HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's the deal with traffic on Rt. 28 Lately?
Posted by: Aggravated Driver ()
Date: November 20, 2013 06:59AM

Has anyone else noticed how the traffic has seemed to double on Rt. 28 lately in the 4pm to 5pm timeframe? It's a parking lot from Herndon to the exit for 66. I used to be able to leave work at 4:30pm and get to 66 in about 10 minutes. Now its more like 45 minutes to an hour. There are no accidents, no cops, it just seems like a very slow crawl to 66 East. What's the hold-up?
Attachments:
5114_traffic_cartoon.gif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the deal with traffic on Rt. 28 Lately?
Posted by: This is why ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:00AM

I-66 study shows difficult road ahead for Northern Virginia commuters
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-30/local/38141781_1_capital-beltway-congestion-route-15

How do commuters have the courage to get out of bed when they face a drive through the Interstate 66 corridor?

The national study showing that the D.C. region has the worst congestion in the nation merely supplies bragging rights. It doesn’t pinpoint troubles on any particular route. But a new study for a Virginia transportation program provides a pavement-level view of the misery along the 25 miles of highway between Route 15 in Prince William County and the Capital Beltway.

This recently released study, called a Tier 1 Draft Environmental Impact Statement, was prepared by federal and state transportation officials as part of a lengthy review of the problems along the I-66 corridor and the programs that could ease them.

It doesn’t announce solutions, but it does a really good job certifying the problems. Here’s what researchers found:

Profile of a highway

I-66 is the main east-west interstate highway in Northern Virginia. The main line and its feeder roads serve the District; Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties; and many municipalities along the way. (Virginia has been studying I-66 inside the Beltway separately.)

Regular and high-occupancy vehicle lanes accommodate drivers and bus riders. The Orange Line, Metro’s second-busiest, runs along the middle of the highway for part of its route.

A small portion of the interstate’s drivers go the distance in this corridor. About 7 percent of the eastbound drivers who travel the highway between Nutley Street and the Beltway begin their morning trips west of Route 15. By contrast, 42 percent of the morning traffic enters the highway at Route 123 or Nutley Street, much closer to the Beltway.

Bad, and getting worse

The pipeline isn’t big enough for the job it’s being asked to perform.

More than half of the roadway miles in the peak direction each morning are so congested they are at or near the point of failure in their ability to serve travelers. During the afternoon peaks, nearly two-thirds of the travel miles fall to that level of poor service.

The eastern portion of the corridor, near the Beltway, routinely experiences four to five hours of rush-hour congestion in each direction.

Looking ahead to what conditions might be like in 2040, the researchers predict further deterioration because of population and employment growth. This would not only make the rush-hour traffic heavier but also make the peak periods longer, as many commuters travel earlier or later to escape the worst of it.

Peak-period congestion in each direction between Nutley Street and the Beltway is likely to increase to eight and 10 hours a day.

Meanwhile, the rest of the corridor is subject to the same trend. The number of daily congested hours in the midsection will probably grow from two to four to as many as six. The west side’s congestion could grow from an hour or less to five or six hours.

Choke points

Connoisseurs of congestion can break down the problem further, down to the ramps, merges and interchanges that cause particular difficulty. Many will see their daily experiences confirmed in the researchers’ findings and will notice how many familiar bottlenecks will be rated as failures by 2040.

Route 234 Bypass interchange. The merge for northbound traffic on the Route 234 Bypass (Prince William Parkway) to I-66 east will probably deteriorate from really bad to utter failure during the morning peak.

Route 234 Business interchange. The ramp from Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) to I-66 east will probably be in a failing state of service during the morning peak by 2040 because of the short acceleration ramp. In the afternoon peak, the same will be true for the off ramps because of heavy traffic. On Route 234 Business, four traffic signals within a half-mile create backups that affect the off-ramp traffic, as well as the through lanes.

Route 29 east interchange. At the easternmost of the two I-66 interchanges with Route 29, the merge areas on I-66 will be at a failing level of service during the peaks. Here also, the closeness of the traffic signals can back up traffic from one signal to the next.

I-66 between Routes 29 and 28. I-66 east slows because of heavy traffic entering from the easternmost Route 29 interchange and heavy traffic exiting at Route 28.

Route 28 interchange. The ramps from I-66, which are performing poorly now, will be in a state of failure at peak periods. Short acceleration lanes on Route 28 make merging difficult, and that causes traffic to back up to I-66 during peaks. There’s a left-turn signal for southbound traffic intending to go east, but the volume in the left-turning area often exceeds the space provided, so traffic backs up into a southbound through lane.

Fairfax County Parkway interchange. The difficult merge areas on I-66 at the parkway interchange will continue to deteriorate and be failing by 2040.

