HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Proposal to open FX high schools 8:30
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: January 06, 2009 05:31PM

oh man if they had done this when i went to HS then I woulda gone more....maybe.

Proposal to open FX high schools 8:30 rather then the current 7:20. I blame redistricting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 05:32PM by ferfux.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proposal to open FX high schools 8:30
Posted by: steve k ()
Date: January 06, 2009 05:53PM

Just a proposal, not going to happen. For a while anyway. The school board says it would cost extra money, they cannot afford any more expenses. They might very well have to get rid of indoor track and gymnastics as it is. While I am against the cuts, gymnastics should stay, as track would have two seasons even with the cuts.

Posted by: jhp ()
Date: January 06, 2009 06:57PM

I heard this was passed today... anyone have a confirmation of that? Fcps.edu doesn't show it.

Posted by: ffx resident ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:36PM

steve k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a proposal, not going to happen. For a while
> anyway. The school board says it would cost extra
> money, they cannot afford any more expenses. They
> might very well have to get rid of indoor track
> and gymnastics as it is. While I am against the
> cuts, gymnastics should stay, as track would have
> two seasons even with the cuts.

I heard on ABC 7 news today that infact they (fcps) have found a way to make this change in starting times without it costing extra money. So it does look as it may be happening afterall.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: January 06, 2009 09:56PM

This is so stupid. They will just stay up later!

We have occasional 3 hour delayed openings now and I still have to wake up students to get them off the bus.

It will be a lot of trouble for NOTHING.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:29PM

Actually, it's been proven that test scores and grades improve for high school students when they start school later in the morning. Has something to do with the way teenagers brains work, their body clock is set later than the rest of us. That's part of why they have a hard time going sleep early. Really, it's not just the parties.

Posted by: 10th grader ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:43PM

Sweet.

More time alone in the morning.

Thanks FCSB. Next hit is for you.

Posted by: steve k ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:56PM

They would still have to vote on it. I just read the article on washington post, and the study did not take into account the busses would hit a heavier morning rush hour.

While I agree sleep is a great thing and I would have loved a later start time when I was in high school, kids would just: stay up later, after school activities would go later, and kids with jobs would have less time to work and make money after school. Pushing school back an hour or two would have no impact, kids are not going to get enough sleep reguardless.

The early start time, prepares kids better for college, as sometimes you get stuck with 7am classes, as was the case for me and when freshman year roles around in college they are the last to register for classes. Also in the real world, many jobs require waking up early.

I'm fine either way, I just don't see any real benefit in it. They sleep an hour later, get home an hour later, do their homework an hour later, and go to bed an hour later that does nothing.

Posted by: ffx resident ()
Date: January 06, 2009 11:31PM

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 07, 2009 02:30AM

If staff recommends it, the school board will pass it.

I am totally surprised. This is the first time, in over 20 years, that the schools have done something that parents wanted. The SLEEP people who got this done are to be congratulated. I never thought that they would get staff to go along with their ideas, but they did! Kudos to SLEEP and to staff for finally doing something for students, something that a parent group wanted done! It's amazing!

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:19AM

This is not the answer to better grades. How about taking the computers, the video games and T.V's our of the kids room. Like somebody above posted, it will just push the day back, go to school an hour later, stay up an hour later.

Then you have the elementary school kids at the bus stop in the dark. And lets face it, we all know somebody that has young children on their own. So now the elem. kids will be getting home at 2:30 and be alone that much longer. Then you have the H.S. kids with even more alone time. What is the effect going to be on people that have child care issues?

Didn't Loudon Co. try this a few years back? And aren't they going back to the old way?

Posted by: never ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:52AM

You mommy's will never be happy.

Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:20AM

Jackie-O! Wrote:
> This is not the answer to better grades. How
> about taking the computers, the video games and
> T.V's our of the kids room. Like somebody above
> posted, it will just push the day back, go to
> school an hour later, stay up an hour later.
>
> Then you have the elementary school kids at the
> bus stop in the dark. And lets face it, we all
> know somebody that has young children on their
> own. So now the elem. kids will be getting home
> at 2:30 and be alone that much longer. Then you
> have the H.S. kids with even more alone time.
> What is the effect going to be on people that have
> child care issues?
>
> Didn't Loudon Co. try this a few years back? And
> aren't they going back to the old way?

No - the Loudoun high schools still open @ 8:30. Check the bus schedules on the LCPS web page.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: January 07, 2009 12:41PM

How will this change effect her0in sales at Westfield HS?

