HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Got a complete brake job on 06 carrolla, 700 bucks, did I get ripped off or is that normal in Fairfax?
Posted by: cowabunga ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:32AM

New drums and shoes on the back and new rotors and pads on the front plus brake fluid flush and oil change, total was $732.18. Does that sound high?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got a complete brake job on 06 carrolla, 700 bucks, did I get ripped off or is that normal in Fairfax?
Posted by: FONZ ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:33AM

it's in the range, 600-800 is the average

Re: Got a complete brake job on 06 carrolla, 700 bucks, did I get ripped off or is that normal in Fairfax?
Posted by: Sorry You Live In A Condo ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:59AM

And cant do anything your self. That's the price.. 732.18 . The job would have cost you less then 200 dollars to do it. Remember they add to the price of any materials, they have to..Its business plus labor and shop supplies.

And you have to consider that a Gubment Sandcrab worker who makes 120000 a year sitting in meetings, no real authority, just a body in a cube playing games on the computer, posting on FXU. Buying personal items, reading the news and then spending 1/2 hour bull shitting at the coffee pot "How Bout Dem Skins", before they can slip out 15 minutes early , who "work"s about 216 days a year with 144 days off (Weekends, Fed Holidays, Slick Days, Annual Leave) gets 10000 dollars a month ..172 hours a month "work" or leave is about 58 dollars a hour.. Wow! and there's 8 hours in a day..465.00 dollars a day.. To Do What?? LOL Nothing of any value! But that's alright.. They deserve it.LOL .But the greasy mechanic who has to toil working his ass off scraping his knuckles to fix your car should get about 10 dollars a hour ..Right!

Oh Well I know how it is..Open your hood and get a fine.. There's hope .. There are still trailers for sale in Fredericksburg with some nice shade trees you can pull a engine out on..or work under on your car.

DAJAX

Posted by: do it yourselfer ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:00AM

Sounds a little high, but I'm not sure as all those things are things I do myself.

Drums shoes/rotors and pads - (parts) $120 - $160 - 2 - 3 hours of work

Brake fluid/Oil - (parts) $30 - $50 - 1 hour of work

So you're looking at 4 hours of work and around $200 in parts. Sounds slightly high, it's a corolla not Maserati.

Posted by: Advance Auto Parts ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:05AM

You pay about $150-200 to the garage to do the installation and buy the parts for about $200. I did that with the muffler and tail pipe since they couldn't get delivery on a Sunday when I brought the car in. I spent $480.

Posted by: cowabunga ()
Date: November 18, 2015 02:19PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like I paid a little too much. Live and learn. I have a two car garage and used to change my own oil but working on cars is not really my thing. Next time I will ask around a little before I put it in the shop. I have a 2014 Tacoma 4x4 too but its still under warranty and has one of those scheduled maintenance included deals. My corolla brake job was done at MIDAS btw.

Thanks again.

Posted by: do it yourselfer ()
Date: November 18, 2015 02:28PM

cowabunga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
brake job
> was done at MIDAS btw.
>

Well that explains it right there. Find an independent shop, a lot of good gas stations around here that would have done it for a couple hundred less.

Posted by: stop on a dime ()
Date: November 18, 2015 02:32PM

cowabunga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My corolla brake job
> was done at MIDAS btw.

MIDAS is a ripoff. I had my Infiniti brakes done at Mr Tire and Auto. They did a great job and lifetime Akebono brake pads.

For your 06 Corolla, look online next time. You could buy all the parts for around $250-300 and had them installed.

In any event, they are done now. Enjoy.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: November 18, 2015 03:41PM

I would have guessed around $600, but if they actually bled the brakes $700 would not surprise me. Just a guess though because I do my own brakes.

Posted by: Midas ()
Date: November 18, 2015 03:42PM

MIDAS

Men
Involved w/
Deranged
Anal
Sex

Posted by: Mr Ratchet ()
Date: November 18, 2015 06:32PM

I did my own front and rear brake job on my Toyota 4Runner. Didn't need rotors and ceramic Duralast Gold brake pads were less than $100 for all 4 wheels. I watched a YouTube video and the whole job took maybe an hour.

I don't consider myself a mechanic by any means but if you can handle a ratchet and a few wrenches you can fix a lot of stuff on a car that shops will fuck you right up the ass to do.

Posted by: How much you got? ()
Date: November 18, 2015 06:50PM

If you had gone to NAPA in Chantilly it would of been more than that.

Posted by: toe jamb driver ()
Date: November 18, 2015 08:38PM

That talking gold hand on the midas commercial gives me seizures.

