HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Frost MS: inappropriate behavior resulting in relatively serious consequences
Posted by: Relatively Serious ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:13AM

What was it?

Sex?
Drugs?
Rock and roll?
Littering?
Acting like 13-year-olds?

A message from FROST MS

Hello Frost Families,

As many of you know, middle school is a time of transition for our students (and parents). For years it has been a “rite of passage” for Frost students to walk over to Fair City Mall after school (rather than go home) to get something to eat, shop, and hang out with friends. This is particularly prevalent on Friday afternoons. Over the years, some students have engaged in inappropriate behavior at the mall resulting in relatively serious consequences. Recently, we have had large numbers of students heading there on Friday afternoons, and occasionally during the week. This dynamic has led to some unfortunate incidents taking place at the mall.

It is perfectly understandable for our students to want a little more freedom as they enter their teenage years. Letting them have more freedom to make good decisions and choices is important. However, because they are adolescents they are still prone to making poor decisions, particularly when they are caught up in the excitement of being in a larger group of their peers in a completely unstructured/unsupervised setting. As Dr. Carl E Pickhardt states in his article Parental Adjustments to the Adolescent’s “Family” of Friends, “What one would not dare to try alone, one is willing to try in the company of friends.”
Please talk to your child about your expectations for their behavior and actions once school is over each and every day. We cannot demand that our students get on the bus or walk straight home after school. This expectation must come from you as their parent/guardian. If you decide that it is acceptable for your child to travel to the mall, please know that they will be unsupervised for an extended period of time. Please know that if a Frost student leaves after school to go to the mall (or anywhere else for that matter), they may not return to school to participate in the after school program or take the late bus home. While schools do not control or police inappropriate/illegal behavior in the community once school is over, it is not uncommon for these situations to have an impact in the school.

I share this with you because we care about the health, safety, and well-being of our students. Maintaining a safe, positive, calm, and welcoming culture/atmosphere here at Frost is vital to the academic success and emotional well-being of our students. While we will continue to teach our students the importance of ethical and responsible behavior, there is no one more important in our student’s lives than their parents. As always, I appreciate your help and support.

Eric McCann
Principal
Frost Middle School

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frost MS: inappropriate behavior resulting in relatively serious consequences
Posted by: I know ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:16AM

The kids keep getting hit by cars crossing the street, which helps alleviate classroom overcrowding.

Fairfax County decided that union rules prohibit crossing guards from directing traffic, so the kids are on their own.

Re: Frost MS: inappropriate behavior resulting in relatively serious consequences
Posted by: strunk ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:26AM

I know Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The kids keep getting hit by cars crossing the
> street, which helps alleviate classroom
> overcrowding.
>
> Fairfax County decided that union rules prohibit
> crossing guards from directing traffic, so the
> kids are on their own.

Why are the cars crossing the street?

Posted by: Dude 99 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:32AM

I'm curious if this was shop lifting or somethin else like a fight

Posted by: troublemakers ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:35AM

Some kids tried to pay with a $100 at the Dollar store.

Posted by: English 101 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:41AM

Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan Richardson. Where do they get these people?

Posted by: taxpayer#175002 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 11:42AM

Now that was actually a very well written and reasonable message. This is the kind of crap that FCPS principals and teachers have to deal with every day. But I'm sure someone will find a way to blame this on FCPS.

Posted by: No Wonder! ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:04PM

Eric McCann is a George Mason graduate. No wonder he writes so poorly. That school does not check to see if you took prerequisites, as long as you pay your fee you get your degree. It is a breeding ground for FCPS.

Posted by: Eet7m ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:15PM

Glad something was said... I do something over at Woodson on occasion, and when I get there early I sometimes go over to the mall. I've frequently seen the kids (in large numbers) going nuts outside the businesses. Nothing extreme - but just immature, obnoxious, and loud shenanigans. Riding shopping carts down the sidewalk, for example... running up and down and all over yelling and screaming, etc. You know, like unsupervised tweens out of the house for the first time.

If I were a business owner over there, they'd be really really bothersome to me. I was annoyed enough as a bystander.

Posted by: n76bju ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:17PM

English 101 Wrote:
> Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan
> Richardson. Where do they get these people?

Let's see your version.