Posted by: K.K. ()
Date: January 07, 2009 04:09PM

I think I heard that Loudon Co. is going to be going back to the early start time.

I agree that the kids today are over indulged and spoiled. This is why the little snots feel they rule the roost. Do what kids have been doing for years. Get your lazy asses out of bed and go to school. I played sports and lived out of my school district, I got up and drove in rush hour to get to school on time, most of the time.

I saw on the news last night some parents saying they were tired of getting up at 5:30 or 6 to take their kids to school. WTF, put their asses on the bus or let them get there on their own, ie. walk or drive!

This is really going to put a hardship on the parents that need child care.

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: January 07, 2009 04:13PM

Absolutely not. This will cause way too much traffic. I am a high school student and it takes me about 25 minutes to get from Herndon to Vienna due to traffic. If start times are pushed back, then people going to their jobs will have to deal with high school traffic.

Posted by: cloggers ()
Date: January 07, 2009 04:23PM

Travis Wrote:
> Absolutely not. This will cause way too much
> traffic. I am a high school student and it takes
> me about 25 minutes to get from Herndon to Vienna
> due to traffic. If start times are pushed back,
> then people going to their jobs will have to deal
> with high school traffic.

the biggest problem is older high school kids who feel they have to drive to school - school's need to clamp down on the habit - it clogs the roads already and is just not necessary

Posted by: suburbanite ()
Date: January 07, 2009 09:25PM

Travis Wrote:
> Absolutely not. This will cause way too much
> traffic. I am a high school student and it takes
> me about 25 minutes to get from Herndon to Vienna
> due to traffic. If start times are pushed back,
> then people going to their jobs will have to deal
> with high school traffic.

Travis, people already have to deal with high school kids driving. Not everyone leaves home at 8 am. In fact, have you noticed how the HOV starts at 6 or 6:30 am? They don't do that for just the high schoolers. Really.

It's all still dependent on the Board voting for it, anyway. And my bet is that they won't vote for it unless they get Gatehouse II.

I still think they should work in the trailers though.

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: January 08, 2009 11:00AM

But it seems like a majority of people are on the roads between 8 and 9. The current start time interferes with traffic, but it makes far less of an interference.

Posted by: Call me suspicious ()
Date: January 08, 2009 11:26AM

This seems like throwing a bone for the public to reduce attention to some of the other things the board has planned e.g.

gatehouse II
cuts
increases in class size

It wouldn't surprise me it they try to sneak some administrative redistricting in as optimization of bus routes (or just to mess with Floris)

At least it might be the nail in the coffin of the mad-cap scheme to redistrict the whole county

I still don't understand how a substantial estimated cost just evaporated...

Feels like politics to me

Posted by: S.O.S. ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:36AM

"We are writing to you on behalf of our plans to resurrect the “Save Our Sport” (aka S.O.S.) initiative which was assembled during the 1991-92 swim/dive season. In case you weren’t around, the purpose of the S.O.S. initiative was to dissuade the school board from cutting our sport after the season was over.

In case you are unaware, our swim/dive programs are in grave danger and may be no more after the conclusion of this season. Unfortunately, this is not due to budget cuts, but the SLEEP2005 initiative, which is currently under serious consideration by the Fairfax County School Board. This initiative, also known as the "Later Start Times for High Schools," supports a later bell schedule. This later bell schedule would directly impact all FCPS swim/dive programs. If the proposal is ratified, FCPS high schools will begin later and thus end later. If the initiative passes, FCPS administrators have stated that beginning next year: all swim/dive programs in all Fairfax County Public Schools will be cut. This is because the Student Activities & Athletics office of FCPS received direct confirmation from the Fairfax County Park Authority that they will be unable to change our usage times to accommodate later arrivals. Thus, dictated by the new bell schedule, FCPS will have no choice but to cut swim/dive next year.

The next school board meeting is scheduled for 7:00 PM on Thursday, Jan. 22, 2009 at Luther Jackson Middle School. In addition to us being a swim parent and a coach, we are also both FCPS teachers. We firmly believe that the loudest voices in this fight should be the swimmers. We are currently considering organizing a student-athlete/parent rally at the board meeting and would like to get your input. We know it may be hard for those who live in the outer edges of the county, but if we can get some representation from each team, and possibly a larger contingent of those who live close to Luther Jackson Middle School, our rally will be a success.

Sometime in the next few days, you will be receiving official information from your DSA which will confirm and elaborate on this issue. We would like to ask your help in establishing a parent contact for your team. This could be your team representative or another parent who has already voiced concerns and is willing to join the fight. We will be distributing new information as it becomes available and it would be great to have a parent contact to help us spread the word.