Route 50 interchange. East of this interchange, I-66 goes from eight lanes to six, and the shoulder is used as a fourth lane in the peak direction. Going east, congestion is a daily problem because of the heavy traffic entering from Route 50 on short acceleration lanes. The closeness of the access points for Fair Oaks Mall also hurts traffic flow.

Route 123 interchange. Acceleration lanes are too short for the conditions, so drivers have a tough time merging. That causes traffic to slow on the through lanes.

Nutley Street interchange. This overburdened interchange is the access point for the Vienna Metro station. The demand on the merging areas is going to exceed capacity, adding to the congestion cars and buses face.

Date: November 20, 2013 07:04AM

Yeah, but what has changed recently? It seemed to start getting worse this week (Monday).

Posted by: wyLJt ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:37AM

2040 is 27 yrs away.Glad its so good now.

Posted by: Barrack o. ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:42AM

I blame Bush.

Posted by: Correct me if I'm wrong... ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:00AM

Didn't I hear earlier this year that VA had a budget surplus and but there was some issue with funding for road projects?

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:08AM

The lane shift and construction on 28 near 66 has made conditions temporarily worse.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:55AM

You are correct. Traffic on R28 has gotten markedly worse in a very short period of time (last 2 weeks) during entire afternoon/evening rush (3:30-7:30). I also assumed it was because of the work at 28/66 where they are extending all the turn lanes.

Posted by: derrrr new to town ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:35AM

Aggravated Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone else noticed how the traffic has seemed
> to double on Rt. 28 lately in the 4pm to 5pm
> timeframe? It's a parking lot from Herndon to the
> exit for 66. I used to be able to leave work at
> 4:30pm and get to 66 in about 10 minutes. Now its
> more like 45 minutes to an hour. There are no
> accidents, no cops, it just seems like a very slow
> crawl to 66 East. What's the hold-up?

You must be new. I lived in Herndon for 5 years in the early 2000s; its always been rough. They widened it and added ramps, and its still rough.

If it makes you feel any better the 6 year plan shows a major project to remove the annoying light at 66 which holds up most of the traffic with a grade separate intersection similar to at Fair Lakes.

Posted by: Fuck those soccer fields ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:45AM

derrrr new to town Wrote:
>
> You must be new. I lived in Herndon for 5 years in
> the early 2000s; its always been rough. They
> widened it and added ramps, and its still rough.
>
> If it makes you feel any better the 6 year plan
> shows a major project to remove the annoying light
> at 66 which holds up most of the traffic with a
> grade separate intersection similar to at Fair
> Lakes.

Yeah, the traffic on 28 is nothing new. Its been that way for years.

Wasn't the original plan with building the overpasses on 28 to remove ALL of the traffic lights between Rte 66 and Route 7? Why the hell do we still have that traffic light at West Ox and the one at those stupid soccer fields? Did they run out of funding? Those are the lights causing all of this misery, and of course the one directly at 66.

Posted by: Centreville Sucks ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:58AM

Fuck those soccer fields Wrote:
> derrrr new to town Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > You must be new. I lived in Herndon for 5 years
> in
> > the early 2000s; its always been rough. They
> > widened it and added ramps, and its still
> rough.
> >
> > If it makes you feel any better the 6 year plan
> > shows a major project to remove the annoying
> light
> > at 66 which holds up most of the traffic with a
> > grade separate intersection similar to at Fair
> > Lakes.
>
> Yeah, the traffic on 28 is nothing new. Its been
> that way for years.
>
> Wasn't the original plan with building the
> overpasses on 28 to remove ALL of the traffic
> lights between Rte 66 and Route 7? Why the hell
> do we still have that traffic light at West Ox and
> the one at those stupid soccer fields? Did they
> run out of funding? Those are the lights causing
> all of this misery, and of course the one directly
> at 66.

I think you mean Walney/Braddock and the light at Old Centreville/Upperridge south of 29 will become the new "annoying light" by the time the ones at 66 are gone.

Posted by: Speak up then ()
Date: November 20, 2013 10:04AM

Fuck those soccer fields Wrote:
> derrrr new to town Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > You must be new. I lived in Herndon for 5 years
> in
> > the early 2000s; its always been rough. They
> > widened it and added ramps, and its still
> rough.
> >
> > If it makes you feel any better the 6 year plan
> > shows a major project to remove the annoying
> light
> > at 66 which holds up most of the traffic with a
> > grade separate intersection similar to at Fair
> > Lakes.
>
> Yeah, the traffic on 28 is nothing new. Its been
> that way for years.
>
> Wasn't the original plan with building the
> overpasses on 28 to remove ALL of the traffic
> lights between Rte 66 and Route 7? Why the hell
> do we still have that traffic light at West Ox and
> the one at those stupid soccer fields? Did they
> run out of funding? Those are the lights causing
> all of this misery, and of course the one directly
> at 66.