Posted by: nice try ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:22PM

n76bju Wrote:
> English 101 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan
> > Richardson. Where do they get these people?
>
>
> Let's see your version.

Pay me what McCann gets paid and I'll indulge you. He's another overpaid, do nothing FCPS bureaucrat. Someone should look up how many trips he's taken this year, how many luncheons he's gone to. No wonder the schools suck so much.

Posted by: derpers gonna derp ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:25PM

This is what happens when you let kids listen to the rock and roll music and give them transexual bathrooms!
Get rid of the whole school board! Blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: who made the request? ()
Date: October 21, 2015 12:29PM

Did students ask for transexual bathrooms, no school board member, Ryan McElveen did.

And why can't the Frost ES kids come back for the late bus? Who made that policy? Is that something Fabio Zuluaga learned in Korea, or is it Angela Atwater's way of closing a matter?

Posted by: Seasoned Professional Editor ()
Date: October 21, 2015 09:09PM

English 101 Wrote:
> Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan
> Richardson. Where do they get these people?

Wrong! In my expert opinion, the letter above is well-written. I find it refreshing to see this coming from a Fairfax County school leader. Many leaders in other professions, particularly business, are lousy writers. This educator is an exceptionally effective communicator.

Please don't hesitate to post as a writing sample the letter you would have written to address the same issue. I'll be glad to evaluate your competency, too.

Posted by: Too Dismissive of the Missive ()
Date: October 21, 2015 09:33PM

Seasoned Professional Editor Wrote:
> English 101 Wrote:
> -----
> > Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan
> > Richardson. Where do they get these people?
>
>
> Wrong! In my expert opinion, the letter above is
> well-written. I find it refreshing to see this
> coming from a Fairfax County school leader. Many
> leaders in other professions, particularly
> business, are lousy writers. This educator is an
> exceptionally effective communicator.
>
> Please don't hesitate to post as a writing sample
> the letter you would have written to address the
> same issue. I'll be glad to evaluate your
> competency, too.

I would bet the letter was written by an administrative support staffer at the school. Nonetheless it was well-written - not anything close to poor.

Posted by: Hmmmm ()
Date: October 21, 2015 10:21PM

nice try Wrote:
> n76bju Wrote:
> -----
> > English 101 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Eric McCann writes almost as badly as Ryan
> > > Richardson. Where do they get these people?
> >
> >
> > Let's see your version.
>
> Pay me what McCann gets paid and I'll indulge you.
> He's another overpaid, do nothing FCPS bureaucrat.
> Someone should look up how many trips he's taken
> this year, how many luncheons he's gone to. No
> wonder the schools suck so much.

Let me indulge you. You, are a fucking idiot. You clearly do not know Eric McCann, or anything for that matter related to running a school.

Posted by: because ()
Date: October 22, 2015 10:57AM

who made the request? Wrote:
> Did students ask for transexual bathrooms, no
> school board member, Ryan McElveen did.
>
> And why can't the Frost ES kids come back for the
> late bus? Who made that policy? Is that something
> Fabio Zuluaga learned in Korea, or is it Angela
> Atwater's way of closing a matter?

Because--newsflash--the bus is for transporting kids to and from school.

Posted by: dcetV ()
Date: October 22, 2015 01:20PM

No Wonder! Wrote:
> Eric McCann is a George Mason graduate. No wonder
> he writes so poorly. That school does not check to
> see if you took prerequisites, as long as you pay
> your fee you get your degree. It is a breeding
> ground for FCPS.

Eric McCann was recognized as the best new principal in the entire FCPS system last year. He is a nice guy and very good so far.

Posted by: compared to what? ()
Date: October 22, 2015 01:25PM

dcetV Wrote:
> No Wonder! Wrote:
> -----
> > Eric McCann is a George Mason graduate. No
> wonder
> > he writes so poorly. That school does not check
> to
> > see if you took prerequisites, as long as you
> pay
> > your fee you get your degree. It is a breeding
> > ground for FCPS.
>
>
> Eric McCann was recognized as the best new
> principal in the entire FCPS system last year. He
> is a nice guy and very good so far.

Being the "best of" anything at FCPS isn't saying much. He seems to be a semiliterate martinet.

Posted by: serious what? ()
Date: October 22, 2015 01:43PM

What were the serious consequences?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.