Posted by: Don't Care Who Does It ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:30PM

As long as they work and you don't rear end me.

Posted by: tchw7 ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:46PM

like most posts we know your making this bullshit up

the shop has a book of "flat rates" "flat rate manual"

if they don't have it or won't show it to you call the police

(flat rate time)($100) + ~ ($30 to $50) per pad (whatever goign rate is for OEM small pads) + shop fees (like $10)

it's probably like $400 but i'm unsure

they are paying republican mechanics MINIMUM WAGE (if they aren't already fired, they fire them and hire more illegals), while giving illegals married to fx co gov workers much higher rates and jobs rippign off the car manufacturers: that i am sure of %100

Posted by: 4wFnd ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:49PM

> (OEM small pads)

maxi pads are cheaper but you'd pay more since you'd have to keep buying them
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Posted by: kHY3U ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:54PM

oh crap forgot

"never trust what a customer says - EVER"

you probably have "4 rotors" (new or resurfaced, resurfaced is more green, same results) on the ticket

that's another $300 ~ $400 maybe

that's bring you to $700 quick

had you not taken it to a dealer they'd install non-OEM rotors which are famous for having the wrong thickness and causing the BRAKE cALIPERS to drag, over heat, and, leak and fail inspection: SLOWLY - by the time it happens they will be running down the street long gone too far to catch the bastards

you took it to a Toyota Dealer like Koons didn't YOU? DIDN'T YOU ??

Posted by: last 3 posts.. ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:56PM

More bat shit crazy posts brought to you by, svennestle

file.php?40,file=102663,filename=highres

Posted by: htUkF ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:00PM

the dealer uses the flat rate manual - there are two

one to rip off mechanics called "warantee flat rate" (about 3/4 the flat rate - for which they pay mechanics %50 normal pay - which is illegal in USA)

and the other keep the "service writer" from ripping you off bad: which they will do if given any chance. they will even put work done on a ticket the mechanic doesn't even know about and didn't do and pocket it.

----------------------

breaks are charged flat rate documented times against posted hours either way: not more

at any reputable shop it really is that simple: there's no need to compare $bills as if it's a secret, no need at all

Posted by: 9CjLj ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:04PM

I seem to have a defamer / harasser I've already made it clear should stop - one i owe nothing to.

I do not know this person or know why this person is defaming me in secret.

I do know the person is a coward and has no legitimate reason except: except that they must not like it when corruption in fairfax is uncovered

or when it is mentioned who is doing it - with facts backing that up

Posted by: TCLMX ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:07PM

hey

WTOP has job openings

if you want to defame people and hide what the government is doing becasue you like things the way they are going for you that's a great job heh ?

Posted by: last 3 posts.. ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:08PM

You crazy fuck! You want to see my picture, here it is!

sharon_red_headshot-200.jpg

We are watching you very closely. My eyes are on you.

Posted by: svennestle got told ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:51PM

Told!!

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: November 20, 2015 07:37AM

from alldat, which is the blue book for mechanics which prices and hours are generally based on.

Brake Bleed .8 hours per two wheels. 1.6 total
Rotors $72 per pair
Pads Front 99
pad rear 49

labor pads/rotors front 1.3
labor pads/rotors rear 1.3

Oil change $30

so you got 3 hours of shop labor on the brakes
292 in parts
30 in oil change

sio if you took it to a dealer expect to pay about 100 per hour plus tax plus shop fees.

but there are alot of deals out there for like $99 per axle.. at places like firestone....

Posted by: vhFwD ()
Date: November 20, 2015 01:35PM

next time do it yourself and save 50% of that.

Posted by: why should i fix it myself ()
Date: November 20, 2015 02:05PM

Posted by: u4pD3v ()
Date: November 21, 2015 10:46AM

I say fix it yourself- unless you literally have no where to work on it.

Of course, HOA's will say not to- but what you do at 7am saturday they won't know about...as long as you are cool with your neighbors ;)

Pro-tip- if you want cheaper auto repair labor rates- head towards the country. Part of that $100/hour labor is for their high ass rent here in the Fairfax County area. Be willing to head out towards a point between here and richmond and look for a clean independent garage- most will work with you for only $60-70 per hour. OR you can simply go where the cabbies go in DC (if you are not afraid of the "hood"). There are several in DC, NE, along rhode island avenue for a hint. Every bit adds up!!!

Posted by: gated driveway ()
Date: November 21, 2015 11:06AM

Why would anyone even think of working on their own car? You people must be poor losers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.