The limited access plan had phases. The original phases were for Westfields to Dulles Town Center. The next phase which is looking for funding

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/cdot/

Will make it a grade separated interchange between Route 66 and 28 removing the Walney/Braddock light as well as the field signal

Fill out the survey and select that intx project to help it get funding sooner.

Date: November 21, 2013 07:20AM

Speak up then Wrote:
> Fuck those soccer fields Wrote:
> -----
> > derrrr new to town Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > You must be new. I lived in Herndon for 5
> years
> > in
> > > the early 2000s; its always been rough. They
> > > widened it and added ramps, and its still
> > rough.
> > >
> > > If it makes you feel any better the 6 year
> plan
> > > shows a major project to remove the annoying
> > light
> > > at 66 which holds up most of the traffic with
> a
> > > grade separate intersection similar to at
> Fair
> > > Lakes.
> >
> > Yeah, the traffic on 28 is nothing new. Its
> been
> > that way for years.
> >
> > Wasn't the original plan with building the
> > overpasses on 28 to remove ALL of the traffic
> > lights between Rte 66 and Route 7? Why the
> hell
> > do we still have that traffic light at West Ox
> and
> > the one at those stupid soccer fields? Did
> they
> > run out of funding? Those are the lights
> causing
> > all of this misery, and of course the one
> directly
> > at 66.
>
>
> The limited access plan had phases. The original
> phases were for Westfields to Dulles Town Center.
> The next phase which is looking for funding
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/cdot/
>
> Will make it a grade separated interchange between
> Route 66 and 28 removing the Walney/Braddock light
> as well as the field signal
>
> Fill out the survey and select that intx project
> to help it get funding sooner.

Thanks for the input! I went online and took the survey.

FYI: I have been here for 30+ years (Annadale, Vienna, Herndon). Anyone remember back when 28 was just two lanes? I was around when 66 opened up and also the Fairfax County Parkway. (I actually drove my car on both before they were officially opened!)
Attachments:
00706-funny-cartoons-pacman-driver.gif

Posted by: Stickman. ()
Date: November 24, 2013 01:50AM

The OP is correct, this is something new. Tonight around 6pm southbound was backed up to Westfields. Its the light on southbound to go east on 66. The green phase to turn left has been shortened along with the two lanes. Some Richmond hillbilly engineer thought this one up

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: November 24, 2013 05:57PM

> FYI: I have been here for 30+ years (Annadale,
> Vienna, Herndon). Anyone remember back when 28 was
> just two lanes? I was around when 66 opened up and
> also the Fairfax County Parkway. (I actually drove
> my car on both before they were officially
> opened!)

I remember that. I also remember when 495 had a grass median.

Posted by: centrevillian ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:07PM

At the 66/28 intersection - the traffic is getting squeezed into 1 lane due to the construction for the 66 East turn lanes, this leaves cars stacked up waiting to turn left onto the 66 East Ramp, and then you have the cars sitting in line to go 66 West.

What a mess...and I think they paid some 10million for the study to tell them what is wrong with the 66/28 area.

Posted by: adriver ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:17PM

Stickman. Wrote:
> The OP is correct, this is something new. Tonight
> around 6pm southbound was backed up to Westfields.
> Its the light on southbound to go east on 66. The
> green phase to turn left has been shortened along
> with the two lanes. Some Richmond hillbilly
> engineer thought this one up

+1. It is worse in the morning now too, thanks to the short-timing.

Don't know what time machine OP is driving, 28 to I-66 in ten minutes at 4:30p is impossible unless your job is woods cleaner around Braddock.

Seems that stretch of 28 could be made much better by getting rid of the light altogether and make that senior center accessible only as a right turn from 28. Same with the park down the road. Grade change? It is already a grade change, 28 passes over 66.

Posted by: twinnings ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:22PM

it's a show

Posted by: uL79E ()
Date: November 25, 2013 09:17PM

If you moved here within the last 15 years, go back where you came from. Problem solved.

Posted by: it ain't gonna stop ()
Date: November 25, 2013 09:50PM

There is no fix, and will be no fix, unless the local economy goes to hell in a handbasket (no, not the typical ups and downs that have been part of the economy since the great depression, but REALLY goes bad permanently) and much of the local populace dies off or moves away.

The area is saturated, and what happens is that a traffic "fix" in this area will soon generate more traffic.

Route 28. the northern part, is a perfect illustration of this.

In the early 80's, route 28 was essentially 2 lanes each way...and there was no greenway. There was no toll road.

People complained of traffic. It was bad.

