police about sightings along Route 1 between DUSAA and Ft Belvoir. This happened year round, almost any month of the year.

ALSO NOTICED: As I said, there had been numerous times, at random times of the evening/night that I had heard bangs and branch (which sounded more like a whole tree) breaking and other strange animal sounds and there was no way I was going alone out there to see what it was. LOL

OTHER WITNESSES: Other Military personnel and Military Policeman have also heard the sounds coming from the swamp and wooded area.

OTHER STORIES: I was told by military personnel on base and other MP's that this kind of stuff had been going on since before they were assigned there.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Mostly from about Sunset to early morning - after sunset it is DARK, no if's and's or but's!

ENVIRONMENT: Pine Wooded area, swamp, creek (I think). I think there is a housing community on the south side of the wooded area (I think this has been built since I was last there in 1979).

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K.:

After conversing with the witness, the following information can be added to this report:

When he saw the red eyes looking back at him, he was pulling guard duty at the entrance gate to Davison Army Air Field on Britten Drive, just off U.S. Route 1, Richmond Highway.

The gate shack was about 15 feet long by 6 feet wide and ran parallel to the road, standing in the middle of it.

Facing south toward Richmond Highway, the area where the eyes appeared would be to the right, in the woods.

There is a drop off, a small ravine on that side and on the other side of the fence it raises back up again in a gentle slope.

It was at night and the eyes were just far enough into the woods that the street light could just barely light up the trees, and the eyes were just back a little farther back from there.

Because of the terrain, he estimates the eyes were at least 7 to 8 feet off the ground and a bit wider than a human's eyes. He had seen deer in that area before, and it was well above their normal eye height.

Referring to the motorist who almost hit something big and hairy crossing Route 1, this witness did see skid marks on the way to work the next evening at the location where the motorist reports nearly hitting a creature.

This area of Fort Belvoir was relatively undeveloped in the period this witness was stationed there. It is still heavily forested in parts, and the area could easily provide cover to a sasquatch should it choose to pass through.

About BFRO Investigator D.K.:

D.K. is a business executive with an MS in Systems Engineering. Formerly a linguistic analyst, he applies his knowledge to the collection and study of sasquatch vocals and communication patterns. BFRO expeditions attended: Tennessee 2010, Pennsylvania 2011, Ohio 2012, West Virginia 2012 & West Virginia 2013

Posted by: Another Interesting report ()
Date: February 20, 2014 07:18AM

This one is also in Fairfax County...

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=23400

Report # 23400 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, March 18, 2008.
Upright creature crosses road in the path of a car near Newington Forest
YEAR: 1973

COUNTY: Fairfax County

LOCATION DETAILS: Pohick Road at Newington Forrest just east of Magic Leaf Road, near Fort Belvoir.

NEAREST TOWN: Springfield, Newington Forrest

NEAREST ROAD: Pohick Road near Magic Leaf Rd

OBSERVED: I was driving down Pohick Road in Fairfax one evening, this animal walked out from behind a road sign, stopped, stared at me, then with one stride it was on the other side. He went into the woods.

OTHER WITNESSES: My kids were in the back seat, but they didn't see it.

OTHER STORIES: None in that area, some in Mt Vernon

TIME AND CONDITIONS: It was late evening, almost dark. The weather was clear.

ENVIRONMENT: At the time there was a lot of trees and creeks. I haven't been there in years, it is more developed now.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Cathy Betz:

I spoke to this witness by phone and although it has been some 35 years since she had this encounter, she had numerous details to add to this report. To her, it seemed like yesterday and the sighting was "burned into her memory".
-It took place in the summer evening about 9pm in 1973 while driving down Pohick Road with her children.
-The weather was clear and calm.
-While driving down this, then rural road, a 6'-7', 300lb-400lb, orangy-brown, bipedal creature stepped out into the road in front of her car.
-After one stride the creature was in the middle of the road and upon seeing her headlights, stopped and turned towards her and paused, as if surprised.
-The witness stated that when it turned towards her, it turned at the waist and that its head and torso turned as one unit.
-The witness stated that it was only two to three yards away from the hood of the car and her first impression of the creature were of its eyes.-"The eyes were huge and dark" and it had "that deer in the headlights look".
-Being in her headlights and only two-three yards away from the creature, the witness was able to see other details. She stated that the creature had a pot-belly, as if it "had worms, or was pregnant", its hair was "unkept, hanging and matted" and resembled the hair texture and color of an orangutan. She stated that its shoulders were wider than its hips, it had longer hair on its legs and shoulders than on its belly and that it had no discernible genitalia.
-She described the head as, "almost like a baby's head that had just been born", conical, or "coneheaded on the top and flat in the back".
-The eyes were deep-set and dark with big eyebrows. The brow was pronounced, the lips were thin with no noticeable teeth since its mouth was closed and there was no discernible ears or neck. The nose was flat, with big, wide nostrils that went down to its lips and it had a big jaw.
-The arms and legs were muscular. It had long arms that hung below the knees and its hands were curled into fists. It had a longish body.
-When asked to compare this creature to the Patterson Creature, the witness stated that although it had a pot-belly and was very muscular, it was thinner to the point of almost looking malnourished.
-Because of the close proximity to the hood of her car she could not see the lower legs or feet.
-After staring at each other for a few moments, the witness stated that it crossed from the middle of the road onto the shoulder in one stride and that its gait was smooth and fluid.
-She stated that although it resembled a human in basic anatomical structure, it didn't walk or look human. She said the neck, torso and shoulders stayed fixed while its arms swung forward and its knees flexed in a peculiar manner.
-The sighting area is now heavily developed compared to when the witness had her sighting. It is fairly close to some inlets of the Chesapeake Bay and there are several State Parks and wilderness areas in the vicinity.

About BFRO Investigator Cathy Betz:

Cathy has been a nurse for over 27 years and currently works in a busy ICU. An amateur naturalist, Cathy has been intrigued by the bigfoot phenomenon from an early age.
Attended the following expeditions:
- The 2006 Florida Expedition
- The 2007 North Carolina Expedition
- The 2008 South Florida Expedition
- The 2008 North Florida Expedition
- The 2009 Central Florida Expedition
- The 2009 Utah Expedition
- The 2010 TN Survey Expedition
- The 2011 East Texas Expedition
-The 2012 North FL Expedition
-The 2013 Michigan Upper Peninsula Expedition
For more information, please see the Florida BFRO

Posted by: One in Loudoun ()
Date: February 20, 2014 07:38AM

Report # 35477 (Class A)
Submitted by witness on Tuesday, May 22, 2012.
Memory told of a nighttime sighting while joy riding on train tracks near Purcellville
YEAR: 1970

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

DATE: 15

COUNTY: Loudoun County

LOCATION DETAILS: NEAR OLD MERRITT FARM

NEAREST TOWN: PURCELLVILLE VA

NEAREST ROAD: ROUT 722

OBSERVED: IN MAY 1970 MY BUDDY AND I WERE RIDING IN HIS 1957 WILLIES JEEP IN THE W&O RAILROAD TRACK IN PURCELLVILLE, VA ABOUT TEN PM WHEN WE ENCOUNTERED A LARGE BIPEDAL ANIMAL CROSSING THE TRACKS APROX 70 TO 100 YARDS IN FRONT OF US. IT TOOK ABOUT THREE STEPS TO CLEAR APPOX. 30 FT FROM SHOULDER TO SHOULDER ACROSS THE TRACKS. THE ANIMAL LOOKED ROUGHLY 7 TO 8 FEET TALL, COVERED IN REDISH GREY HAIR. IT HAD LONG ARMS, LONG LEGS, BROAD SHOULDERS, AND NO DISERNABLE NECK. AS IT GLANCED A LOOK AT OUR VEHICLE I COULD TELL THE CREATURES FACE WAS APE LIKE IN NATURE. THIS ALL HAPPENED VRY FAST. MY BUDDY AND I LOOKED AT EACH OTHR IN ASTONISHMENT, SLAMMED THE JEEP IN REVERSE, AND GOT THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

OTHER WITNESSES: 2 WITNESSES, JUST HANGING OUT DRIVING ON THE RAILROAD TRACKS

TIME AND CONDITIONS: APPROX. 10PM DARK BUT CLEAR

ENVIRONMENT: BRIARS AND BRUSH ON EACH SIDE OF THE TRACKS AND FARMLAND AND SOME WOODS

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator R. Monteith:

I spoke with the witness several times on the phone. He is a very credible, well-known family business owner. The interesting thing about this report is that it wasn’t until many years later he realized what his encounter was with. In 1970, both teenagers at the time in rural Virginia had never heard of bigfoot.