Please contact us via the “Save Our Sport” link at www.wildcatswim.org – so we know you are aware that our sport is in danger. We will also be posting a petition on our website, as well as beginning a distribution list of team reps and volunteers. We welcome any ideas or input you may have. We know how hard you work and how dedicated you are. The time, effort, and caring, not to mention expertise you give to our children as members of your high school teams is phenomenal. We look forward to working with all of you to SAVE OUR SPORT."

This may affect other HS sports too!

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:42AM

This is a joke, right? I can see cutting indoor track, but this makes no sense and there has to be an accommodation that will meet everyone's needs.

Posted by: Teen ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:47AM

cloggers Wrote:
> the biggest problem is older high school kids who
> feel they have to drive to school - school's need
> to clamp down on the habit - it clogs the roads
> already and is just not necessary

It's called growing up

Posted by: FFXStudent ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:48AM

Awesome, Now have I have more time to get drunk and puke on the bus drivers bus the next morning.

Posted by: Goggles ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:07AM

TomMadison Wrote:
> This is a joke, right? I can see cutting indoor
> track, but this makes no sense and there has to be
> an accommodation that will meet everyone's needs.

No, this is not a joke.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:42PM

cloggers Wrote:
> Travis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Absolutely not. This will cause way too much
> > traffic. I am a high school student and it
> takes
> > me about 25 minutes to get from Herndon to
> Vienna
> > due to traffic. If start times are pushed back,
> > then people going to their jobs will have to
> deal
> > with high school traffic.
>
>
> the biggest problem is older high school kids who
> feel they have to drive to school - school's need
> to clamp down on the habit - it clogs the roads
> already and is just not necessary

The bigger problem is employees who feel the need to drive to work. Employers need to clamp down on this habit and require workers to ride bikes or take public transportaition.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:18PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> cloggers Wrote:
> -----
> > Travis Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Absolutely not. This will cause way too much
> > > traffic. I am a high school student and it
> > takes
> > > me about 25 minutes to get from Herndon to
> > Vienna
> > > due to traffic. If start times are pushed
> back,
> > > then people going to their jobs will have to
> > deal
> > > with high school traffic.
> >
> >
> > the biggest problem is older high school kids
> who
> > feel they have to drive to school - school's
> need
> > to clamp down on the habit - it clogs the roads
> > already and is just not necessary
>
> The bigger problem is employees who feel the need
> to drive to work. Employers need to clamp down on
> this habit and require workers to ride bikes or
> take public transportaition.

I think Friday should be a work from home day, as just about any desk job can be done at home.

Adam

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:53AM

Sorry SOS, but you cannot expect the students of this county to continue to go to school at a ridiculously early hour to support your sport. If going to school later helps academics, how can you ask that they not change it for a sport?

Posted by: shutup ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:39AM

let's get off this absurd issue that starting school at 7:30 is "ridiculously" early. everyone needs to face a little reality here. school may start an hour later, but so will everything else (kids jobs, practices, tutors) and kids will just stay up later doing their homework, etc. they will NEVER actually get the extra sleep they need. and what about those middle school start times, huh? 9:30? what will working parents do when they have to leave for work and their child's bus doesn't come until 9:00am? I guess they can just expect their 12 and 13 year olds to get to lock up the house and get to the bus stop on time, etc. Well, if we can expect middle schools to do that, then why can't we expect high schools to wake up at 6:00am????

Posted by: shutup ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:41AM

shutup Wrote:
> Well, if we can expect middle schools to do that,
> then why can't we expect high schools to wake up
> at 6:00am????

meant "middle schoolers" and "high schoolers"

Posted by: Clo ()
Date: January 14, 2009 07:02AM

Neen Wrote:
> Sorry SOS, but you cannot expect the students of
> this county to continue to go to school at a
> ridiculously early hour to support your sport. If
> going to school later helps academics, how can you
> ask that they not change it for a sport?

Sorry Neen,

This later start is not going to happen. It really is asking the whole world to adjust (not just a sport) their schedules. There are too many people that have something at stake if this change goes through. The ridiculous hour is no different than the ridiculous hour that high schoolers deal with across the country. And what would happen when our spoiled teenagers join all those others at college who are used to getting up early? They would have an unfair advantage. This measure completely contradicts the fair advantages Fairgrade has been fighting. So what is it that parents want? an advantage at college or not? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.