They opened up the toll road, widened route 7. Increased development took place near this improved traffic. All of the sudden, commercial development boomed in this area, in part because of the traffic "fixes".

Traffic was bad.

Then, the greenway was built, Loudoun County Parkway was planned, and Route 28 north was changed into minimal exits, high speed.

New development was planned around this new improved access. Development then boomed partially as a result of this "improved access". River Creek, Lowe's Island and Lansdowne benefitted from the future of this improved access...however, the improved access could not keep up with the development that it generated.

Traffic was bad.

New development is being planned around the metro stations...because there will be a metro station.

Traffic will be bad.

When an area is saturated, traffic fixes just generate new, denser development, and soon become obsolete.

Posted by: Cakes ()
Date: November 25, 2013 10:08PM

twinnings Wrote:
> it's a show

Just Hur-ting..Rt 28 traffic will always be strug-gling.

Date: November 26, 2013 12:47PM

adriver Wrote:
> Stickman. Wrote:
> -----
> > The OP is correct, this is something new.
> Tonight
> > around 6pm southbound was backed up to
> Westfields.
> > Its the light on southbound to go east on 66.
> The
> > green phase to turn left has been shortened
> along
> > with the two lanes. Some Richmond hillbilly
> > engineer thought this one up
>
>
> +1. It is worse in the morning now too, thanks to
> the short-timing.
>
> Don't know what time machine OP is driving, 28 to
> I-66 in ten minutes at 4:30p is impossible unless
> your job is woods cleaner around Braddock.
>
> Seems that stretch of 28 could be made much better
> by getting rid of the light altogether and make
> that senior center accessible only as a right turn
> from 28. Same with the park down the road. Grade
> change? It is already a grade change, 28 passes
> over 66.

I agree. Yeah, I used to be able to get all the way to 66. Seemed to suddenly get worse around the 20th of this month. Last night it took me almost 2 hours to get home because of an accident both on Rt 28 and on 66. 66 was literally a parking lot, so I ended up hitting 29 to get home.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 26, 2013 12:50PM

Aggravated Driver Wrote:

> I agree. Yeah, I used to be able to get all the
> way to 66. Seemed to suddenly get worse around the
> 20th of this month. Last night it took me almost 2
> hours to get home because of an accident both on
> Rt 28 and on 66. 66 was literally a parking lot,
> so I ended up hitting 29 to get home.

There was also an accident on Westfields Blvd itself. Right near the intersection of Sully Park Drive. A trifecta of agony. I am thinking once the lane extensions are completed things will return to normal bad from the current abnormal bad.

Date: November 26, 2013 01:39PM

RydellRoad Wrote:
> Aggravated Driver Wrote:
> -----
>
> > I agree. Yeah, I used to be able to get all the
> > way to 66. Seemed to suddenly get worse around
> the
> > 20th of this month. Last night it took me almost
> 2
> > hours to get home because of an accident both
> on
> > Rt 28 and on 66. 66 was literally a parking
> lot,
> > so I ended up hitting 29 to get home.
>
> There was also an accident on Westfields Blvd
> itself. Right near the intersection of Sully Park
> Drive. A trifecta of agony. I am thinking once
> the lane extensions are completed things will
> return to normal bad from the current abnormal
> bad.

Oh yes, you're right I saw that. The only other way I see to get around it, is to take the toll road to Leesburg, get onto Rt. 15, and take that home. It would be about the same time, cost more (because of the toll on the Greenway) and the extra gas used, so not really worth it.

Posted by: Traffic Master ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:56PM

You could also take 606 to 50/Gum Spring Road and head that way. Traffic sucks on there too...but not as bad as 28 and 66-W

Date: November 26, 2013 02:00PM

Traffic Master Wrote:
> You could also take 606 to 50/Gum Spring Road and
> head that way. Traffic sucks on there too...but
> not as bad as 28 and 66-W

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Posted by: Breaking Down ()
Date: November 26, 2013 05:37PM

You must have rocks in your fucking head to deal with that shit on a daily basis.
It's insane.
I understand having a job and travel, but the traffic is so fucked up on rt28 south, How the fuck can you do that day after day before coming to the conclusion it's just not worth it.

Posted by: Deb ()
Date: May 09, 2015 03:46PM

I rode my bike on the Beltway when they paved it before it opened where it crossed over Backlick Road and sled down the sides of it in winter.

Posted by: carman ()
Date: January 05, 2016 10:09PM

make 28 a HOT or Toll road!

Posted by: NutsBehindTheWheel ()
Date: January 06, 2016 11:45AM

This is an old post but I am glad it is being revisited. It is crazy how bad the traffic is now around 28 and 50 at 5 p.m. at night heading East on 50.
It's much worse than heading West on 50 when you exit 66. Hard to figure?

How can that be?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.