During the end of his senior year in Loudoun Valley High School, the witness and his friend would occasionally joy ride on the train tracks. His friend’s jeep tires fit perfectly on top the tracks. One night while driving they saw a large, dark, hairy creature cross the tracks diagonally toward them, about 70 – 100 yards ahead. The creature was very fast, crossing across the entire track area in 2 – 3 steps.

Area where teens witnessed the crossing:

The boys, being in an open vehicle and not knowing what they just saw were very scared. They stopped the vehicle and reversed as fast as they could to the next road crossing. The witness laughed as he described how the tires had fallen off the tracks in their haste, and how they bumped all the way back.

In describing the animal’s build he said it was lean and very athletic. The witness compared it to American Swimmer Michael Phelps' body.

The bigfoot crossed the tracks left to right, coming from a wooded area heading towards a very large local farm. The farm grew corn and raised cows.

He observed the following in the headlights.

- It was 7 - 8 feet high.
- It was a reddish brown – with some gray in color.
- It had very long arms, long legs and broad shoulders.
- It had no discernible neck.
- It had a short forehead, and appeared “ape like” in face.
- The hair was thick – he could not see skin.
- It did not seem to look at them.
Attachments:
35477-1.jpg

Posted by: Quantico Sighting ()
Date: February 20, 2014 07:45AM

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=679

Report # 679 (Class A)
Submitted by witness R. A. at bx38@go.com on Wednesday, November 15, 2000.
Marine had late night sighting on military base in Quantico
YEAR: 1957

MONTH: July

COUNTY: Prince William County

LOCATION DETAILS: The place is a U.S. Marine camp, it is outside of Quantico base, if my memories serves me right it was camp Geotche.

NEAREST TOWN: Quantico VA

NEAREST ROAD: U.S.1

OBSERVED: While I was a Marine stationed at one of the schools demostration camps in Quantico VA I observed something that looked like a bear while walking my post, what alerted me was a dog that use to walk post with whoever was on duty at night, when she started to bark I looked up and saw a figure that was about 7 feet tall had light brownish hair on it's body, was not able to see the face due to the darkness of the wooded area, but when I told the dog to go after it, the figure just stayed there and didn't move, but when I put a round in the chamber of my M1 it took off running, I never saw it after that, I asked some Marines that came from that area if there was an animal that looked like my description and their remark was, what did you have to drink, I really never paid any attention to the matter until years later I started to see stories of big foot, I am hoping that my story can confirm someone elses sighting in that area.

ALSO NOTICED: No I did not see or hear anyhting after that day, I asked others who were in the camp longer than I if they knew what kind of bear would look like that in that area, they thought that i was drinking something at the time, which was not so.

OTHER WITNESSES: No there were no witnesses, what alerted me was a pet dog we had that use to walk the post with who ever was on guard duty at night.

OTHER STORIES: No I haven't, I am writing to see if anyone else has seen anything like what I saw, then maybe we can confirm the story.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: The time was about 0130 hours and if I remember correctly the night was clear and weather was about 60 degrees

ENVIRONMENT: The area was a wooded area, there was a lake close by, I was a young Marine on guard duty that night, I was walking a post by quanset huts which was part of the camp.

Follow-up investigation report:

Talked with witness and the following details can be added:
--was stationed at the Base for six months in 1957;
--the military reservation consists of large sections of forest;
--only other wildlife he had heard to be present in the area were deer (no bear were ever reported);
--dog's name was Goldy;
--generally, since the area was so remote and no one had ever gotten onto the base before, he didn't at first pay the creature much attention;
--this occurred before Bigfoot was reported in the press, so he had no clue what he was seeing;
--if it was a hoax, the person would have risked being shot by the guards;
--animal was probably coming in to root around in the mess hall garbage cans;
--description of creature (he was within 80 feet of him): it was stocky, boxer type, with no real neck (head appeared to just be sitting on the body), when it ran off, it did so on two legs;
--he was mostly alarmed that the creature did not appear to be afraid of the dog, but did appear to be afraid of the gun.

If you had a similar experience on the Base or where on the Base at this same time, witness had included his email address for you to contact.

Posted by: Nokesville sighting ()
Date: February 20, 2014 07:47AM

Report # 27682 (Class B)
Submitted by witness DH on Tuesday, May 04, 2010.
Possible roadside sighting at night by a family outside Nokesville
YEAR: 2010

SEASON: Spring

MONTH: May

DATE: Monday

COUNTY: Prince William County

LOCATION DETAILS: Directions omitted upon the request of the church

NEAREST TOWN: Nokesville, VA

OBSERVED: This sighting was on the night of Monday, 05.03.2010. My 12 year old daughter and I picked up my son (age 18) at Dulles International Airport (Virginia) at 9:45 pm and proceeded south on Route 28. My daughter was riding in the front seat; my son rode in the back seat. I became disoriented and missed our turn.

After driving down roads that had unfamiliar names, were unmarked by lines, and even having to drive around part of a pine tree that had been broken and looked to be thrown in the middle of the road--we backtracked.

In the area of the sighting, the speed limit drops from 45 MPH to 35 MPH. I dropped my speed to heed the limit. We came to a corner where there is a church.

Crouched and bent over near the ditch/beside the road and directly in front of the church, was a large auburn brown figure. It appeared to have its back toward the road, so I saw no face. The fur texture, shape, and lay were similar to a grizzly (brown) bear. I saw it but said nothing. My daughter immediately said, "Did you see that?! What was it?" I joking said, "I don't know, maybe it was Bigfoot." My son said he was looking forward and only saw a reddish brown color difference in his peripheral vision. The time was approximately 11:00 pm. I asked if I should turn around and go back to see. The kids said to keep driving because they were already rattled by being lost late at night. They didn't want to waste any more time getting home. We arrived home between midnight and 12:30 am. I immediately got online to look at MapQuest to figure out our route; not because of the sighting, rather to see how I had gotten so lost. I assumed we saw a brown bear foraging for food. I mentally noted that the broken tree was in the vicinity of the bear sighting.

Today (Tuesday, 05.04.2010)I began research on grizzly (brown) bears in Virginia. I found a Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries PDF link stating that grizzly (brown) bears do not live in Virginia. Virginia is home to only black bears. (See Narrator, p.3 at http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/video/living-with-black-bears/living-with-black-bears-transcript.pdf.) Now, I think what I had joked about may have been a Bigfoot sighting.

ALSO NOTICED: Before the incident we saw a broken tree in the vicinity, laying in the middle of a road. It looked as though it had been thrown in the road.

OTHER WITNESSES: 3 witnesses: DH (mother, age 42), J(daughter, age 12), and J (son,age 18). All witnesses were emotionally tense because they were lost. Witnesses became calmed right before sighting because they had turned on to a familiar road that would eventually lead them home. See detailed description under "What was seen, heard, or found?"

OTHER STORIES: None known.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: This happened at night, approximately 10:30-11:00 pm. The figure was illuminated by car non-halogen headlights as we rounded a curve.

ENVIRONMENT: Rural country road with nearby woods.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator O. Seaman:

After talking to the witness for more than an hour two different times, I do believe that she is a credible witness. She is a school teacher in VA.

This is a photo of the ditch where the animal was seen crouched and bent over next to the road in front of the church.

I talked to the pastor of the church and he told me that there was a car accident prior to this incident. The accident took out several telephone poles and several trees. The pastor removed one of the trees a few days after the car accident and took it across the road to a property that the church has. The pastor took me over to the field to show me where the tree was placed. I found possible old shelters or blinds and this arched tree that was pinned by a large rock.

I do believe that this is a good hunting area for a large animal due to the large number of deer and fresh water ponds in the area. After checking with Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries, they verified that there are no brown bears in Virginia.

The pastor asked me not to make the location and the church name public. This is an on-going investigation with the cooperation of the pastor and local residents.

These are quick sketches of the figure seen in the ditch that evening, the 1st one drawn by the mother and the 2nd by the daughter.
Attachments:
27682Ditch2.jpg
27682ArchedTree2.jpg
27682Sketches2.jpg

Posted by: Breaking News! ()
Date: February 20, 2014 10:30AM

This one was seen skulking in the parking lot at Walmart...
Attachments:
bigfoot-wallyworld.jpg

Posted by: aghh! ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:06PM

Bigfoot, it's back, on Braddock!

Posted by: Bigfoot sighters ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:15PM

Loacl news agencies are reporting Bigfoot comes out every year around this time. they aren't sure if it's because of Halloween or he's just hungry, but the police are responding to each and every call.

Posted by: jug eared monkeyman ()
Date: October 31, 2014 12:37AM

Ther have been sightings of this apelike creature since 2008.
Attachments:
39764b1062b72591e.png
Barack-Obama-Monkey-64727.jpg
barack_obama_monkey.jpg

Posted by: libs hate women ()
Date: October 31, 2014 07:35AM

_
Attachments:
unnamed (14).jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.